Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 7165 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam in Stores
17. Re: Steam in Stores Oct 5, 2015, 18:39 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 16:01:
How about getting some actual fucking customer service and a refund policy that actually works. Zero excuses for a company that makes the money they do to be so bad. This is why I don't object to other companies having their own digital distribution systems. The more the merrier. It's the only thing that will ever force Valve to start acting like a real company.

What's the problem with the new(ish) refund policy?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit
152. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 18:28 Sepharo

Eirikrautha wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 16:55:
Please...

Chris Roberts will be positively giddy at this. At this point, there is no endgame for him. Like any other ponzi scheme, funding yesterday with today's money, Chris Roberts has no way to bail on SC without accepting the blame. When the musical chairs money runs out, CR will be left without a chair to sit in. He'd be totally at fault.

Now, he'll get to blame the time and expense of the lawyers, etc., to weasel out of the blame for SC's crash. "See, SC would have been awesome, but {insert grumbling here}..."

Heck, this is the biggest favor that Derek Smart could have done Chris Roberts. I'm beginning to think that there is collusion between the two, because this is so perfect for CR to dodge the fallout from SC...

Kind of reminds me of the HL2 hack... "Welp we gotta delay the game at least a whole year to recover from this hack."

News Comments > No Man's Sky on Late Show
46. Re: No Man's Sky on Late Show Oct 5, 2015, 08:59 Sepharo

DangerDog wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 06:03:
Yeah, they haven't shown any space combat but I expect it to be extremely casual, doubt you have to manage ship shield power vs weapons and engine power for example.

https://youtu.be/v5sBbjckyzU?t=29

It does appear to be very basic, but they have shown it.

42. Re: No Man's Sky on Late Show Oct 5, 2015, 03:28 Sepharo

InBlack wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 03:04:
So basically we have Elite without the space combat, and without the space trucking, just exploration. Oh but with n-iterations of the same lizzards, ducks, goats, tigers and fish on different planets.

Elite has frequently been described as "empty", despite there being apparently quite a lot to do. I wonder how long before the novelty of exploring in No Man's Sky wears off, when people realize that procedurally generated content is basically the same thing over and over again, in a slightly different skin.

It does have space combat though.

30. Re: No Man's Sky on Late Show Oct 4, 2015, 19:36 Sepharo

ShadyPete wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 19:35:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 17:17:
Gotta agree here, where is the beef? This seems like a prettier SPORE disaster to be honest. Except they shoot even higher.

Will Wright was on the Colbert Report once....

They were probably like, Stephen we know you're a big Wright fan... but you absolutely cannot mention Spore during the interview.

25. Re: No Man's Sky on Late Show Oct 4, 2015, 18:37 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 18:34:
Jinoru wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 18:17:
Visually its looking far more polished now.

I'm not really understanding what people here are meaning by "meat."
What's the meat of Mario? The gameplay itself right? Are you expecting some RPG levels of interaction? Expecting some kind of guided narrative? What "meat" do you want?

So far, all we've seen is infinite Mario levels but no coins, mushrooms, koopas, Bowser, or Princess Peach. That's the equivalent to what we've seen so far of NMS.

There are lots of videos of this game discussing the currency and resources, including a brief mention in this one, so your analogy is a little off. Not to say that I don't also think this will probably get boring quick, maybe even more so than Spore.

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2015, 18:46.

24. Re: No Man's Sky on Late Show Oct 4, 2015, 18:35 Sepharo

Interesting interview. Colbert is a lot smarter than this guy was expecting I think. In fact he flubbed a response to one of Stephen's questions that I also wanted to know more about... what's the storage situation? These things may initially be procedurally generated but once they are discovered and named they should remain static right? So everything that's ever been discovered has to be stored. I know Spore showed that this could be done with a teeny-tiny amount of bytes that make up the limited DNA of each creature and planet... but still if the game is a huge hit and there are millions playing and discovering hundreds of millions of things over many years it has to be stored and served up from somewhere. It still probably ends up being negligible but it was a good question on Colbert's part.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2015, 01:00 Sepharo

SlimRam wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 00:57:
Prez wrote on Oct 3, 2015, 23:36:
Hey all. Just checking in to let everyone know I'm still breathing.
Was wondering where you had been. Also, where the HELL is Batman?

He's undercover.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2015, 00:47 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Oct 3, 2015, 23:36:
Hey all. Just checking in to let everyone know I'm still breathing.

Hah just noticed the other day that you hadn't posted since May but then I saw you on Steam. Good to know you're still alive.

41. Re: Why It Was Easier to Be Skinny in the 1980s. Oct 3, 2015, 01:59 Sepharo

Krovven wrote on Oct 3, 2015, 01:34:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 3, 2015, 01:30:
Krovven wrote on Oct 3, 2015, 01:28:
It was just really poorly marketed especially being a series that their target audience likely had never even heard of.

I find that hard to believe. I've been tripping over internet/TV references to the book left and right for the past year now with increasing frequency.

This was in 2012. That book series started in 1912 and the John Carter book was 1964 and to my knowledge the property laid dormant until 2012.

Damn you, I deleted it long before this reply

39. Re: Why It Was Easier to Be Skinny in the 1980s. Oct 3, 2015, 01:30 Sepharo

edit: Deleted
Derp mixed up which post was being replied to.

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
148. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 3, 2015, 01:28 Sepharo

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 22:32:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 12:25:

Now you're just being stupid.

THERE IS EVIDENCE. I'm not going to spend the next 45 minutes aggregating it all together. Go research this shit on your own or go visit Derek's blogs.

If there was anybody that had 45 minutes to back up their point of view it should be you. Some of your post's had to have taken 30 minutes to write. You have the time.

I am beginning to think you have not done any research and just rely solely on Derek's blogs. Because if you had done even 20 minutes of googling you would have nada. The snake is eating it's own tale.

You should at least make a note that you snipped something mid sentence. As it stands I wasn't sure what existing or lack of evidence was being discussed. Makes it seems like you're just discussing SC in general and not a specific claim as the original post made.

37. Re: Why It Was Easier to Be Skinny in the 1980s. Oct 3, 2015, 01:24 Sepharo

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 16:11:
Heh, I actually really liked John Carter, Lost in Space, and THe Lone Ranger. I wish they would make sequels to those. Terminator I had no desire to see. The best Terminator stuff to come out since 2 was the canceled TV show, and even that wasn't completely great. I've given up on Aliens as well. (Although I have hope for Blompkamp, Blokamp...however you spell it.)

I thought I was the only person on earth who liked John Carter.
I really want more of it. I have a soft spot for universe building and fish-out-of-water stories.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2015, 01:21 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 23:00:
Sooooo, has anyone seen The Martian?

It better have a scene of Matt Damon trying to pet and befriend a Martian alien that looks like a cobra. Because we know these things happen in hard sci fi movies, according to Ridley Scott.

I saw it tonight.
It was really good. More laughs than I was expecting. I liked the science better than Europa Report.
Great casting too. Only knew of Damon going in but the other characters are also great.

News Comments > Microsoft Acquires Havoc
6. Re: Microsoft Acquires Havoc Oct 2, 2015, 20:38 Sepharo

RaZ0r! wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 19:55:
Candy Crush Saga and Minecraft with Havoc....YES!!!!

Microsoft bought King?

edit: Nope.

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
134. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 2, 2015, 16:58 Sepharo

BobBob wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 14:49:
But seriously, I've never seen an organization's leader take a step back and give out a list of credits to the people behind scenes, even so much as putting them on the stage - such as the programmers, engineers, designers, etc - or whoever is involved in a given department. Would be a nice change in corporate culture.

My company regularly does this. The customers give the credit to the sales people, the installers, the trainers... but then they (pretty much because they're required to) remind and pass the credit to the development team. The product is the code, the developers write the code, we make the thing that enables everyone else to get paid. We also have a yearly customer conference which is one of the few times that the developers and customers are together and that's always a positive experience. Customers love talking directly to developers and they're always appreciative.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
13. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 1, 2015, 06:59 Sepharo

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 05:56:
Slashman wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 00:03:
Slick wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 23:42:
the real question here is:

"what's the last disc-based game you've bought?"

The answer is: "I can't frakkin' remember!!!"

I can.... Deponia That was early 2012 and the only reason was that it was literally not available anywhere else.

I'm not positive but I think it was Age of Conan.

News Comments > Star Citizen Departures?
145. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Oct 1, 2015, 04:27 Sepharo

feral.fury wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 03:23:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 22:10:
It wasn't just the numbers but the undertaking of the "holy grail" of space games. A persistent universe with both space and land. You can either do it algorithmically and risk things being bland or repetitive or you can do it by hand... which is the insane way.

It's not the holy grail. Not by my definition. My definition of a holy grail space sim is one with seamless entry into atmosphere, 100+ fully explorable planets with bases, cities or colonies, 100+ fully open unqiue space stations and mixed in with a bunch of procedural generation...basically ED + SC + NMS + Eve.

Wait, what's your point here? How is that not what I said just with more fleshed out detail?
We're talking about an older write-up from dsmart that describes what we both described.

Do you think what you described is possible with 10 million? 100 million? 200 million? How many years, how many employees? Here's a hint SC, doesn't have enough to even do what it intends, and judging by your acronym math you don't even consider it the most ambitious undertaking.

News Comments > Star Citizen's $900 Ship
134. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 22:39 Sepharo

loomy wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 22:32:
I can't tell jealousy apart from anti-capitalism here. is anyone actually concerned about the welfare of the people buying this ship? I feel like the people with such disposable income must be okay, so I'm personally not worried

If you think the discussion has been about any of the things you mentioned in this post then you haven't been paying attention.

News Comments > Star Citizen Departures?
143. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 22:10 Sepharo

feral.fury wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 20:56:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 19:53:
Murder She Wrote wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 18:35:
Krovven wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 15:56:
Derek Smart has no business going on this vendetta of his to bring CIG and everyone inside of it down. It's a direct conflict of interest, has gone way beyond the point of obsession and he's attacking individuals inside of the company directly damaging many of those peoples lives over this witch hunt of his. This personal conflict shit happens every day in companies and CIG is not special in that regard. In this case, it's an outside individual stirring the pot that arguably has something to gain from the failure of Star Citizen (that's a whole other topic). It's none of his business and at the very least he should have ended his crusade when they refunded his donation.

Not to mention its especially amusing considering his long and storied history of buggy, unfinished games. Not an iota of introspection.

I haven't read all of his walls of text but I remember the first one was definitely introspective. He discussed how he knew it would be so hard to do "the holy grail" of space games because he had tried many times before to varying degrees of success. I'm not going back to it, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't written like, "BUT I DID IT!" he has definitely acknowledged his own buggy games.

A guy who spends no more than $10 million on a game budget, has 20-30 contractors and maybe half a dozen in-house employees says Star Citizen is impossible. That I can believe. Now if I was in Derek's shoes, I would think all games are impossible. He keeps saying he's been there, done that but has he truly been there, $90+ million game budget, and done that, 200 in house employees and ~150 contractors. No.

My numbers are probably wrong but close, but my point is, you can't judge success when you yourself can't achieve it.

It wasn't just the numbers but the undertaking of the "holy grail" of space games. A persistent universe with both space and land. You can either do it algorithmically and risk things being bland or repetitive or you can do it by hand... which is the insane way.

7165 Comments. 359 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo