Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 6555 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
14. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 10, 2013, 19:04 Sepharo

Where are you guys getting this insubordinate/sass bit from? I read all three articles. Lenz frequently took pictures during major meetings and posted them to an internal site. But at this particular meeting when he took a photo he was fired on the spot. Then the CEO made a locker room analogy and talked about leaks despite the pictures being for an internal site.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
9. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 10, 2013, 16:35 Sepharo

It's weird that they present it as leaking when the pictures were being posted to an internal site.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
9. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Aug 10, 2013, 15:58 Sepharo

Reducing the amount of employees that have god-mode access to the most sophisticated and wide reaching spy system ever developed is a good thing no matter where you stand on the topic.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 10, 2013, 03:40 Sepharo

Julio wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 18:56:
There's no personal attack here on a Blue's poster. And no personal attack even on a living person. So if it's ok for Osama, it's ok for Steve in my books.

Blue's post that you seemed to be commenting on was specifically about personal attacks on public figures.

News Comments > Valve Closes SF Satellite Office
13. Re: Valve Closes SF Satellite Office Aug 9, 2013, 02:10 Sepharo

Jivaro wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 21:05:
Prez wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 20:49:
Valve was super cool about it and is letting us continue to work on our game and is also giving us the office.

Hey, here have an office! Nice.

And it sounds like they also said "Keep the project assets and game you were working on while we were paying you".

Reminds me of a similar story a month or so back...Valve told those folks (and the attorneys) they could take their project assets with them as well. Pretty cool. I am not sure most, if any, other companies would do that.

It was their hardware people/tinkerers. They let them leave and take ALL of the expensive/rare lab equipment as well.

News Comments > Matt Hooper Joins Oculus VR
12. Re: Matt Hooper Joins Oculus VR Aug 9, 2013, 02:08 Sepharo

Optional Nickname! wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 01:32:
Once the novelty wears off you are left with this increasingly heavy and awkward, low-resolution, physiologically questionable, sweat accumulating, wired LCD screen strapped to your face.

Didn't feel heavy to me. Admittedly I only wore it for a few minutes but I was pretty amazed with how light it was. Just about everybody that handled it mentioned it was unexpectedly light in their hands.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 9, 2013, 02:03 Sepharo

Julio wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 17:41:
Dig up Steve's corpse and dump it in the ocean next to Osama's.

Julio wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 13 minutes later:
Sometimes there's a lot of personal attacks, but I view those as someone that is unable to contribute an intelligent point to a conversation.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Cord Cutting Aug 9, 2013, 01:47 Sepharo

You didn't have to go with the antenna. Even if you don't pay for cable TV the cable company is legally obligated to provide local channels and public access cable stations for free over the line. I think you do need to have a QAM tuner or some sort of digital receiver to do it. I did what you did only 4 years ago, dropped TV and upgraded bandwidth. Mine started at $75 for 35Mbps but today I think it's $89. But anyways, I'm able to watch a good amount of HD local sports and I guess whatever else is on network TV... Oh and of course the public access let's me know whats for lunch in school today.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
92. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 23:17 Sepharo

Thanks for the replies Prez.

http://tigger.uic.edu/~pdoran/012009_Doran_final.pdf

This document makes it very clear what the responses were and how the question (#2) was worded. I can understand distaste with media spinning and tone on both sides of the debate but you're wrong to diminish the consensus.

Here's another:
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/06/04/1003187107.full.pdf+html

80. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 00:02 Sepharo

I think what you're saying is reasonable. It's good to be skeptical about everything. But you're going against the scientific consensus, and claiming that that consensus is itself spin. Other posters (and the article) have claimed that attacks on climate science have poisoned the public against scientists. You claim that you don't listen to that media and have arrived at your own conclusions about why the climate scientists are biased. I'd like to know how you did that. Maybe you'll convince me to be less trusting of that scientific consensus.

As you probably know, I do the majority of my research at wikipedia. I make sure to check the citations, article history, and talk page in addition to the article itself. I feel this gives a great critical summary of both sides of any argument because despite some beliefs that wikipedia is biased in someway there are always debates/arguments/edit-wars going on about the controversial subjects. Like someone mentioned earlier much of the fud about humanity's role in climate change is coming from those who stand to lose when green house gasses and pollution are curbed. Of course the opposite can be true as well but I'm not going to allege a vast conspiracy to arrive at scientific consensus simply to make some al gore bucks on green energy. Some, hopefully most, scientists really do it for the science.

edit: Your last two posts before my reply were actually more reasonable than the one I initially replied to and the one before that.

This:
Too many scientists are spinning the data and experiments to fit their pre-conceived notions rather than allowing their research to shape their conclusions which has also helped weaken the public's trust in climate science.

And this:
You are flatly incorrect about the amount of empirical data that is presented as is from what I have seen. It is a political issue, which means that all too often the truth is skewed depending on who is talking. Your bias has blinded you to objectivism.

The bottom line is that the evidence is strongly in favor of the conclusion that the earth is indeed warming. But those who claim that it also proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is a man-made phenomenon (with many supposed "scientists" among them) are spinsters - there is far from overwhelming evidence of that. The jury is still out on that as far as I am concerned.

Don't seem to match with this:
ALL climatologists agree man is responsible for some global warming.

And this:
As I tried to explain it would be far more effective to sell green initiatives by the tangible positive results they can and will yield in the short term rather than the typical bogey-man fear mongering about some far-off disaster that has long since started falling on mostly deaf ears.

You might be confusing media fear mongering with scientists fear mongering. I haven't really seen much of the latter.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2013, 00:18.

News Comments > Dead Island Epidemic Announced
2. Re: Dead Island Epidemic Announced Aug 7, 2013, 21:21 Sepharo

Not playing unless there are collectible hats/cards.  

72. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 21:12 Sepharo

1badmf wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 09:12:
it's really shameful how what are otherwise well-meaning people can be blinded by dollar signs, both in your situation and in large business. long term sustainability is almost always shoved out the window for a quick buck. i love the exceptions; google, amazon, even apple, but detroit, hollywood, of course wall street have been guilty of it for decades.

wtf? Detroit is lined up with Hollywood and Wall Street now? How do you figure?

This along with CNN posting a survey from Conde Nast Traveler which ranked Detroit as the 8th unfriendliest city in the world, just has me confused as hell. Sure are a lot of people out there talking about Detroit who have no idea.

I honestly scrolled through the friendliest list first and didn't see Detroit there so thought, "Oh well it's international..." and then looked at the unfriendly list and saw it as 8th in the world. Anyone who's interacted with the people and businesses of Detroit would tell you how friendly they are... it's the fuckin midwest not some east coast rude bullshit.

69. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 20:51 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 16:07:
Sounds like conservative media got to you Prez.

Nope. Don't watch or listen to it, and don't listen to people who do. You are flatly incorrect about the amount of empirical data that is presented as is from what I have seen. It is a political issue, which means that all too often the truth is skewed depending on who is talking. Your bias has blinded you to objectivism.

The bottom line is that the evidence is strongly in favor of the conclusion that the earth is indeed warming. But those who claim that it also proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is a man-made phenomenon (with many supposed "scientists" among them) are spinsters - there is far from overwhelming evidence of that. The jury is still out on that as far as I am concerned.

But where do you get this stuff if you're totally disconnected from media? Are you doing your own research? Can I see what you've published?

I know that sounds antagonistic but I just don't get your approach. How can you claim that you avoid the "it's not man-made" spinning but then claim that scientists who point towards man-made global warming are themselves spinning. Says who? Says what research?

I admit I haven't read the article yet but that headline seems to be describing you.

66. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 20:24 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 19:55:
Even though I rarely read anything but ebooks anymore I'll alaways like the classy look of a bookshelf filled with bound hardcover books in my parlor.

I bet it smells of rich mahogany.

News Comments > John Carmack Joins Oculus VR
77. Re: Into the Black Aug 7, 2013, 20:23 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 19:56:
SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 18:49:
Ray Marden wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 18:32:
Noting this is all moot while I wear glasses,
Ray
I do hope they will figure something out for people wearing glasses, but I thought I've read somewhere that you don't really have to worry about that as the screens you are looking at are literally right in front of your eyes.
It ships with several sets of corrective lenses, and I believe there is room for a set of glasses inside as well.

Yeah the guy who was giving out free roller coaster rides at work would ask how people's vision was and would do some quick adjustments before handing it over. Seemed pretty easy.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Aug 7, 2013, 20:08 Sepharo

32. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 20:06 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 15:42:
Every time I go to replay Skyrim I spend 2-3 hours getting mods installed, updated, etc then never actually play it

Hell you at least install the mods. I just read about which ones I should get and then... wait did I just win a round of GunGame? Where am I?

News Comments > Police Quest-Inspired Kickstarter Cancelled
17. Re: Police Quest-Inspired Kickstarter Cancelled Aug 6, 2013, 23:56 Sepharo

Julio wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 20:04:
I'm up to 7 games KS right now or so, and willing to fund more that I want. I'm not into the old school point and click adventure games unless we're talking Maniac Mansion 3 or something epic like that. Police Quest doesn't cut it.

I figured this didn't do well because most of us are already in on this Space Quest kickstarter.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 5, 2013, 22:19 Sepharo

This would be in addition to six strikes. One aspect of Six Strikes is the copyright alert system... they just want it to serve up an ad along with the alert.  

News Comments > Crytek Sites Breached
12. Re: Crytek Sites Breached Aug 3, 2013, 18:04 Sepharo

Slayblaze wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 16:58:
Yep, been doing it that way for years. In fact my "online identity" is a complete fabrication, with only my closest friends being able to tie the "real me" to my online persona.

So you put pictures of a car up with plates in the picture that isn't actually yours? Whose car and plates are those then? Also your/his reflection is very clear in the two bumper shots

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2013, 18:19.

6555 Comments. 328 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo