Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 6647 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
131. Re: Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming Aug 26, 2014, 05:18 Sepharo

ASeven wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 04:44:
Words from an actual, real feminist on this matter.

A new picture detailing the conflict of interest between Nathan and Zoe.

Another picture demonstrating another conflict of interest between the Gone Home devs and Polygon.

Those were all good links. Thanks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 17:41 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 17:38:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 16:32:
I have to disagree with your assessment of the ages of the CS community though. I would say the majority playing are still teens.

Neither here nor there, regardless [..]

That was posted as an aside. My first sentence/paragraph was agreeing with you.

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 16:32 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 16:19:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 14:13:
Your anecdotal evidence is countered by others' anecdotal evidence. One of my female friends is really deep into the fighting game community. She has an album on facebook with hundreds of sexist abuse messages that she gets sent on xbox live. She doesn't even post the majority of them, just a couple of really vile ones once a week for years now.

I have a bit of a bone to pick with this example though, I've bolded it. I've endured a lot of abuse on Xbox Live and I would wager most other people have too. The CS community is pretty good these days since many of the players are now in their 30s.

No doubt the level of abuse is wildly different depending on, platform, game, and community.

I have to disagree with your assessment of the ages of the CS community though. I would say the majority playing are still teens. Did you know that CS:GO is the 2nd most played game on Steam behind DOTA2? There are over 200,000 playing right now.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video
11. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 16:28 Sepharo

entr0py wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 16:03:
It makes me realize that Oculus needs to get cracking on a controller before the commercial release. Mice and keyboards or gamepads aren't really adequate for VR. Developers will want some kind of standard controller they can rely on the customer having.

I don't agree, I'm fine with using keyboard and mouse in combination with the Oculus. Those hyrda controllers are cool but I'm not sure if I would use them.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 14:41 Sepharo

Cpmartins wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 14:39:
All communities have their toxic elements. Some more, some less. In those communities, you will find sub-communities that frown upon those practices. Those are the ones I looked for when I started playing in them. It took effort. It wasn't an overnight thing. When I joined BWC, my outfit in Planetside 2, I had already played the game some, and the first ten minutes in the game after release were spent shutting the built-in comms. But I looked. Then I found. Because when you look for something, you tend to find it.

The difference is that I didn't keep an album of all the shit being flung everywhere at everyone at all times that is some public platoons. I said fuck it, let me find my space where i'd like to spend my time here.

You started your original post with "Sexism is not a problem". Now you've changed to, I avoid/ignore it.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video
5. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 14:21 Sepharo

I want to reload that revolver Drool  

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 14:13 Sepharo

Cpmartins wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 13:53:
Sexism is not a problem. I watched the sarkeesian videos as you recommended and by all that is mighty and holy that woman is an insufferable liar. All her arguments are made up and she never, ever, provides any links to anything except her own propaganda.

I looked everywhere I could on my gaming circles and found nothing. Zero. Nada. If anything women are more respected than men, but the sample size is so small I couldn't tell. Again, this is from personal experience.

A lot of Planetside 2, Team Fortress, WoW, Guild Wars 2 and Neverwinter Nights (though the last one isn't a regular choice for me)
On PS2, out of our 120 players (3 platoons) last friday, we had 2 women, and one of them was a commanding officer who was there just to organize and take attendance. WoW and GW2 we had more, maybe 20%? Not a single instance of disrespect on both counts. RF2 i wouldn't know because fuck me if I'm going in VoIP on that.

Your anecdotal evidence is countered by others' anecdotal evidence. One of my female friends is really deep into the fighting game community. She has an album on facebook with hundreds of sexist abuse messages that she gets sent on xbox live. She doesn't even post the majority of them, just a couple of really vile ones once a week for years now.

I've been playing CS for 15 years now. Some communities are really respectful of women gamers and actively try to foster servers where that kind of abuse isn't tolerated. But even in those places kids will join and start up with the abuse over the microphone as soon as they hear a female voice.

But the internet is vile a place... I don't want to diminish the abuse and I hope things get better but at the same time I agree with many people in this hobby that the campaign against this abuse has often gone too far. What's needed is more active moderation, more respectable communities, not a million blog articles bashing male gamers.

This is my first post on this topic in years, frankly I find both sides to be extremists.
I would just plainly advise to be nice, treat others as you wish to be treated.

News Comments > Into the Black
12. Re: Into the Black Aug 19, 2014, 21:22 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 21:12:
And as it comes out this guy was a punk. A well known thug. With people like him it's usually a question of when, not if someone will shoot him.
That isn't to say the situation in Ferguson isn't fucked up, but that guy was a career criminal in training. Can't say I feel the least bit sorry for him.

You're a disgusting person.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
33. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2014, 21:11 Sepharo

nin wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 08:35:
[..] out at a large body of water connected to an ocean or sea, formed by an inlet of water due to the surrounding land blocking some waves and often reducing winds.

I can't figure out if this is relevant to the Star Wars cut you're talking about or a stray copypaste.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2014, 22:30.

News Comments > John Romero's New Shooter Plans
42. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 03:51 Sepharo

Krovven wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 03:27:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:04:
Creston wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 18:46:
And the room. Went. Wild.

Really? Together, as id, they made two great shooters. Individually, other than Carmack, none of those guys has ever achieved much, if anything.

Stop giving the guy so much credit for shit he did 20 years ago, people.

Agreed. He made FUCKING MOBILE GAMES. And his last PC/xbox/ps3 cross platform project failed after 2 years of development.

F him. I have no faith in him at this point.

Him and CB can go F themselves.

I have never really understood the hate towards Romero or Carmack. Only in the game industry can someone make some great games; ya know just games that changed gaming forever with Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake...only to be hated and told to go fuck themselves because their careers didn't unfold according to what some of you wanted.

Only in the game industry huh? Never heard of the music industry?

News Comments > John Romero's New Shooter Plans
39. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 00:43 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:28:
Flak wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:22:
Unless you're giving us Doom 2 with challenging AI, 40 decently designed levels, enemies that actually pose a challenge, weapons that don't feel like yet another shitty M16 clone (don't forget all the goofy accessories), and full 32 player multiplayer carnage with LAN/Dedicated servers...

If I ain't gots me a chainsaw, a double-barrel shotgun, and an ample supply of demon guts plastered all over the screen: GET BACK IN YOUR HOLE ROMERO.

+1

The problem is that kids these days only want rail shooters and twitch tiny room shooters. Skill and level design is long gone....

And then there is the excellent level design of Titanfall.

News Comments > Sierra Entertainment Revival
30. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 23:56 Sepharo

Activision hedging its bets by putting in place a small Adventure studio?
With all the recent Adventure comebacks on Kickstarter and the Oculus Rift a dice roll from going viral it's probably not a bad move at all.

I wonder if any of the Kickstarter folks like Jane Jensen and Two Guys From Andromeda are involved? What's Roberta Williams up to?

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Aug 8, 2014, 22:26 Sepharo

Throw out the resumes from dumb people.
Dumb people spam every job listing instead of just the one they actually want.
Throw their resume out... unless you want a dumb person working alongside of you.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 8, 2014, 02:20 Sepharo

Squirmer wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 00:06:
It's obviously a bullshit survey. Betty White appeared high on the list of most influential celebrities among teenagers? I don't know how they carried out this survey but it's clearly worthless.

Judging from Paul Walker being so high I'm assuming it was from right around the time he died. Around that same time Betty White was all over the place on talk shows, special appearances etc.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
27. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 7, 2014, 20:14 Sepharo

That's not even an argument the lawyers are making. Why are you making it? The game design and characters were not taken from a cat toy.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 7, 2014, 01:12 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 23:09:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 22:43:
Nothing you wrote/pasted disagrees with what ForgedReality said.

But after looking into it some more, there is some science at work here than neither of you touched on. Flat black does emit heat radiation better than non-black or glossy black.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emissivity

Yes it does. He said colour doesn't affect an object and it does. Take to aluminum blocks and paint one black and one white and put them out in the sun for an hour. The black one is going to be hotter.

Yes, but as you've misunderstood again, that's about absorption not emission.
A point that he made in his own post, and you then followed up on essentially agreeing.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 6, 2014, 22:43 Sepharo

Nothing you wrote/pasted disagrees with what ForgedReality said.

But after looking into it some more, there is some science at work here than neither of you touched on. Flat black does emit heat radiation better than non-black or glossy black.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emissivity

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2014, 22:49.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2014, 22:37 Sepharo

Blue deleted my recreation of the post in this PA strip...
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/11/03

21. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2014, 22:33 Sepharo

Orogogus wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 19:47:
1badmf wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 01:23:
it's pretty clear the game is based on her designs with some modifications

What makes you say that? I mentioned it before, but I don't think her design really looks anything like the video game birds. They're both red and they have big white eyes. She claims Hartz used her font, but they don't look similar at all. What else are you and Quboid seeing?

I suspect it's from not reading the PDF and the misleading headline.

17. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2014, 01:58 Sepharo

1badmf wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 01:23:
it's pretty clear the game is based on her designs with some modifications

I almost responded the first time you said this but Beamer covered it in a roundabout way. I guess you missed it though because this has nothing to do with the game design / art / gameplay. It's about the name "Angry Birds" as used in pet toys. Do you really think 1 bird from a cheap cat toy series inspired the design of the Angry Birds mobile game?

6647 Comments. 333 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo