Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 4975 (Master)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 22, 2015, 13:02 HorrorScope

Apple can afford it.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 22, 2015, 12:31 HorrorScope

WaltC wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 11:38:
Sadly, I know people who don't blink at spending $500 for a 3d card but who won't spend a dime on an OS, even though the OS is what gives their games and gaming hardware some value. Go figure...;)

Right, they way they look at it, if they could get the HW for free, they would do that as well.

I do know one person close enough to me that won't buy anything MS anymore, doesn't need anything of theirs but the O/S, since most software they use runs under it.

Why do they do this? Because when GFWL was starting up, they needed to buy some points first to buy a game with said points. In GFWL on a PC they went to buy points for the game, they found out they bought X-Box points instead, they don't own a X-Box, GFWL poor re-directing design the culprit. They called MS and they wouldn't refund, there was nothing they could say and that balance would still sits there today. The company had no problem fooling someone and taking $10 for a product they were planning on buying from them, that can be looked at as stealing, really poor ethics for certain.

They swore they'd never buy from them again. So there's one story, right or wrong. I do live by the "who made who" rule, the issue started with their bad software and not refunding an honest mistake, the rest is reactionary from the the original sin. If I recall correctly they told them that square on the phone after it was established they were shit out of luck, something like "Your idiots, now I'm going to get way more out of you then the $10 you took from me". They did.

Right, wrong, whatever, their story.

Otherwise, I do agree buying an O/S every many years is a solid value.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2015, 12:20 HorrorScope

WaltC wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 11:54:
A quick interjection...people are constantly befuddled by the relationship between governments & taxes because they naively believe that government is efficient in spending tax dollars. Tax breaks are good because they give government less money to throw away...

Just this far in I see...

1. Who really thinks in any meaningful % that gov't is efficient at spending tax dollars?

2. Money isn't thrown away, it recycles, if they are over-spending, that means some people are getting more than they should, those people still buy things and it recirculates over and over.

It seems with tax breaks, the issue I see is state vs state, city vs city pitting. If it were just one set rate, that takes leverage out of the equation for business. If that were the steadfast rule business would spring up from those constraints and they'd deal with that and price product accordingly. That is one issue of states and Providences it's like many mini-countries, hard to do business with. The other is one unified country, where one rule fits all. The scare there is dictatorship.

This world can only be so good... your time here is dwindling, enjoy.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2015, 12:13 HorrorScope

Every market of size has the low-end the middle and the top. The low-end goes for cheap high volume, all day, all the time. The high-end never discounts and sells less, tries to add presitge. The middle goes through a progression of start at one point and run sales. This is nothing new, this guy wants to think he's high end, it is all great if you have a product for that. Otherwise the market bears what it does and what is happening makes all the sense in the world. A glutton of new games doesn't help either and there is no shortage of games right now.

I'm sure it has been said, I've bought a lot of under $10 games and haven't played them and won't play several. That is better than zero dollars you would have from me at $20+. I do it for throwing a bone to a developer or genre I like and a game that probably is pretty good, it's call support. There are stats that can be run from their side to see this as well, games bought with less than 2 hours.

This dude can do whatever he thinks is right, the market will speak, if he's a higher cost than the game is good, he'll most likely learn a thing or two.

You think sales #'s are low now? Keep all the prices high and then you'll see what really low numbers are for most. It is tough right now simply because there are so many.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 22, 2015, 12:04 HorrorScope

If you are still buying EA and doubly if it's survival, you can stop your bitching of EA and another survival game. You like them, face it.

Ark sounds a lot like where 7D2D was and perhaps still is. About a year ago they were around $15 million in revenue. Game has been fun for a long time, developer keeps redoing/adding. Someday it will be done, I hope I'm still interested then. I'm sure at finish it will have a few different play modes, but ultimately I'm hoping for something they have now with sort of a State of Decay'ish for their story mode version.

News Comments > Tale of Tales Closing
3. Re: Tale of Tales Closing Jun 21, 2015, 16:08 HorrorScope

Strange, single player game, released, on sale for $10, got nearly 300% from Kickstarter. The deal is it is out and single player. I'd just let the game sit as-is, you can drop it cheaper as well. Lots of competition though and probably a long story behind this.  

News Comments > Anarchy Online Testing New Engine
9. Re: Anarchy Online Testing New Engine Jun 21, 2015, 12:06 HorrorScope

Keith wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 21:12:
Really liked AO back in the day so I downloaded the upgraded engine and took it for a spin. While I don't think graphics are king, this looks like a nasty little troll that someone kicked in the face. To add insult to injury, in order to reminisce with my old characters, Funcom wanted me to hand out $14.99 for a month. Who charges that much anymore? I'm all for rebooting this game, but a graphic update should at least be palatable and the prices should reflect the current market, imo. Good look to them.

Most of the times you can't go back home. $15/mo lol, but that is the price due to those that never moved on, small group paying rent.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
53. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 20, 2015, 18:10 HorrorScope

TIL...

That there is a mod that meshes FO3 and FNV together, you can play each together, moving between both with the same character, all in-game. Awesome sauce, that is now the best FO3/NV version. Large World and a Story.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
14. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 20, 2015, 18:04 HorrorScope

NewMaxx wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 17:45:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 17:36:
I really wanted to invest in this company due to very low stock prices, but I just couldn't get behind any of their offerings as something that would take off. Good? Perhaps, but not good enough. I stayed sidelined, good thing, it dropped even a bit more.

Considered it myself a few times as I'm far clear of any insider trading claims but they never hit all the right notes simultaneously. You're better off with a blue chip that actually performs like a blue chip. AMD is a poor man's blue chip, which in stocks means nobody.

I have all the BC's in mutuals, I then look to lower priced stocks that can double, quadruple quickly, AMD if they could have done something exciting was sitting in that position to make happen. Something really good could have doubled their stock quickly.

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Jun 20, 2015, 18:00 HorrorScope

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 12:42:
"Early Access is the launch, treat it this way"

Been saying this for years, and plenty idiot developers ignored it.

Agreed, they mentioned some will get lucky with two spikes, I think D:OS was one of those.

But this isn't all bad some games have done amazing selling EA, they don't ever need to have another big pop. Mission accomplished already.

My 2+2 watching all these years, I also think you cannot expect a follow up to do as well as the original. You can get a lot of new curious buyers the first go around. Some will love, many will like, some will be ehh and some won't like. The thing is you get the loves and some of the likes next go around. I think many devs assume first game huge success, next will be even bigger when we make an improved sequel to the first. But they are only getting the loves and some of the likes.

I think this is where you start looking at hours played and % finished of the first game to get a proper reading on who is chomping at the bit to buy your sequels.

IMO in very generalized terms games need to be shorter.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Jun 20, 2015, 17:55 HorrorScope

Yes Steam Analysis article is good, easy to read, to the point.

Two main takeways.

The Light Blue/Yell bar chart about games release qty and avg sales, you can see the number of games released in 2014 skyrocketed, saturation is an issue, avg sales per dropped way down.

And this:
"For months Early Access was lauded by developers as having two launch events on Steam&#8202;ó&#8202;one for an incomplete version of the game and the second one for the final version.

Well, Iíve got bad news for you: Every game still has only one launch event and if youíre going to release it in Early Access that date will it be."

Yes, EA is the release, that is why I wonder if several will ever finish, there is no big bump at the end and those that have EA'd, most will be burned out by then. So release is a huge whimper.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 20, 2015, 17:38 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 14:52:
500 Mbps broadband for $55.

Let me guess, with a 5GB cap?

Yeah, right!

11. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 20, 2015, 17:36 HorrorScope

NewMaxx wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 16:37:
I wanted to elaborate on my comment earlier about the top guys being ballsy. I came across as saying they were defiant by making this move early but that's actually not entirely the case. They've been in talks with buyers (again, Samsung primarily) for about a year as I said, so them leaking it means they couldn't get the price they wanted. I stated that "AMD is overvalued" and that's true - however, people invested in the company (including top employees) want to get the most money they can. By leaking it early they are saying that negotiations failed and they are opening it to all bidders. This is good for consumers because transparency is always good, to explain my earlier comments.

I really wanted to invest in this company due to very low stock prices, but I just couldn't get behind any of their offerings as something that would take off. Good? Perhaps, but not good enough. I stayed sidelined, good thing, it dropped even a bit more.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Jun 20, 2015, 16:17 HorrorScope

Whatever they did they weren't able to get Resident Evil HD Remake down to $10, click-fail.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 20, 2015, 16:07 HorrorScope

LOL shows how far the laws lag, still bickering over ripping CD's.  

7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 20, 2015, 16:00 HorrorScope

But I thought all their upcoming stuff was going to be awesome. All they need is unquestioned "best of" and people will come, they weren't over-hyping were they?  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 19, 2015, 22:08 HorrorScope

"But, frankly, a lot of people also want a better value and don't want to have to pay for it. So we're not going to force people to do that. We give people the choice."

Except PC players, no choice for you.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash
37. Re: Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash Jun 19, 2015, 17:12 HorrorScope

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 17:02:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 16:35:
Because all people aren't the same?

That's dangerous thinking there, citizen.

That said, the model for Guild Wars 2 was made clear. Pretty close to the GW1 model. People are whining too much here.

But GW's expansion model was standalone no? The only guy that took a real punch to the gut was guy who last week bought the first thinking they needed the first to get the second, to find out now, when you buy the 2nd you get the first free. They'll live, it was disposable income, they'll make bigger mistakes in their life.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2015, 18:14.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2015, 17:01 HorrorScope

Yes lets come up with the most cockamamie way to play a fucking 360 game on a PC, via a Bone streaming. Who comes up with this shit and thinks they have gold?

Fuck You Microsoft
Fuck You Microsoft
Fuck You Microsoft
Fuck You

In the nicest way since I don't care if you ever make a game that can be played on or streamed to a PC, I need more time, not more games. A feature no one asked for, because if they asked for Xbox games on a PC, they'd want it ported directly to it, not streamed. You think your doing something for PC gamers, imo you mock them by doing this.

Why oh why wouldn't I just play it on the console itself, why oh why would I stream it?

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash
25. Re: Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash Jun 19, 2015, 14:45 HorrorScope

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 14:22:
As it is, the expansion is overpriced. They'd be getting the same or worse reaction even if it didn't include the base game.

They aren't that far into left field how you describe it then. WoW gets the full $50 for their expansion which isn't close to the initial size of the base game and then you still get to pay $15/mo.

It's a mess, people complain all the time about this, Decision 2016, you decide.

4975 Comments. 249 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo