Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 6605 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2013, 11:31 Sepharo

"We're trying to keep the popularity of weed candy from growing so we sent an informational flyer home with every student and put an article in the local newspaper and online."  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs in Q2
2. Re: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs in Q2 Feb 19, 2013, 22:33 Sepharo

I really wish other adventure/fps games would make use of their mouse gestures. They turned them down in Amnesia compared to Penumbra but I still think it adds so much to the genre. Opening a drawer or door by click holding and dragging just adds that extra immersion that a single click doesn't. It's rarely used as a game mechanic but to me it's more about the feel.  

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Feb 19, 2013, 22:14 Sepharo

At my job I'm not the only one who uses WASD as the "home row" for typing.  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Feb 16, 2013, 18:43 Sepharo

The President  

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Feb 16, 2013, 16:40 Sepharo

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 06:41:
PHJF wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 18:52:
Perhaps it's more accurate to say that gameplay SHOULD trump everything else, because isn't that why we play games?

That's funny because I don't see too many genuinely unique games coming out these days. We have all these games that not only play roughly identically but also present the kind of writing any third grader could muster. Presentation is king.

Yeah, "back in the day" the thing I would remember most about any given game, when all was said and done, was the the gameplay. But games have moved well beyond Pong. Cheap entertainment like that is cultural junk food and ultimately isn't going to make a lasting impression on people. It takes a story with colorful, real, memorable characters to pull that off. What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Portal? I'm willing to bet a lot of people, myself included, think of GLaDOS. If Portal were just about portals, would it still be fun? Yeah, sure. But it wouldn't have made a fraction of the impact it had on the community without its quirky writers.

Portal is everything that is wrong with modern videogames.

Then I don't wanna be right.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2013, 16:25 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 16:21:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 15:42:
Cutter wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 14:45:
I'd like to try a cruise at least once. For the people I know that have been on them they said they were pretty awesome, particularly the dining aspects. You just constantly pig out I'm told.

You don't need a cruise for that aspect, there are also all inclusive resorts. My favorite vacation though was renting a villa in Acapulco. You get your own staff: head of house, chef, maids, driver, bartender. Sit in the infinity pool on a cliff looking down at the bay while they bring you drinks. They ask you what you want for your meals and do all the shopping. If you want to go to the beach or into town have the driver take you. Get all your laundry done before you come home. Tons of other services and perks all in a beautiful villa nestled in the cliff mansions.

Sounds like it would be expensive but we found it comparable with a cruise or resort and even cheaper in many aspects. But the best part is your alone and don't have your fellow tourists to annoy you.

That sounds sweet, Seph. How did you find it? How much was it?

All credit goes to my mom on that one, she's great at planning vacations. Sadly I also can't get you a price other than "comparable to a resort or cruise" heh. But what I can do is get you the place: http://www.acapulcoluxuryvillas.com/villas_for_rent/acapulco/cielo_azul/

Looks like they renamed it since we were there... That site also let's you browse many others. I think when we were there it wasn't associated with a company running the rest of the villas for rent as it appears to be now. That might've made the price go up but looking at the rest on the site I'm guessing it's one of the cheapest. Also the idea is to go with 7+ and split it. There's 5 (6?) bedrooms, some with a king bed, others with two queens.

edit: Here's a short video I took when we arrived: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGWkkF0KnBA Ignore my goofy voice at the end heh.

edit2: We went in 2010 which is when the violence in Acapulco was just starting to get really bad. That could've affected the prices. To be honest I don't know if it's gotten worse or better but expect the price to reflect whichever. We went to Wal-Mart one day and it was under army protection in the parking lots and many times when we we're out on the roads we'd be behind an army truck full of guys armed to the teeth. Some might be put off by that but we honestly felt more secure knowing those guys were around the city. But really you spend more time at the villa relaxing, drinking, and eating then you do in Acapulco.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2013, 16:38.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2013, 15:42 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 14:45:
I'd like to try a cruise at least once. For the people I know that have been on them they said they were pretty awesome, particularly the dining aspects. You just constantly pig out I'm told.

You don't need a cruise for that aspect, there are also all inclusive resorts. My favorite vacation though was renting a villa in Acapulco. You get your own staff: head of house, chef, maids, driver, bartender. Sit in the infinity pool on a cliff looking down at the bay while they bring you drinks. They ask you what you want for your meals and do all the shopping. If you want to go to the beach or into town have the driver take you. Get all your laundry done before you come home. Tons of other services and perks all in a beautiful villa nestled in the cliff mansions.

Sounds like it would be expensive but we found it comparable with a cruise or resort and even cheaper in many aspects. But the best part is your alone and don't have your fellow tourists to annoy you.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2013, 15:53.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
30. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 16, 2013, 04:43 Sepharo

I only have multiple tabs open related to the current specific task. I won't keep tabs open for utility usually they just represent a queue of things to look at. Like right now I have 3 more Blue's threads to look at tabbed up and ready to go but nothing else. Often that goes well over 9 though. IT'S WELL OVER 9!!!!  

News Comments > Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3
22. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 15, 2013, 00:50 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 22:54:
Minecraft is perfect because it is how it is and you can't question it with many people.

I've never called it perfect it's far from that, it's one of the buggiest games out there.

News Comments > More Valve Layoffs
45. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 20:52 Sepharo

I think it just means that Gabe decided to dad-up and finally get rid of some folks who were hanging around not contributing much. My guess is that with their management structure it makes it awkward to get rid of people so that list was just filling up.

Steam sales -> we have greenlight and want a self-publishing API
Hardware -> we picked up too many of you guys and it turns out we're probably not going to be making hardware
Everyone else -> culture clashes / not contributing

And like I said earlier I doubt these people were let go without some significant help. I'd bet they even knew ahead of time.

19. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 20:43 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 14:35:
Orphic Resonance wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 13:38:
no they still havent delivered on that or on many other promises (character upgrades, dungeons, towns, and so forth have only got the most minor upgrades in the past 2 years.. its pretty sad considering how much money flows into that company due to that game)

with that said, the community has picked up all the slack, pretty much

if you decide to play i strongly recommend http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1585216-thaumcraft-303-updated-122013/

that mod is easily 10x better and more well made than original minecraft itself.. combined with a few other mods, it actually becomes something of a real game

See I tried to say this in a previous thread and got a lot of flak for it. I like Minecraft but man, they really just throw everything at the wall, hope something sticks and move on to the next round. The community is totally driving that game.

If you're referring to our discussion, I gave you flak for calling the game "essentially digital lego" and claiming it was "unfinished". Notch talks/talked about features he'd like to add on twitter all the time. Some of them were added some of them weren't and of the ones that were added I don't recall there being a concrete definition of how they would operate. I see character XP, towns, dungeons, and enchanting in the game... My friends who still play the game use that stuff all the time and I don't think they consider those features unfinished.

18. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 01:33 Sepharo

I'm sure they were let go very comfortably.  

10. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 13, 2013, 22:38 Sepharo

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 22:07:
Cutter wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:40:
One of us! One of us! Gooba gobba! Gooba gobba!
*googles*

I dont understand

It's from Freaks.

2. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 13, 2013, 21:49 Sepharo

Gotta get me some of that Notch money.  

News Comments > PC Brütal Legend Nears
16. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 21:30 Sepharo

I actually thought this was already on PC for some reason and was just wondering the other day why I didn't have it yet.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
11. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 13, 2013, 21:16 Sepharo

ItBurn wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 09:33:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 21:26:
ItBurn wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 09:28:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 21:20:
ItBurn wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 09:26:
I don't like Telltale. I paid for all the walking dead episodes, but I can't play them. It won't continue past episode 2 with my choices! Tons of people have savegame corruption and they do nothing to fix it. I went through the forums and there's no fix for my problem. This is inexcusable. I can't even login to their forums! I log in, it works, but when I post, it says I can't, because I'm not logged in. Nothing works... And of course I never got an answer for my support ticket.

It's something that happens everytime? I know it's an annoying proposition but why not just uninstall the game, delete your saves, and start over?

Hells no. There's no way to skip anything in this game. It would take hours. Why would I want to waste my time like that? It's not like my mind was blown from the first two episodes... They were... OK.

Well considering there's a bunch of choices to make you could at least experience a slightly different play through. You've only played 2 episodes, and you won't have to re-figure out any puzzles (not that they're any challenge anyway). I'd say you're looking at about 4-5 hours right?

I understand your frustration but I would say that it's uncommon for any developer to fix corrupted saves. Typically you just need to start over... Sorry that sucks.

The saves aren't corrupted in my opinion. They simply aren't loaded properly by the game. Some people who had this problem managed to make the game load it properly. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Why would I waste my time with this when there are tons of other good/better games out there? Don't answer, it doesn't matter, there's NO WAY I'm replaying it :p

I just figured you wanted to play the other episodes / the game you paid for.

News Comments > Valve Engineer Fired
26. Re: Valve Engineer Fired Feb 13, 2013, 20:59 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 20:27:
Dev wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 18:04:
Beelzebud wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 17:54:
Yeah imagine that. They want people to work with others. So communistic!

It's amazing how people are. Valve releases L4D2 and people flip out accusing them of pushing titles out. They hold back on continuing HL until they have something great, and people whine because they don't release enough.

Meanwhile in past decade they've revolutionized how we buy games, have released around 10 games, and back-ported everything they've made to Mac and Linux.

Get some perspective FFS.
There's a difference between releasing a game once every 7+ years, and releasing a sequel in ONE YEAR. And not only did they push it out, but they broke numerous promises to L4D1 buyers about additional content and support.

You forgot to mention revitalizing the indie industry.

One can acknowledge valve's contributions to PC gaming, and enjoy playing games on steam, but have some valid criticisms at the same time. Imagine that.

Other than the frequent annual sales, prices have remained at 60.00 per new game....retail OR direct - which is a scam.

I'd say they've made deep and frequent discounts more popular than they were but they haven't affected MSRP, I don't think they're really capable of that.

News Comments > etc., etc.
12. Re: etc., etc. Feb 12, 2013, 23:55 Sepharo

That's the post I'm too lazy to write Creston.

Reading that interview kind of pissed me off. He approached Kickstarter as if it was free money and now derides it as a lottery. People just weren't interested and then you sabotaged it.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 12, 2013, 21:26 Sepharo

ItBurn wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 09:28:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 21:20:
ItBurn wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 09:26:
I don't like Telltale. I paid for all the walking dead episodes, but I can't play them. It won't continue past episode 2 with my choices! Tons of people have savegame corruption and they do nothing to fix it. I went through the forums and there's no fix for my problem. This is inexcusable. I can't even login to their forums! I log in, it works, but when I post, it says I can't, because I'm not logged in. Nothing works... And of course I never got an answer for my support ticket.

It's something that happens everytime? I know it's an annoying proposition but why not just uninstall the game, delete your saves, and start over?

Hells no. There's no way to skip anything in this game. It would take hours. Why would I want to waste my time like that? It's not like my mind was blown from the first two episodes... They were... OK.

Well considering there's a bunch of choices to make you could at least experience a slightly different play through. You've only played 2 episodes, and you won't have to re-figure out any puzzles (not that they're any challenge anyway). I'd say you're looking at about 4-5 hours right?

I understand your frustration but I would say that it's uncommon for any developer to fix corrupted saves. Typically you just need to start over... Sorry that sucks.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Omerta - City of Gangsters
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Omerta - City of Gangsters Feb 12, 2013, 20:45 Sepharo

Wait for this to drop in price significantly or for some free/packaged DLC to release. There's just not enough going on in the game and the things that are going on aren't done really all that well.

My biggest complaint has to be the lack of immersion. The world does not react to you in any palpable way. You don't get to build and the map will look the same as it did from the 1st hour to 12th despite building a criminal empire. You use special informant buildings to discover other buildings you can rent to create your industries. The buildings look and structure has no bearing on what can be placed there so you can build a brewery in a shack on a pier or in an industrial warehouse and the output is the same. I could go on but you may as well just go watch a gameplay video keeping in mind what I've already described.

The turn based combat at first appears like it's going to be interesting but then you realize that you tend to do all the fighting right where you start since enemies just mindlessly run towards you. The detailed maps with rooms and other obstacles just go to waste.

All that being said, according to Steam it held my interest for 6 hours. That's more time played than the vast majority of games I've bought so not much of a loss for me.

6605 Comments. 331 pages. Viewing page 43.
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo