Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 6627 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

PC Gaming > Post your FPS config - old school
20. No subject Sep 19, 2014, 21:56 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 17:29:
RMB - Jump
HAHAH WTF!?

I remember there used to be a lot of guys using RMB or MWheel for jump.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
134. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 19, 2014, 21:51 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 20:50:
Prez wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 15:50:
I get all that, I really do. I guess it's just the number itself - 2.5 BILLION dollars - that just seems surreally absurd to me for a digital boxy sandbox toy. If the brand has legs it may prove to be a sound investment but if it is a fad soon to be on the wane (as I suspect), MS may be screwed.

I don't think it's a fad. Every time I step away from MC, I come back 6 or 12 months later and get hooked all over again. My kids play constantly, and it's fun to play with them. Like Tetris, MC is a timeless design that has the potential to hook successive generations. That, and the worldwide name recognition is what MS paid $2.5B for.

Well Cutter said it's a fad and he's never wrong. It's a fad that's been wildly popular across all demographics for 4 years straight and was just bought for $2.5 billion.

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
74. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 15:18 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 12:11:
Flatline wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 11:29:
Beamer wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 11:03:
Interesting, what Notch is basically saying is that, when the Minecraft EULA thing came out, people were dicks to him. Then he watched the Phil Fish video and saw how much they love being dicks to Phil Fish (who is, himself, a dick.)

So he sold his studio.

I get it, it's fair. Minecraft became bigger than Notch, and with that happening, it made Notch bigger than Notch feels Notch is. But getting $2.5 billion dollars won't change that. If Microsoft fucks things up, Notch will be blamed. If Notch makes some small shitty game he enjoys making but few enjoy playing (because it's the kind of small, shitty game he enjoyed making), people will call him an idiot on Twitter. That spotlight is on him for an extremely long time.

If Notch is the majority shareholder I guess he got close to a billion dollars from the deal.

With that kind of money he could completely change his identity, buy a private staffed island, run fiber out to it from wherever, and still have like half a billion dollars left over to live on while he just... did stuff.

I think he'll survive if MS fucks this one up.

More accurate - he can now fund Psychonauts 2 without worrying.

Oh shit yeah! Forgot about that. Hope he's on the phone with Tim right now.

General Discussion > NFL Week One
9. Re: NFL Week One Sep 10, 2014, 03:11 Sepharo

Blue wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 08:46:
And while they probably would have lost anyway, the interception call against Eli where the ball rolled on the ground still makes me mad.

You mean this one?
Watch the slow motion at 1:25... Ball doesn't touch the ground.
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11492041

News Comments > Op Ed
336. Re: Op Ed Sep 10, 2014, 01:19 Sepharo

Guys, this topic only needed 17 (now 16) more comments to be in the top 10 most commented.  

News Comments > PopCap Founder Pops Out
32. Re: PopCap Founder Pops Out Sep 7, 2014, 07:39 Sepharo

Yeah treating individuals individually is what brainwashed people do.
Those who he can see through the propaganda knowingly stereotype billions based on the actions of a minority.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 7, 2014, 04:18 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 03:28:
Cutter wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 19:01:
Diaper grown mushrooms? Oh hell no! Oh man, I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

I got news for you. All vegetables and grains are grown in some kind of shit. When animals are slaughtered they get covered in shit that spews from their guts. Most food has traces of crap on it. That's why we keep getting cases of e coli poisoning from improperly washed fresh veggies and improperly cooked meet. So unless you're slaughtering your own animals and growing your own veggies, buyer beware.

Well the article makes it clear that they don't use shitty diapers and that it's the cellulose in the diaper they're after.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 7, 2014, 01:21 Sepharo

Quboid wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 22:48:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 15:08:
Seems like a really bad idea to make a change like that.

They needed to update their rendering system because it was tied to physical pixels and assumed a ~92 PPI display, which is finally no longer so prevalent on PCs. This will have involved some pretty major rewrites of the rendering engine's Windows-specific code.

For example, with a fairly high PPI display, you might set Windows to use 150% scaling. In an old program a font 20 pixel high would be rendered by old Windows code at 20 pixels high, and then Windows would upscale it to a 30 pixel high image - inevitably making it blurry. A newer program will call Windows to render the font at 20 pixels and Windows will then seamlessly(-ish) render a crisp 30 pixel high character in the first place.

I presume the visible changes are an unintended side effect and I can't see any reason why added blurriness is anything but a bug. Most text is fine for me but the font in this text area is harder to read

Yeah nothing blurry for me. Just a smaller/shorter bolder/blockier font for me. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

21. Re: PopCap Founder Pops Out Sep 6, 2014, 19:22 Sepharo

What the hell is going on in this thread?  

16. Re: PopCap Founder Pops Out Sep 6, 2014, 17:55 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 17:51:
[EA is] consistently rated as one of the best places to work for.

What? Maybe I'm just stuck in the past but they had like blogs, support groups, and lawsuits about how bad it was.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2014, 15:15 Sepharo

It's weird because the bloggers seem to be simultaneously defining gamers as "angry virgin nerds in the basement" and then dismantling that definition and saying "gamers" are dead.

Gamers don't see themselves that way, they know they're diverse. Yet the "journalists" rage against gamers as if they're mostly composed of these vile examples. Then they write articles about how the stereotype is dead, etc. ... It's their stereotype!

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2014, 15:08 Sepharo

Blue wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 12:15:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 21:22:
Ah even Bluesnews got hit with this weird font stuff from Chrome.
Turn off your auto update if you don't want font weirdness on like 50% of sites right now.

Linked to an article on this recently:

The latest version (37) of Google Chrome uses DirectWrite for font rendering on Windows PCs. DirectWrite is a DirectX API made for the purpose of high-quality, resolution-independent text rendering. On paper it sounds great, but some people might not like the new fonts appearance (blurry text on some websites). Here we'll show you how to disable DirectWrite.

1. Navigate to "chrome://flags" using the address bar.
2. Locate "Disable DirectWrite" and press on the "Enable" button just beneath it.
3. Close and relaunch Google Chrome.

Ahh thanks. For me it's not blurry though, if anything it's more distinct. It appears to nearly be a different font. Different size, spacing, and width. Seems like a really bad idea to make a change like that.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2014, 21:22 Sepharo

Ah even Bluesnews got hit with this weird font stuff from Chrome.
Turn off your auto update if you don't want font weirdness on like 50% of sites right now.

News Comments > Op Ed
277. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 23:35 Sepharo

JohnnyRotten wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 17:34:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 30, 2014, 04:01:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 30, 2014, 03:50:
JohnnyRotten wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 20:45:
He's not a lawyer. He's claimed to be about a dozen things to position himself as the subject matter expert de facto on everything until I called him out on it years ago on the old forum. Then he just stuck with his last lie.

That's all you need to know about his credibility on any subject.

Links, or you're just blowing gas your your ass.

Hah yeah, "old forum" like the one from 15 years ago? I don't think Beamer's been around that long.

Don't remember when the last forum upgrade happened, again that's a Blue question.

You don't really need Blue to figure that out. All the comments and forum posts are available all the way back to June 2001

Beamer registered in 2003. So unless you're referring to some alias we don't know of you'll have his entire history. Comments are searchable by poster and forum wide.

News Comments > Op Ed
161. Re: Op Ed Aug 30, 2014, 04:01 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Aug 30, 2014, 03:50:
JohnnyRotten wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 20:45:
He's not a lawyer. He's claimed to be about a dozen things to position himself as the subject matter expert de facto on everything until I called him out on it years ago on the old forum. Then he just stuck with his last lie.

That's all you need to know about his credibility on any subject.

Links, or you're just blowing gas your your ass.

Hah yeah, "old forum" like the one from 15 years ago? I don't think Beamer's been around that long.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Aug 27, 2014, 23:42 Sepharo

It just shows how fucked the internet and by extension people are.
And it's why I don't think Sarkeesian and Quinn receive the abuse they do because they are women. Sure the abuse often is of a sexist nature but a bomb/death threat on Smedley, Bleszinski, or Eric Bauman is the same as one on Sarkeesian.

The majority of people aren't doing this, a relatively small minority are sending abuse, and a tiny amount are doing really vile shit like harassing phone calls, swatting, and death threats.

News Comments > EA's $1B DLC Goal
43. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 23:07 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 20:11:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 18:50:
Beamer wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 17:08:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 16:59:
Ran the numbers that would mean 25 million people (does it even sell that many copies) would have to spend $40 each to hit a billion.

Went to check it sells around 5 million, so I'll be nice and say 7.5 million. Now assuming everyone bought DLC for Madden which we know doesn't happen that would then mean each person would have to spend $133 each on top of the game itself to hit a million. Figure 1/4 of the people buy DLC that would mean on avg they would have to spend an additional $525 each.

Yeah this all makes sense.

Reread the blurb - they have a $1B goal, and expect Madden to contribute. That doesn't mean they expect Madden to be 100% of it. I'm sure they know damn well that FIFA will be what pulls the bulk of the sport DLC.

LOL, thanks I knew that when I read it yesterday, just going back around and forgot and ran #'s based on 1 billion / total sales. Thanks for correcting.

Don't worry, when I first read your post I shook my head and went "how can they be that stupid?"
It took me a few seconds to remember it isn't what they said.

We should rag on Blue for that sentence

"A story on Bloomberg about the stadiums full of money EA expects to earn from the new Madden game describes the publisher's lofty general goals for add-on content, saying they hope to reach the one billion dollar mark in DLC sales this year."

A single word in the middle of the long sentence changes the entire meaning.

Compare with the article:
"Revenue from extra content for all its games may reach a record $1 billion this year, according to the company."

Don't hate me Blue

News Comments > Into the Black
16. Re: Into the Black Aug 27, 2014, 22:55 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 17:54:
PHJF wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 09:28:
Hey I'm having Lasik tomorrow, where's my outpouring of support??? I'm going to have to use eye drops for months! MONTHS!

So you're getting Lasik just for the Oculus? Or was that someone else I was reading?

That was me, but maybe somebody else too

I think I'm 2 years in... I dunno, years are flyin by.

edit: Hmm, a search shows I've never said that here but that and 3D movies were a part of it. Hate contacts (tried them twice in life) and glasses were starting to get in the way. According to a search of the forum, I had the surgery June 2012.

News Comments > Op Ed
64. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2014, 23:16 Sepharo

Jensen wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 20:34:
The video compares the hatred Anita Sarkeesian gets to the hatred Jack Thompson got to basically say "see, it's nothing about her gender, it's just the content."
I'm sorry, but I must have missed the part where Anita tried to sue people and change laws. I also missed the part where she linked specific crimes to video games.

I gave up trying to find the part you're referencing but I would assume that he means the hatred is because gaming is being attacked, not because she's a woman. Had a male made the same videos she did (and the same level of publicity) he would most likely also get hatred from gamers. I doubt he was saying their actions are equivalent because that wouldn't make sense... like you said, suing people and changing laws isn't the same as youtube videos about sexism in mario.

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
138. Re: Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming Aug 26, 2014, 12:29 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 12:20:
If we're going to repeatedly use the term "real feminists," can we get a definition, ASeven?

You should read the article if you haven't yet.

6627 Comments. 332 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo