Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 6605 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Leaked Source 2 Screenshot?
17. Re: Leaked Source 2 Screenshot? Jan 28, 2014, 01:26 Sepharo

DangerDog wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 00:12:
Frijoles wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 22:08:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 19:56:
Update to Source engine is way overdue.

Haven't they been continually updating it over the years, adding new bits of technology to it? Get rid of the damn loading screens and I'll be happy with it.

The last major upgrade that I can think of was the "Lost Coast" level for HL2.

Is this sarcasm?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_engine#Modularity_and_notable_upgrades

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2014, 21:49 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 15:30:
Quboid wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 09:28:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 23:05:
Quboid wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 22:12:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 21:40:
Quboid wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 20:36:
Fake boobs doesn't mean she's stupid.

Do you realize what you just said?

"I do not think that word means what you think it means...."

Er, no. Should that have been "don't"? I feel that's not what you're referring to.

Agent.X7, saying she's got nothing but boobs seems like you're calling her stupid. That's how I read it and FWIW, I agree with my misinterpretation of your point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

I know. I haven't seen that movie but I probably know 50% of the lines in it. I still don't know what word I am misusing.

DOESN'T

This conversation has been bugging the hell out of me.

"Having fake boobs doesn't mean she's stupid."

"An IQ of 120 doesn't mean he's smart."
"Having an IQ of 120 doesn't mean he's smart."

It's fine to leave off the having... That is implied.
Doesn't is correct.
But it doesn't matter anyway.

News Comments > EA Paying for YouTube Love
40. Re: EA Paying for YouTube Love Jan 23, 2014, 21:41 Sepharo

We've been using Win 8 at work for a while now and now every time I open the task manager at home on Win 7 I momentarily think something is wrong.
"Whoa what happened? Why am I looking at the XP task manager?!"

News Comments > Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details
33. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 22, 2014, 13:26 Sepharo

Billboard design is outpacing computer hardware? I find that hard to believe. It's not like billboards are new or something. How did they design billboards 3 years ago?  

31. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 22, 2014, 12:40 Sepharo

BitWraith wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 09:30:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 14:38:
Axis wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 17:29:
Beamer, most large companies still use desktops, even more smaller ones do.

This is really old fashioned. You're dealing with some companies with legacy hardware most likely, next upgrade cycle I bet they'll be on laptops. Even old holdouts like graphic designers and CAD are switching to powerful laptops or virtual solutions.

I work for a company with ~500 employees and 100+ million in revenue. We all have had laptops for years. Like Beamer said, it's nice to be able to work from home. I essentially haven't taken a sick day in years and can move those days towards actual vacation.

I'll jump in and call BS on this. I work in an in-house marketing company. I happen to be a graphic designer for said company. Right now, I'm working on an absolute beast of a Apple Power Mac and have a 27 some odd inch monitor as my main, and another monitor on the side. This sucker can run the entire main suite of Adobe products at once and not even blink. I work on large files like billboards and show booths, all the way down to small files for the web.

There is NO, and I mean NO, way I could work on a laptop. I dunno what kind of designers you're dealing with, but 10 bucks says they suck ass. If my company offered me one, it would have to be as a backup computer. Nobody in this entire company uses a laptop as their main, and none would consider it either.

We have two tablets in the office which are pretty much only used for mobile web / email testing. Otherwise, they collect dust.

It sounds like you are mostly making a big deal about the screen size. At my company we get two 24 inch widescreens in addition to our laptop and its docking station. Rarely are people actually using the laptop display and keyboard. As for power, you can get everything you need in a laptop form factor.

My sister was a graphic designer for a major studio and is now working at an iconic guitar manufacturer. Both places she (and I assume many of her coworkers) was using a fully loaded MacBook Pro with additional displays.

edit: Okay I gotta lay on some more because you talking about power is kind of funny. I'm an enterprise developer running and debugging 6 Visual Studio 2012s (each with their own greedy extension like resharper), SQL Management Studio, Chrome with 20+ tabs, Outlook, Communicator, and a whole bunch other services some ours and others 3rd party. The laptop is fully capable.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2014, 12:49.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 21, 2014, 00:01 Sepharo

ViRGE wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 23:52:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 21:41:
The Broadcast Fee already hit here... I guess it's been on a for a few months but I didn't notice until the NFL playoffs hit. They encrypted the network channels that they previously were required by law to provide over the coax, so now my QAM tuner doesn't cut it. I have to get this little DTA or something like that, costs $10 a month... But http://www.Aereo.com is much better and only costs $8 a month, easy choice Comcast, thanks.
I'm not sure why you think it was Comcast's choice. Almost none of the nationals operates as a Must Carry anymore. Comcast has to pay all of them for carriage, just as they do traditional cable networks.

I was actually getting my stuff confused. This Fee is something newer. What I'm talking about is that the cable companies were recently given the go-ahead by the FCC to scramble even the broadcast and public access channels. Previously they weren't allowed to do anything that would impede you from accessing those over coax in your home even without a subscription.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/limited-basic-encryption

They'll even give you a discount if you can prove you're on Medicare

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 21:41 Sepharo

The Broadcast Fee already hit here... I guess it's been on a for a few months but I didn't notice until the NFL playoffs hit. They encrypted the network channels that they previously were required by law to provide over the coax, so now my QAM tuner doesn't cut it. I have to get this little DTA or something like that, costs $10 a month... But http://www.Aereo.com is much better and only costs $8 a month, easy choice Comcast, thanks.  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jan 20, 2014, 21:38 Sepharo

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 20:27:
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

There are two types of gamers:
1) people who play games for the challenge
2) people who play games for what I term "the experience"

Both look for different things from the game. Challenge-oriented gamers tend to place less importance on the production values (graphics, sound, story, characters, pacing); they are more interested in AI, level design, and balance. "Experience"-oriented gamers tend to focus more on the story, environments and how immersive is the game. Neither group are playing the game wrong and - except for the most hardcore - there is usually a good deal of overlap between the two.

But each type of gamer has a tendency towards certain genres. For instance, challenge-focused gamers tend to appreciate multiplayer shooter more; their experience counterparts look at those as being particularly shallow. Meanwhile, immersive roleplaying games tend not to attract hordes of gamers interested in a challenge, since the AI is usually insufficiently difficult and there is too much "pointless" talking and faffing about for their tastes.

Problems appear when developers try to satisfy the needs of both groups simultaneously (or marketing tries to attract the wrong crowd). Then you end up with people complaining that "Brothers A Tale of Two Sons" is not "difficult" enough, or that "Planetside 2" is "shallow and repetitive". But making the puzzles harder in the former or adding an engaging story in the latter would do nothing to improve either game and would probably be detrimental to those game's existing strengths.

Not every game has to suit the needs of every gamer. You want a hard game, there are plenty of games to suit your needs. Other people just want to wander the landscape and enjoy the setting without a continual stream of mechanistic and immersion-breaking gates of boss battles and the like.

I like to play both extremes. My favorite genres are twitch DM FPS and point-and-click adventures. I've also really been digging these "experimental" types games lately like Stanley Parable and Papers Please. Also Antichamber and Don't Starve.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2014, 21:26 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 21:05:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 20:41:
Hoop wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 15:31:
After watching the sound bite after the SeaHawkes game where that dude threw his toys's mouthing off about "don't call me names I'm the best, MotherF&%$"

He didn't swear you're just projecting that on him.

Regardless, he's a trash talking punk. There's being competitive, then there's just being a dick.

They're all out there trash talking, he's just louder about it. As some articles have been pointing out... they did interview him just minutes after he made the game winning, superbowl granting, block on a guy who trash talked him before and during the game. He was hyped up, I'd rather watch that then Manning's boring interview. Having said that though, I am rooting for the Broncos.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2014, 20:41 Sepharo

Hoop wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 15:31:
After watching the sound bite after the SeaHawkes game where that dude threw his toys's mouthing off about "don't call me names I'm the best, MotherF&%$"

He didn't swear you're just projecting that on him.

44. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 13:19 Sepharo

Until then I'll just inform you that welfare fraud is NOT abusing the system legally.

That's why I also included welfare dependency which is what you're probably talking about.

There are obviously degrees to poverty. No I haven't lived in "squalor" but like I said my parents received government assistance and were poor by just about anyone's definition. We weren't homeless, we weren't starving, the neighborhood wasn't so bad... but we were poor and on government assistance.

My grandparents never lived in a ghetto either... But they did live in a shack in the woods, and my grandpa did work in a coal mine as a child and my grandmother left the home at 13 to be a live in nanny for rich people. They got a piece of fruit for Christmas and that was about it.

If I was to live among the poor I doubt my opinion about welfare would change. If I was poor I would still appreciate the assistance and I would still try my hardest to work my way out of it. I would still see that some people weren't trying and that they seemed to be okay with living on welfare and not improving their situation. And I would still understand that that's not everybody... the majority of people don't want to live on welfare. It's silly that that even needs to be said.

41. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 13:05 Sepharo

Parents were doing well roughly 2003-2009.
And by that I simply mean they were paying their bills with money left over for leisure, they weren't "rich". That wasn't the case for my childhood and currently isn't the case for them now.

You of course won't believe this but welfare fraud is estimated at 2.7% (2012) and welfare dependency at 3.8% (2005, probably much higher now but still not a majority).

There's really no hope for you though.
Someone breaks your false narrative and you assume they're probably lying.
You're all about generalizations, and most of them idiotic.
You lump all individuals under your lazy stereotype and disregard that there are honest hardworking people who need government assistance at times in their lives and others who because of their health (like say a quadruple amputee) or other circumstances are destined to be on some form of welfare the rest of their lives.

38. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 19, 2014, 22:36 Sepharo

Axis wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 22:24:
Well then I stand corrected and applaud your folks should you be truthful. Your story is similar to my life except I'd be the parents.

Most successful people work smart, or hard. Most unsuccessful people don't. There are exceptions, but that's black and white unbiased truth.

But look at the way you made assumptions about my life that weren't true. You're doing the same thing about everyone struggling in your rants below. Of course there are people who abuse the system but they are a small percentage. And you make government assistance sound far more glamorous than it is. People voted for Obama for many reasons but I'd have to say expectations of panacea handouts is very low on that list. Your narrative of people expecting a golden lunch on the end of a rainbow... nobody thinks that. Obama's been in office for 5 years, this isn't the election anymore. Your cautionings don't make sense.

36. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 19, 2014, 21:54 Sepharo

Axis wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 21:23:
I lived poor, I know you never did.

Well you're wrong. I did grow up poor. My parents rented a home for the first 9 years of my life. We were on food stamps at times. My mom ran a daycare out of the home sometimes with 10 or so kids just to pay the bills.

But in the late nineties and early 2000s my siblings and I were old enough to watch ourselves after school and my mom was able to go back to work. She and my dad worked their way up through their careers and bought a nice big home. Then the 2009 recession came and they both lost their jobs... they've worked their way back in the past 5 years but still nowhere near where they were in 2008.

As for myself, my parents couldn't afford to give me any money for college. I went through 100% on loans, graduated with 50k loan debt (almost all private). I got a job 1 month out of college (during the height of the recession) and have been working there for the past 5 years making very good money. I can't say I've really had to work hard but I didn't pick up computer programming to get blisters on my hands.

34. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 19, 2014, 20:51 Sepharo

Axis wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 20:33:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 18:09:
Axis wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 17:55:
Redmask wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 12:43:
Axis wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 15:56:
Amazon corp employee is too hot, no AC. What can he do about it?
Teacher govt employee is too hot, no AC. What can he do about it?

"You" are one sided, the example is a crystal clear example of both sides.

According to you both can leave and go work somewhere else, though most people don't look at that as a serious option in this economy was the point. Many people need their job and have no choice so the 'option' of leaving isn't really much of one. At least the government employee has the AFT to lobby on his behalf, whether I like unions or not is a different topic and you should stop making assumptions about others personal politics just to fit your narrative.

Wrong Redmask. Go ask a public school teacher what would happen if they "Quit", I dare you to find out.

But you are correct about one thing - Obama's economy is the worst we've seen in most of our lifetimes, and yet there's still all the blowing air up our asses by the media. Cute isn't it?

I can care less anymore, I've worked my ass off and keep reaping the benefits of that hard work. All you suckers buying into the Obama bullshit will have miserable lives if you keep thinking there's some golden lunch for you at the end of Obama's rainbow. You go down that road to your own demise.

You sound like the miserable one here.

If a teacher quits mid-year they get their teaching license suspended. But if they're planning on quitting teaching altogether I don't think that would matter to them.

Correct about the teachers.

If I sound miserable to you, well I can't help you there.

I've never expected a golden lunch, and wouldn't want one if it was offered to me, I'm no ones slave and don't need others to provide for me when I'm capable. I couldn't be happier with the outcome of hard work from the piddly minimum wage years all the way up.

So many people are spoiled to death and they whine about absolutely nothing. Hard times are coming, and it's the Obama-minded needfulls who will be getting the brunt of the impact.

It just seems like you spend a lot of time in your life ruing "golden lunches" and Obama.

I wouldn't refer to welfare/food stamps/unemployment or whatever you're ranting about as a "golden lunch," it's more like a shit sandwich.

31. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 19, 2014, 18:09 Sepharo

Axis wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 17:55:
Redmask wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 12:43:
Axis wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 15:56:
Amazon corp employee is too hot, no AC. What can he do about it?
Teacher govt employee is too hot, no AC. What can he do about it?

"You" are one sided, the example is a crystal clear example of both sides.

According to you both can leave and go work somewhere else, though most people don't look at that as a serious option in this economy was the point. Many people need their job and have no choice so the 'option' of leaving isn't really much of one. At least the government employee has the AFT to lobby on his behalf, whether I like unions or not is a different topic and you should stop making assumptions about others personal politics just to fit your narrative.

Wrong Redmask. Go ask a public school teacher what would happen if they "Quit", I dare you to find out.

But you are correct about one thing - Obama's economy is the worst we've seen in most of our lifetimes, and yet there's still all the blowing air up our asses by the media. Cute isn't it?

I can care less anymore, I've worked my ass off and keep reaping the benefits of that hard work. All you suckers buying into the Obama bullshit will have miserable lives if you keep thinking there's some golden lunch for you at the end of Obama's rainbow. You go down that road to your own demise.

You sound like the miserable one here.

If a teacher quits mid-year they get their teaching license suspended. But if they're planning on quitting teaching altogether I don't think that would matter to them.

28. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 18, 2014, 14:38 Sepharo

Axis wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 17:29:
Beamer, most large companies still use desktops, even more smaller ones do.

This is really old fashioned. You're dealing with some companies with legacy hardware most likely, next upgrade cycle I bet they'll be on laptops. Even old holdouts like graphic designers and CAD are switching to powerful laptops or virtual solutions.

I work for a company with ~500 employees and 100+ million in revenue. We all have had laptops for years. Like Beamer said, it's nice to be able to work from home. I essentially haven't taken a sick day in years and can move those days towards actual vacation.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jan 18, 2014, 13:08 Sepharo

Julio wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 06:00:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 01:53:
THe Dude killed 30 people. They should have made more of an effort to get him to surrender.

Or just killed him. A lot of people would say the guy was a serial killer given the war was over.

He was pardoned by the president of the Philippines in 1974 when he finally surrendered. In the years before that, two of the other holdouts he was with were killed by locals.

News Comments > Titanfall Alpha Invites Going Out
24. Re: Titanfall Alpha Invites Going Out Jan 18, 2014, 01:03 Sepharo

This whole AI in the cloud thing is absurd.
Smells like Sim City.
But according to some articles I've read it was all Respawn begging EA to do the cloud thing and not vice-versa as I'm sure it was with Maxis.

I honestly hope they pull it off but I'll be waiting to see how the performance is on launch before pulling the trigger on this.

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Ending
14. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 18:21 Sepharo

I don't see the big deal with allowing anything on Steam. Buyer beware. Are you guys really purchasing crap without researching beforehand? Maybe you are, but if that's the case then haven't you already decided that the amount your spending is okay to risk on something you really know nothing about.

Panickd wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 17:49:
Basically what made Steam the "best" of the digital distribution markets (i.e. they actually vetted the stuff they sold) is going to go away.

You thought that what made Steam the "best" was their vetting process? That's awfully strange considering they essentially just allowed any AAA title and then had two guys looking at a massive backlog of indie titles. Greenlight was intended to get games out of that backlog and on to Steam but it was a dumb process. The way that it "worked" they might as well just allow every game on Steam. It's not like Valve won't still be involved in creating the front page of the store and coordinating sales. I have no issues with Android/Gooogle's Play Store... I download mostly very popular apps with high reviews, things that go viral. Sometimes I need to download something that's more off the beaten path, I try to research it but I may end up risking a few dollars. I'm not going to risk $50 on something I know nothing about and can't find information on.

6605 Comments. 331 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo