Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 6473 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve Living Room PCs Next Year?
23. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 16:50 Sepharo

If it makes PC gaming easier for the masses I'm for it.

Though I would argue that PC gaming is already pretty damn easy these days.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 8, 2012, 06:15 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 04:47:
Zuckerberg doesn't pretend he's some indie guy for the street cred. I have zero problem with people making their fortunes however they do. I do have a problem with phony corporate asshole types who pretend they're not in order to make money. That and this whole rape thing. He's obviously insincere and only apologized because its affecting his bottom line. No different from assholes like Limbaugh.

I don't know that Inman has tried to pretend. He's had links to his dating sites and quizzes with explanation for a long time now. He doesn't live up to an imagined persona that people ascribe to him, that's not his fault. It's not like his comics are trying to be original they're blatant internet pandering. Cats, bacon, zombies, grammar, and ninjas...

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 8, 2012, 04:34 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 03:40:
That Matthew Inman guys sounds like a giant fucking douchebag.

I think that article is a bit harsh. More like a hit piece. I've got a lot of respect for guys like him and Zuckerberg. People might not like the way they did it but they've made millions giving the people of the internet what they('re made to) think they want.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3: Painful Memories
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3: Painful Memories Dec 7, 2012, 01:30 Sepharo

Quinn wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 04:41:
Just a stupid, alcoholic fuck with a fucked up and meaningless life.

Yeah that alcoholic guy with the alcoholic parents who died when he was a kid whose wife and child were murdered and then his lover/assassin was killed when she refused to kill him. He got revenge. And then his life was meant to be super meaningful. So he tried to force it getting involved in something he shouldn't care about... to save his soul or something.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Released; Patched
57. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 6, 2012, 00:35 Sepharo

Orphic Resonance wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 12:24:
Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 01:42:
Orphic Resonance wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 23:47:
Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 23:13:
Far Cry was one of my all time favorites. Far Cry 2 was shit. This is shit.
this game is way, WAY better than far cry 1... also it doesnt have stupid ass mutants
Mmm, you signed up here when? And only made 4 comments, all about how awesome Far Cry 3 is. Paid to promote much?
hahaha, that paranoid bullshit is really pretty silly dont you think? you honestly think im some sort of "shill"?

anyway, the reason this is a new account is because my old one was banned... ive been posting to blues since the 90s, kiddo

Ah so you really are space captain. Here I thought searching "behaviour" vs "behavior" and getting 1:19 was a sign that you weren't. So what's the next name going to be?

News Comments > Planescape: Torment Successor Plans
31. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 5, 2012, 12:55 Sepharo

Why are you assuming everyone is responding/arguing to you?  

27. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 4, 2012, 23:30 Sepharo

ugh, quote is not edit

edit: I guess I'll make use of this extra post.

When was the last time you participated in a 7-way video conference that actually worked? I never have...

You should try Google Hangout or Stickam, they do this just fine.

26. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 4, 2012, 23:30 Sepharo

Stormsinger wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 22:41:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 22:31:
I have friends who get together for table top gaming nearly every weekend. They almost always have one, sometimes two, phone players sitting nearby propped up on a screen facing the board/table. I'm sure it's not ideal but it's there. There's plenty of functioning multi-user video chats out there (Google hangout, stickcam)... just do the same thing with a game.

I know it can't replace it but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done.
Go back to the OP. The question he posed was "Isn't it time to retire PnP?" If today's tech can't replace tabletop environment, then it isn't time to retire the tabletop gaming.
At a minimum, any real replacement has to offer life-size HD faces for the entire group. That's a hell of a lot of monitors, and more bandwidth than most people have.

Neither of things you mentioned there were points I was trying to make. Didn't quote the op or any other post for that reason.

Was just pointing out that there are people already playing actual "tabletop" games with a virtual presence and the other was that a videogame could be made featuring working video chat with a crowd of players.

24. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 4, 2012, 22:31 Sepharo

I have friends who get together for table top gaming nearly every weekend. They almost always have one, sometimes two, phone players sitting nearby propped up on a screen facing the board/table. I'm sure it's not ideal but it's there. There's plenty of functioning multi-user video chats out there (Google hangout, stickcam)... just do the same thing with a game.

I know it can't replace it but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2012, 22:26 Sepharo

I don't know much about it of course but what's so great about Luck?

Looked like he sucked last Sunday, a bunch of way off passes.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/

Pretty poor rating and percentage. He has the yards but he's not beating Stafford there. Though he did win

News Comments > Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements
16. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 4, 2012, 22:10 Sepharo

I funded this game precisely because it was a PC game not being optimized for consoles.
Crank them requirements up!

News Comments > Crysis 3 Specs
53. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 23:30 Sepharo

Jerykk wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 23:08:
Rant: I want a game that has Deathmatch...old school free for all. I cant believe I have to play COD4 Broadcast map to get a real DM game ( the map that the last 2 good servers I frequent runs). Oh and one has turbo mode that increases the speed and that's just bliss, no one spawning and laying down lol just pure carnage and one man army skills. yes I'm old but my twitch skills are still better than teenagers 25 years younger than me. If Chris Roberts can stir up interest in space sims, why cant someone do the same with old school DM?!?!

TF2, Tribes Ascend, Quake Live, Warsow, Nexuiz, UT3... there are still active games that have old-school DM in them.

With the exception of Tribes Ascend most of those games are getting pretty old. Not that there's anything wrong with that... and it's not like the ol' CS formula is anything new either. I know I'm a damn broken record about this but I think GG-DM is the pinnacle of MP FPS gameplay. It drops the map-weapon management you see in Quake and UT where you must memorize the weapon/item locations and routes between them but still forces you to be good with every weapon. You have a team but there can only be one winner so you're in competition with them for the enemy kills. Campers never win because they can't kill fast enough. It's a race to get a kill with every weapon (usually twice on most servers), a nade kill, and a knife kill. And keep in mind that the knife kill is against 15 rushers with automatic weapons who instantly respawn.

edit: Oh something about Crysis 3. There.

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Mode Launches
16. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 22:26 Sepharo

Kitkoan wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 22:06:
necrosis wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 22:01:
Here is the problem with this.

There are no settings in games for 'gamepad only' players as far as I know. So anyone using a controller is going to be at a serious disadvantage in MP games.

If I remember, most FPS MP games tend to give controller players a basic autoaim to help against mouse/keyboard players.

There's 1... Maybe 2 of those games.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Specs
50. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 21:11 Sepharo

4D-Boxing wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 20:56:
Rant: I want a game that has Deathmatch...old school free for all. I cant believe I have to play COD4 Broadcast map to get a real DM game ( the map that the last 2 good servers I frequent runs). Oh and one has turbo mode that increases the speed and that's just bliss, no one spawning and laying down lol just pure carnage and one man army skills. yes I'm old but my twitch skills are still better than teenagers 25 years younger than me. If Chris Roberts can stir up interest in space sims, why cant someone do the same with old school DM?!?!

If you want twitch DM like that you should play some GunGame on CS:GO.

News Comments > Return to Return to Infinite Space
4. Re: Return to Return to Infinite Space Dec 3, 2012, 20:28 Sepharo

jimnms wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 20:23:
Flatline wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 14:33:
Basically, it's going to play like a faster version of FTL, with a slightly more tactical combat screen and less crew/system management.

So you're basically saying it's nothing like FTL. From the video it looks like a mix of SPAZ and GSB.

It's very much like FTL but without the crew/system management.

You have a limited amount of time to explore the galaxy, at locations you encounter enemies (flee/fight/trade), events, and stores. You upgrade your ship with swappable/tradeable items. You can unlock new ships, build your own.

News Comments > Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions
37. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 30, 2012, 14:26 Sepharo

Beelzebud wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 14:15:
Sepharo wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 23:26:
Beelzebud wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 22:54:
The .01% of the audience that can program the computer will love it. I'm sorry, but just "whipping up" an emulator that plays games, or making navigational software for flying the ship isn't going to be something a lot of people are going to be able to do. Seems like a pretty tiny niche audience to go after.

I'm guessing the language/api isn't going to be as complex as you think. I remember an old game where you "programmed" mining robots with really simple routines. There are a few very simple flash games like that too.

I'm not going by a guess, I'm going by what he's said about it. It's an emulated 16-BIT CPU. It is programmed like you would program any 16-BIT computer. That might be "simple" by today's standards, but that's only for someone that can already code. It's about as niche as it gets for a 'game'.

At its lowest level. I still think there will be a ship api for simple interactions. Probably one that will be expanded by those with the programming knowledge to do so.

_homePlanet = (13434, -1242, -2324)
Ship.Target(_homePlanet)
Ship.Throttle = 90
Ship.OpenBayDoor

etc.

I'm expecting it to be complex if you want it to be, easy if you want it to be, or no programming at all if you want to just use the shareable pieces created by other players.

News Comments > Humble THQ Bundle
34. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Nov 30, 2012, 13:16 Sepharo

Alamar wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 11:12:
Sepharo wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 01:38:
Nah they actually give you a second key for Saints Row 3. Which I already have, so I couldn't enter it...
*cough* does anyone want sr3? ahem.

edit: err... if for some reason you can't or won't get it for a fraction of a dollar in this bundle.

I already have most of the bundle, and what I don't have, I have no interest in...

But peeps keep talking good about SR3, so while I'm not willing to spend $6, I'd take a free copy : )

-Alamar

I don't see you in the Blue's group on Steam. You (or anyone else I guess, first come first server) can message me on Steam (Sepharo) and I'll paste you the SR3 key.

23. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Nov 30, 2012, 01:39 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 01:30:
Each game will have a separate redeemable Steam key, so you can just email the keys to whomever you want to gift the game to.

One key for the whole bunch except a separate key for SR3.

22. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Nov 30, 2012, 01:38 Sepharo

DrEvil wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 01:27:
Creston wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 01:12:
Man, that has to be the craziest value bundle of all time.

If I didn't already have everything except Darksiders, I'd pick this up. In fact, I may just pick it all up again and give everything away. (Edit, since they give Steam keys, would that even be possible if I already had almost everything? Steam doesn't give you double copies, does it?)

Creston

No can do. They only give you one key for all the games.

Nah they actually give you a second key for Saints Row 3. Which I already have, so I couldn't enter it...
*cough* does anyone want sr3? ahem.

edit: err... if for some reason you can't or won't get it for a fraction of a dollar in this bundle.

News Comments > Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions
13. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 29, 2012, 23:27 Sepharo

Dades wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 22:58:
Is the game going to have programmer graphics that are never replaced again? I'm not a huge graphics whore but I like decent looking space games and they aren't particularly difficult to make for artists. With all of the money and success from Minecraft he can afford some production value now, right?

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

May as well let the community make their own textures just like Minecraft.

6473 Comments. 324 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo