Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 5244 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2015, 18:35 HorrorScope

descender wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 17:56:
Not quite...

The video game "crash" in the 80's was a combination of "system saturation", and "shitware saturation". There were too many consoles on the market in the early 80's without suitable software to sustain them and the Atari 2600 was basically flooding the market with extremely low quality games.

The "crash" itself really centers around 1983. C64 and Apple IIe's were not effected negatively by this crash at all. It actually caused their growth and acceptance as cheaper more versatile options for gamers than the consoles were.

Agreed and it was a console crash and for those reasons. Pc gaming then was very niche, wasn't big enough to have a crash.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2015, 18:28 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 10:07:
Pointless clickbait article is pointless clickbait. Please do not click it. The Escapist is a terrible shithole at the ass-end of the internet.

Figured and didn't click. Whoever leaves.... will be replaced.

Was anyone mentioned in that article that had anything to do with the following games?
Xcom
D:OS
Skylines
GTA3
DA
Witcher
Hand o Fate
Darkest Dungeon
Shadowrun
7D2D
Ark
Cardhunter
PoE
PoET
Valkryia

If not, doesn't affect me.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2015, 18:33.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
12. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 19, 2015, 19:05 HorrorScope

djinn wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 18:46:
I'll admit I gloated when I first heard they released the data (like I'm some sort of angel - yea right), but to be honest the amount of lives this will mess up could be huge. A lot of kids lives potentially. Not sure if it's a good thing that the truth is known in that circumstance, but maybe it helps steer some of those kids in a better direction in future. What a mess.

I'm good, now let me see about my wife.....

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 19, 2015, 19:04 HorrorScope

Frags4Fun wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 14:18:
Verno wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 13:07:
Frags4Fun wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 10:46:
I'm hoping that someone hosts the information in an easily searchable format.

You put yourself in a bit of a quandary here. You're angry and vehement about Microsoft regarding privacy settings in one thread. Meanwhile here you're anxiously hoping for a massive unauthorized leak of personal and private data that risks potential identity theft on a large scale, not to mention includes private financial info. I don't know how someone reconciles that internally, it must require some olympian mental gymnastics to avoid the word hypocrite.

You completely miss the point. It doesn't require any mental gymnastics at all. In fact, your reply exposes your lack of imagination on the subject.

With this data leak, it will serve to raise awareness about the very things that I warn people about (the risk & potential consequences of your private life being exposed via technology). Those people agreed to take a risk with their privacy when they signed up and engaged in such activities and now they're getting burned for it. Unfortunately, most people only learn a lesson after they've been burned once or twice because they failed to exercise that amazing imagination that we are all born with. Or they were warned by people like myself and chose to ignore those warnings. We are conditioned to ignore our own intuition but... well, that's a subject for an entirely different discussion.

There is a high probability that eventually, all of our private information will be at risk from unknown/unforeseen threats and it's best to consider potential risks, no matter how far out in the future those threats may be. I tend to look at things from all possible angles rather than to blindly dive in head first and pray that nothing bad ever happens on the way down. I, like you, also see the benefits of sharing data, but I know how evil some people are and how those types tend to prey on the ignorance of the masses.

How do you fail to see the correlation? I guess that's the difference between you and I. I tend to be more of a creative thinker and I'm assuming that you're more of a logical, show me the proof type of thinker. There's nothing wrong with that. We can both benefit from the other and gain a better understanding if we drop our egos.

Anyways, I'm not trying to create an enemy in you. I actually like you and tend to agree with most of the things that you say from day to day on Bluesnews. I don't just ignore what you say or just shrug it off immediately by default, nor do I take it personally. I tend to analyze what people say and see if maybe I'm wrong. We may find in the future that I was wrong and you are right and that's fine with me. I just want people to consider the potential risks and not go in blind.

This is getting deep... First i was one way, then swayed the other and then back again... Keep it going! It stimulates me.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Lawsuits Settled
12. Re: Duke Nukem Lawsuits Settled Aug 19, 2015, 12:05 HorrorScope

Care level zero.  

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Development Moves In-House
28. Re: Star Citizen FPS Development Moves In-House Aug 18, 2015, 20:35 HorrorScope

nin wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 12:10:
Kajetan wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 12:08:
One day, we will hear what really happened.

Gonna be a hell of a book...

Now that I have pre-ordered.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: Darkest Dungeon Aug 18, 2015, 20:34 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 20:08:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 18:08:
Darkest Dungeon is awesome, not only from an audio and visual standpoint, but it's got great game mechanics as well. Some aspects like continually farming Level 1 teams on low dungeons do exist, but there will probably always be a way to metagame games like this.

Still, I highly recommend it.
I really shy away from early access. Is it mostly complete at this point? I've heard great things about it.

Same. Really the only reason is I have so many I'm playing that now I can just wait to actual final releases. This one is near the top of the list. Nothing but good things. Hand of Fate is another one that is great and is totally released.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
38. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2015, 22:06 HorrorScope

As for aliens...

Why would they care if we would blow ourselves up some? IMO it only makes sense if there were parallel worlds and it would invade on theirs. Not that I believe that, but our bombs are strong vs a small area on Earth, but in a cosmic sense they would be closer to a fart than threatening systems.

Space is so far spread out that unless we can go near speed of light it might just as well be a dream. We will be on this planted for 50,000 years if lucky? Which is a spec of time of the planet, which that is a spec of time to the universe. So imo we do have life elsewhere, but they all get their 50,000 years at various times over billions and billions of years, add in distance, its a real shot in the dark, even finding evidence let alone making contact. We just really weren't meant to...

Wasn't there some classified docs released that said the gov't started going along with UFO stuff to a point, as a cover for their own top secret projects. In was a good way to muddy waters.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2015, 21:58 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 18:07:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 11:27:
Cutter wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 11:10:
Nuclear war not occurring is not a forgone conclusion. My money is that it's still on and sooner rather than later. Probably before 2050. All signs show that as the tipping point for humanity.

So says man since the begging of time.... All signs point to the end of the world. Current Prophecy Win/Loss record: 0 - 100000000000

Deep down, man must want to see themselves expire.

My favorite is the 40-70 year old crowd talking down about their off-spring, lazy etc. News flash your grandfathers said the same thing about you and their grandfathers said the same thing about them. We do the same shit over and over. It's what we do.

No, this is different because the doomsday scenarios you're talking about were based solely on superstition/religious ferver. Basically everything good or bad is somehow attributable to the invisible sky wizard - and still is, sadly, for most people on this planet.

What I'm talking about is predicated on scientific fact. We can quantify a likely doomsday scenario based on the facts. Things have been getting worse since the industrial age began when you look at the totality of the net benefits and detriments of that age unfolding until right now. More recently we've seen things getting demonstrably worse on just about in every way imaginable. Economic inequality, overpopulation,exploitation, the environment, religious ferver and political extremism, international conflict, and most importantly, dwindling natural resources.

With the global population set to double by 2050 and things going the way they are it's not rocket surgery to see something has to give. Either we need global political change for the positive on all those fronts - unlikely. Or it will come to war - the more likely scenario. Why? Because war never changes.

We can mangle ourselves, we cannot wipe ourselves out. That will come from mother nature in time and no one knows when that will be at this time so no reason to be a doomsayer there.

I reckon people thought having 8 billion on earth at one point would be a huge problem, perhaps even a breaking point. We have solutions, it's just that they aren't great monetized ones, yet. I suspect in time if/when that happens, surviving over the dollar will be chosen. But we aren't close to that yet.

You cannot state scientific fact, well unless you can direct me to some links written by various scientists to the point of convincing me.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2015, 21:54 HorrorScope

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 15:33:
nin wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 14:37:
ForgedReality wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 14:33:
Gross. I don't get how people can kiss their animals on the mouth. It's disgusting. It's even worse when people let their nasty dogs lick them all over the face and shit. EUCH! I don't even like my own spit on me, but some mangy mutt that sits around licking its asshole and eating its own shit all day? I'll pass, thanks. I hope that kid didn't come away with scurvy or tuberculosis or some shit. XD

Sounds like you don't need to be a pet owner then.

Oh, I love all my pets. I also don't let them lick my fucking face. They also don't belong on the couch or the bed unless they're a cat, because they're way cleaner. When's the last time you had to give a cat a bath because it was too stinky?

It sounds like you need to groom your dog(s) more. Cats actually pass disease over to humans more frequently than dogs. Cats shed. Depending on dog species a dog may not. Dog size is how I determine if they are allows on furniture or not.

Your responses though are so absolute. As there can't be any other opinion on the matter. FWIW I've had a lot of both over my day and don't agree with you from my experiences.

News Comments > Runic Announces Hob
7. Re: Runic Announces Hob Aug 17, 2015, 21:44 HorrorScope

shihonage wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 21:00:
Hobb's End

Do you read Sutter Cane?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 17, 2015, 21:09 HorrorScope

VR Gaming center... ohh that will kill the movement. I see they are back from the 80's and want to make sure annihilation is complete.  

News Comments > SafeDisc Broken Under Windows 10
10. Re: SafeDisc Broken Under Windows 10 Aug 17, 2015, 19:56 HorrorScope

DangerDog wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 19:05:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 18:07:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 17:58:
Meanwhile, Microsoft scans your Windows 10 system for pirated games so you can't use a cracked version of the .exe to make it work.

Absolutely false.

I don't know about being absolutely false, I don't think anyone knows for certain what MS is doing with the data they're accumulating on scanning peoples files on their computer, there is a lot of FUD around the Windows spying on people but there's also enough evidence to believe it's more than possible they're at the very least doing statistical reporting on piracy. The only software they effectively prevent you from running are pirated copies of their own software like Office if they're detected on the system.

I think that is fair, we know they are getting some data from us, what they are doing with it... well we know some is going to the NSA. Hard to say what exactly when they won't tell you.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2015, 11:27 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 11:10:
Nuclear war not occurring is not a forgone conclusion. My money is that it's still on and sooner rather than later. Probably before 2050. All signs show that as the tipping point for humanity.

So says man since the begging of time.... All signs point to the end of the world. Current Prophecy Win/Loss record: 0 - 100000000000

Deep down, man must want to see themselves expire.

My favorite is the 40-70 year old crowd talking down about their off-spring, lazy etc. News flash your grandfathers said the same thing about you and their grandfathers said the same thing about them. We do the same shit over and over. It's what we do.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 17, 2015, 10:57 HorrorScope

Patrick Stewart... this one busts me up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QzEBMyZsUo

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Aug 15, 2015, 13:58 HorrorScope

US got rid of Asylum in the 70's, too costly. I'd bring them back for everyone's sake.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
9. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 14, 2015, 17:43 HorrorScope

Del Torro, please do one more game... for EA.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools
2. Re: The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools Aug 14, 2015, 10:17 HorrorScope

InBlack wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 09:43:
Oh wow. Im looking forward to some really cool Total Conversion mods for this one in about 12 months time. Can't wait to see what the community will cook up with an engine this gorgeous!

AAA studios, take note. This is how its done!!

I believe at time of release is even better. Even though very popular modding works best when the tools are awesome and immediately available. Almost everyone messes up one of those two things. This one is timing, but since the series is popular it won't be a total fail and it will be interesting to see for sure.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 13, 2015, 23:58 HorrorScope

SlimRam wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 12:34:
  • Crackdown 3 (finally) proves why Microsoft put Xbox One's head in the cloud.

• I played the first one and it was pretty fun but...aren't these guys supposed to be cops? How does destroying the city translate into " Protect and Serve". I can see the news interview with the police chief now...

"Chief, you're officers did 40 billion dollars in damage and cost the lives of at lease 1000 people. How do you respond to these allegations of blatant disregard for human life?"

"Well, we got our man. Now the citizens of this fine town, however many may have survived, can breathe easier knowing this criminal scum is off our decimated streets."

Unfortunately that is probably what happens when we war in other countries and then we wonder why.... But yeah typical game, us good guys when you look at it in full, are worse than what the bad guys did.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2015, 20:23 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 15:29:
    The footballs tonight! Yay!

Unless it is your team, its exciting for about a series.

5244 Comments. 263 pages. Viewing page 3.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo