Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 6593 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Will "Look Into" Offline SimCity; New Patch Released
63. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 12:26 Sepharo

Quboid wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 12:19:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:10:
Quboid wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:58:
Yes, it was pretty dumb of me. I preordered before the DRM was made public I was aware of the DRM.

It's been known nearly since the announcement and certainly before pre-orders were available.

Possibly. I was aware that it had online features, which I took to mean you can put a screenshot of your city on Facebook or something like that. I didn't realise it was always-on until months after the pre-order. Perhaps I missed something.

A little less than a month after it was announced:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/131125/new-simcity-only-playable-online

edit: Wait! You're the third damn post in that thread:
"Awwwwww what the fuck EA. Has it come to this? I was just defending you pricks. If this is true, I sincerely hope this utterly bombs and proves me wrong."

I wish you woulda kept that opinion.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
34. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 12:20 Sepharo

It's not as simple as he's making it look but he's right about it probably being coded in way that should've been "easy" to switch offline. I'm imagining there is a region service interface on the client which is implemented on the server.

They could take that service and instead implement it on the client and I see no reason that most home machines couldn't handle simulating the traffic/commerce in a single region. The cities don't run when you aren't playing them so they essentially just become an assortment of stats that govern their interactions with the currently live city.

I'd say the reason they're doing it on EA's servers (other than DRM/DLC) is not so much for the region simulation (well they'd have to for public/MP regions) but for the "world" components like leaderboards and commodity prices.

49. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 01:13 Sepharo

entr0py wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 01:07:
Ventura wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 22:15:
It's all such a damn shame, because, server problems aside (ok, and simulation issues), there's a phenomenal game underneath it all.

Yeah, if it weren't for the small maps and always online nonsense it would be a pretty worthy game. Actually, I think the two problems are directly related; we saw from them patching out cheetah speed that much of the simulation happens on their servers. I think it's extremely likely that cities have such a small size cap only to manage server load.

I'm pretty sure it's just the region stuff that happens on their servers. Problem is that they've wired that region stuff into everything and when it's down not everything handles it gracefully. Sims, demand, pollution, etc will actually transfer from city to city in addition to the obvious stuff like trade and resource agreements.

28. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 18:16 Sepharo

Ceribaen wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:13:
I seem to recall there being lip-service to some sort of semi-offline mode when people were basically calling out this exact situation likely to happen... The interview was posted here, but I can't recall who or when it was saying it.

They said that you would not be kicked out of the game if the connection was lost. Which is partly true, from what I've heard sometimes it kicks you and other times it lets you continue playing but the catch is that no progress is saved.

25. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 18:10 Sepharo

Quboid wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:58:
Dmitri_M wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:42:
Quboid wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:47:
There's enough dislike of the online requirement. Even when the anger settles, the hatred of any unnecessary always-on requirement in any game will keep this going.

I'm still annoyed that Anno 2070 has (had?) an always-on requirement. I passed on an Anno game for the first time. I think I heard they were patching the requirement out but I don't know if they delivered.

I'm currently in a queue to get onto my server. Shame, because SimSeveralSmallTowns is actually a really good game. Fix the traffic, fix the population:workers ratio and give us larger cities. For free.

You passed on Anno 2070 but bought this Simcity?

Gamers are funny.

Yes, it was pretty dumb of me. I preordered before the DRM was made public I was aware of the DRM.

It's been known nearly since the announcement and certainly before pre-orders were available.

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 10, 2013, 00:19 Sepharo

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 23:04:
Is March Madness Brackets of the Worst Companies coming up? I think they secured 1rst place this year. Gratz.

I wonder if anyone's ever won 2 years in a row?

edit: no.

2006 - Halliburton - 2nd: Choicepoint
2007 - RIAA - 2nd: Halliburton
2008 - Countrywide Financial - 2nd: Comcast
2009 - AIG - 2nd: Comcast
2010 - Comcast - 2nd: Cash4Gold
2011 - BP - 2nd: Bank of America
2012 - Electronic Arts - 2nd: Bank of America

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2013, 00:25.

News Comments > EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game
80. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 21:38 Sepharo

nin wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 19:59:
uhlsla wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 19:52:
No thanks. Still not going to buy it. Anyone heard of the Kickstarter one Civitas? Maybe if this one sells a few million copies more than SimCity maybe EA will listen.....Nah who am I kidding!!

I'm still convinced that ones a scam...

Yeah, apparently a group of nameless Austin developers.

As you all may have already heard, there have been quite a few studio closings around Austin TX and elsewhere lately. Well, some of us were among the unlucky few caught up in all of that.

The "Who We Are" is probably the most important section to me on Kickstarter and their's is very vague.

We are not shaken at all by the doubters that love to donate 1 dollar to discourage us all in our comments section, we know where they are coming from, and we all know how they'll end up looking when the kickstarter is updated and we all move forward making this amazing game together. The negativity of a few won't derail Civitas.

Still seems like a cash-grab scam thrown together to take advantage of some of that SimCity outrage.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 19:44 Sepharo

Golwar wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 19:20:
Kajetan wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 08:49:
Golwar wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 07:55:
Geez, gamers are really a disgrace sometimes.
There are no "gamers". There are only people. Some smart, some dumb, some eager to learn from their experience, some just staying clueless. And there are people who like nothing more than to complain about what some people have to say about other people. Like you. Having fun?

Hahaha, you mean like you and Cutter rated the comments of others just before?
I'm sorry dude, but you aren't really in the position to raise the moral finger. It was you two who had "fun" with such nonsense (first). Quite a shocker that you don't like to receive the same treatment that you dished out.

He didn't really make a moral argument or counter comparison. He could also enjoy complaining about what other people say about other people. META META META

Point still stands, you can't really generalize "gamers", especially today's gamers.

News Comments > EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game
61. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 18:06 Sepharo

deqer wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 18:00:
Software programs like "droplr" make this a breeze to do. Just press one key, and it takes a screenshot and uploads it for you and gives you a short d.pr/dd784kf URL and automatically copies it to your clipboard ready for you to paste anywhere you want.

That's pretty nifty. Does it let you select the area to screenshot or crop instantly? I tend to use the snip tool, copy to clipboard, and ctrl-v on imgur.

Not the same thing really but I also use a chrome extension that allows you to right click any image and instantly upload it to imgur.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2013, 17:32 Sepharo

I'm glad we're losing the hour on the weekend though. Don't think I could do work with an hour less of sleep, I'm already cutting it too close as it is.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Reveal This Month?
27. Re: Battlefield 4 Reveal This Month? Mar 9, 2013, 17:22 Sepharo

Played some BF3 with friends last night for the first time in a while. Every map turned into a snipe-off with one team hanging out in the spawn.

We rarely play the game but we had the top 3 scores (and the most deaths) because we actually tried to capture points like naive fools.

News Comments > The 7th Guest 3 Announced
25. Re: The 7th Guest 3 Announced Mar 8, 2013, 05:41 Sepharo

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 21:19:
...feeling...lonely?

Haha came here to type that and as I clicked the comments link I even said it aloud to myself and there it was starting me in the face from your post

I don't think I ever found my way out of that maze. My first computer wasn't as ancient as you guys, came with Myst and 7th Guest, so it was literally one of my first computer games I ever played. But through chance and circumstance I ended up playing tons of classic and much older games.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Mar 6, 2013, 23:26 Sepharo

Shok wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 22:50:
Wow just wow. The only EA games I play anymore are running in a C64 emulator (bards tale 1-3). And sorry to be an accomplice to this thread hijack.

Can't thread hijack Into the Black... It's off topic discussion for the evening.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues
114. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 6, 2013, 23:23 Sepharo

Some new pics floating around today:

http://i.imgur.com/K3KFAI3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wA03tRY.jpg

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Mar 6, 2013, 02:31 Sepharo

Quboid wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 08:58:
I don't get it.

Guy was gung-ho about killing some Imperials and then was easily killed by bumping a stationary rock.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Mar 5, 2013, 01:11 Sepharo

nin https://soundcloud.com/pomdeterrific/pomdeter-call-me-a-hole

don't close out immediately, let it go for a bit

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 3, 2013, 22:28 Sepharo

I don't see why it has to be the next best thing or the thing on the way out.

It is what you make of it. It's kept me in contact with friends and family for the past 8 years. I'd prefer they use G+ but they don't. I'm not a big fan of talking on the phone, email and letters feel too formal, if I want to share or chat with my social network I do it through a service designed for that. Planning events, study groups, donations, whatever... It's very easy and convenient to do there.

I get together in person with my close friends all the time, visit relatives and others across the country when I'm able, social networks are just an addition and enhancement of that.

Buncha stodgy old people and/or asocials in here.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Mar 3, 2013, 19:14 Sepharo

That proposed ban is absurd whether for private or government. There's a long history of laws allowing public photography, the vantage point or method shouldn't matter.

If it's being abused for criminal purposes then prosecute it under those already existing laws.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 3, 2013, 18:59 Sepharo

"exciting and new"

It's 9 years old.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
23. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 2, 2013, 16:28 Sepharo

It was semi-automatic. They're too easy to get in Detroit right now and showing up in crime more frequently. This was one of the few times they were used in the suburbs though. Canton is more than a half hour out from Detroit but has tons of retail right off the highway exit. They hit the stores or the cars in the lots and then hop back on the highway.  

6593 Comments. 330 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo