Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 6627 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed
113. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 22:36 Sepharo

Texas Jake wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 21:42:
EA fixed the game, it's fun now. Time to move on.

They fixed the AI and removed an unnecessary always-online requirement? Hoooray!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Mar 18, 2013, 22:28 Sepharo

I think both of you (Azusa and SMA) made some good points but your last one Azusa is kind of strange.

"[T]he framers intended the citizenry to possess weaponry [...] as a check against the might of the militia."

I'm pretty sure the 2nd amendment is a militia check against the army. Not a citizen check against the militia. Militias are made up of citizens instead of soldiers right? The framers didn't want the federal government to use the army to bully States so an amendment was passed to prohibit prohibiting militias.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I don't see how you can claim it's the clearest amendment while the nation has been having this same discussion about its meaning since just about the time it was written.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 22:12 Sepharo

nin wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 21:55:
Dad for instilling the fear of stupid people in me, "Always gotta be on the lookout for them. Don't expect them to do the right thing, expect the stupid" and video games for the hyper focus, situational awareness, multiple actor tracking, and reaction speed.

My father always said "drive safe" and never failed to work it into the end of the conversation...

He says that too but I don't think anyone who's ever driven with him would call him a safe driver. He claims to have never been in an accident before but I can only vouch for the past 26 years, and for about 20 of those his sales job required about 50% travel. Must be doing something right.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 21:05 Sepharo

Took my driver's training classes with the local cops. Class was pretty informative even though roughly 50% of it was "Tell us more cop stories!"

I credit my dad and video games with most of my driving prowess beyond the rules though. Dad for instilling the fear of stupid people in me, "Always gotta be on the lookout for them. Don't expect them to do the right thing, expect the stupid" and video games for the hyper focus, situational awareness, multiple actor tracking, and reaction speed.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
48. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 23:48 Sepharo

Jivaro wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 23:36:
They simply have faith that they are correct because they have never seen any proof to the contrary.

Uh... lack of evidence of something doesn't mean that you have to have faith it doesn't exist.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2013, 23:37 Sepharo

Reggie Bush on the Lions Clap  

News Comments > Ron Gilbert Leaves Double Fine
15. Re: Ron Gilbert Leaves Double Fine Mar 13, 2013, 00:13 Sepharo

Shineyguy wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 16:13:
Tumbler wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:33:
Hmm, hopefully this doesn't affect the double fine kickstarter project in some way. Hopefully this is just a post "The Cave" change. I don't think that game sold very well but I can only speak for my own wallet.

Ron's not part of the development team for Double Fine Adventure. Though it would have been great if he was IMO.

He's not but nearly the whole team for The Cave just joined up. Latest episode of the docu has been out a few days now btw

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2013, 00:07 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 23:51:
I make software for a living, as part of a medium sized company. We have had customers leave, and it's hard, but usually they don't tell us why they are leaving, so we learn little from that. We guess. We also have long term customers who give us constant feedback. We do our best to respond to that feedback, and keep those customers. We value our customers, and as a result we've been expanding despite a shaky economy.

We have biannual customer surveys, 24/7 support, product advisory groups, product show-and-tells, and a yearly customer conference. I don't know for certain but I would bet big that if we lose a customer there's a process and effort to find out why. Have I ever told you guys that I love working for a company with integrity?

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 18:55 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 12:02:
Maybe that was your experience but I recall the general shitstorm on forums because people couldn't decrypt the HL2 files or whatever after work. I guess it's their own fault for not calling in sick though WoW was alright, I remember the servers being really unstable in general but you could at least get some time into it. The UO launch was way worse but I guess forgivable since it was one of the first MMORPGs.

FF14 was probably one of the worst, not only for the technical problems but the fact that it was a really incomplete game that should have never launched.

That must have been later in the day. Turns out I didn't post around launch but you can see others in Out Of The Blue unlocking the files at 3:01 (Valve midnight launch) finishing up around 3:15-3:30 and playing. A very smooth launch night for one of the most anticipated games of all time on a new service no less.

7. Worst PC game Launches Mar 12, 2013, 11:48 Sepharo

I was playing HL2 at launch, if there was a delay it was a couple hours at most on launch day. Could probably find my posts here to confirm it.

Same with WoW.

I don't think either of those belong in the top 5. There have been far worse launches.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2013, 11:56.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Mar 11, 2013, 21:52 Sepharo

But I saw them eating it.  

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted
43. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 11, 2013, 21:51 Sepharo

Krovven wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 21:37:
Quinn wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 16:13:
"No Story. Just Gameplay." The USP of consoles.

So the "Gameplay is King" mantra is now consolized? /facepalm

Verno, when it has no relation to the theme of the character, yes it's a stupid idea. Is it a stupid idea for a completely different character? No. It doesn't belong with Max Payne.

Gotta agree with Krovven here... Especially because Flatline tries to root his idea in noir but the protagonist going "full dark/demon" is not noir. You can have an anti-hero, a corrupted person, but there is no good -> evil arc just a constant gray.

Noir is often about futility and MP3 pulled that off quite well.

I think a lot of people are misremembering MP1/2 or didn't understand it. This idea that Max achieved something, or that he wasn't spouting off "emo bullshit" is just wrong. You literally have to navigate his nightmares... come on.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2013, 21:22 Sepharo

Anonymous wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 17:11:
I have actually bleached my skin stark white. I had a dermatological problem and my doctor recommended bathing in bleach with a small amount. It wasn't working for jack shit so I decided to up the ante a little bit and lost track of time inside the tub.

Next thing you know, my body is pure white. The texture of my skin changed like some chemical reaction took place. It was very weird. I'm not sure it's changed back to this day (texture-wise).

That sounds... unsafe.

Did your hair turn green too?

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
36. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 12:38 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 12:25:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 12:20:
It's not as simple as he's making it look but he's right about it probably being coded in way that should've been "easy" to switch offline. I'm imagining there is a region service interface on the client which is implemented on the server.

They could take that service and instead implement it on the client and I see no reason that most home machines couldn't handle simulating the traffic/commerce in a single region. The cities don't run when you aren't playing them so they essentially just become an assortment of stats that govern their interactions with the currently live city.

I'd say the reason they're doing it on EA's servers (other than DRM/DLC) is not so much for the region simulation (well they'd have to for public/MP regions) but for the "world" components like leaderboards and commodity prices.

There's almost definitely no reason why they couldn't handle it.
But coding something for a server and coding something for a home system tends to be very, very different. It isn't as simple as just flipping a switch.

If you never intended to turn off server-side calculations, why have someone put a few weeks into putting that ability in?

I'm not saying it's a switch. I'm saying it's an exposed interface. There's really not much difference. Whether the service is running remotely or locally doesn't really matter. If you're able to tear out all the overhead (auth, communication packaging) it'll actually run better anyway.

"Easy" is always relative anyway. It's not flipping a switch but it (shouldn't) be a huge re-write either. I'm not saying they should code that region stuff into the client but they could certainly run the service (or a new lighter one) on the client and have them communicate somewhat like they did before.

News Comments > EA Will "Look Into" Offline SimCity; New Patch Released
63. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 12:26 Sepharo

Quboid wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 12:19:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:10:
Quboid wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:58:
Yes, it was pretty dumb of me. I preordered before the DRM was made public I was aware of the DRM.

It's been known nearly since the announcement and certainly before pre-orders were available.

Possibly. I was aware that it had online features, which I took to mean you can put a screenshot of your city on Facebook or something like that. I didn't realise it was always-on until months after the pre-order. Perhaps I missed something.

A little less than a month after it was announced:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/131125/new-simcity-only-playable-online

edit: Wait! You're the third damn post in that thread:
"Awwwwww what the fuck EA. Has it come to this? I was just defending you pricks. If this is true, I sincerely hope this utterly bombs and proves me wrong."

I wish you woulda kept that opinion.

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
34. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 12:20 Sepharo

It's not as simple as he's making it look but he's right about it probably being coded in way that should've been "easy" to switch offline. I'm imagining there is a region service interface on the client which is implemented on the server.

They could take that service and instead implement it on the client and I see no reason that most home machines couldn't handle simulating the traffic/commerce in a single region. The cities don't run when you aren't playing them so they essentially just become an assortment of stats that govern their interactions with the currently live city.

I'd say the reason they're doing it on EA's servers (other than DRM/DLC) is not so much for the region simulation (well they'd have to for public/MP regions) but for the "world" components like leaderboards and commodity prices.

49. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 01:13 Sepharo

entr0py wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 01:07:
Ventura wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 22:15:
It's all such a damn shame, because, server problems aside (ok, and simulation issues), there's a phenomenal game underneath it all.

Yeah, if it weren't for the small maps and always online nonsense it would be a pretty worthy game. Actually, I think the two problems are directly related; we saw from them patching out cheetah speed that much of the simulation happens on their servers. I think it's extremely likely that cities have such a small size cap only to manage server load.

I'm pretty sure it's just the region stuff that happens on their servers. Problem is that they've wired that region stuff into everything and when it's down not everything handles it gracefully. Sims, demand, pollution, etc will actually transfer from city to city in addition to the obvious stuff like trade and resource agreements.

28. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 18:16 Sepharo

Ceribaen wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:13:
I seem to recall there being lip-service to some sort of semi-offline mode when people were basically calling out this exact situation likely to happen... The interview was posted here, but I can't recall who or when it was saying it.

They said that you would not be kicked out of the game if the connection was lost. Which is partly true, from what I've heard sometimes it kicks you and other times it lets you continue playing but the catch is that no progress is saved.

25. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 18:10 Sepharo

Quboid wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:58:
Dmitri_M wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:42:
Quboid wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:47:
There's enough dislike of the online requirement. Even when the anger settles, the hatred of any unnecessary always-on requirement in any game will keep this going.

I'm still annoyed that Anno 2070 has (had?) an always-on requirement. I passed on an Anno game for the first time. I think I heard they were patching the requirement out but I don't know if they delivered.

I'm currently in a queue to get onto my server. Shame, because SimSeveralSmallTowns is actually a really good game. Fix the traffic, fix the population:workers ratio and give us larger cities. For free.

You passed on Anno 2070 but bought this Simcity?

Gamers are funny.

Yes, it was pretty dumb of me. I preordered before the DRM was made public I was aware of the DRM.

It's been known nearly since the announcement and certainly before pre-orders were available.

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 10, 2013, 00:19 Sepharo

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 23:04:
Is March Madness Brackets of the Worst Companies coming up? I think they secured 1rst place this year. Gratz.

I wonder if anyone's ever won 2 years in a row?

edit: no.

2006 - Halliburton - 2nd: Choicepoint
2007 - RIAA - 2nd: Halliburton
2008 - Countrywide Financial - 2nd: Comcast
2009 - AIG - 2nd: Comcast
2010 - Comcast - 2nd: Cash4Gold
2011 - BP - 2nd: Bank of America
2012 - Electronic Arts - 2nd: Bank of America

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2013, 00:25.

6627 Comments. 332 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo