Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 6961 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 2143 Images?
31. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 29, 2015, 21:22 Sepharo

You don't give a fuck so nobody else should. Got it.
Does every post require a bunch of minutiae, analogies, and talking down? You may not be 10 but you write and ramble like a 15 year old. It's just not surprising to see people upset that a company would shutdown their multiplayer, especially when the resources required to keep it running are close to zero. They are within reason to think that EA is a shitty company when they sunset their products unnecessarily like that. You say you understand and that you personally don't care... but why bother to post crap like this then?

suddenly? are you smoking crack? 1942 had active servers for over a decade before being shut down. LOL suddenly. Unless you're talking in geological terms, you're a troll.

Have you ever seen a concert for a band that later split up? It's too bad that they did, but they toured for years. Just because something doesn't last forever, doesn't mean it wasn't great.

It was "suddenly" shut down, it was on and then with little notice it was off. He wasn't speaking about the total amount of time that BF1942 servers had run. Then you give a terrible analogy relating to nostalgia and some pithy crap about stuff not lasting forever but still being great. He never mentioned anything about it not being great... It would still be great but unfortunately it's gone because EA couldn't be bothered with doing anything for its fans except lip service about how they might do something (they didn't).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 29, 2015, 18:30 Sepharo

Slick wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 17:00:
sigh indeed

CS 1.6 has 23,800 peak users today. How many do you think Need for Speed had before it was shut down? Apparently your definition of "active playerbase" is different from the rest of the world's. Also CS doesn't rely on Gamespy. Gamespy is the company that shut down, taking many MP games with it. If you wanna grind your axe against a corporation, they're the one who dropped the ball. This is what happens when you hitch your wagon to a geriatric horse.

and yes, you can play quake, but are you? do you? there are currently 4 people in the whole damned world who are playing quake right now. this isn't the 1% we're talking about here, it;s the 0.00001%.

And if you had the basest reading comprehension, you'd see that I said plain as day that it sucks when this stuff happens, but really who the fuck cares. If you want to play 1942 badly enough, all the server files are out there, you can drum up your own server and give all your friends the IP. Gamespy went bankrupt, that's it. also known as the sky is falling. I don't lose sleep over this stuff.

Disco is dead. accept it. move on.

I'm not the one making excuses for companies shutting down multiplayer. You're in the Scrolls thread bitching about "M$" but when the same thing is done by EA you show up to explain it to everyone who just doesn't get it. They're right to be upset and they're right to say that EA could and should have continued running a master server that would be a fraction of a drop in their bucket of resources. You're quick to cite player counts and amounts of years etc. etc.... they unnecessarily let the multiplayer die, you don't need to spend your time making excuses for their dick behavior.

27. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 29, 2015, 15:19 Sepharo

I can still play the first CS MP. I can still play any Quake MP if I want. They're all older games than BF1942. It's a dick move to shut down the multiplayer, especially of a hit game that still has an active playerbase and servers up. The resources needed to maintain the authentication server are extremely tiny. Like leaving a geocities page up for 20 years, you can just forget about it. It would have been simpler to leave it running but at the very least they could have done something to mitigate the auth server shut down.

I'll be expecting your wall of rambling text, stupid analogies, and generally unrequited corporate cock sucking regardless of the situation.

9. Re: Into the Black Jun 28, 2015, 19:55 Sepharo

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 19:43:
As much as I loved Titan mode in 2142 I just can't see them working on two sci-fi takes on Battlefield at the same time. Honestly I'd rather see Vietnam come back, I miss having music playing from my heli.

Haha I tell people all the time about blasting heli music in Vietnam. You could also replace the sounds files, but of course in MP they only hear the original.

News Comments > Valve on Steam Scams
29. Re: Valve on Steam Scams Jun 28, 2015, 15:28 Sepharo

Krovven wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 15:19:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 00:33:
Krovven wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 00:08:
Satoru wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 20:38:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 00:51:
There is another certain "scam" going on, or perhaps a better way to label it is "gaming the system", but in many multiplayer games, the steam refunds policy is biting players in the ass right now, with cheaters purchasing games for almost exactly 1 hour and fifty minutes, going to wreck shit on servers where they got owned and can't compete properly, and then getting a refund and repeating the process. VAC and the other assorted anti-cheats out there don't catch them generally in this small window of time and I've not heard of anyone being punished for this behavior. This is happening in many steam multiplayer games currently.

You can't really sustain this

1) You have to haven a valid payment method
2) Steam tracks these things
3) Steam already is sending nasty-grams to people who do 'too many refunds'
4) note even if you 'kite cards' you still have the orignal purchase money that you HAVE to spend somehow.
5) Steam refunds take anywhere from 2-7 days so constantly cycling the card is impratical

Its really a short term 'herp derp' thing. But its unsustainable long term because it requires constant recycling of a valid payment method, which Valve WILL black list at some point if they want to. Cycling pre-paid cards is EXPENSIVE to do with all the fees associated with using them.

Its likely people are simply ascribing the cheaters they see with the new policy, rather than say the fact that CSGO was dirt cheap during the sale and thus attracts lots of new cheating accounts anyway.

It doesn't matter if it doesn't appear sustainable to you. People will find a way. Right now they are doing it because they can and testing the boundaries. It costs them nothing.

I wrote about this the other day. It's the main reason Arkham Knight was removed, not out of the goodness of their hearts. Just because you don't want to believe it, doesn't make it so.

Arkham Knight has multiplayer that people hack in?
Are you following the conversation?

Multiplayer griefing is a symptom of the problem. Recycling refunds is the source of the problem. Are you keeping up with the conversation?

We were talking about the refund policy possibly increasing the amount/rate of cheaters in multiplayer games. You jumped in and disagreed with nothing to add other than essentially "you're wrong" and then said, "It's the main reason Arkham Knight was removed". Even if we disregard that the conversation was about using the grace period to cheat in games repeatedly, the main reason that Akrham Knight was removed wasn't people cycling refunds... it was people getting a refund plain and simple, and they got refunds because of technical issues they were having with the game or being dissatisfied with it within the first 2 weeks or first 2 hours of play.

News Comments > Breaking Bad Game TMed
17. Re: Breaking Bad Game TMed Jun 28, 2015, 05:56 Sepharo

The show was always great but it really reached a whole nother level in the 4th and 5th seasons. You guys stopping after the first season or skipping around are almost watching a different show.

Better Call Saul is also great.

27. Re: Valve on Steam Scams Jun 28, 2015, 00:33 Sepharo

Krovven wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 00:08:
Satoru wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 20:38:
There is another certain "scam" going on, or perhaps a better way to label it is "gaming the system", but in many multiplayer games, the steam refunds policy is biting players in the ass right now, with cheaters purchasing games for almost exactly 1 hour and fifty minutes, going to wreck shit on servers where they got owned and can't compete properly, and then getting a refund and repeating the process. VAC and the other assorted anti-cheats out there don't catch them generally in this small window of time and I've not heard of anyone being punished for this behavior. This is happening in many steam multiplayer games currently.

You can't really sustain this

1) You have to have a valid payment method
2) Steam tracks these things
3) Steam already is sending nasty-grams to people who do 'too many refunds'
4) note even if you 'kite cards' you still have the orignal purchase money that you HAVE to spend somehow.
5) Steam refunds take anywhere from 2-7 days so constantly cycling the card is impratical

Its really a short term 'herp derp' thing. But its unsustainable long term because it requires constant recycling of a valid payment method, which Valve WILL black list at some point if they want to. Cycling pre-paid cards is EXPENSIVE to do with all the fees associated with using them.

Its likely people are simply ascribing the cheaters they see with the new policy, rather than say the fact that CSGO was dirt cheap during the sale and thus attracts lots of new cheating accounts anyway.

It doesn't matter if it doesn't appear sustainable to you. People will find a way. Right now they are doing it because they can and testing the boundaries. It costs them nothing.

I wrote about this the other day. It's the main reason Arkham Knight was removed, not out of the goodness of their hearts. Just because you don't want to believe it, doesn't make it so.

Arkham Knight has multiplayer that people hack in?
Are you following the conversation?

News Comments > Breaking Bad Game TMed
14. Re: Breaking Bad Game TMed Jun 27, 2015, 23:18 Sepharo

Krowen wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 21:40:
You're always in the minority about pretty much everything, one might even say it stopped being a coincidence long ago. Glacial pacing in a show with 13 episodes in a season hahaha. How about you blame yourself for having the attention span of a squirrel?

Looking forward to a Breaking Bad video game, make it an RPG!

Right on new Krovven

News Comments > World of Warships Shipstorm
23. Re: World of Warships Shipstorm Jun 27, 2015, 21:17 Sepharo

Rigs wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 16:33:
Blue wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 11:57:
Krovven wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 23:29:
Rigs wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 22:23:
Hey, Krovven, are you posting with two different accounts by chance? There's another poster that has a 'w' instead of 'v v' and I was wondering if that was also you? Nothing by it, just curious...

=-Rigs-=

Nope someone just trying to be funny most likely.

I noticed that when the account was registered, and would have taken action if it was some sort of troll attempt. But that handle actually appears to be based on that user's real name, and there is no indication that he is posting under that name to deceive anyone. Apparently it is just coincidence.

Interesting. I wonder if he knows? It just made me do a double take because he didn't sound like Krovven when he posted and then I noticed it was just registered and I got curious...
=-Rigs-=

Hah, I saw him post the other day and was like, "Did Krovven just say 'yo' ?" Didn't notice that it wasn't him but you're right it didn't sound like him.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
15. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 27, 2015, 03:41 Sepharo

shihonage wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 02:47:
ForgedReality wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 00:46:
I don't know what kind of age limits there are on holding a seat in the FCC (if any), but maybe we could start by changing the age requirements for the United States Presidency from minimum 35 to minimum 21, maximum 45. We could do similarly with other branches and positions.

That would help bring government around to more accurately representing the future rather than the past. Get all these old, clueless fucks that time left behind the fuck out of positions of power.

21 year old President... oh dear... well I guess he/she would still be smarter than Obama.

Bernie would be out too, he's a 73 year old man.
Looks great for it though.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 27, 2015, 02:45 Sepharo

NKD wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 02:40:
I've had pretty good experience with Kickstarter as well. Certain people around here like to shit on Kickstarter and act like Kickstarter should sit there and pass value judgments on every project and kill anything that doesn't look like a sure thing, but I think that's a lot of bullshit.

If you have a functioning brain you can figure out which projects are worth backing and end up pretty satisfied. You can also figure out which projects are maybe risky but you really want to support and you don't mind losing $15 if it ends up sucking.

Yep Yep

17. Re: Valve on Steam Scams Jun 27, 2015, 01:24 Sepharo

That doesn't sound sustainable. Can somenoe refund/purchase/refund on the same game and on the same account? Even if they use different accounts doesn't each one still need a credit card? Should be easy to stop someone abusing that repeatedly.
How did you become aware of this scam?

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 26, 2015, 21:32 Sepharo

Saboth wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 20:48:
Many banks now charge you fees if you actually go inside to do business instead of handling it online,

Never heard of this... but I also never go in banks.

8. Re: Valve on Steam Scams Jun 26, 2015, 18:26 Sepharo

If the full scope of the trade can not be displayed on the trade window then you are likely getting scammed. And if Valve capitulated to scam reimbursement then it would be Valve getting scammed.  

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Jun 23, 2015, 20:37 Sepharo

LittleMe wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 10:44:
Steam needs a way to sort games by date purchased. Please.

It's done this for a few months now (longer?). When you sort your games by "recent" it includes unplayed/uninstalled games by purchase date among the others. A very welcome improvement since I used to have to go into my account history just to see if I had bought something and forgot.

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Trailer
21. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 22, 2015, 02:49 Sepharo

shihonage wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 01:40:
In the face of evidence contradicting to your viewpoint, attack the source.

Yawn-zies.

I said it was a good article. They definitely worked on and changed a bunch of stuff. But as a software developer, the rewrote every part bit is funny to me.

19. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 22, 2015, 01:25 Sepharo

shihonage wrote on Jun 21, 2015, 16:25:
It's pretty clear from the article that they ended up rewriting every part of the engine in a major way [...]

Software engineers tend to exaggerate this kind of stuff, especially when speaking to a layperson

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: etc. Jun 22, 2015, 01:22 Sepharo

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 21, 2015, 10:22:
I bought Nidhogg, which is weird but fun. Ugly as sin, though. I'm a-ok with pixel art but "art" doesn't describe Nidhogg.

Its style is like the original Prince of Persia but on Atari 2600.

16. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 21, 2015, 00:23 Sepharo

That's a great article thanks.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Jun 20, 2015, 18:14 Sepharo

My parents (early 60s) have had tablets going on 3 years now too and they donated their (mostly broken) PC to charity. I don't think they touched it once since getting tablets. As far as gaming goes, my mom has crossword and trivia apps and my dad plays free slot machine apps.  

6961 Comments. 349 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo