Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 6835 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 7, 2015, 16:13 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Mar 7, 2015, 09:20:
There is no tech worker shortage in America or anywhere else.

There's a shortage here in the Detroit area. My company and others have to aggressively go after experienced developers and new college graduates and then still struggle to retain them. It's not like we're dysfunctional or anything either, it's just really competitive. They've got a recruiting thing going on right this moment at the brewery nearby, to drum up interest before graduation this spring.

Also for the past 3 years my phone has been ringing at least once a day sometimes more with 3rd party recruiters trying to place me. "Are you interested in this job I have lined up?" "No." "Where do you work now? Do you have friends that are interested? Is this your current email? How much do you make?" They rattle all that shit off while you're trying to politely end the call. That's for when I accidentally answer otherwise it's a bunch of voicemails to delete. They seem desperate.

Also all the articles about Facebook, Apple, Microsoft, Tesla, Google poaching each others employees. Same thing happens with the small guys like us. We have handshake agreements with small new companies downtown that have taken 5 at a time from us in the past.

So yes, anecdotally and according to plenty in the industry, there is a shortage.

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 2015, 16:20.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
32. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 7, 2015, 09:45 Sepharo

In regards to your #3... What exactly did you prove?  

News Comments > Steam Machines in November
36. Re: Steam Machines in November Mar 7, 2015, 07:52 Sepharo

Kids know what Half-Life is. Do you think it's guys our age making all those gaben and HL3 confirmed memes? Steam is a juggernaut, and therefore Valve, Gaben, and Half-Life are as well.  

General Discussion > Elite: Dangerous Thread
10. Re: SC Mar 7, 2015, 07:43 Sepharo

Ant wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 13:46:
Blue wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 13:09:
Ant wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 14:16:
Blue wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 13:59:
Ant wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 13:02:
IIRC, /. had the most comments for 9/11 too. I don't think any gaming events can beat that horrible day.

Well that sentiment is certainly true, but 9/11 is not the largest thread ever here, it was one about the Obamacare website (879 comments). This is followed by the Elite: Dangerous thread, my mom's death, 9/11, and the release of Half-Life 2, which are all the threads with over 500 comments.

When you perform a search, the list under popular threads changes to most comments all-time, rather than the past week.
Thanks Blue! How is your server handling from these top discussions?

Haha, I know... watch out Digg!
Digg? That's old news (thanks v4). Reddit!

Honestly I visited Digg more in 2014 than I ever did at the height of its popularity. It consistently provides interesting and (mostly) well written articles and seems to do so better than Reddit or Google News with no effort on my part required.

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Video Diary
10. Re: Cities: Skylines Video Diary Mar 6, 2015, 20:16 Sepharo

Damn this wasn't even on my radar because I guess I was conflating Cities XL and Cities in Motion, and now this as all being the same series.

Watched some youtube videos on this last night and now I'm definitely getting it.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
15. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 6, 2015, 20:01 Sepharo

PropheT wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 01:52:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 23:18:
PropheT wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 22:04:
Err, what?

You seriously didn't detect the sarcasm there?

Considering I don't recognize the person who posted it and a lot stupider shit gets posted here every day, I'm not entirely sure why I would.

It's full of obvious sarcasm, positively dripping with it. There doesn't appear to be a single non-sarcastic sentence.

As a public service I will deconstruct it for you

"So let me get this straight."
--Starting with this platitude is a good sign that what you're about to read is said in jest.

"A self-made woman who managed to fight hard and get herself elected and appointed to high political office based entirely on her accomplishments, with no outside help"
--Quadruple repetition of the same point implies sarcasm.
--Hillary Clinton is of course Bill Clinton's wife, and whether you agree with it or not the idea here is that she owes her political career to that fact, aka not self-made.

"turns out to also be a whiz with computer engineering - running her own private email system!"
--"turns out" is used to diminish, it's said informally and is similar to "you wouldn't believe,"
--calling someone a whiz is almost always sarcastic
--Hillary obviously isn't a compute engineer and isn't handling the IT work of her private email server.
--There's an exclamation point on the end of this sentence, come on.

"the right-wing media like AP"
--The AP is considered right-wing huh? Wrong or right, they're mostly accused of left bias, not right.

"It just goes to show what kind of misogyny women with tech interests have to put up with."
--"It just goes to show" is another platitude that indicates sarcasm.
--Tie it up with a GamerGate/SJW/Women-in-Tech reference that doesn't apply at all here

News Comments > etc., etc.
18. Re: etc., etc. Mar 5, 2015, 23:59 Sepharo

The only wireless things I have are my cellphone and tablet.
Wired mouse, keyboard, headphones.
There's an ethernet cable between my computer and router.

Who wants to deal with batteries and data loss.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
32. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 5, 2015, 03:43 Sepharo

This discussion of Russia has reminded me of this series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHJxIwvFIGY

That's just one of like 30 something too.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 4, 2015, 23:18 Sepharo

PropheT wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 22:04:
Err, what?

You seriously didn't detect the sarcasm there?

7. Re: etc., etc. Mar 4, 2015, 21:54 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 21:51:
Wallshadows wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 21:41:
They might be able to buy the reviews but they can't buy the players to fill their game. It really is more like Brink than Titanfall.

The article calls it brilliant. Do you think he was paid?

Seems like most here that bought it love it. Where they paid?

Why are some so convinced every review is paid?

Disregarding the whole "paid" part. I'm not really sure why he called it "brilliant" and then tore into the rest of it. Boring games aren't typically described as "brilliant".

5. Re: etc., etc. Mar 4, 2015, 21:45 Sepharo

If anyone hasn't yet I really recommend that you watch the Broken Age documentary now that it's released to the public.

Broken Age is great but this documentary series is better and alone is worth my backer dollars.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2015, 20:35 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 18:43:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 13:31:
descender wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 12:31:
Cutter, you can't use paint for that. You could technically use MS Photo viewer to adjust brightness/contrast... but really you should just download GIMP. It's free and basically... photoshop.

Picasa, a free photo editor, is also super easy to use and adjust contrast, color, crop, etc. They have a bunch of tools to do that.

Thanks peeps I'll check those out.

Careful man, Picasa is owned by Google and it's integrated with G+.
Using it would instantly make you one of the sheeple.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2015, 03:57 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 02:58:
Wraith wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 01:12:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 22:04:
Wallshadows wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 20:21:
I've been itching for a fun Space-based game to enjoy but I'm not in the market to give Gearbox any kind of money so I might look more in to Elite Dangerous and gift myself a joystick for my Birthday on Tuesday.
Yeah let's not reward a company when they do something right.
It crashes randomly all over the fucking place. They didn't do anything right - Gearbox is still fucking Gearbox.

Boy, you're just being the Negative Nancy all over the place tonight.

Overblown rage is that guy's entire history.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
35. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2015, 19:48 Sepharo

harlock wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 18:44:
slow day at blues

Thanks for the Black Sails recommendation.
The first two episodes were great, I'm looking forward to watching the rest.
With AMC, HBO, and now Starz I guess there's a lot of good TV to watch. I still have season 4 of Hell on Wheels to watch too.

News Comments > AIPD Announced
5. Re: AIPD Announced Feb 25, 2015, 03:59 Sepharo

Oh a new Geometry Wars  

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 25, 2015, 02:48 Sepharo

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 24, 2015, 08:15:
Verno wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 09:16:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 09:05:
I dont get how CS:GO stays up there that long. Im getting the feeling its because of banned hackers that are buying a new one twice a week...

It's just very popular. Low barrier of entry, lots of community additions to the game and its an FPS. Not much else to it.

So were many other FPS games. They didnt stay on top for 3 years, not even close.
The only similar inflation Ive seen in an FPS was on Americas Army. And we all know it was a cheaterfest, you couldnt find a single server without a cheater.

CS:S was in the top 10 most of the time too. I don't see why it would be any different with CS:GO. It's a flagship Steam title.

News Comments > SteamVR Hardware Reveal Next Week
17. Re: SteamVR Hardware Reveal Next Week Feb 23, 2015, 22:06 Sepharo

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 21:48:
Slick wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 21:35:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 21:14:
My Oculus Rift DK2 arrived today.
I'm itching to get home and put it on.
Might be joining those crazy Elite: Dangerous folks.

I was waiting out the retail product but I heard the release date is still "hopefully it will be out before 2016". So that's a maybe on this holiday season... Decided I can't wait that long on a maybe.

the best oculus game out there is called WindLands. but beware, no other game will come close as far as that "feeling" of movement and immersion, so i'd recommend doing it last.

I'm REALLY interested in this steam VR thing, industry insiders have been talking about it for years, that valve built a really crazy lab to develop this tech, and anyone who's witnessed it first-hand has walked away in a stupor. we haven't had any details, and now we have a product that's ready to demo, this will be very interesting to see.

What get me about a year or so ago, I thought they laid off the team, shared a little knowledge to OR, said some inherent problems not over come, perhaps I may even recall some of the laid off team doing something on kickstarter.

They laid off a bunch of people from their hardware skunkworks in general. They never mentioned what products specifically and Gabe actually came out to clarify that they weren't going to clarify which products the people were working on but that SteamBox / Controller and VR were still on.

News Comments > SteamVR Hardware Reveal Next Week
14. Re: SteamVR Hardware Reveal Next Week Feb 23, 2015, 21:14 Sepharo

My Oculus Rift DK2 arrived today.
I'm itching to get home and put it on.
Might be joining those crazy Elite: Dangerous folks.

I was waiting out the retail product but I heard the release date is still "hopefully it will be out before 2016". So that's a maybe on this holiday season... Decided I can't wait that long on a maybe.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy
115. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 23, 2015, 01:54 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 01:37:
Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 22:20:

Yeah, that's definitely going to be a massive problem for them. They say that everything can be earned in game, but if you can earn a $2500 ship in a few weeks of play, those that paid cash for it are undoubtedly going to bitch. That balancing act is going to be nigh-impossible, I think. (after which they'll just make them impossible to get, I'd guess, or maybe they'll allow a used vehicle market, essentially turning those high price ship into the equivalent of limited edition supercars. Who's got my Huayra?!)

Well, if the people who paid the cash complain, would there be anything they could do about it? RSI will already have spent the money.

Easy you just put a little tag in front the ship name [Heirloom] and everybody's good.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 22, 2015, 17:33 Sepharo

Alamar wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 17:12:
nin wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 16:47:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 16:37:
longevity, depth of play, repetition

Bingo! Watched some guys do a let's play, and by the end of the second round, thought "Is that it????".

I'll say this though, there's an offline play with bots (and coop with bots filling in) so I'll buy the GOTY version in a couple of years once all the DLC is included. Just don't see the point right now.

Exactly. Once it's all in one package, down to $20, I'll check it out...

But how is that different than any other MP shooter? Or any MP competitive game really... MOBA's bore the shit out of me for their repetition, but apparently one or two people like it ; )

I'd assume it's the flow and mechanics of the game that are boring. One way to make Quake and CS really boring would be to have one guy running around on his own while everyone else chases and shoots only at him

Sure that might be fun every now and then as a novelty but if that was the whole game? bleh

6835 Comments. 342 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo