Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 4761 (Master)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 23, 2015, 20:53 HorrorScope

PropheT wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 20:34:
The larger the company, the more cliques you'll find. Some were controlled by women, who only hired women. Some were only Indian (pretty common on some of our dev teams), and only hired Indian, but the one constant among all of those is that cronyism was a factor in how people were hired, fired, assigned work, and advanced. We'll just call it "networking" to make it PC, and then it's ok.

Pretty much.

Yeah anyone using hostile to me seems to be over-stating or working at a small shitass. I can't believe too many companies of size put their liable necks out there to tolerate hostile.

PropheT wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 20:34:
"Men need to be the ones that are advocating and pushing for women to rise up, and not just rely on the 1% of women who are already at the top to do it," Sieber said.

It's statements like that that make me think it's not going to get better, either, because nobody seems to recognize the real issue. My last workplace was already hiring underqualified people to fill a demographic and it was makings things worse, not better, as the boys circled the wagons to keep their people close.

Right. It is stupid to think men will just for some reason say "You know, I'll stay here, go ahead, we need to fill in the demographic numbers, that is best for me, you and everyone.". It's crazy to even write a fairy tale like that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 23, 2015, 19:59 HorrorScope

vacs wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 18:08:
What's all this talk about improving boot times? Are you guys booting like 30 times a day that it matters at all?

I boot my computer once a day and I really couldn't care less whether it takes 20 or 30 seconds to see my desktop because I need 60 seconds to get my coffee ready before I start to work on my PC... Seriously guys, first world problems

Right and the guy right above you Mr XP. As good as XP was, you were a lot more inclined to have to reboot it because it is acting up, at any point of the day. That is when boot time mattered. So the talk about boot is almost like too late to a party. Wow great you have a fast boot time, but you no longer really need that.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 23, 2015, 19:42 HorrorScope

I'm sure there is some merit to it all but I've been around the block with this, women in this case also have esteem issues and when it doesn't go their way start digging a bit too deep as to why and it is easy to feel it must be sexism.

But things in the article like:

"lack of a clear career path"

That is far from a sexist thing. Lots of places have that problem. But in many cases it becomes an issue of numbers. It is hard to keep climbing, it doesn't take that many levels before you are an executive and there is just a lot of competition.

Not getting the promotion:
Chou pressed for an explanation, she recalled him saying: "It's just this feeling I have that this person will be able to get stuff done faster than you."

Why can't it be that? Seems reasonable why one person is picked over another. Doesn't sound cheap, getting things done is a huge part of promotion.

I'm sure there are issues, issues are everywhere. But I'm sure some of this is just not being able to accept the intricacies of it all. One thing I've found in a relationship a dude can do the same thing over and over forever (See BN's posters, amiright?), women (generally speaking) don't work in that manner they want new fresh things more often. That is why to keep a girl you need to be up for anything and not a deadbeat. So they want to move up to something new more often lets say... so they get disappointed more when it doesn't happen and get frustrated and then start assuming things, sometimes right, sometimes wrong. The dude just sits back and rolls with it a bit better.

I could be wrong.

News Comments > SteamVR Hardware Reveal Next Week
5. Re: SteamVR Hardware Reveal Next Week Feb 23, 2015, 19:14 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 19:12:
Someone on this forum called it a few weeks ago that Steam would be debuting VR. Congrats to that person.

Was it Steam or was that the Nvidia 5 years in the making bit?

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 23, 2015, 18:03 HorrorScope

Julio wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 17:00:
So Windows 10 really doesn't have anything new to offer me based on that article. Good to know, staying with Win 7 then.

900% faster games?

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 23, 2015, 17:59 HorrorScope

Flo wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 09:38:
I switched to Win 8 right away due to the faster boot times.
Who cares about a few colored tiles when you get SPEED.

With Verno.

I don't reboot (but a few times per year), fastest start-up times ever.

I know people still use that a lot, but really things running well, it's a near meaningless boot times any more. Sleep conserves quite well.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 23, 2015, 17:58 HorrorScope

To me a curved tv and a curved phone are two different ideas. TV curve is what you first expect when you hear the feature. To me only makes sense if you are in the halo of the curve, for example maybe a pc monitor since you are very close to.

In terms of curved phones it isn't the main view that is curved, that is all levels of stupid, can't think of one reason why. But when you see what they mean by curve, it means it give you a new side of functionality vs just a phone frame. Seems like it could have some value.

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit
51. Re: NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit Feb 23, 2015, 17:49 HorrorScope

Yeah the market is really small for 4k right now. 1440P or Ultra-Wides is imo more where the high-end market is at right now. As for this, I have fun playing with nephew on this, he got a 970, so I rib him, even though in reality it is playing very well. But that is how boyz roll.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 23, 2015, 17:45 HorrorScope

Julio wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 17:31:
At least someone realizes it's not the religion of peace. I agree the article lacked a lot of details that would have been helpful.

Religions are a religion of peace if everyone accepts it.

Religions are a religion of war if you go against the will of others willing to fight for it.

Since #1 is impossible, we have billions of people trying to accept impossible as possible and then stupid breaks out trying to do so. Earth isn't heaven, won't be heaven, we know it and we still try to force it. If you want to go chimp level intelligence, here maybe a good place to use it.

Natural law of earth, people are different, any sense of trying to assimilate is fighting nature.

The more you want everything the same, the more you get there, then enjoy being forced to do something you rather not, robot. Google death march, because that is were assimilation leads to.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy
112. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 22, 2015, 21:33 HorrorScope

loomy wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 19:10:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 12:26:
So each time we hear of another feature like "renting", many feel he's already gone overboard a long time ago and the feature is just more weight to the anchor. So that is why you see these comments slant negative.

I think this is a big part of why some people are star citizen haters. they've never seen such transparent development (maybe none of us have) and now they've become power-mad back-seat-drivers. the new-found power of knowing everything as it happens is too much for them to bear, and now they've cracked. they've gone quite mad.

here, relax and watch people enjoy the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP2cNsYQ2pc

I don't think that is it, this openness has been going on now for a while in the Indy scene. The issue is just all the features that kept creeping in and they weren't just fluff, from reading the FPS features, it has FPS features no other game has and those games that is all they are. It's all big promises, but just not a few, but a whole metric shit load. So when the initial pitch was aggressive enough, they just kept tacking on. That's it, I believe.

As one person said and I do agree, with all the teams across the globe they better have tip top management.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
25. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 22, 2015, 19:54 HorrorScope

Quinn wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 18:10:
[
I added the "real thing" to make my point because at least with the real thing every night is different due to the booze and stories you and your friends have to tell. In other words, playing actual cards 9 out of 10 times isn't about playing cards. It's a conduit for socializing, if you will.

You'd think you can only have so many PC cardgames until it gets overly redundant. You'd think..

Well this one seems considerably different enough vs a standard card game. But I think we are at the point where we are getting a lot of games and well most of them are over tracks already paved. So will gamers support or will there be some contraction coming up? I've been thinking that for quite a while now, doubt that I'm alone.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 22, 2015, 18:01 HorrorScope

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 17:46:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 16:49:
Quinn wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 16:47:
Looks to me like another glorified cardgame. I don't get this movement. Either play an actual PC game or get around an actual physical table with some friends xP

Ok with first part, but you ended with that tired angle of "why not just do the real thing?". Well playing cards with another on a PC is still the same thing, it's still the same game and the same rules. No reason to feel one is better than the other. Whatever the peoples like.

Except the idea behind Hand of Fate is that you're creating a third-person action gameplay scenario with the cards you choose or are dealt (not sure how it works, exactly). Good luck pulling that off on an actual physical table!

Oh right specifically about Hand of Fate, but just the general blah blah we get with "why not just do the real thing instead?", weak sauce stuff.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 22, 2015, 16:49 HorrorScope

Quinn wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 16:47:
Looks to me like another glorified cardgame. I don't get this movement. Either play an actual PC game or get around an actual physical table with some friends xP

Ok with first part, but you ended with that tired angle of "why not just do the real thing?". Well playing cards with another on a PC is still the same thing, it's still the same game and the same rules. No reason to feel one is better than the other. Whatever the peoples like.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 22, 2015, 16:41 HorrorScope

In agreement: I haven't seen it, but we do have policies. Now I see people using their power in their position, but that is any place, if they are talking about that, then well welcome to planet Earth, now grow a pair (balls or tits).

From their list:

There are five common types of Office Jerks, according to the No Jerks Allowed folks:

The “Know-it-all”: Nearly 30% percent say this is the most common type of jerk they have to deal with.
The “Bully”: 26% say this is the most common.
The “Complainer”: 21% say this is the most common
The “Brownnoser”: 16% say this is the most common
The “Office Gossip”: 4% say this is the most common.

So now it isn't only bullies but people that just rub you wrong.

The know it all... probably like that because he's around people that don't know what they should, otherwise they'd feel more like peers.

The Bully...

The Complainer... We all are that person to a level, there is a balance that is needed, you can't just be a pure yes man if shit ain't working.

The Brownnoser... Maybe the hardest one to call. Some people are pure ladder climbers. Are they wrong? I can't say they are. Others simply want to do what the boss asks because THAT IS WHAT THEY WERE HIRED TO DO IN THE FIRST PLACE! Love the interview process... "I'll do whatever you want". A month later they have a list of all the things that you are doing wrong.

Office Gossip... In IT I haven't seen it, but ladies are far fewer here. Everything has traits and to me Gossip is more female based from what I've gathered.

Bullying should be fire-able, period. The rest is best read the room and grow some thicker skin.

101. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 22, 2015, 12:26 HorrorScope

Sugarman wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 10:00:
I don't really see it from a perspective that many of you do. If it ends up being the game I've always wanted to play and it is as fun as I hope it will be, then it's not really about the money, it's about my enjoyment. This is something that you can't always easily place monetary value on.

I'm willing to take a chance on it, it's as simple as that. There are some individuals who have pledged 40k so far for the same reason. If it turns out as good as we all hope then many of you will benefit from those of us who've funded SC beyond what most believed was possible.

Nothing like this has been done before, of course there will be many who doubt the possibilities. If it ends up a success then I won't rub it in anyone's face or say "I told you so", but if you're willing to give it a try then I'd invite you to man a station or a turret on my 890 Jump and have some fun, after all, this is what it's all about.

There is so much information to take in right now that it's nigh impossible unless you sat down for two weeks straight and watched every video and read all the information CIG has presented to us, because of this is why I believe there to be such a flock of naysayers. But if you really understood the scope of people behind this project then you'll see there is no way it can fail, far too many with far deeper pockets than me won't let that happen. This is the game they've always wanted to play, and there are plenty who are 40-65 years old who've been waiting on something like this for 20 years.

First I thought this insight of yours was good, I feel lucky where a $5 indy game can give me some enjoyment. I do agree, if it is pulled off, it can give us a new level of detail and immersion we haven't had and maybe it is the beginning of a new era in game design for AAA's at least to achieve, aka the bar has been risen.

That said you give me just so many lessons in history to pull from:

"then you'll see there is no way it can fail"

The Titanic is unsinkable.

I will say, even if you don't want to say it, but if this game is near what it promises, I myself will be ok with "I told you so's" from the supporters. We all win as been said many times.

But there is some history here for people to be concerned about that I think the fan side of this should understand and why it is being used. When he added that feature or two way back that triggered some to thinking "wow he's really promising a lot, getting nervous", just think how many more dozens of big-things they have added since then.

So each time we hear of another feature like "renting", many feel he's already gone overboard a long time ago and the feature is just more weight to the anchor. So that is why you see these comments slant negative.

99. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 22, 2015, 12:15 HorrorScope

KilrathiAce wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 06:59:
This whole thing feels like its gonna turn into a cult like what Scientology is...

And this point that is how it feels to me.

98. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 22, 2015, 12:13 HorrorScope

Scheherazade wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 12:03:
He didn't drop " peons".

Post #68 did, and Sugarman was referring to it

Fair enough, corrected.

97. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 22, 2015, 12:10 HorrorScope

Sugarman wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 06:42:
What is it you really need to get out Julio, were you abused as a child, did your wife leave you?

Not speaking for Julio, but just a young common person these days. You know what happened Sugarman, you know what happened?

Here is the fuck what happened... Read the political posts here for the past couple years works to.

1. Kid/families saddled with college debt.
2. Have a hard time finding full time work much above minimum.
3. All the same time companies doing better than ever.
4. Gutting pensions.
5. Gutting Medical.
6. Doing more job with less people.
And more.

Companies doing better than ever, but at every turn tightening the screws on their workers that are just as important to the whole.

So instead of understanding why people bitch about SC, based around decades old sayings, you go to child abuse and domestic issues. Yeah, you surely know how to take the high road, as you like to portray with your support for SC. You have your own method of bitching like the next person.

94. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 22, 2015, 11:54 HorrorScope

Sugarman wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 06:20:
There's nothing keeping the peons from grouping up on me.

See but not even a few posts after your first and nothing even that pointed towards you, people saying they are ok with you spending whatever you like, good luck. But that is how a forum works, there is nothing keeping people from... If you take an unpopular position, you need to be able to deal with it. It's not like no poster here hasn't been on that side, we all have, deal.

Then you have to drop "peons". See you have money and with that it has gone to your head, you start setting up class scales in your head. (EDIT: Sugar didn't start the Peon wars, he commented from another who used it first)

To me this game right now is no more or less than even the cheapest indy game. It will have a release (well we hope in this case) and then it has the same rules as all the rest. Is it worth the time and money to buy into?

So no matter how much praise or how much bitching there is, to me there is always that moment of "Is it worth a buy?". I question this game to hell and back because it fails on a lot of warnings we've been raised around. I don't like to miss patterns and fall for "it" again. But if it is close to what they tell us, the dude is going to get some serious praise for a long time.

So I'll leave with a positive saying for the game "no guts, no glory".

This comment was edited on Feb 22, 2015, 12:14.

93. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 22, 2015, 11:45 HorrorScope

Sugarman wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 05:33:
Actually I'm in for over $3200. As I've said before, I've spent far more over a weekend in Vegas. Spent twice that on modifications to my current BMW on just a few upgrades. If I tallied up all the money I've spent on fast cars I'd say it's somewhere near 40k right now, and that's only on the upgrades, none of that is for the purchase price of the car.

If it's ok with you I'll continue to spend money on my hobbies that are important to me. If I have it to spend/waste then what business is it of yours to say how I spend it?

Right. But then who are you to tell people that have red flags going up in their heads from past experiences over and over, that they are terrible miserable people that just want to see people fail? To me you go to the extreme on your end as well when you see fit.

To me reading at Blue's there are just a very few that are totally negative to the game and many things here. However the largest group to me seems to be the "fool me once crowd" however if asked they would be very happy to see the game a success. We comment on the news because that is what we do here, that is the MO for the site. Blue lines up, we knock up down, see what passes "the smell test". Then there is final group that takes offense for people speaking out against "their game". We have plenty of positive hands on comments, it seems the one's that work the best are just say it, what about it and let it stand on it's own. When you have to start defending it to the Xth level, that is where it goes south.

This game is fighting a series of sayings we've all learned over generations. "if it seems to good to be true", "sucker born every minute". You see that is what you get when you promise the world, people question that, "been there done it" (yes another saying, they just all fit), but secretly at worst they hope it can be delivered. Until then we "still haven't found what were looking for".

So go spend your $3200, if you got the jack where $3200 is simply discretionary spending, god bless yah. The only thing I'd fantasize about there is exactly how much money would I have to have to drop $3200 on virtual game stuff, but again each their own. Your spending $3200 to me equals no more and probably less than another person who's spent zero, as I have to weight your pro-game position with all that skin you have in it.

4761 Comments. 239 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo