Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 3016 (Veteran)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released
124. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 5, 2014, 18:28 HorrorScope

It has been determined this is not a sim, right?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > John Carmack on Leaving id
31. Re: John Carmack on Leaving id Feb 5, 2014, 15:54 HorrorScope

Timmeh wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 21:56:
This site has more clueless douche bags than any other place i visit on the internet.

Seems only average to me, you don't get around the nets much.

I'll say this.. Notch makes one game and makes more money than Caramack and Romero combined for their careers. I don't know what it means, but I guess he's the smartest.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
37. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 5, 2014, 15:51 HorrorScope

Dmitri_M wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:21:
Surprise surprise the rest of the world isn't America or Europe.

I've seen Canada, Spain, Korea, China and others, no problems there.

It's sad that Putin wants to bring back the old cold war bullshit, bully the voting process etc. So I get to smear in his face, "Where the fuck is the we will bury you U.S.S.R of yesteryear? All fucking talk and no do, pathetic. The self absorbed photo's a total insecure joke.", I only say this because in the 2nd-5th grade we had to watch propaganda films on how the Soviets were eating our lunches. Your fucked up ways messed with my childhood, you sucked then and you suck now. It is just what it is. Stop having to tell people what to do and say, accept the criticism it deserves and then and only then will you really be able to turn things around. Ego maniac.

36. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 5, 2014, 15:45 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 14:14:
NegaDeath wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 13:47:
What star rating does a hotel with face melting sink water get?

Judging by the star rating of some of the most incredible shitholes I've stayed in, I'd say Sochi hotels rank a solid 3.5 stars out of 5.

I know you are trying to be funny, but I've stayed in shit holes and they seem more functional that what is being shown here and these are new and part of 50 billion in expenditures.

35. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 5, 2014, 15:43 HorrorScope

Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 13:50:
Jesus, man. I've been to China. Many times. Rural and city. Never had orange water.

Don't give them any ideas or it will come with their orange chicken special next time.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2014, 15:41 HorrorScope

The DK article in the GTA one is interesting.

Son downloaded the demo this morning, looks decent, then you hit rocks areas that take 1 hour, 8 hours, 1 day to breakthrough, well unless you buy Gems to speed thing up.

The article gets into it and how mobile gaming isn't really working. It's like Free broadband mentality vs Cell Contracts mentality both then meet gaming to formulate a pricing strategy.

Since mobile gaming is the new thing, the big idiot corps are trying to put all they've learned ever in monetization into crappy ass casual games and hope we just forget the past and roll with it. Hoping that this is the future. I won't, my wife plays a few, never gave a dime, will never give a dime. Older son smart enough not to even look into it. Younger son, not scared to dabble but quickly see's what is going on here. So when all added up ZERO from my end. But the article goes on about how games get buried and the good ones, simply don't have a place to make a name and things are not profitable.

Quote from a 0 out of 10 article:
"This game would have been wretched whatever it was called but by defiling an existing game like this Ė especially one fans have been waiting for so long to be renewed Ė just makes EAís contempt for their audience all the more obvious. In fact itís not just the gamers they seem to despise itís the very concept of video games themselves.

We were going to refer to Dungeon Keeper as a non-game, but thatís not really accurate. Itís an anti-game. It is purposefully designed not to require thought, skill, or experimentation. Instead it rewards only money and, begrudgingly, patience. If video games had been a part of George Orwellís Nineteen Eighty-Four this would be the only one allowed."

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2014, 18:05.

23. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 5, 2014, 13:34 HorrorScope

Task wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 10:21:
ah boohoo, they don't get luxury hotels in russia, cry me a river man, suck it up, and deal with it.

Luxury? The Circle Jerk Motels in America have more functionality.

And what is with communist countries and photo's of the furor everywhere? Does it always have to go hand in hand? Or is it propaganda media throws at us to make us feel better? Anymore I don't know.

News Comments > Borderlands 2: Headhunter Pack Next Week; April Pack Will be the Last
7. Re: Borderlands 2: Headhunter Pack Next Week; April Pack Will be the Last Feb 5, 2014, 13:13 HorrorScope

Parias wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 12:37:
It's perfectly OK with me - the game is stupid amounts of fun in co-op, and my local LAN circle is waiting for them to finish putting out the next batch of DLC content so we can boot it up yet again for one last blowout.

Yep. To me this is your 2012, 2013, 2014's version of what an ARPG should be now. This is a AAA effort for an ARPG. Most of those other one's are retro imo.

News Comments > Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway
17. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 13:11 HorrorScope

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 12:38:
Uplay is pretty non-invasive after you login the first time, it just automatically launches and runs in the background once you start to play the game. It at least provides some services for Far Cry 3 including the social challenge missions, but you can always choose to run it in offline mode.

Interestingly, when Rocksmith 2014 came out it had the Uplay requirement, but a couple months later it was patched out. None of the online functionality is missing, it still connects to Ubisoft servers with your account for that, but Uplay the app doesn't run anymore. That leads me to believe they're at least willing to listen to people complaining about an unnecessary background process, it's just that it's not so simple to remove in some games.

That is good. You have to think "hey this is our company, we want or own facilities, we don't want to have to rely on or give the entire market to Steam". That is business. So they do, they try, perhaps stepping back on Rocksmith, they now are having some experience and maybe they are seeing UPlay isn't really paying off for the extra development it costs and maybe just Steam or maybe nothing at all is just as good. It's a learning experiment. As said, it doesn't stop me, to me as a gamer though it is redundant and coming out of a game that it has to have an advertising nag screen every time is slightly annoying. It won't stop me from buying, however it brings nothing for me and they haven't got a penny more from me because of this app they made. I say save the dollars in continued support of it and just go Steam or nothing at all.

News Comments > Borderlands 2: Headhunter Pack Next Week; April Pack Will be the Last
5. Re: Borderlands 2: Headhunter Pack Next Week; April Pack Will be the Last Feb 5, 2014, 11:25 HorrorScope

Game had a great run. The out of box content justified the cost, the extra content was your choice if you wanted to buy or not. Not sure what the hang up is here. It's not like all of this would have ever been available if the game never had DLC. This stuff just wouldn't have existed and being a fan of the series I'm glad it did, have a good part of it.  

103. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 5, 2014, 00:23 HorrorScope

Squirmer wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 23:08:
Someone call the Looking Glass, Ion Storm, and Arkane folks, tell 'em they weren't actually making immersive sims after all.

And EA calls their handling models realistic. Immersive yes. Good yes. Sims no. Hell no.

102. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 5, 2014, 00:22 HorrorScope

Jerykk wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 23:42:
Squirmer wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 20:00:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 18:49:
Now this has to be a Stealth Sim?
Considering it's called Thief, yeah. There are very few games that are actually pure stealth in a simulated environment, and it's a fucking crime that Eidos would pass up the opportunity to use this IP and make one. Instead we've got some hybrid abomination of Ass Creed and Dishonored made by people who don't seem to understand or care about what made Thief extraordinary to begin with.

If you don't want to fight, you don't have to fight. There are even difficulty mods that specifically make combat impossible. You can disable takedowns entirely and prohibit yourself from neutralizing anyone (even dogs and birds). You can even have the game trigger a fail state if you're detected or take any damage from any source. If you want a pure stealth experience, the game makes that possible.

Also, you act like the original Thief games were pure stealth. They weren't. You could go around shooting guards in the head with arrows or clubbing them with your Blackjack. Combat has always been an option in the Thief games. It just wasn't been a very good option because the combat sucked and stealth was way more enjoyable. I don't see the new Thief being any different in that regard. Ramp up the difficulty, apply the difficulty mods and voila, you have a genuinely pure stealth experience where combat is impossible and detection is an immediate fail state. You can even turn on iron man mode if you want the consequences of failure to be even more severe.

I'm not sure why I even bother with these arguments anymore. It's the same thing every time, whether it be DX:HR, SC: Blacklist, XCOM: EU or any other game that people shit on before release. Same illogical arguments based on unfounded assumptions and false correlations.

Sounds pretty hard core to me, more so than the originals.

News Comments > EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS
43. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 23:14 HorrorScope

Acleacius wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 22:21:
Maybe I made it sound like I didn't use or appreciate 64 bit? Right, in my experience only hard core gamers or computer system knowledgeable people use or know to get 64 bit. Obviously you guys know there are Win 7 & Win 8 32 bit OS.

I really don't mean to freak you guys out, but there's a whole world out there, who are not consumed by hard core games!

Well good news...

1. A lot of people are getting 64 bit unknowingly and still can possibly play EQN.

2. A lot of those other people in the world can give less than two bits to EQN. So it won't matter if it's 64 bit, 32 bit or 256 bit.

Right or wrong, it's their choice and if I buy it, the game will be better for me using more ram and really I won't miss people who aren't there. So I don't know what the worry is here.

95. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 22:30 HorrorScope

Squirmer wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 22:25:
Wow ok, you just don't have any idea what simulation means.

Lol I say you don't. Flight Sims, Racing Sim, hell even Semi Driving Sims do everything they can to stay sim like. Thief is way way way out of reality, I listed a 1/2 dozen things. It's just a fun game based around stealthy elements.

If you've played one, that game trips out as well in level design, totally un-simlike.

93. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 21:46 HorrorScope

Squirmer wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 21:40:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 20:36:
Calling any Thief a sim is a real stretch.
You know the actual genre is called "immersive sim" right? Do you know anything about these games?

Only played them all. They aren't sim like, for one small example you can carry way more than any person ever could. AI another. There aren't many sim-like games in the FPS world. It's just not a sim. It's an immersive fun sneaker, that is what it is.

In what worlds do water arrows, moss arrows, eye's, various bombs like this exist that it the game is sim'ing in the mid-evil world? How bout them pagans and zombies?

90. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 20:36 HorrorScope

Squirmer wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 20:00:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 18:49:
Now this has to be a Stealth Sim?
Considering it's called Thief, yeah.

Calling any Thief a sim is a real stretch.

News Comments > EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS
36. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 18:51 HorrorScope

Is Soe was to cut off half their customers, it's their call to do so. They are doing the rest of us with 64 bit 4+ gig's a favor. I'd say 32 bit gamer should be thankful they got the years of service they indeed did get. The new consoles as well push this move forward. Few are going to want to do much in the 32 bit world once the consoles hit stride, less small indies.  

83. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 18:49 HorrorScope

Task wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 18:41:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 18:25:
Task wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 18:11:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 17:16:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 16:15:
Sooo, in a stealth game one of the first things he does is set a guy on fire? Cause ya know someone burning to death is not going to alert the entire neighborhood.

Very stealthy, called a diversion.

I know that's sarcasm.

True stealth implies nobody saw you EVER

That example people are referring to, how do the other guards know what happened? All they know is the valve busted and fried their comrade. Would they expect a thief shot the valve with an arrow and burst the guard on fire? I doubt it. So the diversion is stealthy, your cover still unblown.

That sounds like a 12 year old reasoning how a obviously undiversion like mechanic is somehow stealth. Dishonored is not Thief.

How would the guard not notice the arrow in the fucking pipe in a lighted area? That's not true stealth period. What you refer to is defined as "optional stealth." - "a game that encourages stealth, but you don't really have to, just shoot the pipe. The other guards won't call a Detective or even consider Foul Play of their dead guard friend Taffer Joe, its alright, go ahead and do it..."

No Einstein, guards in Thief games are alerted to anyone who is dead or found unconscious and only when they are done 'investigating' foul-play is when your cover is not blown.

Then don't fucking do it and just move along in the shadows. I still stay they'd have their fingers up their butt and I'd be long gone. Now this has to be a Stealth Sim? Like I mentioned in just an earlier post, you just got to roll with some of this or nothing in any game really works. If you can do the mission without killing someone (possibly even no bj'ing)... then it's as stealth as a stealth whore needs it to be. Put in several paths for success and you pretty much have the basic Thief formula.

81. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 18:28 HorrorScope

Quinn wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 18:20:
My state of mind on the game? It's simply not a successor to the Thief franchise; just a new big title that's prolly gonna be allot of fun.

Smart. I've done that with many things in and outside of gaming. Face it this is just corporations trying to make dough off of a familiar name. That doesn't mean it is good or bad, but a name anymore, ehhhh. Try not to get caught up in it.

80. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 18:25 HorrorScope

Task wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 18:11:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 17:16:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 16:15:
Sooo, in a stealth game one of the first things he does is set a guy on fire? Cause ya know someone burning to death is not going to alert the entire neighborhood.

Very stealthy, called a diversion.

I know that's sarcasm.

True stealth implies nobody saw you EVER

That example people are referring to, how do the other guards know what happened? All they know is the valve busted and fried their comrade. Would they expect a thief shot the valve with an arrow and burst the guard on fire? I doubt it. So the diversion is stealthy, your cover still unblown.

3016 Comments. 151 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo