Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 6961 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated]
134. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated] Jul 8, 2015, 04:03 Sepharo

InBlack wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 03:24:
Loving it how all the fanboys are resorting to personal attacks against Derek, since the walls of text from the RSI forums are factually and practically bullshit. Not that he doesnt have it coming, but here is a bit of logic for you:

Defending Star Citizen's abysmal project management, and development by personal attacks against people online, big, small or douchy, wont make your game come along any faster, or even 'magically' better, or....wait, did I say game? What game? Starcitizen at this point is a Hangar, a DM arena module, and art concept ships (and has been for some time)

The writing is on the wall, you can choose to ignore it but that wont make it dissapear.

You're not reading the posts if you think defense of Star Citizen is what's going on.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > METAL GEAR SOLID: THE PHANTOM PAIN Trailer
3. Re: METAL GEAR SOLID: THE PHANTOM PAIN Trailer Jul 7, 2015, 23:56 Sepharo

I cut into the video randomly and watched Snake attach a hot air balloon to a body that briefly floated and then quickly flung into the air. Immediately after Snake's arm detached and turned into a remote controlled slow moving rocket that the enemies somehow didn't notice, navigated through a building and then exploded.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
10. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 6, 2015, 01:56 Sepharo

harlock wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 21:18:
humanity had their chance and they are about to blow it - it wont be long now until the shit really hits the fan

Humans have been saying this ever since they could imagine it.

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
1152. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jul 6, 2015, 01:54 Sepharo

Think again.  

News Comments > Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced
34. Re: Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced Jul 5, 2015, 01:51 Sepharo

We use 8.1 at work. Throw classic shell on there and it's the best Windows I've used. Still have 7 at home but will probably do the free 10 when it launches.  

News Comments > Op Ed
38. Re: Op Ed Jul 5, 2015, 01:47 Sepharo

How is this the first time I'm hearing of Line of Defense?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlYGgju1R2o
This video of this guy struggling to play the game has a youtube comment from Derek Smart telling the guy to RTFM in only the beautiful way dsmart can.

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2015, 02:15.

News Comments > ELEX Announced
17. Re: ELEX Announced Jul 4, 2015, 15:05 Sepharo

Quboid wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 13:41:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 18:15:
Cutter is actually a bit right here. Historically "acronym" only referred to abbreviations by initials that were pronounceable... but that's been changing.

Via wiktionary:
1. An abbreviation formed by (usually initial) letters taken from a word or series of words, that is itself pronounced as a word, such as RAM, radar, or scuba; sometimes contrasted with initialism.
2. A pronounceable word formed from the beginnings (letter or syllable) of other words and thus representing the phrase so formed, e.g. Benelux = the countries Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg considered as a political or economic whole.
3. Any abbreviation so formed, regardless of pronunciation, such as TNT, BBC, IBM, or XML.

#3 was the only one I was familiar with.

Pronounceable as a word is different to "predicated on an actual word". I've never heard of the later. Definitions can change from country to country or even within countries. Summer starts on the 1st of June for me regardless of when Blue welcomes it in OotB, so it's technically possible that Cutter is right from his point of view. Technically.

That why I said a bit right
He hinted at a point of contention I didn't realize existed, he just didnt get the specifics exactly right but was pretty close.

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Jul 3, 2015, 19:51 Sepharo

jimnms wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 19:33:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 22:49:
Dacron wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 21:47:
Silent Bob wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 17:11:
HoSpanky wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 13:54:
Well, a huge portion of the game world is clearly there for multiplayer. I never had a reason to visit the wind farm in single player, but then they have you race jets at insanely low altitude through it in multi.

There was one mission in single player on PC where you had to fly through the wind farm with choppers.

A bounty for Trevor is in there as well I believe.

I don't think so. I just recently did all of those on PC and I don't recall going over there.

You might be thinking of the quarry which is nearby.

I thought there was a bounty there as well. If it wasn't a bounty, then it must have been a strangers & freaks or something because I do remember going there for some reason. There also was a heist mission where you had to fly a helicopter through the wind farm to lose the Merryweather helicopters chasing you. Since heists have two ways of completing them, you probably didn't chose that option. I re-played each heist to try both options, but I don't remember which heist it was.

Yeah I recall a few missions over there. But they weren't a Bounty mission.

News Comments > ELEX Announced
15. Re: ELEX Announced Jul 3, 2015, 18:15 Sepharo

Cutter is actually a bit right here. Historically "acronym" only referred to abbreviations by initials that were pronounceable... but that's been changing.

Via wiktionary:
1. An abbreviation formed by (usually initial) letters taken from a word or series of words, that is itself pronounced as a word, such as RAM, radar, or scuba; sometimes contrasted with initialism.
2. A pronounceable word formed from the beginnings (letter or syllable) of other words and thus representing the phrase so formed, e.g. Benelux = the countries Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg considered as a political or economic whole.
3. Any abbreviation so formed, regardless of pronunciation, such as TNT, BBC, IBM, or XML.

#3 was the only one I was familiar with.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2015, 18:20.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Jul 2, 2015, 22:49 Sepharo

Dacron wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 21:47:
Silent Bob wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 17:11:
HoSpanky wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 13:54:
Well, a huge portion of the game world is clearly there for multiplayer. I never had a reason to visit the wind farm in single player, but then they have you race jets at insanely low altitude through it in multi.

There was one mission in single player on PC where you had to fly through the wind farm with choppers.

A bounty for Trevor is in there as well I believe.

I don't think so. I just recently did all of those on PC and I don't recall going over there.

You might be thinking of the quarry which is nearby.

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship
61. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jul 2, 2015, 20:59 Sepharo

Krowen wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 20:54:
Not that its really any of your fucking business but I make good money and was smart with financial decisions in my youth so I have disposable income now. Some people spend $1500 on sports and beer, I spend $1500 on games. Also in my awesome Nintendo amiibo collection, seriously mine owns and I don't care what shitty thing you have to say about it mr "plan foolish"

I'm spending $2,000+ to watch american football in London this year.
But I guess I do get a week long UK trip out of it.

It's all fleeting though, I don't get to keep anything but the memories and ticket stubs.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Gun Metal Update
3. Re: Team Fortress 2 Gun Metal Update Jul 2, 2015, 20:50 Sepharo

Retired wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 19:54:
*yawn

I can't believe they are charging for this considering how much money they make on the game every day.

Did you make it to the end? Blue only mentions one free map but there's a lot more free stuff than that:
Don't worry, frugal guy, we've got you covered too! A new Valve map! Three new community maps! Taunts! A new way to equip new weapons in-game for free! Loads of class and weapon changes! Check out the details here. You guys, this is a big update. And it lands tomorrow, so check back.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2015, 18:45 Sepharo

nin wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 17:55:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 16:51:
Vote for, "Fuck the two party system"

FINALLY, we agree! :)

Well... it won't "count".

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2015, 16:51 Sepharo

Rigs wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 16:37:
So, wait, you're telling me that by voting for the candidate I don't like, I'm affecting more change than by not voting at all?! What?! You guys are crazy!

Imagine if those who didn't see a candidate they liked refused to vote at all. All of them. Say only (pulling from thin air here) only 5% vote - for a presidential election. You don't think they're not going to notice? And even if they don't, the media will, and that is the point. The media will harp up and down that our confidence in respectable, electable candidates has disappeared, dried up. It won't effect that election, but bet your ass the two parties will think twice about running the same old song an dance again.

You're not going to affect change by voting for the other guy. What message does that send? They'll just think, like with Obama, that he was popular or had a popular message, not that everyone hated both candidates. Besides, I'm not going to know who will win, so how am I to know who to vote for? If I don't like either one, which one do I choose? It's stupid. Not voting sends a clear message that I don't like the established set of candidates and until such time as someone comes along that I think will actually be a benefit to this country, I will continue to keep my vote silent. Your method is madness and does nothing to help the larger problem!

=-Rigs-=

You can literally write whatever you want on the ballot. Vote for yourself if you want. Stop being a lazy ass and get to the polls.

Vote for, "Fuck the two party system"

News Comments > Valve on Steam Scams
34. Re: Valve on Steam Scams Jul 1, 2015, 21:35 Sepharo

Krovven wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 18:39:
How do you know they weren't abusing the system? If you looked on the forums, there were people admitting they were doing exactly that. Buy, bad review, refund, buy, bad review refund, etc. Assholes were testing the new system and abusing it any way they could. I'm not sure why you think this isn't the case.

This is the part I was missing. It never crossed my mind that this would be a thing. You should have said that in your initial reply. I didn't understand how a single refund of a game with technical issues applied to the conversation at all about "cycling refunds". I still think that's bonkers though and that there is likely very few people doing that compared to the amount who performed a simple single refund. And I still think that it is unsustainable. I don't know what Valve is doing, but they said they would be looking out for abuse, this would definitely qualify.

News Comments > Valve on Steam Scams
32. Re: Valve on Steam Scams Jun 30, 2015, 23:45 Sepharo

Krovven wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 23:38:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 15:28:
Krovven wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 15:19:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 00:33:
Krovven wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 00:08:
Satoru wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 20:38:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 00:51:
There is another certain "scam" going on, or perhaps a better way to label it is "gaming the system", but in many multiplayer games, the steam refunds policy is biting players in the ass right now, with cheaters purchasing games for almost exactly 1 hour and fifty minutes, going to wreck shit on servers where they got owned and can't compete properly, and then getting a refund and repeating the process. VAC and the other assorted anti-cheats out there don't catch them generally in this small window of time and I've not heard of anyone being punished for this behavior. This is happening in many steam multiplayer games currently.

You can't really sustain this

1) You have to haven a valid payment method
2) Steam tracks these things
3) Steam already is sending nasty-grams to people who do 'too many refunds'
4) note even if you 'kite cards' you still have the orignal purchase money that you HAVE to spend somehow.
5) Steam refunds take anywhere from 2-7 days so constantly cycling the card is impratical

Its really a short term 'herp derp' thing. But its unsustainable long term because it requires constant recycling of a valid payment method, which Valve WILL black list at some point if they want to. Cycling pre-paid cards is EXPENSIVE to do with all the fees associated with using them.

Its likely people are simply ascribing the cheaters they see with the new policy, rather than say the fact that CSGO was dirt cheap during the sale and thus attracts lots of new cheating accounts anyway.

It doesn't matter if it doesn't appear sustainable to you. People will find a way. Right now they are doing it because they can and testing the boundaries. It costs them nothing.

I wrote about this the other day. It's the main reason Arkham Knight was removed, not out of the goodness of their hearts. Just because you don't want to believe it, doesn't make it so.

Arkham Knight has multiplayer that people hack in?
Are you following the conversation?

Multiplayer griefing is a symptom of the problem. Recycling refunds is the source of the problem. Are you keeping up with the conversation?

We were talking about the refund policy possibly increasing the amount/rate of cheaters in multiplayer games. You jumped in and disagreed with nothing to add other than essentially "you're wrong" and then said, "It's the main reason Arkham Knight was removed". Even if we disregard that the conversation was about using the grace period to cheat in games repeatedly, the main reason that Akrham Knight was removed wasn't people cycling refunds... it was people getting a refund plain and simple, and they got refunds because of technical issues they were having with the game or being dissatisfied with it within the first 2 weeks or first 2 hours of play.

Not sure what bug got in your bonnet with this. The only thing that I disagreed with is it not being sustainable. The people that will do it, will find a way and cited the Arkham situation as an example. Really not sure what you are arguing.

You're still missing the point, he was referring to the sustainability of repeatedly cheating in a game by abusing the refund system. The people who got refunds on Arkham weren't abusing the system.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2015, 23:36 Sepharo

nin wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 23:27:
mag wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 23:14:
Rigs wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 15:27:
And what do we all do? Sit here and bitch about it. Yet, come election day, we'll gladly check those marks for the same bastards that have been in office most of their life and probably will retire there...

I'm sorry, you can't complain (well, I mean you 'can', but still) if you blindly go in and vote the same mothersfuckers in each and every time and each and every time they do nothing. Who's stupider? The fool or the fool that keeps voting them into office?

I'm 37 and I haven't voted once in my life. Not once. Only because no one has come around that had me thinking they would actually make a damn bit of difference. And I don't foresee anyone in the near half century either! Dark, sad days ahead of us and the only one to blame is ourselves!

=-Rigs-=

By not voting, you are implicitly voting them in yourself. Thanks, buddy!

Gotta respectfully agree. When it finally comes down to two candidates(*), you don't vote for who you want to win, you vote against who you think will do the most damage.

*(ignoring third party candidates, that sadly stand no chance, and only draw % away from either of the majority candidates)

I don't think it was you, but I remember arguing with some other Okie who was into the whole, "It's pointless, my guy won't even come close, why should I bother" argument. Couldn't get them to concede that every vote counts. By not voting you're guaranteeing that it will continue to be pointless, by voting and encouraging other like minded people to vote you increase the chances... And even when you still lose, the surge is hard to ignore and will affect the conversation and the next election, that's how momentum is built.

Edit: Oh derp, I finally put in the right search terms... That was you
I actually know of a surprising amount of people from Oklahoma on the forums I'm on.
And I should clarify that you didn't say you weren't voting, just that you felt your vote "didn't count". But no need to rehash that discussion.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2015, 23:43.

News Comments > Minecraft PC Sells > 20M
18. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jun 30, 2015, 22:34 Sepharo

Orogogus wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 21:21:
52M is less than Minecraft's combined 70M+. 30M on mobile, 20M on PC, 20M on Xbox 360 + One, unknown quantity on PS platforms.

Polygon link

Minecraft is just a meme. A 6 year, 70 million copies, spanning all ages, 2 billion dollar valuation, fad. Just like that CS fad and that Lego fad, or hell take a look at this Star Wars fad... Can you believe people actually like that? More like it's popular just because it's popular amirite?

News Comments > Battlefield 2143 Images?
43. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 30, 2015, 21:13 Sepharo

Slick wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 20:33:
bf3 and 4 are not rife with cheaters actually. compared to counterstrike, or previous BF games, it's gone down drastically.

I've put in over 1000 hours combined with bf3 and bf4 and I've seen 3 hackers. so unless i have the best luck in the world, then most of the time it's just people getting pwned and getting butthurt. if you're getting shot from 2km away with an "AMMO BOX" then guess what, that's a hacker. if you got pwned and don't understand "how he saw me" then you just don't understand how the game works. spam spotting ftw.

It's the same thing with CS really. Cheaters are overstated in all MP FPS in my opinion. Anecdotally, I've personally seen a few cheaters in my thousands of hours in CS:S, I haven't seen any in CS:GO in my 450 hours. Original CS had periods of time where the cheaters would get really bad but then it would die down as anti-cheats were updated. I of course know people are out there cheating in all 3 because the anti-cheat technologies detect them (a few a day on a very popular server), but when they're not being detected I'm very wary of admin and player initiated accusations.

News Comments > Battlefield 2143 Images?
34. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 30, 2015, 01:10 Sepharo

Slick wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 00:35:
Krowen wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 21:38:
Basically your opinions are garbage and only seem designed to antagonize other posters unnecessarily in a way that attempts to put EA games in a positive light.

It's funny how "antagonistic I'm being", compared to the rest of you. might want to re-read your own tones before commenting on mine.

And it wasn't EA, it was GameSpy. I know that if there's the whiff of EA's blood in the water, you go crazy trying to sniff it out. But it was Gamespy that went under and took all these games with it. EA could have bought up a company which was fundamentally broken and insolvent. All so a game which hasn't sold one new copy in 5 years, that 15-20 people still regularly play can be still around for NONE of you to actually go and play. yes they could have. they didn't. it's too bad. are they monsters for letting it sink? fuck no.

You're fucking activists. the fucking SJW of the gaming scene, always looking for a bullshit cause that you like believing in, but has zero real-world applicability to you, nor 99.999999% of the rest of humanity. you don't play the game, you wouldn't play it it if you had a second chance. But you bitch about the "idea" of needing to be able to play the game online. you pine for an opportunity to play with 8 guys from Russia who are all hacking on some old and busted game.

you guys need to learn to let go. for real. you must have abandonment issues.

Believe me, anyone reading this (especially this post right here) is going to think you're the crazy one.

6961 Comments. 349 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo