Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 5241 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
37. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 4, 2015, 19:39 HorrorScope

Redmask wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 18:52:
Everything I've read on this subject says you are still in control which is what matters to me. I don't care if MS makes it all on by default as long as I can turn it off. When I lose control, that's a different story.

If you read this tread you would see that is highly in question that turning it off in Home and Pro isn't turning it off it drops it down one notch and that is just one setting. I have no problem waiting to see/hear more on this, but right now it is at least in question.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 4, 2015, 18:44 HorrorScope

Redmask wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 18:16:
Julio wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 17:24:
I doubt those Windows 10 DX12 exclusive games will be here shortly; I can also deal without them, they'll probably arrive for PS4 as well.

Why would you get upset about privacy then load up on a closed console platform where you have no control over anything and literally every aspect of it is uploaded to Sony servers? It strikes me that there are users on the internet who just want to complain about everything even if it goes against something they just said.

I will upgrade to Windows 10 when I'm good and ready but I won't be avoiding it because some internet quarterback wants to pretend to make a stink about something he doesn't even give a shit about in the first place.

One comeback is perhaps one does more personal things on their personal computer vs Sony's game machine.

I get your point and a lot of this has interesting slants to it. But one thing going on here is people want to keep certain rights and privacies and just don't want them blatantly without vote taken away.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials; WoW at 5.6M Subs
4. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials; WoW at 5.6M Subs Aug 4, 2015, 18:27 HorrorScope

Mmo's too many are like LSD. After a while all that is left is a bad trip so people get out.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 4, 2015, 18:10 HorrorScope

Not even in-house privacy! That dude will hate Win10 forever now.  

30. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 4, 2015, 17:51 HorrorScope

Frags4Fun wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 14:37:
Drayth wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 14:29:
There's no annual subscription. The free upgrade is for life on the device that is upgraded.

Then I was misinformed. I apologize.

FWIW that has been somewhat gray since MS won't definitively answer the question without short non-emcompassing answers, not yearly but what does life of device exactly mean? I assure you we know what we think/want it to mean, however may not be case. This isn't to say it won't be, but there is perhaps wiggle room for them since they won't clearly squash it. Honestly it reminds me of a 360 my son once had, there are questions to some settings but things are just to vague, noting online, call no answer. One of my fav was you had to have a credit card on file at least for the fist year or two, not sure if that ever changed.

That said, they don't need to collect cash for the O/S since they must be making as much or more data mining us. That is the catch we now know.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 2015, 18:03.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 4, 2015, 12:43 HorrorScope

Now there is a sector that benefits from a free Windows O/S.  

12. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 4, 2015, 12:28 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 12:09:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 10:40:
I wonder what the enterprise versions does here? A home user may or may not care all that much, but a lot of companies will care and I'd have to think MS knows that and then I think the enterprise version may have greatly reduced tracking.

You are correct. Contrary to Home or Pro, if you set Telemetry to '0' via the registry, Enterprise will actually stop sending any data to MS. Home or Pro will still send data at 'Enhanced' level at the '0' setting.

BTW, I have read of at least one guy who has blocked Microsoft IPs via his router so it shouldn't be too hard to google which IPs those are. It's probably the most effective way to block any spying from happening at the very source level.

In a funny way that is saying Corps have rights where people don't.

It will be like adblocker. Most don't use it, dumb. The same savvy people will be figuring out how to get Enterprise. To MS it doesn't matter too much now since most won't do it, but long term word of mouth could be interesting.

Or do you think we should be setting our routers to block MS IP's? That way I guess it won't matter if data is being sent (assuming no performance loss) it just hits the wall and evaporates.

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 4, 2015, 10:40 HorrorScope

I wonder what the enterprise versions does here? A home user may or may not care all that much, but a lot of companies will care and I'd have to think MS knows that and then I think the enterprise version may have greatly reduced tracking. And if true, then that will be thee version to have.

Totally something to continue to watch, this will all be clear soon enough by IT professionals and published.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 19:18 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 14:04:
While that's true, a country's culture and education level certainly influence how people act. That robot could have been in Japan for decades without someone vandalizing it.

And it could have lasted less than a day if it met with the right person. There is nothing to learn other than if you expect a piece of parts un-manned to make it from coast to coast hitchhiking of all things, chances are it isn't going to make it far and your lucky if you even get to recover any parts.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 3, 2015, 12:50 HorrorScope

PHJF wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 12:19:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 10:18:
Witcher 3 fell off that list. Such an amazing game.

If Steam ever made any effort whatsoever of competitively pricing it, it would sell better. As it stands, a majority of PC players purchased the game elsewhere.

Yes, this is one of those game you are better elsewhere. You can get a DRM Free GoG key for $30'ish, or better known as 1/2 off.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 12:43 HorrorScope

Julio wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 12:27:
ldonyo wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 11:48:
It is quite hard to see how providing free upgrades to Windows is not consumer-friendly.

The reason for the "free" upgrade is to mine your data and sell it without making it easy to opt out. Not consumer friendly in my books. Whether you like or hate Apple, they've specialized in being idiot proof, which Windows is not.

There are plenty of average consumers who need the type of service Best Buy is providing. I'm not one of them, but the need exists.

Julio correct. I am expecting one of two things here with Win10.

1. We truly are a build it up, tear it down, build it up, tear it down society and Win 10 is in the Build it Up phase.

2. Or people are going to wake up here. It could be great, fast, reliable, Win 8 was to vs Win 7. But man no Start Menu (even though you could download a fix faster than you can take a piss) and all hell broke lose with 8. Reading the stuff one should be doing with 10 to make it ready to use, it is much worse, however I grant you it is faster etc than 8. That said I have plenty of speed and reliability with 7 still, so while improvements, it isn't key improvements for me.

I expect to move to 10, but it is interesting how this BS is getting a pass because when I weight the inets words and what is going on, Win 10 should be the one being put over your lap and getting a massive spanking. But see #1, we are in the positive moon cycle.

I need to wait, I can turn shit off, but does it come back on? Or is there still more hidden shit doing its thing we haven't figured out yet.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 12:39 HorrorScope

ldonyo wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 11:48:
Julio wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 11:03:
Good on Best Buy, Microsoft isn't exactly making Windows 10 a consumer friendly OS. Apple they are not.
That's a deplorable move by Best Buy and the world is quite grateful that Microsoft is not Apple! It is quite hard to see how providing free upgrades to Windows is not consumer-friendly.

I think it is a fair option for those that fear or don't know how to handle upgrades. The price is reasonable and shouldn't be expected to be done for free by any company.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 3, 2015, 12:37 HorrorScope

Simon Says wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 10:04:
CORRECTION: "Hitchhiking Robot Lasts Just Two Weeks in US Because US CITIZENS Are Terrible"

It crossed Canada and many European countries including Germany without a scratch. US proving once again how barbaric and savage this country really is.

Trump believes an illegal Mexican raped it.

It was bound to happen and it isn't imo right or wrong that it did happen. Robots like drones put fear and threat into people. There are plenty of articles of job loss, what if "AI" scenario's. And well they don't have rights, I'm a big believer if there was a license you could get to hunt humans there would be a surprising number of people who would apply.

We don't expect good results with people hitchhiking, why would we assume better one's with a robot?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 20:51 HorrorScope

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 18:46:
Everyone talking about how they're better than the shriveled pansy-men who don't shoot

Dreaming of some type of civilization breakdown. But reality will be they will die in a bed of old age hanging on to their last breath. This happened recently and from reports I've heard this man wasn't arrested. He's lucky he's not black or he would have been shot.

Hand on gun AND an AK on the other shoulder.

http://i.imgur.com/knFLjw1.jpg

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 20:48 HorrorScope

Kxmode wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 20:00:
I want nothing to do with them and their zealotry. Any group of gamers willing to put others on their "kill on sight" list is emotionally unstable in my opinion.

If there is a way to identify backers or closer yet those with high-end ships. I'd like to be on the team that goes after them all the time.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 2, 2015, 14:28 HorrorScope

wtf_man too funny. The issue with Win8 was to download and install classic shell, the shit-storm for such an easy fix.

Now everyone is happy joy over win 10 and now we have a dozen other things to do vs 1 in win 8.

1. It does show what a dramatic affect the Start Menu is, it is HUGE!

2. We see why this is given away for free, its a tracking monster. DRM/Tracking advocates must be bouncing off the walls by now.

Then you get to the benefits of it, smaller, faster and the dream of DX12 making a difference someday. The first two to me aren't a big deal, it's not like Win7 is slow and I have plenty of resources. Stability I'm sure for Win7-10 is great. Hopefully DX12 comes through.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 13:48 HorrorScope

"I can't quite put my finger on why we stubbornly make this such a dramatic decision around here."

Lol, true.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 2, 2015, 13:47 HorrorScope

Silicon Avatar wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 13:42:
Seems like a good feature for many, but not all. Here's how to turn it off.

How to turn it off

I set mine to only get updates from MS and my local network.

LOL, the 90's called, they want their "You Can't Back Page" back, another strike. lol

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Aug 2, 2015, 13:45 HorrorScope

heroin wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 12:42:
How is it that on the Steam page this is listed with a "Mostly Positive" outlook when the majority of reviews are a big thumbs down.

You can see the count:
Positive: 6240
Negative: 2630

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 13:43 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 12:39:
That NYC subway video was amazing. And what never ceases to also amaze is how city workers get paid for not working. Look around the 5:12 mark on that video and you see 7 guys standing around watching 2 guys work. And people wonder why it takes forever and costs a fortune to get anything build in a city. They need to start hiring overseers that just constantly patrol and make sure everyone is actually working. If not dock them or send them home. City work is so inefficient and corrupt it's ridiculous.

Cool vid., how can you tell there aren't over-seers in that shot? Those are probably different trades there, one for this, one for that etc and most importantly it is a 5 second shot, you can't really tell jack. Who knows what they were just doing or what they will do next. It is union work, everyone has their very narrow role, it adds up in head count. Fuck these guys deserve it, just above them there are people making millions trading paper.

5241 Comments. 263 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo