Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 6473 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black Dec 18, 2012, 02:00 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 01:13:
I am glad for all of the elderly who manage to stay active and continue to live a fulfilling life through their 70's right into their 80's and sometimes even beyond. But after Parkinson's and dementia racked her body and brain, all my grandmother wanted to was to be allowed to die. Apparently we are too "civilized" to allow such a thing, so instead the elderly who are suffering and miserable are forced to continue existing in a life of torment. Why is it that it is considered humane to euthanize a pet which has gotten to the point of not being able to live a fulfilling pain-free life but not to afford humans the same luxury?

Two of my grandparents chose to die... I don't really know a way of softening that up because that's what they did. The hospital or law would say that they chose to forgo treatment. One had a brain tumor and the other kidney failure. Their children and families all supported them and/or came to terms with their decision. They left the hospital, came home, and hospice services "made them comfortable".

So euthanasia is nearly possible but there needs to be this awful implied you're-not-saying-what-I-think-you-are discussion around it skirting legality.

edit: I thought it was here, but it must've been another forum where I discussed this previously. I think there was an article where a woman was suing the hospice because she thought they killed her loved one with morphine overdose or something.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Into the Black Dec 18, 2012, 00:12 Sepharo

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 22:22:
Well the pressure for more "old people" and "less money" is going to make all retirement centers pretty bland environments soon enough, not to mention there won't be any social security for anyone who is in their 20ies or 30ies now... imo... I guess I am just saying that to me, living with other old people together in a holding cell is NOT something to strife for.

Also you make it sound like someone living alone is by definition lonely... lot's of people do this by choice. Choose only animals because they can not and do not want other humans around them anymore. You have seen retirement centers? Well so did I, what I saw made me decide never to pursue this path. I knew an very old guy (my neighbor until recently), he was more than 90.. Stukka pilot in WW2, got shot down twice, shrapnel in head, chest. He died recently, but he left his wife (87) who couldn't handle the huge house they had anymore. So she went to a retirement home. It costs 2000 a month. and you know what the first thing was that happened? She got robbed, right there. Put her jewelry in a locked box in a drawer in her room, the next morning the box was gone. Staff "doesn't know what happened" ... When I heard that I was this close to punching the guy who told me this. I visited there with her son.... they also have no internet, no computers. No tablets. They are completely degenerated there, living like in the stone age, rolled in front of a TV and rolled in front of food. Even though she can still walk albeit slowly, they put her in a rolling chair. Because it's too much hassle?!?!?!....

This is how society here acts towards old people. You pay money to be maybe robbed, to be most definitely degenerated. As a thing, a product. Not a living human with feelings, urges, wants and needs.

I agree that assisted living is maybe a better way, but you forget that assisted living is VERY expensive, hardly anyone will be able to afford it in 50 years. And especially here in Germany, assisted living costs upwards 3000 a month. I know not a SINGLE retiree who can afford it. It is literally for the upper 1%.. as much as I hate this classification..

Like I said, it depends on the place. And of course money has nearly everything to do with it, that's reality in any life situation unfortunately. My grandparents were not wealthy people but fortunately they come from a time when you worked hard and you got a pension and you paid off your home and kept it nice. The way most places do it is they take just about your entire "estate" and you stay there... forever, but that's the plan.

edit: Damn Batman you have young grandma, mines 89. She doesn't drive and lives on her own and if she's stubborn about not moving into assisted living where her own daughter works you know there's no way she's moving into her home.

5. Re: Into the Black Dec 17, 2012, 22:07 Sepharo

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 21:54:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 21:32:
It really depends on the "retirement center" I think. I wish my grandmother would spend her money living comfortably and socializing among her peers in independent/assisted living instead of spending her time alone at home watching TV.

She thinks she's saving the money so she can give it to us but we would rather she not be lonely and be safe. Yes we do visit but not often enough to constitute a social life. So back to my first sentence... I wouldn't want her in a poor "nursing home", bed-ridden in the dark with poor service but an independent/assisted living apartment with dining hall etc would be great.

This is how my mom lives. 70, smoker, on oxygen, ocpd and a few other medical issues, uses a wheel walker, lives in an apt with 2 cats and a dog that she can't properly take care of. While my grandmother lived in a senior apt complex in California that had things going on all the time, very social environment, etc. If my mom survives another 5 years it'll be a miracle, but I'd rather have her in some sort of nursing home/community then living alone unable to properly live.

The really silly part about my grandmother's situation is that my mom's job is selling assisted living here: http://www.oakwoodcommon.org/

So she could be closer to us, live at the same place my mom works, and likely get a some kind of discount. I visit there all the time, it's very nice and the people there are lively. In contrast to a place I volunteered at with my dog that was dark and dirty and frankly reminded me of parts of Midnight Express.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
25. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 17, 2012, 21:43 Sepharo

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 18:23:
Creston wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 11:34:
While I abhor the Westboro Baptist Church (or the fact they call themselves baptist when they are just a cult designed to make money out of lawsuits), the idea that Anonymous is going to decide what is acceptable free speech and what isn't is just as appalling.

You can't claim to be in favor of free speech (or free anything, really), and then rail out against it when people use it to say or do something you don't like. Sadly, this is something a lot of people in the US still fail to understand.

I think WBC's idea to picket the elementary school is disgusting, but it DOES fall under free speech.

Creston

Liberals do that all the time though.

RollinThundrs do this ^ all the time.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2012, 21:55.

3. Re: Into the Black Dec 17, 2012, 21:32 Sepharo

It really depends on the "retirement center" I think. I wish my grandmother would spend her money living comfortably and socializing among her peers in independent/assisted living instead of spending her time alone at home watching TV.

She thinks she's saving the money so she can give it to us but we would rather she not be lonely and be safe. Yes we do visit but not often enough to constitute a social life. So back to my first sentence... I wouldn't want her in a poor "nursing home", bed-ridden in the dark with poor service but an independent/assisted living apartment with dining hall etc would be great.

News Comments > Yerli on Crysis 3's Superior Graphics
32. Re: Yerli on Crysis 3's Superior Graphics Dec 15, 2012, 21:15 Sepharo

I've probably installed and tried to play Crysis four times now... And everytime I barely make it 2-4 missions in before I'm bored to tears. It's a bad move to give that many "powers" right at the beginning in my opinion. I'm having more fun and variation so far with Far Cry 3 (and 2 before it).  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
42. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 22:05 Sepharo

Jivaro wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 21:52:
PHJF wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 21:41:

Huh...I'm shocked. All of these comments and zero fucks given about the ban on loud commercials. I have been waiting for this day for a long, long time.

I don't think anyone here is silly enough to watch live television?

Sporting events...during which I am usually pissing out beer during the commericals. That is about all I watch on live TV anymore. Everything else is on-demand or DVR. A year or so from now when my DirecTV contract is up I will probably switch entirely to broadband based content sources provided I can get all the NFL games in some way. Sports really are the only reason I haven't already switched. In any event, commercials haven't mattered to me for a long time. I have been muting/fast forwarding them for a long time.

I guess for people who do watch them this is a great thing....

I'm actually posting while my Hulu commercials run.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Dec 12, 2012, 22:45 Sepharo

That's one of the better short descriptions I've seen of Minecraft.  

News Comments > Goodbye Deponia Announced
6. Re: Goodbye Deponia Announced Dec 12, 2012, 22:14 Sepharo

coldcut wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 03:33:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 21:41:
Thought the first one was pretty great. Still haven't loaded up the second yet though.
The second one should be even better (and longer, for that matter). Unfortunately I haven't come to start the first game yet, as the queue of games to play is just too big for me. Right now I'm having a blast playing through The Book of Unwritten Tales, which is for me one of the best adventures in recent times (if you are into that kind of jokes), and the second one is already waiting for me in my GoG library.

Daedalic Entertainment is really an amazing developer, they are so close to their fans, they make a lot of stuff with and about them. The boss of Daedalic, Poki (the one who sings the opening song) made a duet of that song with a famous German Let's Player (Gronkh), and they even included the full Let's Play through two of their previous games (Edna breaks out and Harveys new eyes) of Gronkh on the newly released special edition game DVDs. That's hilarious and amazing too, in my opinion, I've never seen a developer so close to their fans.

I played a bit of unwritten tales but something felt a bit off for me. Deponia felt more like an old LucasArts adventure.

News Comments > Trion Layoffs
14. Re: Trion Layoffs Dec 12, 2012, 21:43 Sepharo

Rift is the only MMO I've ever considered going back to. Mind you, I haven't... but I've considered it. Can't say the same about any of the other major MMOs I've played.  

General Discussion > Facebook is down,
2. Re: Facebook is down, Dec 11, 2012, 02:47 Sepharo

ThirdStarr wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 18:36:
If you have not been able to logon to Facebook it is because it is down, rumors say that it has been hack. Wow

Haven't noticed any downtime today (or yesterday).

News Comments > Goodbye Deponia Announced
3. Re: Goodbye Deponia Announced Dec 10, 2012, 21:41 Sepharo

Thought the first one was pretty great. Still haven't loaded up the second yet though.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
20. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 10, 2012, 17:21 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 06:56:
So information on Bluesnews can't be found online? That's why it was deleted off Wikipedia? Curious, that...

That is correct. Unfortunately no "reputable" source has ever written an (accessible) article about Blue's News. Lots of links of course and a few passing mentions but no "Stephen Heaslip has been running the premier PC gaming news site for the past 15 years. And here's a bunch statistics, history, trivia, blah blah blah..." You may think, "But hey that's what Wikipedia is for!" But Wikipedia can't feature original research or material, it has to come from another (preferably reputable) source.

I have the issues/debate/deletion of the Blue'sNews wiki article chronicled in the General Forum here and I've linked it around a few times.

17. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 10, 2012, 02:30 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 01:57:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 23:42:
You can hop on there right now and make your case, there's nothing limiting it to three people.

What I'm saying is it shouldn't work that way to begin with. What if I wanted to go delete the entry about the Detroit Lions? I mean, after all, it's not like they're really important to the NFL regardless of their history. If the information is valid and legitimate then leave it alone.

Yes but you can find sources online and in print that attest to the notability of the Lions. If you can't find that information then the article is put up for deletion.

14. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 9, 2012, 23:42 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 22:04:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 18:33:
This is about a specific BBS game not the whole thing. And Wikipedia is written and managed (not in the business sense) by... everyone. Those were just 3 people on the internet. Don't withhold a donation because one user of hundreds of thousands doesn't think that particular game is notable and citable enough for an article.

If three people can dictate what is Wiki worthy and what is not then it's not an organization that even deserves to exist.

You can hop on there right now and make your case, there's nothing limiting it to three people.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2012, 23:41 Sepharo

The curse on the Lions continues.  

9. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 9, 2012, 20:09 Sepharo

Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 19:33:
Wikipedia was fun for a while but most of the information I see there now is stale, wrong, contentious, or just bone-headed. - It's not even good as starting point anymore.

So so wrong. And don't tell me it's a matter of opinion. Some of the information is stale, wrong, contentious or bone-headed, certainly not most. Not good as a starting point? That's precisely what it's good for.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Dec 9, 2012, 18:38 Sepharo

He's speaking purely on the retail shopping aspect of a cover. Having worked at GameStop I can verify that there are people who buy games that way.  

5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 9, 2012, 18:33 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 18:16:
BBS' helped build the internet and gaming as we know it today! I used to help run an immensely popular BBS back in the day. To say BBS gaming isn't notable is laughable at best. Obviously that cunt never used BBS', much less played BBS games - or any other for that matter. I was just on the verge of donating Wikipedia a few bucks with their latest appeal but fuck them now! I pity people who missed the BBS era, it was a tremendous amount of fun.

Too be fair... that's not at all whats happening here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletin_board_system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBS_door
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Door_games

This is about a specific BBS game not the whole thing.
And Wikipedia is written and managed (not in the business sense) by... everyone. Those were just 3 people on the internet. Don't withhold a donation because one user of hundreds of thousands doesn't think that particular game is notable and citable enough for an article.

Here's an excerpt of the conversation between Dr. Chad Nilep (Cnilep), the Wikipedia user who nominated Space Empire Elite for deletion; Sue Rangell, another user who doesn't like non-notable games; and Josh Renaud (Kirkman), a door game proponent who authored several door game pages on Wikipedia.

2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 9, 2012, 16:56 Sepharo

"Wikipedia is Deleting BBS Game History. Blue's News was deleted long ago."

Notability is hard to establish for purely internet topics and sites that are over a decade old. I suspect that it will just get harder too because often not only is the site in question long gone but so are any sites that would have documented its existence and notability.

6473 Comments. 324 pages. Viewing page 43.
< Newer [ 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo