Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mikus_Aurelius

Real Name Mikus_Aurelius   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mikus_Aurelius
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 29, 2003, 00:55
Total Comments 191 (Novice)
User ID 17244

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Federal Reserve: While bitcoins hold “promise,” we have no regulatory authority. Nov 19, 2013, 15:53 Mikus_Aurelius

LittleMe wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 12:57:
That's the point of it. The Fed can't steal the value of them by inflating away the value. That's precisely why the coins are valuable. It's a decentralized currency. We don't want your stinking regulations!!!

I'm not really sure why the anti-government types have it out for the federal reserve. We haven't had unhealthy inflation in this country since the 70s. What other federal agency can claim 30 years of success?

The interesting thing here is that technology has created a speculative instrument that it is impossible to regulate. How long before hedge funds start encoding their assets in a similar way? Next time Wall Street tanks our economy, we might not even know who did it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Omerta - City of Gangsters Expansion Next Month
10. Re: Omerta - City of Gangsters Expansion Next Month Nov 13, 2013, 18:48 Mikus_Aurelius

Cutter wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 18:25:
Yes, random map generators kick ass and provide much needed longevity - specifically for games like this. Maybe you're content playing the same maps over and over but most of us aren't.

I don't know where "most of us" comes from. The average player doesn't play a tactical strategy game long enough to repeat maps more than a couple times. I'm receptive to the argument that several dozen high quality handcrafted maps provide better gameplay than randomized but more generic ones.

Having said that, I didn't play enough Omerta to judge its maps.

News Comments > Omerta - City of Gangsters Expansion Next Month
2. Re: Omerta - City of Gangsters Expansion Next Month Nov 13, 2013, 10:48 Mikus_Aurelius

I'm pretty shocked that this got an expansion. By all accounts, and my experience with the demo, this game was a stinker. It was a shame too, because I liked their Tropico offerings.  

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Blood & Gore DLC Released
12. Re: Total War: ROME II Blood & Gore DLC Released Nov 1, 2013, 09:18 Mikus_Aurelius

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 08:53:
Are you playing the same game I am? It doesn't sound like it.

Performance is vastly improved from launch and is quite acceptable across three systems I regularly play on. I think I get chop maybe once an hour as textures are loaded/reloaded but it is for no more than five seconds max.

Unit stats are fine. They've been continuously balanced over, what, five patches now? It is now impossible to have a single unit type dominate the battle field, not even Praetorian Guards. Battle times are also fine. My average battle lasts about 30 minutes which I think is perfectly acceptable given that the main focus is managing and extending an empire.

The non-siege battles have come a long way. The campaign has improved too, but it's still a mess. The campaign is much less of a game then Shogun 2 and more of a sandbox that you tool around in until you get bored.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Oct 21, 2013, 12:28 Mikus_Aurelius

And they are tied to technology going the way of the rotary phone ... sales of the Microsoft Xbox and Sony PlayStation consoles have wilted 40 percent in the last two years.

Wow, console sales drop off at the end of a generation? The industry is doomed. Another piece from a reporter with either

a) an agenda
b) no critical thinking skills

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Patch Adds Faction; Steam Workshop
7. Re: Total War: ROME II Patch Adds Faction; Steam Workshop Oct 19, 2013, 11:19 Mikus_Aurelius

Simon Says wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 10:40:
To think I had been awaiting this game all summer with baited breath, and now I just mostly don't care anymore...

Yep.

I think that whoever designed the tight campaign mechanics for Shogun 2 was on vacation. The building system, economy, tech tree, and late game are all noticeably worse. What's more, I don't think we can expect them to rework bad design decisions with patches, and I don't know how moddable they are.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 13, 2013, 19:31 Mikus_Aurelius

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 12:56:
new maps (10 in total, most likely, despite them saying 40. They count 4 start points on the same map as four separate maps)

The producer is on record saying 10 of each of the two new covert mission types. Plus we know there are new crash site maps (farms). I bet they really have 40.

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Beta Patch 3
5. Re: Total War: ROME II Beta Patch 3 Sep 21, 2013, 09:16 Mikus_Aurelius

Numinar wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 08:22:
For the real time battles MYTH:The fallen Lords did this best. Have the main general distribute the units available to all participating players whether they had a general present or not. This would allow for a lot more flexibility and control over your units and be fun times. Maybe it does this already? I have a vague feeling in Shogun I was able to participate in my partners battles even if I had no units.

It did this in Shogun (2). My wife has no taste for blood so she always wanted the archers. I took the melee units.

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Beta Patch
4. Re: Total War: ROME II Beta Patch Sep 15, 2013, 20:30 Mikus_Aurelius

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 15, 2013, 11:21:
I've personally noticed quite a big difference in speed, however it still needs work (and a nvidia driver ffs!). I'm just glad they are supporting it as they have since release as it definitely needs some love. All that said i'm still enjoying it.

Yeah to clarify, what this patch makes fun is that the campaign map AI doesn't just lie down and die like it used to. Now it builds decent armies and decent empires. There are still tons of problems with the game and mechanics they haven't even started to fix, but I'm having fun now (and last week, I mostly wasn't).

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Beta Patch
1. Re: Total War: ROME II Beta Patch Sep 15, 2013, 11:06 Mikus_Aurelius

In case anyone asks, yes this appears to be the patch that makes the game fun.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 28, 2013, 12:24 Mikus_Aurelius

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 10:11:
Its funny, i took a few classes (just for myself) in an eastern european school when i was there and there were quite a lot of Iranian students, all seemed like pretty chill relaxed guys. All smoking, drinking, and whoring about no problem. I think i caught a few of them eating pork as well.

Urban Iran has been a relatively progressive place for decades. Before the revolution, it could be mistaken for the urban centers of Egypt, Lebanon, Turkey or other moderate states. 3 decades of theocracy has changed things less than we might expect.

News Comments > Marvel Heroes Patch Adds Human Torch & Speedier Progression
1. Re: Marvel Heroes Patch Adds Human Torch & Speedier Progression Aug 5, 2013, 16:04 Mikus_Aurelius

You might have wondered how long you'd have to grind to avoid paying them for a full featured game. Helpfully, they named the currency "eternity splinters."  

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Trailer
11. Re: Total War: ROME II Trailer Aug 2, 2013, 13:20 Mikus_Aurelius

Armengar wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 10:21:
I hope you can still "do a sparta" on bridges like you could in rome 1. I loved phalanx defences on bridges.

Bridge battles were still in Shogun 2, so I don't see why they'd take them out. They did add a second crossing to the maps though to make them a bit less one-sided.

News Comments > The Bureau XCOM Declassified YOLO Trailer
1. Re: The Bureau XCOM Declassified YOLO Trailer Jul 31, 2013, 09:32 Mikus_Aurelius

So many people (myself included, probably) would just reload. I hope they have ironman mode. I have more fun when the game keeps me honest.  

News Comments > Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds
27. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 13:26 Mikus_Aurelius

Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 10:37:
And it was either last year or the year before Gabe became a BILLIONAIRE. He's doing something right.

Yeah, taking a cut of everything sold on Steam.

News Comments > Watch Dogs E3 Trailer
14. Re: Watch Dogs E3 Trailer Jun 10, 2013, 19:49 Mikus_Aurelius

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 19:05:
True, but I am repeating what they have been saying. No main story line and no "missions".....well wtf is that?

No design survives contact with the playtesters. Guild Wars 2 has this problem in development too. Some people are content to just explore an open world, but others need structure or they tune out. The open world crew is doomed (for mainstream games) for two reasons:

1) The structure people outnumber them.
2) Open world people can still enjoy a structured game, while structure people are often just frustrated by open world games.

Thus the good money is on stories and missions for any major release.

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Reboot Announced
11. Re: Mirror's Edge Reboot Announced Jun 10, 2013, 19:39 Mikus_Aurelius

"All footage from game engine"

Congratulations on writing a 3d engine that can render both games and cinematics. Now stop trying to mislead stupid customers into thinking that your game looks like a cinematic.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization May 31, 2013, 07:58 Mikus_Aurelius

Fantaz wrote on May 31, 2013, 04:44:
netnerd85 wrote on May 30, 2013, 22:03:
Mikus_Aurelius wrote on May 30, 2013, 20:14:
mobile hardcore gaming experience
Error. Error. Not logical. Error.

Does not compute! When I game, I'm not mobile? So why should my computer be?

I guess some people don't have wives who want to cuddle in bed and play XCOM. Poor bastards.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization May 30, 2013, 20:14 Mikus_Aurelius

I feel like Razer is just one more generation away from getting my money, either for a tiny laptop or a tablet. No one is competing with them at all for the mobile hardcore gaming experience, and I want the mobile hardcore gaming experience.

P.S. Windows 9 would help, too.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 30, 2013, 05:01 Mikus_Aurelius

Blanket criticism of an entire half of the political spectrum aside, I agree with Cutter. Why would I pay money I wasn't legally obligated to pay? Anyone who had serious cash to invest certainly has the means to do due diligence and realize that the state "guarantee" was non-binding. We should have no problem with the investor class losing their money sometimes. Government guarantees just produce moral hazards.  

191 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo