Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 4624 (Master)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Take-Two Financials
12. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2015, 22:25 HorrorScope

Orogogus wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 22:14:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 21:59:
CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 21:30:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 20:08:
A lot of times when I checked the PC for the past couple years for EA the PC seemed to be just a little under 1/2 the console sales, which is divided by 2 making the 3 platforms relatively equal. No big either way.

Well, check it out right here for EA (scroll down to the penultimate spreadsheet). Based on past sales, their PC (and browser games) total net revenue (GAAP) is estimated to be fluctuating within a pretty close range of 16% to 23% max between Q3/2014 and Q3/2015.
Total consoles revenue is estimated to be within a range of 61% and 71% so the PC sales are more like 1/3 of console sales.

In that I would say then divide consoles by 4 since it is 4 different units, each needing to be programmer for. So sure when one says consoles blow away a pc, that is 4 different consoles, divide it up and the PC in EA's world is equal (many times a bit larger) when divided.

FWIW

I'd expect 3 additional console versions of a game put together require a lot less time and money than 1 PC port, especially given how unhappy people get when a PC port is better in every single way than the console original, but not up to PC master race expectations.

Well it is still 4, anyone can take whatever side they want, I feel it is reasonable to mention that, no bigs. Count the PC as just another console (take the naming out) and then as said, it is right there with any of them singularly. I'm hoping there is a lot more in common between the current gen and the PC vs the older consoles.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2015, 21:59 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 21:30:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 20:08:
A lot of times when I checked the PC for the past couple years for EA the PC seemed to be just a little under 1/2 the console sales, which is divided by 2 making the 3 platforms relatively equal. No big either way.

Well, check it out right here for EA (scroll down to the penultimate spreadsheet). Based on past sales, their PC (and browser games) total net revenue (GAAP) is estimated to be fluctuating within a pretty close range of 16% to 23% max between Q3/2014 and Q3/2015.
Total consoles revenue is estimated to be within a range of 61% and 71% so the PC sales are more like 1/3 of console sales.

In that I would say then divide consoles by 4 since it is 4 different units, each needing to be programmer for. So sure when one says consoles blow away a pc, that is 4 different consoles, divide it up and the PC in EA's world is equal (many times a bit larger) when divided.

FWIW

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 3, 2015, 20:13 HorrorScope

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 19:42:
Ghostery and the mvp host file seems to do well enough.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Adblock edge I was lead to believe takes care of this issue as well.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 3, 2015, 20:08 HorrorScope

AlexSledge wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 19:59:
I almost wish Amazon would buy the whole company. It would be an easy way to get a few brick & mortar locations, while at the same time continuing to support hobby electronics, although the bulk of components would likely work better as special order items (to the store location), freeing up some retail shelving for the pantheon of other Amazon goods.

Some potntial for win.

Funny I was thinking Amazon was buying it for shipping outlets as they venture into delivery. Not sure what their plan is.

8. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2015, 20:08 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 20:01:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 19:41:
Take 2 is even more console centric than the others listed. GTA sells way more on the console, they also get it day one.

Yes, but it's only the "GTA effect". Outside of GTA, they are showing the same roughly 80% vs. 20% revenue distribution in favor of consoles as EA and Ubi. It is, of course, fluctuating a bit for everyone, depending on the quarter and some lesser effects, like a new Anno game for Ubi would increase their PC sales some, for example, and a new Civ would bump up the PC sales for Take2 or a new Sims would give EA's PC sales a boost, but generally all of these big publishers are currently between about 75% and 85% revenue in favor of consoles.

6. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2015, 19:41 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 19:36:
Interesting. Another big publisher following in the Ubi and EA pattern of roughly 80% revenue from consoles and 20% PC and mobile. They've had a quarter with 97%(!) consoles revenue and only 3%(!) revenue from PC and mobile or 93% consoles and 7% PC and mobile for the nine months ended 12/31/13 which must have been due to the GTA V bomb.

Not that I condone it in any way, shape or form but it explains why they're like "fuck the PC gamers". A single console game release towards the end of the year nearly made up 100% of their nine months revenue. It smashed everything else to pieces. Amazing.

It's also interesting that the vast majority of console gamers apparently bought a boxed copy of GTA V as they had 93% physical vs. only 7% digital sales in the quarter GTA V was released.

Take 2 is even more console centric than the others listed. GTA sells way more on the console, they also get it day one. Whenever pc gets it, I get it, hope this is a good port, they've talked a great game to this point.

4. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2015, 19:29 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 19:12:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 18:28:
Holy fucking Crisco on a stick. 45 million copies of GTAV??!

Crisco on a stick? Why would one put Crisco on a stick? And why then would that be so incredulous?

I'll be curious to see what the totes sales are in a year's time.

Add around 1.5 million to the pc side is my guess if it is well optimized.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2015, 19:34.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 3, 2015, 19:06 HorrorScope

garrywong wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 19:01:
This is why I don't use the list that comes with ABP anymore. Neither should others.

Right. They are sort of ransomware to those they block. Brilliant!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 3, 2015, 17:58 HorrorScope

Julio wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 17:38:
Cutter wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 13:40:
Boggles the mind.

Clearly it takes a very talented executive to fire thousands of people. I'm sure there's nobody else who's capable of those great results for a piddly $20 million per year.

Who can even feed a family on $20 million per year anyways

She probably had to pay close to a million for a firm to tell her that as well. Always kills me when management who are in charge of the company has to pay a 3rd party to do their job.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 3, 2015, 17:57 HorrorScope

This to me is looking somewhat promising, they are being tested and failing at every turn. This is how industries do get regulated. Sure the few with power and money will brainwash us to beleive it is bad, waiving red, white and blue. But that is their heart string/scare tactic.

You'd think these companies would learn to know how far they can go before putting on the breaks. Perhaps the money is so large it is worth it for the short windfall.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 3, 2015, 12:06 HorrorScope

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 11:56:
I wonder how big those 4k movies are going to be to stream.

Right, it reminds me of the convo I had with AT&T when I cancelled as they wanted to limit me. That was even many years back now, but I just couldn't get their position, as if they neglect to see the world for where it is going. I told them I plan on using more bandwidth in the future, everyone is gearing that way, so why would you think it be ok to now limit me? We need 25mps minimum, we need unlimited, these futures that are envisioned need more and more.

The reason you need 4k is the reason why we keep moving forward, there is still room for improvement, a need for new sales, so we must allow it. 1080 at 102" still looks great to me, but then we are at TV end game?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 3, 2015, 10:52 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 22:27:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 19:45:
Dish used “small business” discount to save $3 billion at taxpayer expense.
That's sleazy.

Ajit Pai, Repub member of FCC council:
Last year, I warned that @FCC's loosening of small business rules would be disaster. I didn't know I'd be this right.
Interesting that he called this out. Usually Repubs are pro-deregulation.

Seems ever since Dish has announced their Sling, the industry is trying to pile up and kill them for it.

Heh, there's nothing noble about this. He's doing the bidding of his corporate masters at AT&T and Verizon. Damned if they're letting Dish get away with this. I'm guessing we'll see this invalidated and done again with some fines for Dish.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2015, 12:26.

News Comments > Sony Online Entertainment Sold
34. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Sold Feb 2, 2015, 23:29 HorrorScope

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 18:34:
Well, Smed is staying and still in charge, so there's hope for EQ NExt still. He seems pretty positive and says he can't wait to make games for the Xbox One.
http://tinyurl.com/n5pem8l

Can wait to make games for Xbox one... same as the rest if he hasn't noticed.

Mobile is easy to make money in, no one has noticed to develop for that platform.

Question: H1Z1 is getting a wipe shortly, so anyone who has paid for airdrops in alpha (gasp) do you get them back after a wipe? If not talk about even more of a useless waste of money. What is the 411 on this?

News Comments > Sony Online Entertainment Sold
2. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Sold Feb 2, 2015, 13:41 HorrorScope

Interesting to see what this does to H1Z1.  

News Comments > Techland Reconfirms Dying Light Mod Support
5. Re: Techland Reconfirms Dying Light Mod Support Feb 2, 2015, 12:31 HorrorScope

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 12:08:
More than the silly noise is there any way to actually disable the on-screen BLUR effects (blood, water) and the horrible looking lense distortion? It's like the char had a camera lense rammed into his skull.

There is a mod that handles a bunch of gfx tweaks, the one your asking for is on the list.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2015, 11:15 HorrorScope

Really Bill Belichick explained the pass the best, "it is a goal line play, you have to be ready for anything, I wasn't surprised, that is what we do down there". Meaning, perhaps we shouldn't be so shocked, we are far removed from 70's football. They pass anywhere any time, the NE dude made a fantastic break on the ball, he doesn't and the ball was going right to the WR for 6. Ask Byner, he'll fumble you a ball inside the 5 to lose you a big game. TO's can happen, I would have run it, but we've seen this a lot in today's football. Obviously if it scores, no one really questions it, just another quick slant in side the 5 for 6.

By the way, the Dude who int the ball, he was MVP. That was game, set and match and he could have used the car being a undrafted rookie. Without that play, they lose 3 in a row.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 1, 2015, 16:40 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 15:08:
yuastnav wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 15:05:
Jesus, idiots gonna preorder sight unseen. >_>

Beg pardon, Willis, but what is it you are talking about? Surely not GTA5. There's no risk there.

Oh yes there is, like anything. We don't know how it will preform technically. Steam won't run out of keys.

News Comments > SEGA Layoffs
6. Re: SEGA Layoffs Feb 1, 2015, 12:51 HorrorScope

Ant wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 02:35:
So many layoffs these days.

There are a bunch, but is it a down market? I don't think so, there are more games/developers than ever. It is just the bigger boys have a lot more competition to compete, good. They needed the wake up call, it seems many leave with their ideas, execute and make games suits would not consider.

News Comments > Prison Architect Sells 1M
17. Re: Prison Architect Sells 1M Feb 1, 2015, 12:28 HorrorScope

Bard wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 11:06:
I'd like to think people have enough humanity left to be disgusted with this sort of thing - guess not!

Someday we'll read that a mastermind broke out of prison, from playing this game while in prison. That will be "Now I've heard everything" article of the day.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Turns Five
20. Re: Star Trek Online Turns Five Feb 1, 2015, 12:26 HorrorScope

You can take the gameplay out of a mmo, but you can't take the mmo out of the gameplay. Meaning, imo "same as it ever was". I can read miles of mmo changelogs and wala, still pretty much the same thing in gameplay feel, which to me is the issue.  

4624 Comments. 232 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo