Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PHJF

Real Name PHJF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PHJF
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description VE3D Refugee
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 29, 2003, 02:16
Total Comments 9222 (Guru)
User ID 17251

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > XCOM 2 Delayed
1. Re: XCOM 2 Delayed Aug 28, 2015, 18:02 PHJF

NNNNNNNNNNNIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2015, 11:45 PHJF

The biggest flaw is that characters make stupid decisions.

Pretty major concession to make in a movie about a bunch of scientists exploring a new world and/or alien life. Anywho, problems derived from the movie presenting itself as intellectually stimulating and making zero effort in that regard. It would have probably been *more* successful had they simply sold it as the dumb space thriller it is.

I guess the crux of the issue is in Ridley Scott. Your layman will attach the name to Blade Runner and Alien, neglecting these are thirty-plus-year-old films and that Ridley has been active in the meantime pursuing vastly different goals in his projects.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Aug 27, 2015, 10:06 PHJF

Steam Reaches 1000 games... and five thousand pieces of shovelware. I sifted through my "discovery queue" for a few minutes yesterday for no real reason and 95% of the entries were early access survival games and/or minecraft knockoffs.  

News Comments > Turok & Turok 2 PC Remasters Coming
8. Re: Turok & Turok 2 PC Remasters Coming Aug 26, 2015, 19:36 PHJF

Turok is dated, Turok 2 is not. I played it last year; it runs great in Project 64 and mouse aiming is a boon.

I'd still rather player either of them than Turok 3 or that abysmal reboot.

The trick to jumping in Turok 1 was to either use the overlay map or to start falling *before* jumping.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
14. Re: Diablo III Patched Aug 26, 2015, 09:36 PHJF

That's what everybody said after RoS released. I played for a while, found out how horribly balanced everything was and how inconsequential character progression was, was lag killed in hardcore (some things never change), and put the game down. It was an entertaining diversion, but if there was some inkling of a deeper game in there I must have missed it.  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2015, 23:05 PHJF

I think you might be able to get it to work (emphasis on might)? This is basically the only thing I could find on the matter.

Audigy2 ZS - Dolby Digital 5.1 input

Keep in mind it's six years old.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
9. Re: Diablo III Patched Aug 25, 2015, 22:11 PHJF

I don't know if they'll backtrack on something so pointedly old-school, an effort to blatantly pander to series veterans that do nothing but bitch about how the older games are better.

Don't worry, we don't play Diablo 3 anymore!

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2015, 21:52 PHJF

Old Logitech sets are the best, z5500 was the best PC speaker set ever produced. My sister's desktop still uses the z-2300 set from a build a decade ago, which as far as I'm concerned has yet to be surpassed by any other 2.1 set.

As Logitech products have taken a dump across the spectrum and nobody tried taking up the limited quality PC speaker market (Corsair tried a high-end 2.1 set but it suffers from crippling lifespan issues), you really need to just bite the bullet and get a proper theater. Even cheapo $200 all-in-one sets perform adequately, while a more robust ~$500 investment will net you a receiver and speakers more or less guaranteed to last. I respect that you want to use an old analog 5.1 set, but the reality is you'd need a DAC to do what you want and they simply don't make good/affordable 5.1 DACs.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2015, 17:24 PHJF

Out of curiosity, what does your "very good" audio setup consist of? There hasn't been a decent PC-specific speaker set manufactured in a long time.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2015, 13:41 PHJF

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 11:44:
Cutter wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 11:34:
Yes, that's precisely what society needs, psychopaths with flamethrowers. What could possibly go wrong?

Flamethrower

On the plus side, there's already an emoji for it.

Also I assume most drunken idiots with flamethrowers will end up killing themselves and their friends long before they get a chance to do something dangerous in public.

It's easy to say that, but given both the nature of the device in question and the nature of man (whose criminal recklessness concerning all things incendiary is legendary), it won't be long before there's a notable surge in arson cases and subsequent "well maybe this wasn't such a great idea after all"s. Fire, especially in a liquefied and forcibly propelled form, has a remarkable tendency to disobey even the most mundane of human-issued commands. Hence the term "wildfire."

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2015, 13:32 PHJF

1badmf wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 10:43:
PHJF wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 10:03:
That's a can of worms. HDCP exists exactly to prevent people from doing this. Apparently there exist HDMI splitters that can strip signals of HDCP, but you'd have to be sure yours would do that. So console > splitter > capture card on PC. But then you'd have to be sure your capture card took that signal, which to my knowledge most can only take dolby digital at best. Capturing eight channel uncompressed audio is not something consumer-grade hardware is built to do.

Unless you absolutely positively have to record/stream, there's no reason to send an HDMI singal through a PC. That's what receivers are for.

that's why i'm doing it through the toslink connection =)

Then I think that is out of the question. While you can find TOSLINK-IN options on a computer, none will accept anything other than 2.0 PCM. Will they output DDL/DTS over TOSLINK? Absolutely. Input? Nope.

Perhaps an external DAC would fit the bill:

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Digital-Optical-5-1-Channel-Decoder/dp/B00DEV67TA

But I can't vouch for quality here. Sooner or later you'll have to accept TOSLINK as the legacy tech it is, more headache inducing than anything else.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released
17. Re: Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released Aug 25, 2015, 12:56 PHJF

The saving/loading is because the game autosaves on map transitions, and does a shit job of it. Get IEMod and disable autosaves entirely.  

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Evoland 2
1. Re: Ship Ahoy - Evoland 2 Aug 25, 2015, 10:13 PHJF

Now if we could just get a sequel to 3D Dot Game Heroes  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2015, 10:03 PHJF

That's a can of worms. HDCP exists exactly to prevent people from doing this. Apparently there exist HDMI splitters that can strip signals of HDCP, but you'd have to be sure yours would do that. So console > splitter > capture card on PC. But then you'd have to be sure your capture card took that signal, which to my knowledge most can only take dolby digital at best. Capturing eight channel uncompressed audio is not something consumer-grade hardware is built to do.

Unless you absolutely positively have to record/stream, there's no reason to send an HDMI singal through a PC. That's what receivers are for.

News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
20. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 11:30 PHJF

Now I'm ashamed I encouraged his initial criticism of Star Citizen, assuming it to have been good-natured and lacking in ulterior motive. Should know better with him.  

News Comments > MGS5 Online PvP Paywall
3. Re: MGS5 Online PvP Paywall Aug 24, 2015, 09:49 PHJF

This is a dumb rumor.  

News Comments > Destiny Still Destined for PCs?
30. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Aug 22, 2015, 14:16 PHJF

Gameplay is excellent and the AI is some of the best in the business

lol no

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 21, 2015, 22:27 PHJF

The only movie all need concern themselves with is the imminently releasing Turbo Kid

And I gotta say, I'm all over this small synthwave renaissance of the past few years. I tried proclaiming the gospel to Helf but he wouldn't have any of it.

News Comments > Destiny Still Destined for PCs?
7. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Aug 21, 2015, 18:16 PHJF

For those of you who have played this on console, is there any reason to be excited here?

No. Game had potential (mostly in the single six-man raid the game shipped with) but post release support has been non existent and the DLCs insultingly awful.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2015, 13:06 PHJF

Martian was one of a handful of my reads based on Amazon user popularity, which quickly turned out to be an awful way to find new novels. The recurring theme amongst high-ranking Amazon novels is they all come across as YA, which I don't have the stomach for. It makes sense since the Kindle demo is probably skewed massively toward the young that came of age with Harry Potter.  

9222 Comments. 462 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo