Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 6605 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
32. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 25, 2014, 00:29 Sepharo

Axis wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 23:39:
I'm not afraid to state my life experiences Seph, and however that translates to your ego is up to you.

I have nothing against your life experiences. Why should I doubt them?

I simply relate mine and get called a liar, whereas you relate yours and put an absolutist spin on them. I readily acknowledge mine as anecdotal evidence, but yours are the absolute truth apparently.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 24, 2014, 23:10 Sepharo

shinchan0s wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 22:57:
Axis wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 21:05:

That's completely false. The vast majority 'live' off-base among the communities they serve. Bases have minor amenities; you get necessities and some recreation. The vast majority live their lives off base unless they are in a war zone.

I don't know a single right-leaning veteran who comes out of the military as a leftist, and I know hundreds - that's complete crap. The opposite of your statement tends to happen. The military is everything most leftists tend to avoid like the plague. And yes, it's authoritative as expected when you sign the dotted line for however many years you want -- and the best life experience you can get paid to do if you can handle it.

Sepharo is half right.

I don't know what bases you've stayed in, but as a former Air Force brat I know Osan Air Base (in South Korea) has more than just the "basic necessities". I mean, hell, they even had a school and hospital. Pretty nice Tennis courts too. The base in Osan was just like the one my Dad worked in at Fort Devens, MA down to the AAFES convenience store. A guy could live pretty comfortably just within the base.

I also think you're over-estimating the extent military people "immerse" themselves in country they're based in. Most guys in Osan only went as far as downtown to buy bootlegs and meet women. I knew a few guys who actually lived in Korean apartments, but the extent of the Korean they knew was hello and goodbye. You might get a few more thoughtful guys out there who learn some of the history and culture, but the vast majority had as much knowledge as a tourist on a week-long trip. They do bring back a lot of cool souvenirs though.

Be prepared to be called a liar. Axis knows better than you.

28. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 24, 2014, 23:08 Sepharo

Axis wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 22:53:
A pitiful few would fit that grossly liberal assumption - you gave yourself away to those who would know better.

Americans don't join the military with arms pumping and war on their minds hoping to go into combat and kill someone or get themselves killed. They join in hopes to have a better life, get a free education, get job skills, get out of a bad situation, travel, etc. And if they are called to defend their country they gladly will with their life.

There's life experiences out there for you guys - leave the forums and go get them.

This seems to be a common theme with me and you. I tell you something from my life and you essentially (or sometimes outright) call me a liar.

25. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 24, 2014, 21:46 Sepharo

Axis wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 21:05:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 19:28:
Axis wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 18:51:
Scheherazade wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 17:37:
Axis wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 17:32:
Scheherazade wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 17:24:
Axis wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 17:09:
So many of you liberals have absolutely no idea what you ask for, cause you have no idea what it's like outside your basement and lofty ideals. Go join the forces, do something for our country, experience the world, and come back wise.

The forces don't go elsewhere and make a living for themselves in a different culture.

Their time is paid for by the government/state. (Government employment : Pretty much the most leftist occupation you can have)
They don't have to experience life in other places.
They live on bases, in a different world than the nation they're located in.

-scheherazade

Spoken like a basement liberal.

Libertarian, actually.
That's right of center, FYI.

-scheherazade

Well then a basement libertarian, but certainly not one who has experienced the military overseas. I am a libertarian who served overseas and I certainly wouldn't have made those comments due to my views and world experience. The military has historically been on the right for many good reasons - most of which they are responsible people doing responsible work and have a profound love for their country they serve. Quite the opposite of much spin you hear from the liberal core... : )

I think his point was more that they live in their own unique "world". That's undeniably true.

My own anecdotal evidence would say that people I went to school with who went to war came back "lefter" than they left. That includes independent or completely disenchanted as well. But many of them went in strongly conservative. Exposure to cultures (good and bad aspects) other than your own tends to do that in my opinion.

If we're speaking metaphorically, the military operates much more like communism (the actual in practice authoritative kind) than other political philosophies. You've got a command structure, people are assigned jobs, and they do those jobs to the best of their ability usually for no reward but to the benefit of the whole.

That's completely false. The vast majority 'live' off-base among the communities they serve. Bases have minor amenities; you get necessities and some recreation. The vast majority live their lives off base unless they are in a war zone.

I don't know a single right-leaning veteran who comes out of the military as a leftist, and I know hundreds - that's complete crap. The opposite of your statement tends to happen. The military is everything most leftists tend to avoid like the plague. And yes, it's authoritative as expected when you sign the dotted line for however many years you want -- and the best life experience you can get paid to do if you can handle it.

Sorry. I thought we were talking about those who had went to war not just anyone in the military or on peaceful overseas bases. But even then I'd say they still somewhat removed from the culture of the area they're in. Sure they're exposed to it and I even touched on that in my reply. But it doesn't make the statement that "they live in their own world" incorrect. War zone or not being foreign military hosted in a country is not like being a citizen of that country.

For young war vets, I know 6 of them and 2 are pretty close friends. Like I said, they came back less "conservative". It's hard to pinpoint because it of course depends on the way we use terms like "left" "right" "conservative" "liberal" "libertarian" whatever. But in my opinion they left with opinions like, "Rah war yeah! Turn it into a glass pit! Republicans yeah!" but returned much more tempered and frequently against what are usually conservative staples. They came back having made friends with the Muslims they were training and questioning why we're there in the first place. It's probably more accurate to say they became independents than "leftists". You said "leftists" I simply said "lefter".

But sorry I'm rambling about anecdotal stuff. You've got some message to rant about, I'll let you get back to it.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2014, 21:52.

21. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 24, 2014, 19:28 Sepharo

Axis wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 18:51:
Scheherazade wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 17:37:
Axis wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 17:32:
Scheherazade wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 17:24:
Axis wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 17:09:
So many of you liberals have absolutely no idea what you ask for, cause you have no idea what it's like outside your basement and lofty ideals. Go join the forces, do something for our country, experience the world, and come back wise.

The forces don't go elsewhere and make a living for themselves in a different culture.

Their time is paid for by the government/state. (Government employment : Pretty much the most leftist occupation you can have)
They don't have to experience life in other places.
They live on bases, in a different world than the nation they're located in.

-scheherazade

Spoken like a basement liberal.

Libertarian, actually.
That's right of center, FYI.

-scheherazade

Well then a basement libertarian, but certainly not one who has experienced the military overseas. I am a libertarian who served overseas and I certainly wouldn't have made those comments due to my views and world experience. The military has historically been on the right for many good reasons - most of which they are responsible people doing responsible work and have a profound love for their country they serve. Quite the opposite of much spin you hear from the liberal core... : )

I think his point was more that they live in their own unique "world". That's undeniably true.

My own anecdotal evidence would say that people I went to school with who went to war came back "lefter" than they left. That includes independent or completely disenchanted as well. But many of them went in strongly conservative. Exposure to cultures (good and bad aspects) other than your own tends to do that in my opinion.

If we're speaking metaphorically, the military operates much more like communism (the actual in practice authoritative kind) than other political philosophies. You've got a command structure, people are assigned jobs, and they do those jobs to the best of their ability usually for no reward but to the benefit of the whole.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2014, 13:06 Sepharo

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 11:49:
with additional fees for high traffic websites like Amazon.

That wouldn't be net neutrality then.

News Comments > Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights
55. Re: Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights Feb 24, 2014, 12:30 Sepharo

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 09:00:
What's in a Name: Gearbox Software

Hah, I had never heard this one.
What a crazy fucker.

News Comments > Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights
34. Re: Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights Feb 23, 2014, 17:14 Sepharo

Two very scuzzy developers duking it out.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2014, 16:52 Sepharo

I'm going to make a list of things I need to do and then I'm going to sit at my computer browsing the web and playing the occasional game. Maybe even bust out the work laptop, remote in, and then alt-tab back to the gaming desktop.  

News Comments > Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded
27. Re: Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded Feb 22, 2014, 16:49 Sepharo

Do not engage "* is not a game" trolls.  

News Comments > Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims
84. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 21, 2014, 01:54 Sepharo

I don't think I'm going to read through all these posts, but in case anyone was wondering... I really enjoyed the two days I played this during beta. Didn't encounter any issues beyond the usual "how the fuck did I not kill him!" but that's common to any FPS. I really like the mix of titans, players, and AI, and didn't feel at all like 12 players was too little despite thinking I would upon the initial announcement. The chaos is just at the right level for me and I have tons of fun rodeo riding titans and playing RPG-meister from the rooftops. Netcode was very solid for me, gunplay was so-so but definitely not a negative like I often find the BF series to be.

I'll definitely be picking this up.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Feb 19, 2014, 20:59 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 20:38:
I met Don Henley back in the day on the Dirty Laundry tour. That's still a fantastic song.

Thanks, now it's stuck in my head again. Just when I thought I was free.

That damn organ is so damn catchy.

News Comments > Titanfall Beta Closed
45. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 7, 2014, 22:37 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 10:14:
Microsoft is going as far rolling out a system update that will preload a bunch of assets for it even because they don't want people spending a year with their dumb installation/patch process.

I really really doubt that Microsoft is preloading assets... More likely just a run of the mill system update required for some features in the game. Same reason my offline PS3 needs to install a system update seemingly everytime I play a new game.

News Comments > Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS
37. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 22:41 Sepharo

I've been using the same DVD drive on my last 4+ builds. Last two builds it was only used for the Windows disc. I bet it's still in there.  

News Comments > Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway
11. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 11:57 Sepharo

nin wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 11:22:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 11:20:
Maybe cause I am just getting up - but how is that sticking it to UPlay? Lots of games don't use it.

Publisher is now UBI.

Yeah Ubisoft saying, "Our own service is so shitty that we don't want to ruin our potentially hit game with it."

Ubisoft has a long history of that though (changing mind on DRM). At least they aren't too stubborn about it.

News Comments > Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS
11. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 22:58 Sepharo

One of our QA folks at work was having problems with one of our latest builds. Turns out she had Win 8 32bit... "They make that?!"  

PC Gaming > 4K monitors
2. Re: 4K monitors Feb 4, 2014, 02:30 Sepharo

Ratty wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 10:51:
I'm thinking about 4K monitors. When I got my latest PC I saved the monitor from my last PC but now I'm thinking of getting a new one. For some of the photographic work I do I could really benefit a lot from a 4K monitor, but I don't want it to impact my gaming. I'm not ready to invest in multiple graphics cards yet so I know I'm not going to be playing the latest games in 4K. Here's my question: since the vertical and horizontal resolutions are exactly twice standard HD, can I play games at 1920x1080 on a 4K and get the same quality as I get with my current standard HD monitor? Anyone have a 4K? Any gotchas I haven't thought about? Is it best to wait another year or so?

A friend of mine just got a 4K TV and his 1080 games looked great. I'd say they looked better than a 1080 monitor but I know that technically that doesn't make sense.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2014, 01:28 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 18:28:
Made some awesome bacon wrapped chicken cordon blue breasts last night with taters and carrots. Also yesterday made an awesome fall apart roast with carrots, garlic, snp, beer, brown sugar, and some other stuff. Removed the carrots and meat, then let the beef stock sit overnight so I could remove excess fat (wasn't enough to remove) then made a beef stock veggie soup today. Man. I love cold winter cooking.

Tonight dinner is left over pork n kraut with a bit of veggie soup and jalapeno corn bread.

Stay at home daddy day care = lots of cooking.

This is making me so damn hungry right now.

News Comments > Leaked Source 2 Screenshot?
21. Re: Leaked Source 2 Screenshot? Jan 28, 2014, 09:07 Sepharo

Quboid wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 08:23:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 01:26:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 00:12:
Frijoles wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 22:08:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 19:56:
Update to Source engine is way overdue.

Haven't they been continually updating it over the years, adding new bits of technology to it? Get rid of the damn loading screens and I'll be happy with it.

The last major upgrade that I can think of was the "Lost Coast" level for HL2.

Is this sarcasm?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_engine#Modularity_and_notable_upgrades

That pretty much backs up what DangerDog said, no? That only lists soft particles and hardware facial animations as new features, neither as big as HDR in my opinion. The other stuff, platform support, has nothing to do with how modern the engine is.

I just found it funny that you picked essentially the first update of hundreds and called it the last major one (it wasn't even on that list). I'd say the last major one was for Portal 2, that was the last one they were calling "Source 2".

News Comments > Titanfall Beta Next Month?
30. Re: Titanfall Beta Next Month? Jan 28, 2014, 02:31 Sepharo

I must be a super human because I play games with a variety of default FOVs and don't really even notice.  

6605 Comments. 331 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo