Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PHJF

Real Name PHJF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PHJF
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description VE3D Refugee
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 29, 2003, 02:16
Total Comments 8886 (Guru)
User ID 17251

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Patches
10. Re: Evening Patches Oct 30, 2014, 11:36 PHJF

The patch notes fail to mention FOV, they only make a nebulous statement about "visuals issues when removing the letterboxing". Can't check myself, played this on a console (with maximum letterboxing!)  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Oct 30, 2014, 11:33 PHJF

I almost watched it because, hey, it's Colbert. Almost.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2014, 11:33 PHJF

When did baseball get so many beards?  

News Comments > Natural Selection 2: Combat Friday; Livestream Underway
15. Re: Natural Selection 2: Combat Friday; Livestream Underway Oct 30, 2014, 11:31 PHJF

NS2 bombed because it was a horrible engine and mostly a design regression from NS1.

And Combat was for scrubs.

News Comments > Evening Patches
6. Re: Evening Patches Oct 29, 2014, 23:31 PHJF

Is The Evil Within any good? I mean, Silent Hill good? Or is it more of a pop-up scare kind of thing?

It is a) not remotely similar to Silent Hill in any way shape or form and b) not remotely scary in any way shape or form.

The only reason to play it is if you felt Resident Evil 4 was the greatest thing since sliced bread and want something that handles remarkably similar.

News Comments > PC Valkyria Chronicles Confirmed
19. Re: PC Valkyria Chronicles Confirmed Oct 29, 2014, 10:21 PHJF

Jerykk wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 03:07:
PHJF wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 15:08:
What a weird game to port: going on seven years old.

PC gamers missed out on this genre entirely: Front Mission, Fire Emblem, Disgaea...

That genre being... turn-based strategy? Pretty sure PC has plenty of that.

So you're saying Final Fantasy is on the same plane as Baldur's Gate?

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2014, 17:32 PHJF

Just made bagels for the first time and they turned out quite well. Gonna be great with my (~$8 per pound) coffee tomorrow...  

News Comments > PC Valkyria Chronicles Confirmed
10. Re: PC Valkyria Chronicles Confirmed Oct 28, 2014, 15:08 PHJF

What a weird game to port: going on seven years old.

PC gamers missed out on this genre entirely: Front Mission, Fire Emblem, Disgaea...

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2014, 13:03 PHJF

Tim1_2 wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 11:51:
Was there a specific reason you were upgrading your video card drivers? I typically only do that once or twice a year unless I have a specific issue.

Right, it's definitely best to hold off on video drivers unless there's a specific need to update. nvidia haven't been reliable for a while now with even their WHQL releases, and new drivers tend to be more toward tweaking performance on their latest cards for the latest games than for anything else.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2014, 12:16 PHJF

I expected a lot more from Avengers when it scored 92% on Tomatoes. However trumped up, it was nothing more than summer popcorn fair.

Nothing wrong with that, but hardly worth the praise it garnered.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
6. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 22, 2014, 23:25 PHJF

Supersampling is the technique of prerendering an image at a higher resolution than is to be displayed. A downsample is the resultant image. While this is all great in theory, it uses a shitload of GPU resources, which is why GPUs and graphics engines have been pushing for alternative methods (like FXAA). I guess everything old is new again at nvidia; they must have seen enthusiasts with the GPU power to do it downsampling games and decided to pack it into their drivers.

nvidia's little marketing blurb:

Dynamic Super Resolution renders a game at a higher, more detailed resolution and intelligently shrinks the result back down to the resolution of your monitor, giving you 4K-quality graphics on an HD screen.

is the definition of full scene anti aliasing.

And public, maybe you should try actually reading the article?

Enthusiasts with compatible monitors and technical know-how refer to this process as Downsampling or Super Sampling.

The real question is, why would anyone with the money to be able to run games at 4K not be using a 4K monitor?

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
1. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 22, 2014, 21:08 PHJF

It's called downsampling you fucking clowns.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
11. Re: Game Reviews Oct 22, 2014, 10:21 PHJF

I wouldn't know; I'm not playing anything with ubidrm on it. Sure did look like a great game, though.  

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Flashback Released
1. Re: Jagged Alliance: Flashback Released Oct 21, 2014, 19:38 PHJF

Apparently they wrapped development before the game was remotely finished and slapped 1.0 on the box.  

8. Re: Game Reviews Oct 21, 2014, 15:49 PHJF

I said puzzles don't require timing. The combat is nearly identical to the first.  

3. Re: Game Reviews Oct 21, 2014, 10:51 PHJF

Grimrock is the best game I've played this year. I spent so much time on it over the weekend that I burnt myself out: a late-game puzzle had me stumped for a good thirty minutes before I realized the (extremely obvious, extremely simple) solution. There aren't nearly as many puzzles requiring precise timing and/or movement as in its predecessor, and given the limitations of the engine at work, they REALLY get creative at times with puzzle design.  

News Comments > The Evil Within Soundtrack
5. Re: The Evil Within Soundtrack Oct 21, 2014, 10:44 PHJF

Utterly forgettable soundtrack. The only memorable music is a classical piano piece used at the save stations.  

News Comments > Hatred Announced
41. Re: Hatred Announced Oct 17, 2014, 13:58 PHJF

Yes, it does, it promotes violence for violence sake.

You must have a hard time playing video games if this is what turns you off. I got a kick out of watching Jason Voorhees slaughter nubile teens for years. GUESS I'M EVIL.

News Comments > Hatred Announced
38. Re: Hatred Announced Oct 17, 2014, 09:52 PHJF

This game promotes some of the very worst behavior that mankind can do on a personal level, with a very serious and dark tone surrounding it.

It doesn't promote anything. It's fictional. It's entertainment. If you don't like it, great, fine, nobody will force you to play it.

They certainly met their goal with this trailer based on some of the hostile responses in here.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock II
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock II Oct 16, 2014, 11:45 PHJF

Graphics improved, atmosphere improved significantly, party creation improved, leveling system improved. If you liked Grimrock 1, this is for you.

You just described Game of the Year 2014. I'm gonna be up all night this weekend.

8886 Comments. 445 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo