Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 6626 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Omerta - City of Gangsters
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Omerta - City of Gangsters Feb 12, 2013, 20:45 Sepharo

Wait for this to drop in price significantly or for some free/packaged DLC to release. There's just not enough going on in the game and the things that are going on aren't done really all that well.

My biggest complaint has to be the lack of immersion. The world does not react to you in any palpable way. You don't get to build and the map will look the same as it did from the 1st hour to 12th despite building a criminal empire. You use special informant buildings to discover other buildings you can rent to create your industries. The buildings look and structure has no bearing on what can be placed there so you can build a brewery in a shack on a pier or in an industrial warehouse and the output is the same. I could go on but you may as well just go watch a gameplay video keeping in mind what I've already described.

The turn based combat at first appears like it's going to be interesting but then you realize that you tend to do all the fighting right where you start since enemies just mindlessly run towards you. The detailed maps with rooms and other obstacles just go to waste.

All that being said, according to Steam it held my interest for 6 hours. That's more time played than the vast majority of games I've bought so not much of a loss for me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 21:31 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 21:15:
How sad is it that Dustman's Carin takes me 2 hours cause i run in and out to sell stuff.....I am such a horder....

Hording/100%-ism is the reason I can't play CRPGs anymore... I just can't seem to train myself to play a game and enjoy it in a "normal" way. To be honest it's a problem in every game but the less there is to do and interact with the more progress I make. Damn conundrum, I want my games to be complex and have a lot to do but when they do I then feel overwhelmed. "Why bother playing right now? I only have 2 hours and I need 6."

Torchlight 2 is a good example of these OCD tendencies ruining my game. Spending 5 minutes deciding which combination of weapons (that I'm only going to use for another hour max) is better. Then deciding that I can't make a proper decision and carry them all along with me occasionally swapping them. It's torture! /

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 11, 2013, 21:20 Sepharo

ItBurn wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 09:26:
I don't like Telltale. I paid for all the walking dead episodes, but I can't play them. It won't continue past episode 2 with my choices! Tons of people have savegame corruption and they do nothing to fix it. I went through the forums and there's no fix for my problem. This is inexcusable. I can't even login to their forums! I log in, it works, but when I post, it says I can't, because I'm not logged in. Nothing works... And of course I never got an answer for my support ticket.

It's something that happens everytime? I know it's an annoying proposition but why not just uninstall the game, delete your saves, and start over?

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Feb 11, 2013, 21:13 Sepharo

Let's just get this out of the way early this time.

cliffski = Independent game devloper Cliff Harris
CliffyB = Former Epic design director Cliff Bleszinski

This is an article by the former.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Feb 11, 2013, 20:29 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 08:19:
Read between the lines here.

Epic releases tech demos for their engine every so often. Without fail, they've become games.
Cliff left Epic. The 2011 has not become an announced game.

Likely answer: it was a sign of a game in development, they were having trouble with the development, game was possibly canceled and Cliff quit, having been drained, or Cliff quit, having been drained, and game was then canceled.

We know Epic has one team working on FortNite, which I think is probably a smaller team than the Gears game got. So that leaves a good chunk of their staff working on something else. I'd figured it was whatever that demo was, looking at a 2014 release date on the new consoles, but maybe it's DOA and maybe they don't have as much in the pipeline as I would have expected.

Rod, Mike and Cliff all left. Probably something fairly traumatic behind it. A "doozy" could connect some of those dots.

Isn't Epic one of the companies you have some insider info on? Actually I think you had said earlier that you've finally exhausted all that.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2013, 19:08 Sepharo

Damn apartment complex only takes a check for the rent. I also just recently finished my first check book... Only 12 years after I got it. 1 down 3 more to go and I'll finally need to buy new checks.  

News Comments > Axl Rose's Activision Lawsuit Dismissed
4. Re: Axl Rose's Activision Lawsuit Dismissed Feb 10, 2013, 14:41 Sepharo

nin wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 13:16:
As much as I'm sure it couldn't contain his full ego, I'd love to see an autobiog of what happened to his career. It would be humorous, if nothing else...

I read this book at a friend's place one day when I woke up too early. I had heard of feuding and eccentricities but I didn't realize their ridiculous extent until I read that.

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. Feb 9, 2013, 18:16 Sepharo

Orphic Resonance wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 11:31:
you should have said "haters gonna hate"

so you can be like the cool kids

u mad

28. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2013, 02:38 Sepharo

Blue wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 23:55:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 23:41:
"Huh, what's this? A banner ad for a Family Feud game? I really shouldn't but..." *click*
"Play now eh?" *click*
Then without warning an executable starts downloading.
"Oh fuck no you don't" *click cancel*

And that's the story of the first banner ad I clicked in nearly a decade.

Was that here?

Yeah, it wasn't direct from the ad, I had to go through their site first. I don't have any evidence to suspect the executable was malware or something. Could've just been a game launcher or hub, I was naively hoping for some registration free in browser Family Feud

26. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2013, 23:41 Sepharo

"Huh, what's this? A banner ad for a Family Feud game? I really shouldn't but..." *click*
"Play now eh?" *click*
Then without warning an executable starts downloading.
"Oh fuck no you don't" *click cancel*

And that's the story of the first banner ad I clicked in nearly a decade.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Feb 7, 2013, 23:06 Sepharo

Hmm looks like they tore down my house.  

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Feb 7, 2013, 22:25 Sepharo

I assume like most software you can do things easily but expensively (in terms of system resources) or you can really brain-up and put everything in a few kilobytes demoscene style but it just becomes more and more difficult.

Now I don't know anything about programming AI but I assume the more complex it is the more processing power needed to run it and run it as quick as an RTS would need. I keep thinking about Civ 5 and how slow it got later into huge games and that was turned based... Wouldn't be practical in an RTS with the current resources game devs are limited to. /ramble

News Comments > Take-Two Takes $400MM
11. Re: Take-Two Takes $400MM Feb 6, 2013, 23:54 Sepharo

They're clearly Mega Millions  

News Comments > Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support
56. Re: Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support Feb 6, 2013, 23:52 Sepharo

I wish you would just refer to your city, or small cities or something else when making those claims instead of "midwest". Claiming the "midwest" is like that is just wrong. Chicago is midwest, Detroit is midwest, St. Louis is midwest, Cleveland is midwest.

Those cities and their suburbs are not the uncultured shitholes you make them out to be. Not everything fine is from LA or NYC.

News Comments > Newell Entering AIAS Hall-of-Fame
9. Re: Newell Entering AIAS Hall-of-Fame Feb 6, 2013, 23:44 Sepharo

Krizzen wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 00:58:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 23:45:
Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 22:34:
Valve created Counter-Strike and Team Fortress did they? That's news to everyone else. Even L4D is stretching it. So really, besides Half-Life and Portal, what other games have they created?

Dunce NO PORTAL IS FROM FULL SAIL COLLEGE STUDENTS

Yes, it was called Narbacular Drop. Pretty cool and free.

They did make the mod Richochet. I think it was included with the "new lag system" patch, an epic moment in gaming history.

I was hoping the dunce, the caps, and the incorrect school would properly convey my satirical barb but I hoped for too much.

... Or are you being cute too?

News Comments > Newell Entering AIAS Hall-of-Fame
5. Re: Newell Entering AIAS Hall-of-Fame Feb 5, 2013, 23:45 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 22:34:
Valve created Counter-Strike and Team Fortress did they? That's news to everyone else. Even L4D is stretching it. So really, besides Half-Life and Portal, what other games have they created?

Dunce NO PORTAL IS FROM FULL SAIL COLLEGE STUDENTS

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion
110. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 22:15 Sepharo

4D-Boxing wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 21:51:
Kids have surprised me, I see things today that I would not have seen when I graduated high school in 1991.

In a positive or negative way? I'm assuming positive because of the sentence that followed. I think critical thinking is a skill that combats the ignorance often at the center of racism. Racist ideas crumble easily when analyzed. I'm so thankful that I had decent teachers in school who managed to teach "how to reason" and "how to learn" instead of just collections of facts and things to memorize for a test.

Sorry kind of side tracked there but I've always felt more optimistic about younger generations than what I perceive to be the majority opinion of "kids these days... " types.

News Comments > Prey 2 Countdown?
3. Re: Prey 2 Countdown? Feb 2, 2013, 18:20 Sepharo

supererogatory eh?

Thanks for the new term Blue

News Comments > Newell on Self-Publishing on Steam
9. Re: Newell on Self-Publishing on Steam Feb 2, 2013, 07:03 Sepharo

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 05:19:
Are you serious? How would Valve not still deserve a cut for growing a brand and a user base of tens of millions of people around the world who use it daily? Plus you're asking them to develop an API for this and beyond that, somebody would still have to own and operate the infrastructure, which ain't easy or free...

I'm just running with the idea I'm not asking them to do anything and of course they deserve a cut for Steam. Try rereading.

Infrastructure could be maintained by open source development.

There's no such thing as free distribution. And anything close to it will be 95% full of spam, scams, and other crap, so I have no clue why anybody would ever want such a "service."

Torrents are free digital distribution past the initial negligible few seeds. Immediately upon release the higher the demand for the game the better the download rates. You would have to maintain a certain seed ratio and it could sip bytes from your currently installed games library that other people want to get. And about the "service" part, that's my fault for using technical jargon, I meant a service in the software/code sense. So say if the dev didn't want to use torrents they could just connect right to their servers and they'd use their bandwidth or Amazons, etc.

There will still have to be some quality control. Hell, people are clamoring for more QC than they have now, or even before they started doing Greenlight. The most they could possibly get away with is a separate store, so the average user doesn't have to be bothered by heaps of unfinished and ill-conceived garbage when they're looking for Elder Scrolls, GTA, and Call of Duty.

Quality control in terms of custom satisfaction would rest solely on the shoulders of those selling. They are ultimately responsible for the payment and distribution processes. And quality control in terms of what the customer is presented or advertised to could be through a genre/tagging/favorites/voting/publisher-packs whatever.

See now how I'm not necessarily talking about Valve here and I'm just running (rambling) with the idea of a network API for self publishing? I know Gabe's kind of crazy but I don't think he's crazy enough to give up the core of what Steam does for free/open source. But he is apparently interested in creating an API that allows anyone to put their game up on Steam.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2013, 07:32.

News Comments > Amnesia Fortnight 2012 Released
2. Re: Amnesia Fortnight 2012 Released Feb 2, 2013, 04:07 Sepharo

Tumbler wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 03:16:
I..I really want that boxed set...I'm not really sure why because I have no interest in the content...I think I just really like this company and want to give them money.

How do they do that.

Maybe it's the brick walls, I definitely dig their office.

Are you watching their documentary for the adventure game?

It's not too late to buy-in still and watch the first 7 episodes (and 6 side episodes). http://www.doublefine.com/dfapay/

6626 Comments. 332 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo