Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 5602 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M?
36. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 15:54 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 14:22:
If those numbers are true then it is another testament to the sad state of affairs in gaming land. But to everyone who bought this piece of shit: You only have to blame yourselves for what is to come.

Right because a bad popular movie describes all movies.
Because a bad popular tv show describes all tv shows.
Because a bad popular person describes all people.

I say some look at it wrong, they have their own cash and their own choices. It doesn't affect me and the games I enjoy, plenty are still being made that I can get into. Some talk about this apocalyptic gaming future of which I don't know what you are describing. Just more old man fears of "it was better when I wuz a...".

Star Wars after a revival sells a lot? Wow, what a real surprise.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 4, 2016, 13:56 HorrorScope

WaltC wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 09:52:
(BTW, you can still view the site with your ad-blocker on--just hit "continue"...)

Not on mine, still blocked.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 4, 2016, 13:54 HorrorScope

Why didn't they warn us about 7 then? Why not just go ahead and warn us about Win10's problems now and not when you have your next new thing you want us to move to.

They had a list of apps and o/s with vulnerability counts floating around the net recently. Apple OS #1, Adobe #2, yes win 7 had more than Win 10, but if you have one vulnerability isn't that more than enough? These were in the 50's and 100's of issues. So when they give us the monthly patch it means nothing. You are still unsafe.

On a scale of 1-10 you move between a 1 and 2 all the time. There is no true security but they try also to sell that there is. Twisted shit. Sham shit. It's an illusion. They want us to use there unsecured shit then at the same time warn us about unsecured shit.

News Comments > PC Killer Instinct a Windows 10 Exclusive
21. Re: PC Killer Instinct a Windows 10 Exclusive Jan 3, 2016, 22:48 HorrorScope

Jerykk wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 17:04:
I'm shocked.

Seriously though, is anybody surprised by this? Fable Legends has already been confirmed as a Windows 10 exclusive. GoW:UE will most definitely be exclusive. Gigantic supported Vista, 7 and 8 until they signed a deal with MS and now the game is exclusive to 10 as well. Pretty much any game MS publishes from now on will be a Windows 10 exclusive and only available on the Windows App store.

What's sad is that even with their push to promote Windows 10 and the app store, they're still only porting the games they don't really care about. Where's Halo 5? Or Halo: MCC? Where's GoW 4? Crackdown 3?

In the end it will be another postmortem like GFWL... MS: "It wasn't executed properly", yeah no shit. Until you have the balls to just make a game a put it out there for the masses to buy without any unique hoops that are MS, you'll have public acceptance issues. They think there games are undeniable and carrots, first become a great game making company, then you might have some chance of success.

News Comments > Op Ed
54. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2016, 22:36 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 21:50:
And yet there is one big difference. I can take any game from my collection from the 1990s, jump through those hoops and play any time I wish for pretty much all eternity since everything is offline. I own the actual fucking game and I'm not just renting it like through Steam.

That need is minuscule to the whole. I won't argue you can't feel that way, but that isn't the paying public. And there isn't a right or wrong way either. But your concerns are not what drives the market. You are trying to stand up for some principal that not enough people care about. You also aren't accepting the benefits we have rec'd, imo we have rec'd many and the numbers show I'm not alone in enjoying this age. I get your ideal, it's just that it isn't critical for me that a game in 1990 plays on my PC today. I'm not against it, I like GOG a bit, but I like new content even more. I'm buying and playing new games 90+% of the time.

Then you go on to gamings doomsday scenario. If the internet is down for a month... games are a very secondary issue if the inet is down a month and then a lot of my new stuff will still play. Geeze it's games here, not oxygen. Steam has spoken on doomsday issues and states the games will be DRM released from their service if they go belly up.

This argument, I know there is no talking you down, I've been in it with a handful over the years (sometimes I wonder if it's the same 3 people over and over) I have a long time just assumed you have some medical phobia fear condition, something you don't know about and can't help, nor will ever attest to. I've seen people just argue it until a proverbial dying breath, that people like me would ever be ok with something like Steam DRM, that it's amazing to them that I can be so naive and stupid.... I fall back on this first... ahmmm... we are talking games, it isn't as important as the stance you portray.

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2016, 22:45.

News Comments > Op Ed
49. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2016, 14:42 HorrorScope

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 14:07:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 13:15:
Games are better and cheaper today,

You're delusional if you believe this, graphics are better no doubt, but that is technologically inevitable. There are plenty of things that were better from that era. When's the last time a modern AAA game released its source code? When's the last time we got dedicated servers that weren't walled garden/steam controlled?

I'm sorry to tell you but things have gone in a much more locked down direction, anyone who denies it is just incapable of accepting that truth.

There are more games with dedicated servers and modding today than ever. It seems you are locked in just talking about corporate games. There is a larger world of games that are indy with tons of dedicated servers and mods. If you are stuck in Battlefield and COD... then yes, but I'm using the whole field of games.

Better games and cheaper. IMO it's undeniable.

Is every single game and company better? No. The corporate gaming scene can make a great game, but yes they have stripped some nice features for sure and they suck for that, but I don't live just for corporate AAA's. Others make up that difference and I play more of those, but at the same time I'm not a hypocrite here, I do play and enjoy some corporate AAA's, they might not have dedicated servers (not all games I play are MP either, many aren't) but they bring other production values small teams cannot. Variety... We have it now like we never had.

News Comments > Op Ed
47. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2016, 13:15 HorrorScope

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 13:04:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 12:09:
It seems we are polluted by a group that isn't honest with us, who wants DRM free games, so they can pirate them without any issues for $0.

It seems we have a new kid who didn't grow up in the 90's or is lacking some serious brainpower. Games have radically changed since how they were released in the 90's with open access, editors and mod tools. Everything has steam crapware integration, dedicated server code is now never released and locked down on the other side of the internet for most games. We have walled garden gaming for a lot of games and that is what drives the DRM free crowd. Most games are released half arse, imperfect and imcomplete even good games. The whole point of mods/level editing/dedicated servers is to give games a long shelf life after purchase. Companies don't want that, they want total control and to pump and dump the masses with unfinished / poorly ported goods.

We still get 'bad ports' after decades of complaints, so gamers complaints stand because the free market is a fantasy.

In order to have a valid market for any item, your customers have to be 1) intelligent 2) informed 3) ethical enough to punish companies.

We have none of that in videogameland, we have cretinous overgrown children at subhuman levels of intelligence who feed the DRM beast because they stupid, tech illiterate and impulsive.

Games are better and cheaper today, yesterday is never as good as we like to remember, that said it's a nice human quality how time forgives. Bad ports can happen now and did happen then. You guys and your doom-saying of walled gardens, drm, online, renting. It's fear mongering. Can some of it happen? It is possible. But I'm not seeing it, will live with the fool me once if it does AND I'm enjoying the fruits these walled gardens have created for us, cheaper games and a lot more games from small developers that would have never happened. Both are gaming gold imo. These are the best of days and some want to preach doom. Not buying the angry man bs.

I grew up in the 70's-80's fwiw, no need to guess.

News Comments > Op Ed
45. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2016, 12:09 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 10:28:
But, generally, for 99.9% of the garbage that is released these days I'm waiting for discounts.

You buy garbage? I don't even at 99% off. But wow what a crap rant, bringing in all the gamer heart strings... Rental DRM blah blah blah.

I liked posts 36 and 37.

What a no flash sale does for me is I know the sale ends on 1/4. No need to actually buy until then. So I can mull over games that I don't need really. But I'll get some. All of this can change in the future, Steam and its partners will review sales and revenue. If it isn't up to expecations, they'll make adjustments. So no one can say for certain what next year will be or not until the analysis is done.

But here is my que in sales price. Notice deep discounts and crazy cheap games:

That is cheap ass gaming, the last is a AAA after just a few months being $40 off. The bitching some come up with seems so damn spoiled.

It seems we are polluted by a group that isn't honest with us, who wants DRM free games, so they can pirate them without any issues for $0.

So no matter what happens they cannot be satisfied if a game has some DRM and costs anything. I conclude that because the rants equal that, still bitching about game prices, well sir's live 15 years ago. You got much crappier games on avg. (which today too many put rose color glasses on, nostalgia), way less of choice and those games were $40-$50 and finding a discount meant you had to keep up to date with store owners in the area and put time and money into that knowledge and chase.

If you don't like steam or their prices, you have many other choices as well. Good. This has been nothing but a major victory for gamers and now we are complaining about a game that maybe discounted nicely to $7 instead of $5 on a flash. But hello... we get the 2 hour refund benefit in place of that possible $2 flash savings some may take advantage of.

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2016, 12:16.

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2016, 23:33 HorrorScope

Jerykk wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 22:56:
Flash sales and daily deals didn't disappear because of it. They disappeared for the numerous reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

What were those reasons again?

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2016, 19:24 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2016, 14:35:
3. He brings up a good point that I hadn't considered: the refund system affects the ability to have short term sales. I was wondering why Steam stopped doing daily sales; this is a pretty good hypothesis.

Steam does Daily sales just now not at the same time as a seasonal sale, yes due to refunds. Makes sense. But there are plenty of days out there where daily sales are there and welcome.

If anyone needs is spelled out why you don't do a flash sale during a seasonal sale. Yesterday I bought game for $15, but now a 4 hour flash sale for the same game. I'll refund the game and re-buy it for $7. The reason.

Also lol's at the Cliffski - CliffyB confusion each time it happens.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2016, 19:18 HorrorScope

There are plenty of deals and the cost of games has gone down massively over the past 5 or so years, if it is leveling up a little higher from all time lows... that is just finding and understanding the market.

Games like Mad Max $20 already on a good game that was $60.

Not really sure what people are expecting on some games other than "I still want it lower". People have to make a living to.

I do agree AAA's getting to super cheap takes longer or doesn't happen. Super Cheap meaning under $10. But if I can get a great AAA game in 10-18 months after release for around $15-$20, that's good. Seems reasonable. If I need it sooner I pay more, if I need it day one I pay retail. Me and Prepridge farms remembers when $50-$60 was the normal for all games for 20 years. The norm for me is way way under that yes still today.

Oh and that is why I will defend Steam they ultimately were the catalyst. Bringing more competition to us thus making it super competitive. If you like buying elsewhere today, you are still reaping the benefits Steam brought us.

News Comments > Lucky's Tale Bundled with Oculus Rift
6. Re: Lucky's Tale Bundled with Oculus Rift Jan 1, 2016, 16:46 HorrorScope

Tom wrote on Jan 1, 2016, 16:39:
It seems everyone is skeptical about this game until they try it, then they love it. Palmer Luckey is no fool. He wouldn't bundle it just because they named it Lucky's Tale. Right?

I haven't played this particular game and I am kind of skeptical about it, but I can recognize that it's probably something a large number of people would enjoy. I've been pleasantly surprised by other stuff in VR. The whole "third person in VR" thing really does work. But it's hard to understand before trying it - kind of like VR in general, but even more so. So it might take some extra time for this sort of thing to become popular.

Fair enough on the 3rd person. But not looking for children's games, sure could have cool effects, but not my type of game, never owned N systems or games.

News Comments > Lucky's Tale Bundled with Oculus Rift
4. Re: Lucky's Tale Bundled with Oculus Rift Jan 1, 2016, 16:06 HorrorScope

Why am I looking at 3rd person views? Why?

Trying to sell young kids this device that needs a PC to drive, yeah that's good marketing to.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
15. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 31, 2015, 15:54 HorrorScope

Luke wrote on Dec 31, 2015, 14:30:
sure sure they sell 500mbit speed but you will never get that at home scam yet again from the isp

I'd like to have someone offer that to me in my area for less than $80... and I'd try to it out and see.

14. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 31, 2015, 15:52 HorrorScope

PHJF wrote on Dec 31, 2015, 11:58:
I've been on cable for about 15-18 years in Ohio, in and near metro areas, and haven't seen my speed improve. It was AWESOME downloading at 2MB/s... in 2000... and now I have playback issues on youtube 90% of the time. Here's to progress.

Wow that's crappy, cable at only 2 MB/s, that sounds like DSL. My dad in NE Ohio does way better than that and could go higher if he wanted to pay. Probably could approach 100 MB/s.

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 31, 2015, 11:29 HorrorScope

I more than tripled mine... I switched to a much smaller ISP. Too bad everyone doesn't have the choice. I'm still just 1/10th of fiber though.  

News Comments > Steam Christmas Issues Explained
19. Re: Steam Christmas Issues Explained Dec 31, 2015, 11:28 HorrorScope

It's not easy getting answers from lawyers during the holiday season.

That said, I ordered my "I survived Steam's Christmas Fail" Tee, it's in the mail. Loud and proud.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Dec 30, 2015, 18:23 HorrorScope

harlock wrote on Dec 30, 2015, 14:32:
war isnt nation vs nation.. its man vs man - thats why its such a fucking horror...

nobody understands shit until it happens to them and thats the problem - they are locked into their own little world, mistakenly imagining it to be the whole wide world out there - and everybody does this, confusing their own private bullshit for how "it really is" because they cant accept how insignificant they really are in the actual BIG scheme of things... every little personal thing has to be universally relevant - its just ass-backwards

Lot of truth in that. War is nation to nation and man to man imo. Yeah I'm pretty disgusted how too many people are ok with war as if it's a spectacle and if someone looks at you wrong... WAR!, especially when it isn't any of theirs. I honestly I'm hung up on why people want machine guns in their home and think that is an ideal world to live in and/or think the boogie man is coming to get them and then praise be to the God of Love, Jesus. Hmmm...

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 28, 2015, 14:18 HorrorScope

Yes the numbers are what they are, no matter if you think it is goofy or not. I always catch myself right at this point....

If I'm making fun of something new for whatever reason, then I'm acting old, like every generation of parents have over 1000's of years and in the end they are proven wrong.

So why continue the insanity? It is what it is, me liking it or not that is one thing, doesn't make it any less real though.

Should be no surprise, do you see more kids really into sports or into video games. Now the cream gets to rise to the top.

News Comments > Steam Issues Fixed
41. Re: Steam Gets A Pass, Again? Dec 27, 2015, 13:35 HorrorScope

Paranoid Jack wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 12:36:
Anyway, what happens at Steam is the same with any large corporation and/or government entity for the past decade or two.

Act as if nothing has happened.
Start up the spin and damage control.
Create multiple stories none of which are fully true.
Let the smoke and mirrors confuse until the matter becomes a moot point.

Correct. The main goal is to temper liability. Like when a company is found guilty in court, the company never agrees and fully denies publicly afterward. Coming clean and admittance opens up liability. And well since people want to sue on the drop of that hat... this is what you get. It's single humans vs group humans. All humans though, most trying to do their best with what is given.

5602 Comments. 281 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo