Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PHJF

Real Name PHJF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PHJF
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description VE3D Refugee
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 29, 2003, 02:16
Total Comments 8835 (Guru)
User ID 17251

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released
38. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Sep 30, 2014, 14:12 PHJF

Anyway back on topic, is anyone actually playing? The reviews seem to indicate that the game falls a bit flat once you start seeing repetition in the Nemesis system but I'm interested in some hands on experiences.

It's Assassin's Creed and Arkham City in a roughly 50/50 mix. The world structure and traversal straight from Creed, the combat straight from Arkham. It's no more or less.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released
24. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Sep 30, 2014, 13:21 PHJF

You know you need to worry when Huber over at Gametrailers complains a game is too easy... and there are no difficulty settings.

Player starts out as a god, and only get stronger from there.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 30, 2014, 08:37 PHJF

I doubt Chris Pratt has pictures of his dick on his phone.  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Season Pass Trailer
15. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Season Pass Trailer Sep 30, 2014, 08:35 PHJF

InBlack wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 05:20:
Ceribaen wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 22:58:

Lore-wise I think it'll make your blood boil if you think too much about it.

Yeah I dont get it. With all the events that took place during the first and second age, you would think that someone would have the balls to use some of that rich lore and those heroic characters instead of making up some random dude and inserting him into the gaps of the storyline...

And then you lose access to the trove of characters who've made LotR so popular. Anyways while this is certainly a standalone affair, in the end it is technically a tie-in with the movies. The setting could have been forced on Monolith.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Season Pass Trailer
5. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Season Pass Trailer Sep 29, 2014, 22:44 PHJF

Who in the heck is the main character guy? A Dúnedain like Aragorn? And when does this even take place?

He is a Ranger in Gondor, and the story takes place during Sauron's return to power before the events of Lord of the Rings.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 29, 2014, 21:25 PHJF

nin wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 09:16:
I'd like to thank amazon for shipping Mordor early...

Except they shipped it from arizona instead of kansas, ensuring there's no way in hell I'll get it early.

Just got my key from GMG!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2014, 12:36 PHJF

It's all hard coded and you'd have to decompile. The modkit release date is "some time after release."  

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2014, 09:34 PHJF

Charisma is only required for a few of the companions. Some of them will not join your party unless you have, between all characters, at least 25 Charisma. The majority of them can be recruited regardless.

The most important thing is just having Combat Initiative at 12+, any lower than 12 and everybody else acts first which is really really bad for you.

I always initiate combat with my sniper, so while the enemy always goes first, they spend their turn almost exclusively moving (because the AI is so fucking awful). You can actually Ctrl+click to select individual party members, so you can have all long-range characters basically kill one enemy while initiating combat. I focused almost exclusively on getting AP for every character; in the end game, all the weapons use more AP than earlier variants.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2014, 00:12 PHJF

Played through on Seasoned with Blunt/Sniper/Shotgun/Pistol main characters with the inevitable Angela on AR and a Sniper and Blade filling out the roster. I added Energy to one of my snipers midgame and Heavy to my shotgunner. At no point did I feel like I seriously fucked up and needed to restart, and that was with having several crossover skills between my characters and my companions.

Shotguns are completely useless until you realize you can fine tune the cone by holding Ctrl, and then they're only slightly better than completely useless. Pistols start out OK (as there are 3AP variants in early game) but fall far behind in the end. All melee skills start out terrible but are fair to great after the mid game (at least when they crit). Energy weapons are useful start to finish and benefit from using the same ammo throughout the game (all other weapon ammo goes through tiers except for shotgun and energy). SMGs are middling at the outset but far outpaced by ARs by mid game. Sniper rifles are good throughout.

As for ammo, as long as you stick to taking burst shots with high hit chances you shouldn't have a problem using heavy weapons. I never had issues with money or ammo. Vendors restock their wares (and their scrap) routinely, so you can't run out. Relying on expensive explosives too often or using too many medpacks (there are multiple healers throughout the game, and they are most often free to use as often as needed) are really the only ways to screw yourself over equipment wise.

It's also necessary to get armor on everyone as the only enemies with energy weapons are at the very end of the game.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2014, 20:40 PHJF

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 28, 2014, 20:21:
Fion wrote on Sep 28, 2014, 14:36:
Nothing is made to last anymore Blue, nothing. Too much money to be made in repair (see Apple) or simply throwing away the broken to be replaced with the new. You think it's an anomaly that everyone's phone tends to start bugging out just a few short months before your contract is up?

Had to replace the floats a few times in the 8 years I have had this house, and just last month replaced the flappers.....odd how I never remember any of this being an issue growing up......

I just defrosted my grandmother's fifty-year-old GE freezer. My parents' brand new GE freezer/fridge broke down (the first of several times) in under two years.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans
32. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans Sep 26, 2014, 14:02 PHJF

As to Dark Souls 2 combat, I don't see that fitting a mass appeal that these games have. DS2 has fantastic combat, but it would dramatically slow down the pace of the game and reduce the number of enemies one can face at any time to just a couple.

They don't need to go THAT far, but the whole "get surrounded by enemies, of which only one attacks at a time, and you can instantly counter attack regardless of character direction" thing is just a bit much. I can sort of understand it from Batman because he's a god damn super hero, but here it just looks jarring.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans
17. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans Sep 26, 2014, 12:18 PHJF

I dunno, I don't much care for this QTE-style combat adopted from Screed and Arkham. Instant counters, traversing yards at a time instantly, "press A to do spiffy animation attack"... all makes me feel pretty detached from the action. Wish they'd gone with a more deliberate, tactile system.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - The Evil Within; Specs Revealed
34. Re: Gone Gold - The Evil Within; Specs Revealed Sep 26, 2014, 09:26 PHJF

You people are putting way too much stock into this. More often than not the requirements for a game are drawn out of a hat. Evil Within will undoubtedly run fine on an older graphics card; there hasn't been an inkling of in-game footage to show otherwise.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M
4. Re: Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M Sep 24, 2014, 09:58 PHJF

Unfortunately the thing holding it back is the biggest part of the game. The combat is just completely basic and poorly balanced.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2014, 11:53 PHJF

Have you any idea how it feels to be a Fembot living in a Manbot's Manputer's world?  

News Comments > New Oculus VR Unit; Carmack's VR Talk
19. Re: New Oculus VR Unit; Carmack's VR Talk Sep 21, 2014, 22:30 PHJF

Is there an ultimate goal for Rift before release or are they just winging it until they decide it's good enough?  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2014, 21:59 PHJF

It's Clive Owen and Steven Soderbergh, of course I watch it. And that MUSIC!  

News Comments > New GeForce GPUs & Drivers
39. Re: New GeForce GTX 980 & 970 GPUs & Drivers Sep 19, 2014, 15:29 PHJF

The 970 is incredible...I find it mind-blowing that many review sites are saying "yeah it's good" or "not bad!"...what are they smoking?

GPU is only as useful as the games (or present lack thereof) it renders.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Released
23. Re: Wasteland 2 Released Sep 19, 2014, 15:24 PHJF

Well I haven't heard any stories yet of Wasteland 2 raping mothers and murdering children, which is pretty much all I need to know before buying it.  

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced
17. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced Sep 18, 2014, 22:00 PHJF

In other news, the FFXV trailer is actually pretty interesting. Then again, FFXIII trailers were interesting, and look how that turned out.  

8835 Comments. 442 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo