Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mikus_Aurelius

Real Name Mikus_Aurelius   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mikus_Aurelius
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 29, 2003, 00:55
Total Comments 171 (Novice)
User ID 17244

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
3. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Sep 28, 2014, 19:32 Mikus_Aurelius

NKD wrote on Sep 28, 2014, 14:06:
How does it compare to adjusting something on your dash, reading a book, putting on makeup, turning around to slap at your misbehaving kid, daydreaming, holding a conversation with a passenger, or staring at a roadside advertisement?

Fortunately there are people who study these things. I don't recall the full results, but for instance, having a conversation with a passenger actually improves safety slightly. It's essentially just another pair of eyes.

Almost every day I find myself behind someone who is driving one-handed so he or she can text continually. Since the police seem uninterested, and people don't give a shit about safety, we need to get self-driving cars on the road ASAP. They really couldn't be any worse.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Sep 27, 2014, 20:23 Mikus_Aurelius

Quboid wrote on Sep 27, 2014, 19:27:
If you're spending this much, you probably have pedals.

I see people mentioning pedals for their Elite setups but I don't see the point. Nothing in the spacecraft control scheme behaves remotely like rudder pedals on a terrestrial aircraft.

Sometimes I think these sim guys just want their joystick to be bigger than the next guy's.

News Comments > Total War: ATTILA Announced
2. Re: Total War: ATTILA Announced Sep 25, 2014, 19:30 Mikus_Aurelius

Franlkly, I love the Total War paradigm. I love Roman history. I loved Rome 1. If Rome 2.5 is what we need to get a decent modern game in the period, I'll cough up.

After I see the user reviews.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 10, 2014, 14:57 Mikus_Aurelius

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 13:07:
I suppose if you run around with your phone in your hand all day, it probably works for you.

Based on my morning commute, people won't even put down their phones to drive. Maybe it's big enough to come equipped with an airbag.

News Comments > Activision Taking Take-Two?
1. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Aug 31, 2014, 12:42 Mikus_Aurelius

I guess Beyond Earth will be the last decent game out of Firaxis then. Too bad, I really like their work.  

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition
1. Re: Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition Aug 29, 2014, 19:29 Mikus_Aurelius

I tried this game after the last patch and the battles are quite fun now. I still couldn't stomach the campaign though. There just aren't any interesting choices.

If they really are overhauling politics and buildings, then I think I might finally enjoy this game.

In the meantime, I haven't preordered a game in over a year, all thanks to CA.

News Comments > Volition Reveal Friday
1. Re: Volition Reveal Friday Aug 27, 2014, 10:14 Mikus_Aurelius

Wake me up if it's Freespace 3.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 21, 2014, 13:53 Mikus_Aurelius

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 12:40:
Their solution to the stagnating sandbox problem is.. to sell us more DLC? I hope I misunderstood

Nothing in this AMA talks about how dynamic the city simulation is. Very disappointing.

I think he answered about adding new mechanics via DLC because he isn't close enough to the dev process to know, but this is also a top issue for me (if not THE top).

In most city sims I'm sitting on a huge pot of money in no time. In real life, taxpayers would be demanding a break, and employees would be agitating for a raise. In real life, industries die out, and as the middle class expands, they flee to the suburbs. Traffic problems get worse and the solutions we employ in most games (just build tunnels/subways!) are enormously expensive, moreso than most games claim.

News Comments > Grand Ages: Medieval Announced
6. Re: Grand Ages: Medieval Announced Aug 11, 2014, 16:22 Mikus_Aurelius

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 14:54:
Grand Ages Rome was pretty dang decent

Really? I spent the whole time wishing I was playing Caesar 4.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: US military studied how to influence Twitter users in Darpa-funded research. Aug 4, 2014, 19:55 Mikus_Aurelius

Internet commentary often wraps itself in hyperbole.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 12, 2014, 20:35 Mikus_Aurelius

jdreyer wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 18:36:
Modern computerized learning systems are extremely useful and effective. Unlike the classroom experience, they can be precisely tailored to the individual student. They include game-like elements like goals, achievements, and virtual rewards to encourage lesson completion.

This depends pretty heavily on the classroom you visit. Computer aided curriculum is certainly a step up from ancient teaching methods and substandard teachers that many students are exposed to. For the amount they cost, educational apps are the best mass-upgrade our public education system is likely to get.

What DangerDog says about CEOs though is right, even through upper elementary and middle school. Engaging apps just aren't great for your attention span, whether you're 5 or 45. If you can afford to send your kids to a place where they work independently, get human feedback, and do it without flashing pixels in their faces (research projects are probably an exception), then you probably should.

News Comments > Diablo III to "Heal" Broken Achievements
9. Re: Diablo III to Jun 11, 2014, 10:37 Mikus_Aurelius

descender wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 10:27:
The other problem here is that the achievements in D3 are just grindy and completely uninspired. Only about 1 per class requires any actual thought or effort to accomplish.

I think this is the issue. Achievements can be fun if they challenge you. Oddly enough, world of warcraft had this about right (back when I last played). Some achievements are gimmes, some are grinds, and some take serious skill. You go for the ones that interest you, and it IS impressive to see people sporting the rewards from the really hard ones.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
8. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 6, 2014, 19:31 Mikus_Aurelius

jdreyer wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 04:52:
Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 22:34:
I just played a game of this with my wife an hour ago.

The VASSAL module has always been a headache and a half for me, so I've been waiting for this one.

Your WIFE? Is she a man? I mean no disrespect, but this is a serious grognard's game. She must be unusual to be into this.

I think some serious grognards would take issue with that. Twilight Struggle is about the lightest card driven wargame on the planet.

I guess the lesson is that whatever game you happen to enjoy, someone somewhere enjoys something heavier, longer and more intimidating.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 5, 2014, 22:34 Mikus_Aurelius

I just played a game of this with my wife an hour ago.

The VASSAL module has always been a headache and a half for me, so I've been waiting for this one.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Distant Worlds Universe
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Distant Worlds Universe May 23, 2014, 23:27 Mikus_Aurelius

Maybe with the sequel they'll drop the insane pricing scheme and the proprietary storefront at launch, instead of after the last expansion.

They'd have made a lot of money on this gem if they'd been on steam from the beginning.

News Comments > Tropico 5 Preorders Soar
15. Re: Tropico 5 Preorders Soar May 21, 2014, 13:13 Mikus_Aurelius

It looks like the perennial difficulty issues haven't been fixed. This guy played the preview build at max everything for an hour and he's coasting along:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2AvQg5E8tw&list=UUbx1TZgxfIauUZyPuBzEwZg

I really don't see why they bother having sliders if they're going to make a game you can't lose.

News Comments > Offworld Trading Company Announced
6. Re: Offworld Trading Company Announced May 19, 2014, 21:43 Mikus_Aurelius

ShakaUVM wrote on May 19, 2014, 21:19:
Sounds interesting, but paying $80 for Early Access is in laughable territory.

I don't think we're the target audience. The Alpha backers on Planetary Annihilation and Elite Dangerous (to name a couple I've followed) don't seem to be complaining.

I laugh at people who spend $40,000 on a car too, but it doesn't seem to bother them.

News Comments > Hegemony Rome: The Rise of Caesar Rises Next Week
3. Re: Hegemony Rome: The Rise of Caesar Rises Next Week May 10, 2014, 10:24 Mikus_Aurelius

The first Hegemony had a really pleasing map and economic model. The combat felt so underwhelming though. I hope they've reworked the engine to make combat more exciting.  

News Comments > WildStar Beta Open To All
36. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 16:43 Mikus_Aurelius

Creston wrote on May 8, 2014, 15:32:
I'm curious as to how many people that will actually bring to the table, though? Enough to sustain an entire MMO?

I've seen a couple people bring up the idea that a hardcore only MMO can't survive. I'm not sure I buy it. There's plenty of precedent for MMOs with a few hundred thousand subscribers being healthy for years. In general, I think niche MMO's can make it, whether that niche is the hardcore, kids, space sim junkies, RPers, whatever.

That said, a developer should match its budget to a realistic estimate of the subscriber base. If the Wildstar devs pitched a hardcore MMORPG, NCsoft should have given them a niche game budget.

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Getting AMD Mantle Support
8. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Getting AMD Mantle Support Apr 15, 2014, 20:30 Mikus_Aurelius

Gadzooks wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 18:18:
Marketing Gimic is gimicky.

Move along.

Maybe. I've never seen Firaxis bragging on graphics tech. I doubt they'd commit the dev time, if it weren't improving the play experience.

171 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo