Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 6899 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The International Ticket Sales
12. Re: The International Ticket Sales Mar 21, 2015, 16:16 Sepharo

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 21, 2015, 09:01:
Oh and don't give me that nonsense about other sports, 99% of us can't do them, anyone can play a video game and become fairly proficient at it.

Proficient is not the same as professional.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
131. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 21, 2015, 04:02 Sepharo

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 21, 2015, 03:38:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 21, 2015, 01:12:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 22:22:
Baristan wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 16:39:
I decided to unlock the "Business Park" requiring 20k commercial squares. Had a city of 70K and 16,250/20,000 and thought it would be easy. At 100k pop I only had 16,540... commercial demand is odd. It started to grow a bit again at 105k, and at 119,980 pop I finally managed to reach the 20k commercial needed.

Next unique building, the "Observatory", required 1,000 vacant buildings. Figured if I turned off all the power it wouldn't take long. The pop raised to 125k before any one left. Then every one left at once. 125,000 to less than 200 in no time at all.

Watch out putting too many water pumps on a river. You can end up reversing the flow, sucking sewage into the drinking supply.

Which is why I put all my sewage in a lake (Aptly named Sewer Lake ,p) I have 12 water pumps and they reversed the flow of the river so much that a piece of dirty water from WAY at the beginning of me playing this city is now caught in a coastal area.

http://imgur.com/mX0CE4I

This is a 97k city, and Hadron Collider brought me 56% unemployment ~.~ Still trying to fix that, (The circular thing near the top is a office/commercial enclave worth 10k workplaces)

Nice city man. Our layouts are very similar, except yours is far neater and nicer to look. Though they appear roughly the same size you have 47k more than me at just 50k. Where are you hiding all those people?

Every single house in housing zones is level 5 (really, not 1 house not level 5 ,p) but aside that I have honestly no idea. After I built the Hadron collider my population exploded, and it was then I noticed my folley, sure 96k is nice, until you have to employ them. Because after I saw that I suddenly had 80000 ! people as workforce and only HALF of that employed I knew I had a problem. If you population doesn't grow it's because households don't fill up, so I had parks everywhere pre-patch and that's where all those people suddenly came from. After patch my population went up substantially

So your guess is as good as mine. If you have similar size of city then likely you have households not filled to the max. Did you meet ALL their needs? Schools of all 3 types close by, mass transit (subways) proper police/health/fire HQ ? Graveyard cematoriums etc.

My monthly costs are around 235k (income 272K) So I had a lot of wasteful spending to really get every household to level 5 and super happy. Housing happiness is 97% (commercial is 70%...)

I think that is linked to how many people move in per house. That, and foot-paths over the highways, everywhere where it's needed. And inter-connected parts of the city all connected via foot paths...

Yeah everything is maxed high density res except for the small patch of original starting point city. Usually the buildings are missing 2-3 people but that ebbs and flows with the die-off / baby-boom cycle.

I had 80% college education with 45k at one point. For all you guys losing industry due to not having uneducated folks... if the need for jobs is strong enough the college grads will still work in the factories. It gets repetitive but I found that I need to actively prune the abandoned buildings in the industry areas (farming is usually first to go) to make sure the whole area doesn't collapse. But as long as you keep expanding your residential you'll have a steady flow of uneducated to run the industry. I rarely zone new industry just mostly office buildings.

News Comments > The International Ticket Sales
8. Re: The International Ticket Sales Mar 21, 2015, 01:24 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 22:57:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 20:57:
People pay to watch these people play games? Talk about a bunch of people with no life whatsoever.....kind of sad when you think of it.

It's zero different from any other passive activity. Watching TV, Sports, etc., same shit, different pile. In the end nothing matters so you could argue it's all ultimately futile so what difference does any of it make? Whatever floats your boat, man. Enjoy it while you can.

/me succumbs to a major heart attack.

129. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 21, 2015, 01:12 Sepharo

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 22:22:
Baristan wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 16:39:
I decided to unlock the "Business Park" requiring 20k commercial squares. Had a city of 70K and 16,250/20,000 and thought it would be easy. At 100k pop I only had 16,540... commercial demand is odd. It started to grow a bit again at 105k, and at 119,980 pop I finally managed to reach the 20k commercial needed.

Next unique building, the "Observatory", required 1,000 vacant buildings. Figured if I turned off all the power it wouldn't take long. The pop raised to 125k before any one left. Then every one left at once. 125,000 to less than 200 in no time at all.

Watch out putting too many water pumps on a river. You can end up reversing the flow, sucking sewage into the drinking supply.

Which is why I put all my sewage in a lake (Aptly named Sewer Lake ,p) I have 12 water pumps and they reversed the flow of the river so much that a piece of dirty water from WAY at the beginning of me playing this city is now caught in a coastal area.

http://imgur.com/mX0CE4I

This is a 97k city, and Hadron Collider brought me 56% unemployment ~.~ Still trying to fix that, (The circular thing near the top is a office/commercial enclave worth 10k workplaces)

Nice city man. Our layouts are very similar, except yours is far neater and nicer to look. Though they appear roughly the same size you have 47k more than me at just 50k. Where are you hiding all those people?

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Mar 20, 2015, 18:44 Sepharo

Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 13:38:
discovered that puzzles and story can indeed be magically mixed in a way to provide both kinds of pleasure

True, to a point. When the puzzles make sense and flow logically from the story, they are fun.

When they are the absolutely retarded kind, (like you sometimes find in Grim Fandango for example) that are devoid of most logic, they tend to be very annoying.

It didn't mar the experience in GF too much, but it was very irritating to want to see how the story continues and yet being stuck because you can't figure out that you need to put glue on a fucking door and have a dog run past it so its hair sticks to the glue so that you can make a fake mustache out of it... (No idea whether that one was actually in GF or not, I just remembered that particular puzzle just this moment.)

It's a very delicate balancing act, and there were times when even Lucasarts got it terribly, terribly wrong.

That puzzle sounds really similar to one I was stuck on for a while in Day of The Tentacle. You had to put white-out (Boo-B-Gone) on a hole in the fence, use a mouse toy to coax a cat through the hole, to give the cat a white stripe on its back, so you could use it as skunk and clear a room.

But I loved that. The weirder the better in my opinion. I'm clicking everything with everything anyway for the dialog reactions.

News Comments > More LucasArts Games on GOG.com
19. Re: More LucasArts Games on GOG.com Mar 20, 2015, 09:47 Sepharo

harlock wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 09:40:
InBlack wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 03:43:
Lets hope a rejuvinated Lucasarts starts pumping out proper games now that they have a new owner. Meh, I know it wont happen but a man can hope...

I could see someone doing modern SCUMM games, but it wont be Lucasarts

His name is Ron Gilbert. He worked on Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island, also he was the other guy who originally seemed connected to the Broken Age Kickstarter only to appear in the first documentary episode and be like, "Well Tim I think this is a dumb idea and you're on your own." Only to years later change his mind and go even more classic SCUMM than Broken Age did.

Thimbleweed Park kickstarer
Thimbleweed Park blog

General Discussion > Bluesnews on Wikipedia
6. No subject Mar 20, 2015, 02:03 Sepharo

It's absurd.
The LAN party I grew up with has it's own Wikipedia page for years and yet we can't have a Blue's News one.

Never even thought to look this up before... and I look everything up!

News Comments > Dying Light Killing It
18. Re: Dying Light Killing It Mar 19, 2015, 20:55 Sepharo

One of the interesting things about Dead Island was the analog weapon swinging. I heard that Dying Light doesn't have that. Can anyone that has played both give an opinion on that?  

News Comments > Newell on Half-Life
71. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 22:53 Sepharo

Flatline wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 18:34:
Verno wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 16:57:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 16:42:
Apologies, don't feel like reading all the posts on this topic. I'm guessing someone must have already said this..

But what exactly has Valve been doing for the past 5 years?

Well they've worked on a lot of different things - TF2, Dota 2, Source 2 apparently, Portal 2, etc. Just not a lot in terms of singular output I guess. I'd really like to see L4D3 soon and I don't mind waiting for HL3. Anything with a 3 really haha.

It must be nice to be in their position but I have to admit that they really earned it.

TF2- Oh yes the hat thing.
DOTA2- Purchased the dev studio
Source2- Okay true they're pushing out a new engine.
Portal 2- Purchased the dev studio
L4D- Wasn't that a 3rd party dev studio they hired/purchased as well?

This argument has always been stupid but if you're going to use it at least get it right.

TF2 - fully Valve developed sequel to TFC which was also created by Valve employees who used to be modders of Team Fortress for QuakeWorld.

DOTA2 - fully Valve developed sequel to DOTA a WC3 mod (Valve hired one of the primary modders, some scandal around whether he "owned" DOTA or not).

Portal 2 - fully Valve developed sequel to Portal which was a fully Valve developed game created by Valve employees hired after Valve saw their DigiPen university class project Narbacular Drop.

L4D2 - fully valve developed sequel to L4D which originally began development under Turtle Rock Studios which was acquired by Valve during development (even before Valve acquired them all previous projects were expansions to Valve games).

CS:GO fully Valve developed sequel to CS:S a fully Valve developed sequel to CS a Valve property that originally started out as a HL mod, they hired the modders.

So the only game that spent any development time outside of Valve was L4D and it was created by a studio whose only work when they were "independent" was contracted by Valve. That studio went independent again and released Evolve.

115. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 18, 2015, 21:34 Sepharo

Yeah, when I see a car or a scooter I pause the game and check their starting point and destination. Mostly everyone should be walking or public transit except for industry.

I guess I should say when I see a lot of cars or scooters... Can't stop them all

110. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 18, 2015, 01:29 Sepharo

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 00:38:
Interesting. I always thought foothpaths were just for decorative purposes, I didn't realize people would actually USE them. Thanks for the tips

As far as the landfills, okay, that's what I do too. Incinerators are far better than landfills.

I would leave a cemetery around, though, as apparently not all citizens want to use a crematorium. (No idea whether that's actually true or not, but that's what one of the devs said.)

Yeah depending on how you lay your roads out the paths can be a big deal. If a guy can cut over the block or highway to get to work or the store then he doesn't have to drive all the way around. I've seen them walk a pretty long distance too, but you have to make sure it connects to a road or park. No landing the paths in center grassy areas that are otherwise surrounded by homes or they won't get used.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2015, 02:12.

86. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 02:15 Sepharo

Creston wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 01:58:
descender wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 17:16:
split the traffic right at the start, and don't let it get back together.

This is essentially the feeder I set up i described below.

Split the traffic right away. One path to industrial... use 1 ways streets connected by 2 way "ends" to create your "industrial box" and then have an exit go back to the highway. Along the exit, create a ramp that feeds back in before the original split. The trucks can wheel around your industrial area all they want, and then feed out successfully. The people working in the industrial area take the connector back to the splitter, and then go home via the residential feeders. I set up basically the same system for the residential feeder, and my traffic flows beautifully (and no trucks ever go in the residential area for the most part).

I essentially stole this idea from here: http://goo.gl/n5gLLL (A similar workshop entry: http://goo.gl/1N4tmQ)

I couldn't recreate his exact implementation so I had to fudge a few things (and added an extra loop back connector that he didn't use)... maybe I'll try to screenshot it later.

Cool links, thanks. My setup works until about 40K population, and then it starts to get overloaded. My biggest problem is always the fucking garbage trucks. The game seems to insist on sending 500 garbage trucks to and fro the same area, causing massive snarls.

I'll give these setups a try.

Are you using empty landfill? That should only be used sparingly and never more than one at a time or it will result in exactly what you said. Spread your incinerator plants like you would any other service, despite the fact that they can travel much farther. Despite the ability to raise funding on garbage to get more trucks I've found it better to simply spread more incinerator plants so they aren't clustering. Keep them away from persistent traffic jam areas too

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 15, 2015, 19:53 Sepharo

I'm still on my first city, 20 hours in, and just hit 44K with 3.5 million in the bank. It could probably be a lot bigger but I spend a lot of time messing with walkways, busses, metros, etc. Lots of micro with an occasional pause to lay out a new massive neighborhood. Sometimes I just let the camera follow a citizen as they get around the city.

One frustrating thing is that people don't stay close to home. You lay a new zone with everything they could ever want and they're still traveling across the entire city to work in old downtown... but I guess that could be because of efficient public transit. I don't tend to see them driving when they're doing that.

72. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 15, 2015, 19:49 Sepharo

I was surprised a few times by the hydroelectric dam.
First I put it in and everything was good for a bit... Then suddenly I have no water, the dam lowered the water levels down stream and the pumps weren't reaching it any longer. So then I put the pumps upstream of the dam but then I didn't have enough electricity because I reduced the amount of water getting to the dam. Then much later after fixing all of that I noticed that I had flooded the low lying areas above the dam. You could see where the river was and then see newly flooded areas with trees sticking up along the sides of it.

Pretty cool stuff, I wasn't expecting to see the water level dynamically change and the game mechanics that come from that.

58. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 12:11 Sepharo

915,450 965,545 Dota 2
531,368 534,086 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
81,158 81,158 Team Fortress 2
71,814 75,607 PAYDAY 2
56,591 56,591 Football Manager 2015
51,329 51,329 Cities: Skylines
50,814 50,814 Sid Meier's Civilization V
47,648 47,648 Garry's Mod
40,711 40,711 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
28,315 30,147 Counter-Strike

That's pretty major. The rest of the games on that list are institutions.

40. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 00:09 Sepharo

I left everything at default for taxes and funding, only use wind turbines, build stuff as soon as it's available, and still have plenty of money... So while Creston has some very good tips I don't think you should have to do that  

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Confirmed
41. Re: Titanfall 2 Confirmed Mar 13, 2015, 22:44 Sepharo

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
If you can get past the matchmaking and the lack of community and modding... Titanfall is one of the best MP FPS of all time.

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2015, 11:17 Sepharo

The author mentions problems, issues, diseases, how Greenlight is broken but for the life of me I can't find where he ever identifies what he means by all that.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Cities: Skylines
30. Re: Ships Ahoy - Cities: Skylines Mar 11, 2015, 21:06 Sepharo

I played for about 3 hours last night.
Really liking it so far... and dat polish

News Comments > etc., etc.
24. Re: etc., etc. Mar 11, 2015, 01:12 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 14:56:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 23:59:
The only wireless things I have are my cellphone and tablet.
Wired mouse, keyboard, headphones.
There's an ethernet cable between my computer and router.

Who wants to deal with batteries and data loss.

Oh my god....

My comment was about a wireless controller, one that originates from the console world. I use wired connections for everything else for the record but it is a total waste to pay $60 and not at least get the option for wireless out of the box when talking about a controller.

This isn't about MLG Counter-Strike whatever.

Holy overreaction. I was just describing my setup. Wasn't really addressing your comment. I don't care what you use

6899 Comments. 345 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo