Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mikus_Aurelius

Real Name Mikus_Aurelius   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mikus_Aurelius
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 29, 2003, 00:55
Total Comments 168 (Novice)
User ID 17244

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > XCOM Shooter Website Missing
3. Re: XCOM Shooter Website Missing Apr 13, 2013, 19:28 Mikus_Aurelius

Stupid to call this XCOM in the first place. 90% of gamers barely know the reference, and the other 10% were pissed at the opportunism. It seemed like they had some interesting ideas, so maybe this flash of sanity will merit them another look.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Distant Worlds Expansion Announced
6. Re: Distant Worlds Expansion Announced Apr 6, 2013, 19:38 Mikus_Aurelius

You don't really need to own all the expansions to enjoy this game. The vanilla game holds up well on its own. All in all, I have to go back to MOO2 to find a space 4x that I like as much as this one, even though I haven't played in awhile.  

News Comments > Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released
1. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 09:03 Mikus_Aurelius

Put me on the list of people who would pay for a reboot (from a competent developer).  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Cities in Motion 2
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Cities in Motion 2 Apr 3, 2013, 10:36 Mikus_Aurelius

Based on the dev diaries and feature list, these guys were aware of the shortcomings of the first game and had some great ideas about how to expand the experience. The UI though is apparently a mess, with metro rails borderline unusable. I'm happy to pay full price to support a small studio in a niche I enjoy, but I'll wait for a few patches first.  

News Comments > SimCity: Maxis Working on Traffic Jams; Deleting "Hack" Posts
26. Re: SimCity: Maxis Working on Traffic Jams; Deleting Mar 15, 2013, 13:54 Mikus_Aurelius

Rhino wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 10:02:
I remember playing Tropico 1 back in 2001 (as well as every other one since). All residents have specific names, skills, personalities, residences, jobs. I'll admit to not being an expert but I would think that after 12 years adding persistent homes and jobs would still be possible without severely impacting performance on such small cities.

Tropico cities top out in the mid hundreds. Even in Tropico 4, there's a population cap well south of 1000, IIRC. Simcity is working on a bigger scale. Having said that, I'm totally in the camp that doesn't need to see power/water blobs. Abstract that shit and put in bigger cities.

News Comments > SimCity Adding Servers
13. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 10:19 Mikus_Aurelius

Verno wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 09:21:
I would like to see them dial back the resources allocated to meaningless Sims fluff and increased the city sizes to something respectable again.

The detail of the simulation would be pretty cool if it were a little more intelligent. People are figuring out now that commuters, busses and trains basically just wander at random and hope they get where they need to go. The PCGamer review has a guy who made a city that was a single winding road and was very successful.

I feel like the devs failed to learn how to do an agent based simulation correctly. They only needed to look at how the Caesar games evolved over a decade ago.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues
26. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 10:59 Mikus_Aurelius

I don't mind always on DRM that much. I probably won't play til the weekend anyway. I know some people do and they're welcome to that opinion. I'm not trying to start a fight there.

I do mind a program scanning my hard drive and sending the info to EA. I was under the impression that there are ways to make sure Origin doesn't see anything on my HD and reports back a blank to EA.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 10:15 Mikus_Aurelius

I may have to cave and get this after watching some let's plays. I'm a sucker for building games and even with its flaws it looks better than anything I've seen in years.

Does anyone know the latest on how to block Origin from scanning your system and phoning home? I've never installed Origin before. My own googling gave some suggestions, but many were over a year old and perhaps outdated.

News Comments > Cities in Motion 2 Trailer
1. Re: Cities in Motion 2 Trailer Jan 28, 2013, 20:54 Mikus_Aurelius

First one was promising, but the traffic models were unforgiving, while the economic models were too easy.

I'm interested to see how the sequel tweaks those.

News Comments > Omerta City of Gangsters Demo
3. Re: Omerta City of Gangsters Demo Jan 24, 2013, 09:47 Mikus_Aurelius

These guys seem to be doing everything right: DRM free sales on GOG, demo in advance of release.

I liked a lot of what they did with Tropico, but hated some of it too. I'm interested to try the demo and read some reviews.

News Comments > Firefly Universe Online
6. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 5, 2013, 18:53 Mikus_Aurelius

I wonder how much money changed hands? I expect they want a cut of the IP they killed a decade ago in their infinite wisdom.

Fuck you, Fox. Forever.

News Comments > Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games
5. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 11:20 Mikus_Aurelius

Could be cool. Better not siphon any of the talent off Rome 2 though!  

News Comments > Gollop on X-COM Remake
38. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 19:33 Mikus_Aurelius

Thanks for elaborating. I still think that which stats are "fair" and which are "bullshit" is relative and a matter of opinion. I think I could easily say that normal is "bullshit" because they nerfed the aliens, relative to classic. Classic tactical as a whole is manageable with proper tactics. If classic aliens were any less dangerous, it wouldn't be interesting for me personally. Some players are even able to handle the "bonuses" in impossible (not me).

I do think it was a mistake for them not to include a difficulty level between normal and classic, because that seems to be where a lot of their player base wants to play.

Creston wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 18:49:
Galciv II still has the best AI I've ever seen in a strategic game. And as far as I know, it doesn't cheat. Playing that on the top 2 difficulty levels is basically asking to get your ass handed to you on a silver platter.

That's interesting to hear. I still think its the exception rather than the rule, and if I refused to play any game where difficulty levels changed game stats/mechanics, I'd miss out on many good games.

Finally a couple corrections on game mechanics, just to be helpful (I hope)

- The 5 alien limit is in normal, not classic (I'm pretty sure)

- More powerful aliens appear by time, not by player power. I've had mutons appear when I had plasma, and when I was still on ballistic weapons. If you don't tech up and get your soldiers killed, you'll be facing muton elites with rookies and assault rifles.

- It's totally possible to win the game without pushing sats hard. My current game my sats by month were 2, 4, 5, 5, 7, 12, 14 (alien base in month 3). Maybe it's not the optimal strategy, but it worked fine.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2012, 19:41.

News Comments > Gollop on X-COM Remake
32. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 17:50 Mikus_Aurelius

Creston wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 10:39:
It's just too bad that the challenge comes from the AI cheating and purely random shit happening to you that you can't do anything about. It's not a difficulty where the AI simply plays smarter than you do; it just cheats instead.
Creston

I honestly don't understand this complaint about this or any other game. I'm not saying it's invalid. But basically, an enemy that has 30% chance to crit on normal has a 40% chance to crit on classic. Is this "cheating?" Why are the enemy statistics on one difficult level considered "fair" and on another "cheating?" The game is asymmetric, it's not like their sectoids are better than your sectoids. I'm happy to entertain a fuller explanation of this complaint, but for now I guess I just don't get it.

I've been playing games a long time. I've gotten over the fact that game AI will never scale infinitely, and instead strategy games will challenge me by presenting opponents that are stronger instead of more intelligent. Certainly this has been the case in every strategy game I've ever played on a computer, except maybe Chess. Again, are there games I'm missing with smarter and smarter AI to challenge the best players?

My personal criticism of the game is that it needs much more operational pressure in the mid and late game. The first couple months of classic feel about right, but after you get a decent income, and eventually full satellite coverage, the aliens never really do anything to break your momentum. The tactical game similarly becomes trivial once you have mid level soldiers and gear. If I survive the first month, I generally finish the game with maybe 1-2 more casualties total.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 14:34 Mikus_Aurelius

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 11:22:
I REALLY wish they hadn't gone the bullshit "Enemies get bonusses to hit and to critical damage on Classic mode" route. I've tried Classic twice now, and I just get too frustrated with Sectoids pulling off insane shots from across the level that critical hit my guy who is in full fucking cover.

I started in Classic and with no idea what normal is like, it just makes the game feel lethal. It you remember the original, aliens would one-shot your guys left and right for the first few months. There was no concept of a critical there, but plasma weapons were stacked to wreck your guys. It feels the same in Classic, people are just gonna die. When you get suppression fire and some body armor, you start to feel like a badass. I don't think I lost anyone besides expendable rookies for the last 10 missions of my ironman game.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews
24. Re: Was just at Target... Oct 8, 2012, 14:48 Mikus_Aurelius

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 14:45:
If GMG offered refund for Steam games I would have picked it up.
IT'S NOT FAIR!

I bet it requires steam activation. You'd still be stuck waiting til midnight to play.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Beta For All Keyholders
12. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta For All Keyholders Aug 25, 2012, 22:12 Mikus_Aurelius

PHJF wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 19:56:

Every key works now. You dont need a email just login.

There is no way to download the client.

http://www.planetside2.com/download

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent
10. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent Jul 31, 2012, 12:20 Mikus_Aurelius

I don't think the priority keys are being let in this week anyway. They said that they're starting beta with current PS1 subscribers, then former PS1 subscribers, then the keys, then everyone else.  

News Comments > Microsoft Flight Grounded
4. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 10:54 Mikus_Aurelius

Never mind that they left out dynamic scenery, which has been in the franchise since what, 1990? I'm happy to shell out for compact but highly detailed regions, if they don't feel completely dead.

News Comments > Raimi Off World of Warcraft Film
7. Re: Raimi Off World of Warcraft Film Jul 18, 2012, 13:03 Mikus_Aurelius

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 12:03:
Just throw a bunch of money at Peter Jackson until he says yes.

Didn't he get 15% of LOTR or something? Peter Jackson is gonna do whatever Peter Jackson wants to do, for the rest of his life.

168 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo