Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 6592 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

News Comments > Newell Entering AIAS Hall-of-Fame
9. Re: Newell Entering AIAS Hall-of-Fame Feb 6, 2013, 23:44 Sepharo

Krizzen wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 00:58:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 23:45:
Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 22:34:
Valve created Counter-Strike and Team Fortress did they? That's news to everyone else. Even L4D is stretching it. So really, besides Half-Life and Portal, what other games have they created?

Dunce NO PORTAL IS FROM FULL SAIL COLLEGE STUDENTS

Yes, it was called Narbacular Drop. Pretty cool and free.

They did make the mod Richochet. I think it was included with the "new lag system" patch, an epic moment in gaming history.

I was hoping the dunce, the caps, and the incorrect school would properly convey my satirical barb but I hoped for too much.

... Or are you being cute too?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Newell Entering AIAS Hall-of-Fame
5. Re: Newell Entering AIAS Hall-of-Fame Feb 5, 2013, 23:45 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 22:34:
Valve created Counter-Strike and Team Fortress did they? That's news to everyone else. Even L4D is stretching it. So really, besides Half-Life and Portal, what other games have they created?

Dunce NO PORTAL IS FROM FULL SAIL COLLEGE STUDENTS

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion
110. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 22:15 Sepharo

4D-Boxing wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 21:51:
Kids have surprised me, I see things today that I would not have seen when I graduated high school in 1991.

In a positive or negative way? I'm assuming positive because of the sentence that followed. I think critical thinking is a skill that combats the ignorance often at the center of racism. Racist ideas crumble easily when analyzed. I'm so thankful that I had decent teachers in school who managed to teach "how to reason" and "how to learn" instead of just collections of facts and things to memorize for a test.

Sorry kind of side tracked there but I've always felt more optimistic about younger generations than what I perceive to be the majority opinion of "kids these days... " types.

News Comments > Prey 2 Countdown?
3. Re: Prey 2 Countdown? Feb 2, 2013, 18:20 Sepharo

supererogatory eh?

Thanks for the new term Blue

News Comments > Newell on Self-Publishing on Steam
9. Re: Newell on Self-Publishing on Steam Feb 2, 2013, 07:03 Sepharo

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 05:19:
Are you serious? How would Valve not still deserve a cut for growing a brand and a user base of tens of millions of people around the world who use it daily? Plus you're asking them to develop an API for this and beyond that, somebody would still have to own and operate the infrastructure, which ain't easy or free...

I'm just running with the idea I'm not asking them to do anything and of course they deserve a cut for Steam. Try rereading.

Infrastructure could be maintained by open source development.

There's no such thing as free distribution. And anything close to it will be 95% full of spam, scams, and other crap, so I have no clue why anybody would ever want such a "service."

Torrents are free digital distribution past the initial negligible few seeds. Immediately upon release the higher the demand for the game the better the download rates. You would have to maintain a certain seed ratio and it could sip bytes from your currently installed games library that other people want to get. And about the "service" part, that's my fault for using technical jargon, I meant a service in the software/code sense. So say if the dev didn't want to use torrents they could just connect right to their servers and they'd use their bandwidth or Amazons, etc.

There will still have to be some quality control. Hell, people are clamoring for more QC than they have now, or even before they started doing Greenlight. The most they could possibly get away with is a separate store, so the average user doesn't have to be bothered by heaps of unfinished and ill-conceived garbage when they're looking for Elder Scrolls, GTA, and Call of Duty.

Quality control in terms of custom satisfaction would rest solely on the shoulders of those selling. They are ultimately responsible for the payment and distribution processes. And quality control in terms of what the customer is presented or advertised to could be through a genre/tagging/favorites/voting/publisher-packs whatever.

See now how I'm not necessarily talking about Valve here and I'm just running (rambling) with the idea of a network API for self publishing? I know Gabe's kind of crazy but I don't think he's crazy enough to give up the core of what Steam does for free/open source. But he is apparently interested in creating an API that allows anyone to put their game up on Steam.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2013, 07:32.

News Comments > Amnesia Fortnight 2012 Released
2. Re: Amnesia Fortnight 2012 Released Feb 2, 2013, 04:07 Sepharo

Tumbler wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 03:16:
I..I really want that boxed set...I'm not really sure why because I have no interest in the content...I think I just really like this company and want to give them money.

How do they do that.

Maybe it's the brick walls, I definitely dig their office.

Are you watching their documentary for the adventure game?

It's not too late to buy-in still and watch the first 7 episodes (and 6 side episodes). http://www.doublefine.com/dfapay/

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2013, 03:56 Sepharo

Rigs wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 21:43:
Unlike Sepharo, I welcome our new steamy, portal-loving publishing overlords and only wish them great victory in the coming war with the traditional publishing tyrants... ;P

I'm one of the bigger Valve fans here. It just seems like they're interested in removing themselves from the process... Like it wouldn't be too far off to do an open source digital market API where 3rd party payment and distribution services could interop. But at that point what's Valve's part; do they still deserve a cut? Even cross-dev sale coordination could be part of the API. Games could make it to the "front page" by simply being popular (page hits and/or sell rate).

1. Re: Newell on Self-Publishing on Steam Feb 1, 2013, 21:28 Sepharo

Use torrents to distribute it and 3rd party payment portals and you don't even need Valve right? Open source digital market.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
22. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 1, 2013, 21:04 Sepharo

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 08:40:
Cutter wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 16:48:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 16:30:
Cutter wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 14:55:
Well where on earth is Rolling Thunder when it's a GOP politician spouting this crap?

It's bullshit no matter what side of the aisle it's spewing from, that should be common sense.

I just find it amusing that when it's a democrat doing it how you rail on about the evils of liberals, but when he's GOP you don't say a word.

I wouldn't talk, all I've heard for 5 years from those on the left is Bush's fault/Congress' fault.

Well, when that's all you're listening for...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
21. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 30, 2013, 20:43 Sepharo

Ant wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 20:27:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 20:17:
Beamer wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 08:26:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 01:41:
Ant wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 00:47:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 19:47:
I watch all my sports for free, live, and in HD. Haven't run into a game I wanted to watch that wasn't on broadcast/network TV.
Free, live, HD, and legally? Where? I watch NBA and CFB.

FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS, TBS... They're in the air

TBS isn't free.

And clearly you're not a baseball fan. But, with the Dodgers getting that insane deal, expect other sports to follow. NFL probably can't, but NBA certainly can.

In my market it is. And I watched all Detroit Tigers playoffs games on my TV for free. Cut the cable subscription back in 2010.
What about regular home games? I'm sad that TWC took Lakers games away. No more away games OTA on KCAL9!

Well in that respect Beamer is right... I don't care about baseball enough to watch regular season games on TV but I'll catch 5 or more at the ballpark.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue - Surfing Jan 30, 2013, 20:33 Sepharo

My favorite version of that song is the one playing from my Apache Huey when I'm squashing infantry with it.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2013, 22:47.

19. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 30, 2013, 20:17 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 08:26:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 01:41:
I watch all my sports for free, live, and in HD. Haven't run into a game I wanted to watch that wasn't on broadcast/network TV.

TBS isn't free.

And clearly you're not a baseball fan. But, with the Dodgers getting that insane deal, expect other sports to follow. NFL probably can't, but NBA certainly can.

In my market it is. And I watched all Detroit Tigers playoffs games on my TV for free. Cut the cable subscription back in 2010.

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 30, 2013, 01:41 Sepharo

News Comments > Morning Q&As
10. Re: Morning Q&As Jan 29, 2013, 21:52 Sepharo

Jivaro wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 21:51:
nin wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 19:27:
panbient wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 16:38:
Fantaz wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 16:08:
Is there something that causes people who work in video games which drives them to alcohol?
Yup. The customers.
Hell, that's most jobs. Including mine.
I'll drink to that.

At the lobby bar.

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 29, 2013, 19:47 Sepharo

News Comments > SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode
35. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 21:35 Sepharo

These guys got all scientific about their color-blindness mode... At my work we just call over a few color blind employees and ask if they can tell the difference between elements  

News Comments > SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode
34. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 21:32 Sepharo

Because this isn't a forum (though there is one) people typically leave comments about a game on its latest news item and the comments don't always pertain exactly to the news.

Things that people are concerned about:
-Always online
-Small cities
-Performance

You could've left it at, "I'm optimistically excited despite what the rest of you are concerned about." But you had to throw some crazy sans-capitals rant in there and now no one is going to take you seriously.

edit: Oops, don't know why I bothered. Your whole shtick here, from post #1 and on, has been the same. Keep on keepin on anti-hater rant guy.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2013, 21:41.

News Comments > Omerta City of Gangsters Demo
18. Re: Omerta City of Gangsters Demo Jan 25, 2013, 01:32 Sepharo

Jerykk wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 01:19:
GMG is selling pre-orders for $25.50 if you use this code: GMG25-XTYYZ-POSL1, along with an additional $3 in credit or $2 cashback, for a total cost of $22.50.

Damn just bought it on Steam too.

Watched this guy playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e77FlAaXYY
He's terrible, but the gameplay is very appealing to me.

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Jan 24, 2013, 21:57 Sepharo

fujiJuice wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 21:43:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 21:32:
Though I don't necessarily support Take-Two here Darabont sounds like a douche in that quote.

Yes, it was going to be called L.A. Noir, based on the book by John Buntin. But the video game company with the video game called L.A. Noire (with an e!) threatened to sue the shit out of me, TNT, every company that actually ever worked in Hollywood. And they have the billions of dollars to back it up, apparently.

Note the stressing of video game... Which at first seems like it's being done, fair enough, to distinguish that these are properties in different mediums. But then he goes on with "actually ever worked in Hollywood" and "apparently" as if he can't believe a video game company would/could dare stand up to Hollywood.

I think you are reading too much into it. I believe he is just saying the lawsuit is so broad that almost any company in Hollywood even remotely related to the show would be sued. I think the 'apparently' is just him conceding that it isn't with it since they could fight a good fight.

Yeah I considered that but the more I read the more I couldn't un-see it. Why put "actually" there? Also why not name the company, I guess it could just be that he doesn't know their name, but just seems like wilful ignorance. And yes, I'm most definitely reading into it too much but that doesn't mean it's not there

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Jan 24, 2013, 21:35 Sepharo

An 18-wheeler full of cash must've changed his mind about not wanting to simultaneously helm Star Trek and Star Wars.  

6592 Comments. 330 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo