Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 5152 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Batmobile Trailer
14. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Batmobile Trailer Jun 13, 2015, 21:03 HorrorScope

Wow such an amazing effect, how many fps is it going to eat, 15?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jun 13, 2015, 11:54 HorrorScope

Every so often I drive by their HQ's always surprised not to see it covered in egg.

MS is doing right imo, they've lost customers to Apple with shitware aggravating common users.

As for the Gov't worker hack, I like how anything else can be deemed "threat to national security" and the drop of a hat and computers at the highest levels just keep getting hacked over and over and this is no threat to national security that they'll make a stand on and do something real about it, if it means going offline on total private network. It's like no matter how much Skynet (internet) can cause grief, there is no questioning it. So I have to assume that is how it ends and future generations will right in their history books how the fall of Western Civilization was due to shared information. Or a good after school movie.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced
58. Re: Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced Jun 12, 2015, 23:23 HorrorScope

Sepharo wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 22:06:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 10:14:
PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 01:32:
100x this. I have both a DK1 and DK2. Mouse + Keyboard is a pain in the arse when using them as if you take your hands off the keyboard at any time and lose your position then you end up taking the headset off to relocate them.
A controller is a lot easier and the best of current options available. The STEM stuff looks interesting, but it's while off being finished. Obviously haven't tried the Oculus touch peripheral yet.

Your offhand doesn't have to be a keyboard, it could be like a nostromo. Buy I have to assume many can easily put their hand on WASD blindly and I can't believe much anyone looks at their keys while playing. That said, I haven't tried a Rift with a mouse to know for sure, I just wouldn't have a problem with finding buttons to press, it would be the affect of the device, not the finding of the keys.

I don't have a problem finding my keyboard and mouse while using the Rift. But for some of those VR experiences you want to stand up or look around. When you stand up you just feel like a rock keyboardist and when fully turning around you can't use the keyboard and mouse anymore of course, looking over the shoulder is fine though. So a wireless controller would be better in those situations. Unfortunately, as most of us know here first-person games are better with mouse and keyboard than a thumb stick.

Yes, certainly for the full VR effect you need to use new wireless devices.

56. Re: Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced Jun 12, 2015, 15:02 HorrorScope

saluk wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 14:22:
Turning with the controller doesn't work, but if you have a controller and a swivel chair,

Really, unless their new input system was really ready (which it's not), bundling a controller is the most sensible move. It's not at all surprising. Annoying for those who already have it... you can always sell it.

Swivel Chair, yeah that was good for a laugh!

Sensible move is an option to buy without a controller to me.

51. Re: Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced Jun 12, 2015, 10:15 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 02:25:
Lots of people still on Vista.

Gamer % wise, I'd question that.

50. Re: Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced Jun 12, 2015, 10:14 HorrorScope

PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 01:32:
100x this. I have both a DK1 and DK2. Mouse + Keyboard is a pain in the arse when using them as if you take your hands off the keyboard at any time and lose your position then you end up taking the headset off to relocate them.
A controller is a lot easier and the best of current options available. The STEM stuff looks interesting, but it's while off being finished. Obviously haven't tried the Oculus touch peripheral yet.

Your offhand doesn't have to be a keyboard, it could be like a nostromo. Buy I have to assume many can easily put their hand on WASD blindly and I can't believe much anyone looks at their keys while playing. That said, I haven't tried a Rift with a mouse to know for sure, I just wouldn't have a problem with finding buttons to press, it would be the affect of the device, not the finding of the keys.

We're already going to be more awkward in a full first person 3d world (that I'm willing to accept), if we then have to go to a controller to turn around, that is additional less precision than we have today. If this goes too far into awkwardness/lost precision, then it can be at risk of succeeding. In my world the controller turning around is a big deal today, it still will be a big deal in the future I can assure you.

The full VR affect will be nice, but limited in usage time wise. This thing has to work in a sit-down environment and not feel like you are a crab moving around. LE Stick was cool... until you had to use it to move around.

If I'm pretty much forced into using a controller and it functions relatively as sluggish as it does today in the new VR world, I may not be interested. Yes, I do like the mouse for control that much.

35. Re: Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced Jun 12, 2015, 00:10 HorrorScope

Sepharo wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 21:46:
Looks like quite a few here didn't bother to read the article.
The Rift is only for PC.
Xbox One can stream games to Windows 10.
You can play those streaming Xbox One games on Windows 10 looking through your Rift at a "cinema screen".
It's a gimmick. One that doesn't even necessarily require a partnership or anything. I can already look at anything on my PC screen using my Rift and looking at a virtual "cinema screen".

Right.

Question: Then will we be able to buy a rift without the added cost of a game pad?

Oh and FU to MS, supporting PC... streaming xbone games to pc, pfff... Only MS.

How about you port your few exclusive directly to the PC then we won't have to do this second rate method. Oh yeah that's right, you only talk support.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2015, 00:15.

15. Re: Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced Jun 11, 2015, 19:57 HorrorScope

First video from link below, if this is what is considered a standard VR experience, then yah good luck. To me it has to work as a sitting unit w/mouse for it to gain the market share. What is shown there could be cool, but wouldn't be something I'd do for long and seems niche out the yang. If there is a woozy factor with sitting and mouse, someone needs to figure it out. I'm not looking for the total sci-fi VR experience, just a really immersive visual.

Whack Control
I hope she doesn't dislocate her elbow...

I laugh a little more inside each day thinking what if Oculus only had the Kickstarter money?

14. Re: Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced Jun 11, 2015, 19:53 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 19:46:
Win 10 is free only if you're running Win 7 or above.

Oh you mean most everyone that calls pc gaming home.

1. Re: Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced Jun 11, 2015, 18:46 HorrorScope

I'm going to start leaning Cutter's way if they try to push a fucking gamepad on us, VR or no VR if they don't get the point a lot of people are on a PC for input reasons, I don't know when they will.

So now the costs goes up because they are forcing a xbone pad on you, first I have one, second I don't want another.

I don't want a ms xbone one anything.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 10, 2015, 21:47 HorrorScope

I don't know never tried one and when I do, will that be a good one?  

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jun 10, 2015, 11:13 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 10:56:
The mediocre compensation and long hours make it a revolving door industry, you seek management positions quickly or you get GTFO. Unfortunately they have a never ending supply of hopeful young workers to fill the ranks, people who don't have families yet.

And that is why there isn't a continuous build of a game into something great, see EA's yearly releases. New people leading them all the time, inconsistent results.

My youngest is all steam ahead into the gaming job world, I've been warning him for a good 10 years, my requirement, be prepared for something else after gaming. And as I say to him and the internet, you can take your skills to the business world, for more pay, less hours and security. There is no benefit to making a corporate game other than to say "I worked on _______" to anyone that cares. That best be worth a really lot to you.

News Comments > Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian
16. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 9, 2015, 13:58 HorrorScope

I liked PoE, suffering from what all the others have issues with, balance at release. It has become better, the pause after every skill used was in a patch and a godsend to pause based games, totally fixes them for me. As good as the IE's for me, actually better the mechanics are better.  

News Comments > Resident Evil 0 Trailer
2. Re: Resident Evil 0 Trailer Jun 8, 2015, 23:02 HorrorScope

I don't even care that I don't know what in the fuck Resident Evil Zero even means.  

News Comments > Indie Developers on Steam Refunds
55. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 23:02 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 22:22:
I heard that if you've played less than two hours, Steam is refunding even if you've owned it for more than 14 days. Not sure how long that's going to last.

Right because if that were the case, now it gets into your library you've never played yet. For some that can be extensive.

53. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 21:51 HorrorScope

saluk wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 19:35:
Let's do the right thing by consumers, get some data, and then actually adjust the policy based on what actually happens in the real world rather than making giant assumptions and freaking out.

For sure. If it is baaad, they will adjust it. Like duh.

News Comments > Op Ed
43. Re: Op Ed Jun 8, 2015, 21:31 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 15:49:
Backwards compatibility is generally better on the PC,

IMO it is superior, however it is true there are somethings from history that you can't play. But it is easily as good as it gets, not that you are arguing this, but to whatever putz would.

News Comments > Op Ed
42. Re: Op Ed Jun 8, 2015, 21:27 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 14:12:
The problem with SteamOS is more that yeah it can play a bunch of things but you can also just use Steam with Windows and play everything. It's intended for the living room market where Windows as a UI doesn't make a lot of sense. Valve is seeing a lot of potential markets so they're throwing stuff at the wall hoping something will stick, they have a pretty good track record at doing so.

Agreed, but they could have made their own OEM Windows version of steam and have it so perhaps you can get to the rest of windows still, but have it boot up to the Steam Big Picture Interface in full. But right, why have a limited linux version when you can have platform that has everything?

31. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 13:24 HorrorScope

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 13:18:
You guys sit here saying "no one would play thru a good game and return it anyway", apparently having never met The Human Race.

Give us a list of names here that said no one?

There are companies that make bank and return policies way past 14 days/2 hours.

News Comments > Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions
30. Re: Amazon's Big PC Game Ambitions Jun 8, 2015, 13:14 HorrorScope

gravity wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 09:39:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 00:05:
No they do not profit like that and it's been really hit and miss lately.

Last 5 net incomes: http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Amazon.com_%28AMZN%29/Data/Income_Statement

WHOA! Horror, what's with that 'Other Income' in 2015? -5.65 BILLION!? I see their Operating Income, as well being in the opposite direction... but what's with the huge shift from the previous four quarters?!

Looks like it is how they reported costs. When did they write off the Amazon phone losses? But notice R&D/SG&A costs are zero or way down in '15 vs previous years, note Other Income went straight south in '15 with barely an end. But add those the 3 together and total costs are more in line q2q/yoy.

LoL has ~ a billion in sales yearly, not sure profits are public, but I'd have to think those are many hundred million per year. Amazon -300 million over past year. So as I mentioned you could have one game, one game, out-do the entirety of Amazon P&L wise. Now take out everything else Amazon and just talk warehouse/eCommerce as I stated, also known as their less profitable stuff even though that is what what they are known for... it's pretty funny to me any way.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2015, 13:20.

5152 Comments. 258 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo