Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 6473 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

News Comments > TF2 Characters Get Racy
5. Re: TF2 Characters Get Racy Jan 18, 2013, 02:39 Sepharo

Kosumo wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 01:46:
Thank God (or just Sepharo) that you have changed you pic/icon thing.

Haha yeah I did it weeks ago but seems like the cache wants to hold on to that particular one forever. That's me taking my 2nd quarter nap at Ford Field.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: TF2 Characters Get Racy Jan 18, 2013, 00:11 Sepharo

Wait how are all the news blurbs leaving out the fact that the Crazy Taxi guy is in this game?  

2. Re: TF2 Characters Get Racy Jan 18, 2013, 00:08 Sepharo

So what do we get in TF2 for buying this?  

News Comments > Steam Strategy Guides Launch
9. Re: Steam Strategy Guides Launch Jan 17, 2013, 22:14 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 21:39:
Dades wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 20:38:
I don't use strategy guides or read about builds or anything like that, ruins all of the challenge and fun of doing it yourself. For people who don't care as much then I'm sure its good but I have to wonder why bother when they could just go to gamefaqs.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

After playing Oblivion a few years ago, I happened upon the guide at a garage sale for $1. I had already gotten everything I wanted out of the game, but it was fun to go back and read the quests I'd done, see what I missed, etc. Also having a guide available when you're really stuck is convenient.

Agree with Brubeck tho, this needs to be optional/hideable.

The only guide I've ever owned was the one for Morrowind. Read that front to back multiple times and usually during class too. From what I remember it was actually pretty funny at times.

edit: This one which apparently sells for $97 new and $2 used. Hah, look at the author's other books.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2013, 22:20.

News Comments > Democracy 3 Announced
1. Re: Democracy 3 Announced Jan 17, 2013, 10:20 Sepharo

Fiscal Cliffski?  

News Comments > Edge: Valve, Mojang "Greatest Developers"
63. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 16, 2013, 20:20 Sepharo

It sounds to me like you want Minecraft to be more "gamey" than it is. The things you talk about being rough like combat, experience, adventure (nether quest), and NPCs are not core in my opinion. I feel like Notch added that stuff because of complaints that there was "nothing to do" and I've really not explored them in a significant way.

Verno wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 09:33:
It's too subjective to really debate with someone, is Garrys Mod a complete game? It's sold as one now but the user largely crafts the experience itself. Minecraft is similar.
I do consider Garry's Mod a complete "game". It does what it purports do and it does it well. If it doesn't have portals yet I don't consider that a missing feature. Minecraft lacks a lot boilerplate gaminess but makes up for it with a variety of game world mechanics not previously seen in all one sandbox title. That's why I've got to roll my eyes when people talk about missing features and a lack of things to do.

Verno wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 09:33:
Anyways I'm not trying to change your mind, you wanted me to explain my thoughts and so I did.
I'm glad you did, I just didn't want the verdict left at digital lego with half-finished features without an opposing view.
And again, I'm not taking this as a "diss", I had my time with Minecraft years ago now, I just think your assesment is wrong... Somebody is wrong on the internet! XD

60. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 16, 2013, 00:54 Sepharo

Yeah I don't get it, sorry bro. Calling it digital lego is not a diss on Minecraft or something. The creative building element of it will be the most recognized and likened to a real world component (lego). I'm talking more meta and you're being specific.
I don't think you're trying to "diss" Minecraft either and I'm not trying to defend it from that angle. I just think your assesment/summary is lacking/wrong; it's just not essentially lego anymore. But I think that's a pretty popular opinion and there's where I'm coming from in my distinction.

I didn't even mention a bug but...
Ahh I thought you had with the mention of the patchnotes and wiki lists but I see now that could all be about features. I was lazily responding sentence by sentence without quoting.

wishlist

I just don't see your wishlist as half finished ideas.

biome transitions -this is less abrupt than it was but still not great
new combat
something after diamonds other than crazy machines -derp
loot variety -there is dungeon type loot variation
graphics -derp
tutorials
-I don't think going to a wiki or watching youtube videos is so bad, it's part of enjoying the game as a community which is that magic that drives purchases for games like TF2 and WoW, HL mods... They don't have tutorials either for the most part. Also some consider it more fun to discover the recipes and concepts yourself. It's kind of refreshing being in a game where you don't know everything, you start out stranded in a world that appears blank or lacking things to do that then actually has a ridiculous amount of possibilities (and mechanics).

The game doesn't need to be a CRPG. It's a sandbox made by one guy in java that kept getting added to. It would be cool to see someone take the genre if that's what it is and make it Skyrim production quality and I'm we've sure seen plenty of clones but we haven't seen that yet. But that's not this game, Minecraft, which is a complete game.

58. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 15, 2013, 23:05 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 20:02:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 14:00:
This gets thrown around way too often... One aspect of Minecraft is digital lego, it's not essentially that.

Yeah it is. Minecraft isn't really much of a "game" per se, it's more about what you make of the experience. There are very few goals in the game and the overall structure and design is for the player to create content. I liken it to Lego because it has that same sort of appeal, I don't mean it's literally lego because "blocks" or something.

No but calling it essentially Lego ignores the absurd variety of mechanics in the game like mining, monsters, experience, lava, water, smelting, farming, crafting, pets, dye, electricity, circuits, pistons, day/night, villagers, trade... that's about half. One mechanic is stacking bricks. Here comes the part about Mindstorm
Verno wrote:
Sepharo wrote:
Also this thing about half finished ideas.. which ones are half finished?
Like half of the games features? Look at the patchnotes sometime, the game is frankenstein. Even something as simple as the AI is so rudimentary that you can't really enjoy the combat. They talked about expanding the combat system over a year ago but we haven't really seen any of that. More biome variety and actual biome transitions. Shit the wiki used to have a pages long list of features, bugs and talked about things that weren't in the game, I stopped checking it though.

You're complaining about bugs which is fair but that's not the same as half finished features. The AI isn't much different from MMO mechanics, they're either passive or aggresive and if they see you they make a beeline but avoiding obvious obstacles like lava. With a developer as open as Notch and now Mojang you hear about features and things they'd like to do all the time. Geeking out on the minutiae on the wiki is fun but I don't consider that stuff half finished. There's a very vocal Minecraft community who I'm sure, like the WoW community, just bitch up a storm about the game they devote half their days to

I guess I'm just being pedantic about Lego and half-finished but I feel like I read that a lot and disagree with it totally.

55. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 15, 2013, 14:00 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 11:48:
Spektr wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 08:11:
Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 18:44:
Mojang even being mentioned is a joke.

Why? I don't think we have seen the end of what Notch achieved with Minecraft. This game was developed by one single person and is followed by fans of all ages. From eight to forty. No other developer can brag about that.

I don't know, I think the mass appeal is interesting but it's essentially digit[url=][/url]al lego so it's not hard to understand. If you look at everything Notch has done, it's been fairly derivative and he seems to fall apart when it comes to adding original design to the product. Minecraft is the perfect example of that, it's a series of half finished ideas and clumsily executed designs.

So while I enjoyed Minecraft for what it was, it's not exactly the kind of design I want others to necessarily aspire to.

This gets thrown around way too often... One aspect of Minecraft
is digital lego, it's not essentially that.
Also this thing about half finished ideas.. which ones are half finished?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2013, 11:03 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 10:15:
Interesting vent. Personally, I enjoy when the primary source is cited rather than the secondary. I guess my vent on the vent is specifically about when Blue links to a Vimeo that's just an embedded YouTube link. I have no interest in Vimeo and always just click the YouTube icon to watch it on that site, where I can read the notes of whoever put it up and, if needed (and not horrific) the comments from the viewers. Inevitably the Vimeo comments are just "*cats" or "upvoted," with no discussion, and it never carries through the comments of the uploader, which is often needed for context.

You mean videosift.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2013, 22:13 Sepharo

Enthusiasms.  

News Comments > Double Fine in THQ Mix
27. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 13, 2013, 15:45 Sepharo

Dev wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 21:52:
Creston wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 17:46:
Ouch, really? :(
Its something I'm sure nearly all game projects go through. At some point the realization that you can't fit every feature possible into the available time and money for the project. While I think a lot of people may have been depressed over the last update, I'm actually encouraged by it, that they are keeping an eye on the budget and the progress that far in advance. In other words, rather than letting things slide until the last minute, they are keeping an eye on it. They are looking for possibility of getting funds elsewhere (NOT from publishers, but perhaps from some back catalog funds), but also looking that they may have to scale back some of the more expensive (aka time consuming) things they dream of doing.

I think its a very healthy process, and I think these documentaries should be watched by EVERYONE who wants to do a video game on kickstarter. See behind the scenes whats involved with doing a video game project.

(incidentally, I mentioned this in the last kickstarter thread )

I loved that serious business meeting with Tim where they presented him with three options and he was just like "uh lets do a little of each" and then everyone smiled and agreed. Bit of a cop out but still smart none the less.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 10, 2013, 01:30 Sepharo

Uh, they better not be switching my Messenger for Skype at work...

Messenger is integrated with Outlook and TFS and I use those features.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: China’s video game industry brought in $9.7 billion in 2012: Report… Jan 8, 2013, 23:12 Sepharo

How much of that does Activision get?  

News Comments > Steam Hardware
38. Re: Steam Hardware Jan 8, 2013, 20:36 Sepharo

Computational slivers with standardized wireless video streaming to ubiquitous displays is the future. Those slivers will become more powerful and simultaneously more storage and computation will be done in the cloud. Eventually the slivers and (personal) displays will phase out as we implant the tiny display and network technology into our bodies/brains.

But in the meantime Valve will make a box that Johnny Dumbass can hook to his TV.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 02:20 Sepharo

Jivaro wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 02:03:
Rigs wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 03:02:
Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 02:57:
No it's not strange to see the same teams in the playoffs. It's always cyclical when they're in dominance. Look at all the periods for the NFl and you'll usually see the same team in the playoffs for several years on a row until the key players retire or are traded and the rebuilding process begins again.

I'm aware of that, I was just surprised at the amount of teams that have come back again...I guess this doesn't apply to the defending Super Bowl champs, eh?

=-Rigs-=

Previous to this year the NFL had a streak of like 10 years where there were at least 5 teams in the playoffs who were not in the year before. Considering only 12 teams make the playoffs, that is a pretty high number. Some teams are more consistent then others, but even teams like the Packers, Patriots and the Steelers miss the playoffs occasionally. The Buffalo Bills are the only team not to make the playoffs since the turn of the century.

Woo Lions

This is a fun wiki article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_franchise_post-season_droughts

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 01:35 Sepharo

Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 23:22:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 22:50:
It will never happend, but Blair Walsh should be rookie of the year. They will never give it to a kicker, just like kickers and punters don't get into the Hall of Fame.

I'd never put a punter in the Hall of Fame, but Adam Vinatieri deserves a spot. I think Walsh has a shot at being rookie of the year, but it's kinda hard when you go up against three kick-ass rookie QBs...

Hah, that actually seems like all the more reason to do it now.

News Comments > On The Walking Dead Sales
2. Re: On The Walking Dead Sales Jan 7, 2013, 22:27 Sepharo

Reikon wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 21:21:
And they keep costs low by never bothering to fix bugs, like the save one.

Everytime I load up a new episode I freak out because it appears that my previous game isn't being continued, or it looks like it forgot I played the previous episode. But then I grudgingly hit continue and it loads me up in the new episode with my choices intact.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2013, 19:50 Sepharo

Well the two picks I got wrong were because of QB injury. Though you guys (and the "experts") tell me that Ponder would've lost against GB as well. I thought for sure AP would run wild again for the win.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2013, 17:26 Sepharo

Kosumo wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 16:45:
I enjoy the way how I'm always on edge when I'm in the water in farcry. It feel like I could be attack but shark,crocadile anytime (well most of the time) - I've often thought the games have not made very good use of the 'what lies below' of water over the last 8 years of FPS.

I stand up on a rock with my bow and long range snipe as many sharks as I can before entering the water

6473 Comments. 324 pages. Viewing page 40.
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo