Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 4443 (Master)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users [Updated]
22. Re: Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users [Updated] Jan 3, 2015, 18:56 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 17:52:
No matter which download server I switched to, I could never get more than ~ 2MB/s. (Checked my company's pipe, and it was basically empty. I was pulling 23MB/s on speed test.)

That is another issue I've had over at my place, I pretty much an only get 2 and I have 100. I do believe I have the Mbps mbs conversion going on, but if I maxed my download I should be getting 10 on steam. Always right around 2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Another Steam Concurrent User Record
15. Re: Another Steam Concurrent User Record Jan 3, 2015, 16:43 HorrorScope

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 15:24:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 11:28:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 09:13:
The amount of profit from WoW is probably the highest in the history of entertainment on any medium. Seriously, I don't think the profit from every deck of cards *ever* sold throughout human history can match what they have done in WoW.

It was for a while, but that LoL does crazy biz now and wouldn't be surprised to find out is has surpassed WoW.

I sincerely doubt that LoL brings in more money on it's free 2 play model than WoW though, I guess I've never seen the numbers for LoL, however.

Go look, buckle up before you do, it is the biggest money maker at this point and has been for a while. There are other players to.

Ah here's a link...
Big Money

10. Re: Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users Jan 3, 2015, 12:50 HorrorScope

Simon Says wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 12:04:
z3razerviper wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 11:51:
Is this just logged in or logged in an playing cause 8 million logged in does not see that impressive.

What he said^^. Cause practically everyone must auto log-on at computer startup, if that is so. The number is utterly laughable. On the other hand, if its people playing at the same time, then that's another matter entirely.

That is a good question... Google says... Logged in, doesn't represent people playing. To note I do not auto-log in on start up. Steam does well, but I do agree that in general it isn't as big as some may think. The Skyrim dealio, always in the Top 10, you'd think it had sold 20 - 50 million on the PC, it is way way under that. So you can use that as a barometer. I'm of the belief in many weeks the top game let alone the rest of the Top 10, sold a much smaller number than what one may believe.

9. Re: Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users Jan 3, 2015, 12:41 HorrorScope

Ravor wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 11:53:
Are we really going to get a new post every time they set a new milestone by 100k?

How about half a mil or something.. ?

Not sure, the last big report on this was last Dec at 7 million. So they din'g 1 more million online at the same time in a year, not terribad and they don't seem to be embarrassed by it.

8. Re: Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users Jan 3, 2015, 12:39 HorrorScope

z3razerviper wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 11:51:
Is this just logged in or logged in an playing cause 8 million logged in does not see that impressive.

It is most likely higher than XBox Live's concurrent record. MS seemed to stop talking about that after 2009, anyone have any news on what their current record is? But when they stop talking about it, to me that means they feel it is under-performing and don't want their investors to know. Point is, if it is bigger than anything else, then I guess it is impressive.

News Comments > Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: "No Finish Line"
44. Re: Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: Jan 3, 2015, 12:30 HorrorScope

Slashman wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 08:52:
Squadron 42 gone to an episodic delivery system (we all know how well that worked out for HL),

Don't limit it to one game, how episodic content had turned out for everyone, even companies that are based solely around that, Telltale. Most are coming to the realization that episodic games are best bought when all episodes are complete. So where dev thinks release is the date of first episode, for others it is the day (couple years later) when the last episode comes out. And hell lets face it, it will then go to seasons as well. Can't win.

We can totally see why he was canned and cannot work in a corporate environment. Doesn't mean he'll fail, but as smart people have said here, we can see how he works and huge money and time sinks will be needed in how he operates to get what people are after. As well as the game has crowdfunded, his aspirations could well be into 200 million and above and we'll he's nowhere near that kind of funding at this time.

43. Re: Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: Jan 3, 2015, 12:04 HorrorScope

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 08:47:
Creston wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 00:32:
I found this interview pretty interesting on PC gamer.

I start by asking if the money raised is enough. Its never enough! he laughs. We scale development according to how much money is coming in. The level of support dictates our level of ambition. This is a huge open-world game where you can go from planet to planet, so we could spend hundreds of millions of dollars on it quite easily.

Wow. That is incredible. I'd say that's the first solid proof I've read indicating this game is in real trouble.

Yep Creston picked out a good blurb of his. Like many games, "we'll have support as long as money keeps coming in" (to a level they are happy with). Even games and devs like Divinity Original Sin, they talked about how wildly successful the game was and support would be strong and long, it's already faded a lot imo, they are now on to two new games with the same engine. Hell and good intentions, right?

I'd say by end of 2016 and if things aren't hopping with this game or with a solid date soon'ish after, then I think the heat should really turn up on it. I'm getting that feeling about the Rift as well to, not exactly the same, but wow if Facebook didn't buy them, they had no way of ever releasing the device, they need to put something out in '15 and get this party started. We understand there will be newer better models in the future.

Then on to games like Day Z, Rust, 7D2D... I play the latter, got way beyond my money's worth, but haven't rec'd a minute of play yet of the "full experience", I would like to have that by no later than 2016.

42. Re: Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: Jan 3, 2015, 11:55 HorrorScope

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 23:33:
BUT SERIOUSLY CHIS ROBERTS IS A SCUM BAG.... He is going to take everyone to the cleaners.

He won't be taking me to the cleaners unless he makes a kick ass game for a fair price at some point.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Issues
13. Re: Elite Dangerous Issues Jan 3, 2015, 11:48 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 22:03:
PHJF wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 21:34:
The gist was the fundamentals are all there and fantastic but all the bells and whistles you really want and need aren't and won't be for a long time yet

Basically what every review echos: great foundation, total lack of content. A recurring theme among early access games is to arbitrarily release 1.0 and then promise "ongoing development".

Exactly. Between that review and comments like Jack's, it sounds like this thing needs another year or two before it'll really be worth playing. Unless you're into drudgery and loneliness in space I suppose.

Right. But too not be so rude, "Unless you are into it" end it there. You see you like Snuggle Truck, this is space truckin with a couple other options that even 18 Wheels Burnin may not have. But I do agree for me overall this is a sit back and wait for more additions and that is normal not just for this game but any game with on-going development. Review and access as it goes along, those that don't do that, fuck'm for not taking the time if they get burned, right? You do it right, research, like I do, so if the don't, they get what is coming.

To those that love it today, God bless, I get it, to some this is heaven in space. I hope it adds enough to it to make it fun for a handful of people coop together.

4. Re: Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users Jan 3, 2015, 11:41 HorrorScope

Day Ja Voo

Here Eye Go Again

13. Re: Another Steam Concurrent User Record Jan 3, 2015, 11:28 HorrorScope

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 09:13:
The amount of profit from WoW is probably the highest in the history of entertainment on any medium. Seriously, I don't think the profit from every deck of cards *ever* sold throughout human history can match what they have done in WoW.

It was for a while, but that LoL does crazy biz now and wouldn't be surprised to find out is has surpassed WoW.

12. Re: Another Steam Concurrent User Record Jan 3, 2015, 11:27 HorrorScope

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 20:17:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 18:29:
Great. But it's also down right now. Fuck DRM. Fuck it good! lol
That's the first time I recall Steam being down to the point that you couldn't even login. Was quite surprised, especially as the sale is now over and demand should have dropped.

It happens imo somewhat regularly, nothing too long 5-10 minutes when it does on my end. You are right there are different levels of severity, but sometimes it seems it gets on a roll and for every evening for a while it goes down for a few minutes for me.

IsSteamDown.com keeps us up to date. Would be interesting if they kept a visible log for us.

8. Re: Another Steam Concurrent User Record Jan 2, 2015, 19:52 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 19:51:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 19:29:
Kosumo wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 19:08:
Is that still lower the the most subsribers that WoW had at it's height? And they where all paying a monthly sub as well. Show how huge WoW got.

I don't think wow ever had 8 million concurrent. Total users I believe is around 65 million.

You believe wrong. Steam passed 100 million "active accounts" (whatever the fuck that is by their definition) in September 2014.

Thanks for update, but point made either way.

6. Re: Another Steam Concurrent User Record Jan 2, 2015, 19:29 HorrorScope

Kosumo wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 19:08:
Is that still lower the the most subsribers that WoW had at it's height? And they where all paying a monthly sub as well. Show how huge WoW got.

I don't think wow ever had 8 million concurrent. Total users I believe is around 65 million.

4. Re: Another Steam Concurrent User Record Jan 2, 2015, 18:29 HorrorScope

Great. But it's also down right now. Fuck DRM. Fuck it good! lol  

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Jan 2, 2015, 17:10 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 16:03:
Most EA games hold zero interest for me, or come across as too ambitious for their budgets or unprofessional or outright scams, so yeah, on the whole I'm still not a fan of them but if it's far enough along and cheap enough, it's not that big a deal. Hell, I've already logged 7 hours with it and that would be $50 at the pub at this rate.

Comes off as wanting it both ways, in this case you don't like EA all that jazz. But then you say you got 7 hours and a bargain with your comparison. Well it's very easy in many EA games to drop 50, 100, 200 hours before going gold. So even if not released and you have that kind of time in it and for a lot of times $25 or less, is that a bargain or not? I've found many EA games worthy, as we sell here, read up, watch some videos, decide. IMO it is case by case and not an overall EA sucks or KS sucks, each game is its own dealio.

News Comments > Not Even One "M" in Square Enix MMOGs
10. Re: Not Even One Jan 2, 2015, 13:47 HorrorScope

Fion wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 12:49:
And yes, an MMOG can be successful and produce revenue without reaching WoW numbers, there are plenty of MMOGs that are successful in their own right.

And if anyone is asking or thinking it cannot, then there wouldn't be a few hundred up and running currently. They still all suck imo, but many must be breaking even or better.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 31, 2014, 17:22 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 16:19:
Not sure why you'd say that. If there were ever an application where curved monitors made sense, it's gaming, since there's only one person using it and they can sit at the perfect viewing angle without concern for others. Curved TVs make much less sense since TV is often a group activity.

I'd for sure be looking more seriously at 21:9 if VR wasn't on the horizon. Not sure the purpose of a curved monitor though, even though I'm close to the screen, I'm not in the curve part of it, if I was, I'd get why. But it would still be all in front of me and then I don't understand. Have to see one in action and yes, be priced to sell.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Google got it wrong. The open-office trend is destroying the workplace. Dec 31, 2014, 17:14 HorrorScope

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 10:06:
A screaming baby on a long flight is about the only thing that tops it. Both evoke a murderous desire within me.

This is the one that gets me. Is it really a problem? Don't you and like everyone these days take a headset? Totally makes whatever anyone else does volume wise "out of the equation". Let cell phones on flights and talk the whole time, I'm in my little world.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 31, 2014, 17:12 HorrorScope

Nothing like paying more for a modem when it's the same old one you had.  

4443 Comments. 223 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo