Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 3016 (Veteran)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2014, 12:15 HorrorScope

Water is a very fast renewable resource. And if you live in the city it is collected, treated and reused faster yet. Love the scare tactic of "using too much water", it all gets back out of you and reused through the eco system. Exception is drought area's but most of the population of the US do not live in a drought area. But even those places if it's a city, it is controlled via water management.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 11, 2014, 11:56 HorrorScope

The location for the Internet Service they reference is Boston. Really they only have one choice? I live in a town of 20,000, 10 miles of open unsettled land between the next cities East or West and nothing North and South. And I have 3 choices, 1 main one and two smaller companies. I choose a smaller one, basic reason no data cap. But locations like Boston really don't have smaller company options? I thought there was also a law a % of resources must be able to be bought in bulk for the purpose of resale and that is what I have in my small town. ???

I did a quick search, it seems like there are many options. Or for some reason does this article only assume people have to use the big names? If so it's already limited, there are only a few real big ones.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 11:46 HorrorScope

"Microsoft's Azure cloud servers responsible for Titanfall's in-game AI, freeing up processing power for "more detailed graphics". "

It would be nice to get some real details on what exactly does Azure do for the game, to general server control to then the details in which they talk about off loading computational tasks to the cloud vs local computing.

When they say something like the AI Bots being handled by the Cloud vs local, is that really special? Isn't that like a mmo? Each player has their character they control, but AI is pretty much handled on the servers end and just then displayed on our screen? So it's trying to make something standard, sound like something really new. And for a game like this it makes sense (although nothing mmo's haven't done all along). I recall this was also to affect single player games, in which that doesn't make sense.

So Sony's mmo's for the PS4 also have the power of the cloud.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released
20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released Mar 11, 2014, 11:31 HorrorScope

007Bistromath wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 10:30:
I uninstalled it for Titanfall. This game is awesome. Buy it now before they fuck it up.

Sounds like a thick selling pitch and then it ends with a perplexing statement. Not sure what to think. I wonder if they should adopt it for their dvertising campaign.

"Titanfall our awesome new game you won't want to miss. Buy it now, before we fuck it up! It's inevitable."

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $40M
10. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 10, 2014, 23:40 HorrorScope

{PH}88fingers wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 22:42:
where did you get that 100k/year?

I heard wingman saying he took a paycut just to be part of this game.

I don't think they are paying these guys huge salaries. You can be sure those guys down in Monterrey Mexico aren't touching anywhere near that amount.

Can't speak for the Mexican's. But then I hope those not making 100K are getting profit sharing then. 50k avg? Then we can bring in all the extra cost beyond salaries.

59. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2014, 22:33 HorrorScope

Beamer wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 20:31:
Go to Bestbuy.com and try to find a PC without integrated graphics. Every PC on their first page has integrated graphics, and graphics aren't even one of their bullet points until you click into the product.
Go to Amazon and look at their best selling desktops. Only 1 of the top 20 has a dedicated GPU, and it's a GeForce GT 610, a $40 card that can't run anything.

Many here just aren't in touch with reality.

I think we are in touch, if you take all the pc's as a whole gaming is a drop in the bucket. Always have always will. They are going to be what they are at BB because they want them as cheap as possible because most buying won't be for games and a gamer with an ounce knows they have to simply put in a video card in those now and be done with it, so still very simple.

Was at BB yesterday, they now have a PC Gaming Isle, where it used to be games, it is now input devices. Honestly they have to have at least 25 different types of gaming headsets, never seen so many.

I think gamers would love the choice of yearly 100% compatible updates. It's a choice, those with Star Citizen money will upgrade every year (See Apple to) and those that are more frugal maybe once every two or 3 years. But I'd have a hard time thinking if there were a Xbox 361, that offered better frames and AA on without penalty that would have excited the gaming base.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
5. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 10, 2014, 22:22 HorrorScope

jimnms wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 22:02:
I watched some footage of the beta last week and it looks like crap, graphically

Must have a bad feed, the games gfx are very nice.

News Comments > The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II Next Month
9. Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II Next Month Mar 10, 2014, 22:21 HorrorScope

To me ARPG's are all pretty similar if you are just talking PvE and Coop. I like them for what they are, they all seem very similar to me. So I go cheap. Van Helsing was good and cheap.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $40M
7. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 10, 2014, 22:19 HorrorScope

41 million
212 devs
100k/year

They have 2 years before the are out 41 million. And really less because it costs more than just payroll.

42. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2014, 17:50 HorrorScope

Julio wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 17:46:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 13:10:
Sony/MS should look at making one compatible system between them (split royalties 50%) and upgrade it but also keep 100% functionality, possibly yearly or bi-yearly updates. I'd also say add k/m support, but then I'm just dreaming...

That's not going to happen, as MS is taking a beating from PS4. Not really sure on the incentive for Sony when they can take the whole pie.

That is very short term sighted. MS has money, Sony is in a tight place right now. It could tilt, next gen could tilt. But if things stay relatively close, it seems smarter for everyone to just come together. They basically made the same systems and released them proprietorially. MS has the money to bleed for a long time, so whatever imbalance there is today in Sony's favor, MS can weather that bit. So there is a reason for Sony to partner.

Hey they won't and really no one will be better off for it. Just more cost for all the players.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
20. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 10, 2014, 17:38 HorrorScope

Beamer wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 15:57:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 14:07:
Beamer wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 02:16:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 01:53:
What kind of performance breakthrough is coming to a tablet and what software is needing it?

You mean aside from running Crysis 4?

How about having a full OS? Easily accepting mouse and keyboard as inputs when necessary, as well as multiple monitors

That's good and that is what it will take for me to upgrade the tablet. When do we think this is coming? Say a Tablet that is as powerful as a $1000 pc today.

What I do see a lot more of in business is the all in one Monitor/PC. That is like a giant tablet, but still called a PC.

At 10"'s under I'm not sure how much I see that as my hardcore gaming unit, no matter what power and I'm poised towards Rift as the next step. Ok, another thing I could see is a tablet running the Rift, which means a very high-end pc today. So when that tablet has that power and runs a rift... Then I'm definitely interested. I'm talking the power of a Tablet running 4K gfx at 60 FPS in 3D. I thinking I'm at least two more PC cycle upgrades before we get there.

As powerful as a $1000 laptop?
It'll be a while. That's the price point where GPUs start impacting performance positively.

As powerful as a $700 laptop?
We already have the Surface Pro 2. Here's a very recent review I'm linking to not for the content but because it's apparently written by a magician.

edit - actually, Newegg only has one laptop with specs comparable to the Surface Pro 2 for under $1000. The rest are $1000 to $2000. Which makes them seem very overpriced. Must be build quality, I'd guess. I'm not paying $1000 for HD4000.

I've bought two Christmas (2011 & 2012) sale Laptops for $750 with I5 Quads and Nvidia GFX cards. So if you look and wait, you can come down with a good piece of HW. But if you don't know what to look for, yeah you'll get crap video for sure.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2014, 17:14 HorrorScope

1badmf wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 15:37:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 14:54:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 14:15:
I'm not particularly supportive of US military action in Ukraine either. However, I would say your analogy isn't quite correct since Ukraine has been an independent country since getting out from underneath the Soviet thumb in the early 1990s.

I didn't state a time in my analogy. Say Texas left the union and in 2030 a good portion of Texans and the US wanted to all be back together.

you missed his point completely. texas seceding would be an internal US matter just like the civil war was and we have a right to handle it on our own. UKR/russia is completely different since that involves two sovereign nations, one invading the other. so your analogy is completely irrelevant.

But prior to the Ukraine leaving weren't they not part of the Iron Curtain? I assume if Texas was to go alone, it would then become it's own sovereign nation, what else can it be if it left? Then 20 years later, 50% want to come back and the US would love them back to.

My bottom line point is, I don't get how it's my kids debt with two other countries battling it out and it isn't threatening the balance of the world.

38. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2014, 17:11 HorrorScope

Beamer wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 16:47:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 16:41:
Beamer wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 16:07:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 15:30:
Beamer wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 15:23:
the PC bar these days is hd4000

Not for what we are talking about.

Yup, but look at what the GPU most console owners have. Those are the people that everyone keeps claiming will magically discover the convoluted world of PC gaming hardware.

Hey if they can't figure it out, oh well, I hope they never get a hobby, because they won't have the proper drive for it.

I suppose another real reason why perhaps the 360 is sticking around longer is their friends on live. That's a big . deal. All the more how these companies spending millions don't have vision. Once they wrapped the whole social thing in, they needed to stay backwards compatible more than ever. Now console gens have a splintering affect they never had.

There are different aspects to hobbies. I know guys that have cars that live to work on them. I know other guys that have cars that just want to drive and hate the maintenance aspect.

Some people, probably the vast majority, just want to game, nothing more.

Fine and I'm not talking about them. If they can't figure out what is now very basic entry level stuff to pc gaming and has no one to teach them. So be it. Not what I'm getting at in my replies.

36. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2014, 16:41 HorrorScope

Beamer wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 16:07:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 15:30:

Yup, but look at what the GPU most console owners have. Those are the people that everyone keeps claiming will magically discover the convoluted world of PC gaming hardware.

Hey if they can't figure it out, oh well, I hope they never get a hobby, because they won't have the proper drive for it.

I suppose another real reason why perhaps the 360 is sticking around longer is their friends on live. That's a big . deal. All the more how these companies spending millions don't have vision. Once they wrapped the whole social thing in, they needed to stay backwards compatible more than ever. Now console gens have a splintering affect they never had.

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2014, 15:30 HorrorScope

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers for Titanfall
7. Re: New GeForce Drivers for Titanfall Mar 10, 2014, 15:21 HorrorScope

Fantaz wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 15:04:
interesting...

Where it does fail, it fails because of the ways that games in general have changed in the last fifteen years. The notion of the shooter as a MMOish 'service' manifests in ugly ways: the lack of LAN or offline support of any kind, the high price tag, the inevitable season pass. You can form a party with your friends and queue for games, but you can't create your own private lobbies or dedicated servers. You can't even queue to play a specific map on a specific gamemode - you can choose to play Capture The Flag, for example, but you've got no say on where you end up doing it. These issues are not necessarily dealbreakers,

For many those cost will be deal breakers, when hasn't it? There are a lot of options for PvP that are much less expensive.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2014, 17:13.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2014, 14:54 HorrorScope

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 14:15:
I'm not particularly supportive of US military action in Ukraine either. However, I would say your analogy isn't quite correct since Ukraine has been an independent country since getting out from underneath the Soviet thumb in the early 1990s.

I didn't state a time in my analogy. Say Texas left the union and in 2030 a good portion of Texans and the US wanted to all be back together.

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2014, 14:40 HorrorScope

Scheherazade wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 14:11:
Every time I read "This is the first generation where a new console comes out and is slower than the contemporary PCs" ... I want to face-palm.

Just because back when earlier consoles came out, current-time article authors only had experience with their parent's as-cheap-as-possible-crap-machines with 58 internet explorer toolbars, and 224 background processes, does not mean that back then 'good' PCs were slower than consoles.

I had [iirc] 6800 SLI at the time xbox 360 came out. My friends would try out my games and were floored by how great it looked compared to their consoles.

xbox1 was in the gf3/9700pro time range. Same story.

The only time console ever blew away PC, was back before vesa came out with in place buffer shifting (which finally enabled side-scrollers on PC).

I'm not gonna make the price argument - a half decent PC has always cost more than a console. A good one costs a lot more.

-scheherazade
You shouldn't when the 360 came out it was the equal of a nice $1000 PC. Not everyone has those. However you could have a better PC.

Fast forward to now, I already have a better PC by far and that wasn't the case then it was pretty close for me 360 vs my PC's. The Bone is about a $600 PC now and really you wouldn't build a PC today that would be better than a Bone, no SLI needed at all.

I feel it is safe to say in general that this Gen is lower than the avg gaming pc, more so than in the past. And there were some points along the way, that the console was better than any PC at any price, the PC had to release new HW to catch up.

Thank God for 8 gigs.

News Comments > Morning Previews
7. Re: Morning Previews Mar 10, 2014, 14:32 HorrorScope

harlock wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 11:23:
Fion wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 10:03:
I still haven't finished Witcher 1, let alone 2. I'm trying but it's an older title with lots of little quirks. I'm half tempted to just watch a video summary and move on to Witcher 2.

2 is 100x better

I liked 1 better. So mileage will vary.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
18. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 10, 2014, 14:07 HorrorScope

Beamer wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 02:16:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 01:53:
What kind of performance breakthrough is coming to a tablet and what software is needing it?

You mean aside from running Crysis 4?

How about having a full OS? Easily accepting mouse and keyboard as inputs when necessary, as well as multiple monitors

That's good and that is what it will take for me to upgrade the tablet. When do we think this is coming? Say a Tablet that is as powerful as a $1000 pc today.

What I do see a lot more of in business is the all in one Monitor/PC. That is like a giant tablet, but still called a PC.

At 10"'s under I'm not sure how much I see that as my hardcore gaming unit, no matter what power and I'm poised towards Rift as the next step. Ok, another thing I could see is a tablet running the Rift, which means a very high-end pc today. So when that tablet has that power and runs a rift... Then I'm definitely interested. I'm talking the power of a Tablet running 4K gfx at 60 FPS in 3D. I thinking I'm at least two more PC cycle upgrades before we get there.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2014, 14:14.

3016 Comments. 151 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo