Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 3018 (Veteran)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 11, 2014, 23:59 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 21:45:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 19:32:
More good Rift news. We heard Valve wowed people recently with what they've been working on, even more so than the Rift. Valve also mentioned they want to help the cause. This seems like doing that and putting the best of both tech together. Good to hear.

You think this is an intentional move by Valve, and not a headhunt by Oculus? It sounded more like the guy quit Valve and went to Oculus to me.

At one of the latest game conferences is seemed Valve and Rift had a lot of complimentary comments for one another and instead of competing they wanted to work together or the sorts. This seems "or the sorts". The goal was the best possible VR delivered to the market.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More Elder Scroll Online Invites
15. Re: More Elder Scroll Online Invites Mar 11, 2014, 23:40 HorrorScope

Asmo wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 23:16:
The other thing I've heard is that the storyline, NPC interactivity etc all pick up significantly at lvl 12-15ish and the game get's a whole lot more fun. What sort of marketing scheme is that??

Whatever it is that no longer works with me. Game better be good from level 1. Too many options out there and too many broken promises of "it gets better _____." Seemingly always ahead of where you are at.

10. Re: More Elder Scroll Online Invites Mar 11, 2014, 22:31 HorrorScope

PropheT wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 22:13:
Panickd wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 20:32:
Just wandering around the continent is more fun than actually playing the game or progressing.

To be fair, that's largely true of all the Elder Scrolls games.

My son and I came to the same conclusion when playing last beta, though, on that same point; the game is more fun when there's no one else around. We did have some fun with it, but a high population area rapidly hits the point where it's just not worth fighting the crowds to do things.

Agree. I don't mind some public dungeons. But to me a ton of instance group only Skyrim quality and play of said dungeons would have made it a for sure buy for me. The phasing is a big issue, but that should have never happened to begin with, so their fixing something that should have been happening. But when they made so many dungeons public, it really took the part of a Coop Skyrim I dream about away.

8. Re: More Elder Scroll Online Invites Mar 11, 2014, 22:26 HorrorScope

wtf_man wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 20:44:
W the addition of collision detection on mobs/npcs, FOV slider, skip-able starter areas, and working on phasing solutions to keep you with your group... they are doing an awesome job, IMO of listening to the complaints and trying to address them ASAP.

Thanks for that list of fixes, FOV was needed and the Phasing issue. Maybe I'll check it out this weekend.

How about quest markers? I'm not talking general, but there are several quests to go find something and they put a marker right on it, quite the find! At least a good sized circle, now they did this with somethings but not all things, hopefully that is being cleaned up.

News Comments > Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio
30. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 11, 2014, 22:06 HorrorScope

Well if they are saying 35 gigs of audio and it isn't that, then it must be they are hiding something and I can't help it's something more to spy on me.

Sure HD's are cheap, but 50 gigs for an install is still more than nothing for me.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $40M
39. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 21:06 HorrorScope

panbient wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 15:13:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 13:10:
If you can make games... and you are making $15 an hour. Be like Gary, he has now made two games at more than 30 million in revenue each. If you can make games why settle for money a waitress can make more at? You have a mad skill. You are skilled labor.

Congratulations on getting really lucky.

This bit reads like the same crap my aunts throw at me when they wonder why I didn't invent facebook or google because I could make HTML pages back in the day... Garry got VERY lucky. Why didn't you make Flappy Bird?

By 'business development' do you mean middle management or actually entrepreneurship and starting your own company? In which case not everyone has access to the venture capital to get a business started nor are there always the available talent pools to staff the endeavor. Same as not everyone has the stomach or political acumen necessary for middle management.

You also don't seem to want to consider the fact that the developer asking for $100k a year will be reminded that they can easily be replaced by 3 juniors for 10k less than their desired salary who will be willing to put the overtime crunch necessary to accomplish the same results. How many developers working beneath you are making 6 figure salaries?

I will agree that it feels exploitative and like you're living a very bad joke. It's probably why I've quit it again. The industry is only getting busier, not better.

If you have skills and are willing to move, jobs are out there. Effort really looking and finding a match is probably the hardest part. I have the ability to meet a lot of customers each day, overall I probably get 3 offers a year which really isn't a lot, but it's one of those things they see what you can do and they know you and they have needs and it's costly. But if they pursue a little harder, I then tell them a rough ballpark amount on what it would take and they are still listening, but I'm not really for hire. I simply like what I do, but if that dries up, I know where I'll be going... I also see in these visits, companies they contract to do programming work for them, no one is under $200 an hour any more and around $100+ for general pc maint/networking work. Now if you work for a company that consults you out, you won't get the full $200 but you will still get a big enough part of that pie plus a per diem to live like a king if it involves traveling. Then if you were to be a full time hire for someone... again if you got the skill and can prove it, there are good paying jobs. (I will surrender there are people out there low balling to, I say to that only take something like that as entry level for exp. I had 13 years EXP before it paid off with a real winner.)

If you can write apps from the ground up, you have a skill, you just need to find those wanting it. You're as lost as they are trying to find you, that means you just got to look harder.

As for Gary, he didn't get lucky he had a good idea and did it. Flappy Birds got lucky. But we can scale it back, there are a number of Indy Games that those behind it are making good money. But again, game making is a lot of work (The Main Reason I didn't make Angy Birds, even though that game looks like something simple to do, who knew that would sell?). I'm out of game programming for all practical purposes (When I was doing it was the early 80's), I do have something started semi-recently, but I figured 1 full year of 5 to midnight and mayyyybe I could complete it, but that is a lot of time, for something I don't have to have. Flappy and Papers Please make me think sometimes I have to rethink, but what I've ever thought of doing was something I wanted to play, not what is something with a hook that is super simple to do... I'm not a pure capitalist.

But if you can develop business style apps from scratch people are wanting you.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2014, 21:11.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
33. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2014, 20:11 HorrorScope

Pigeon wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 14:27:
Grass lawns are nice, but a bitch to maintain in areas prone to drought and long very hot summers. Its one of those ideas we've imported from England that isn't very practical in large parts of our country.

Living in OH and CA I can say in CA where I have no rain from April to October, my lawn has been in much better shape than in OH. One is one a sprinkler timer, the other lawn rolled the dice with weather. Sometimes it was all burnt out, sometimes is was so tall, but the rain wouldn't stop to cut it. In CA it's always green and around 3" high. It is far from a bitch, sure if it didn't have sprinklers it would be nothing but dead grass and dirt.

News Comments > Game Reviews
33. Re: Game Reviews Mar 11, 2014, 20:04 HorrorScope

robdot wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 16:01:

I sold my ps3 when i got my ps4 and xbox one. The kids wanted to play the stick of truth so i thought i would just get it for my laptop. It was then i discovered how hard it is to buy, install, and play a pc game. You cant just go buy a disc, install it then play.I was gonna download from amazon, but didnt wanna mess with steam , and didnt understand what it meant when it said i can access my game from their libray, so screw it. Its just not worth it.

You get to decide what you want or not. But just saying, downloading and using Steam, in the long run after a 2 minute download and 2 minute install and a 5 minute sign up, that using Steam to buy & install games is a LOT EASIER than going to the store, and all that. UNLESS you are on dial-up.

But the whole PC industry is thriving, 10's of millions use Digital Download Services now, it is completely accepted and you've concluded "not worth it". Ok.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Mar 11, 2014, 19:57 HorrorScope

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 19:25:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 19:24:
Yes! TOW TRUCK SIMULATOR!!! At least he's driving on the right side of the road!
I was going to say he isn't even driving on the right side of the road ffs! What kind of a simulator is this?!

LOL. We just settled it. Every driving simulator needs a toggle for roadside.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 11, 2014, 19:32 HorrorScope

More good Rift news. We heard Valve wowed people recently with what they've been working on, even more so than the Rift. Valve also mentioned they want to help the cause. This seems like doing that and putting the best of both tech together. Good to hear.

D3D to OGL Wrapper.... interesting, very interesting...

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2014, 19:42.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Mar 11, 2014, 19:24 HorrorScope

Yes! TOW TRUCK SIMULATOR!!! At least he's driving on the right side of the road!  

1. Re: More Elder Scroll Online Invites Mar 11, 2014, 19:20 HorrorScope

I just want to believe people are smarter then being lured by a Monkey Pet.

So this beta has no new content like the last didn't? If so, am I reading this right? Perhaps due to low turnout last time they weren't able to stress the system as much as they wanted. So this time they are asking us nicely to help stress and giving us a Monkey?

News Comments > Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio
1. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 11, 2014, 19:17 HorrorScope

That's fuckin brilliant. We have 7 ways of sunday to compress audio and this time they don't. I feel a patch coming on.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
38. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 19:15 HorrorScope

Panickd wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 14:23:
I am sure some brilliant game designer somewhere is going to come up with an idea that will absolutely require a cloud

As being said here, they are just confusing shit that already had names with the wondrous name "Cloud". The brilliant designers that have Company Run Dedicated Servers (CeRDS's why not) are still doing the same things but the platform has been rebranded to the user friendly name "Cloud". Titanfall is using the power of the server to manage the online parts a secured game needs, like any other game using dedicated servers, like all mmo's. So there is power that the cloud is doing, it is, but it's nothing new at all. But they word it like they are giving you something new, it's just PR hype, you've been had by a PR dept. Don't worry you are not the first.

I have to sit through our CIO wowing crowds with Cloud talk, which I know underneath all that is the same old servers, with some old and new apps being served to the users. That serving is now called "Cloud", ohhhh. It is still servers and clients, how much you use of each is always variable.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released
62. Re: Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released Mar 11, 2014, 17:17 HorrorScope

Bundy wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 14:09:
My son loves his DS. There's some pokemon game on it that he thinks is the best thing ever. It crashes on him constantly. I remember seeing plenty of bugs on console games, way back with the SMS and Genesis and, let's also not pretend that those SNES and Intellivision (yes, I went there) are anywhere near as complex as these monsters today.

The funniest bug I ever seen was on a EA Baseball game back on the PS2. You could play up to 8 I believe and each could pick a player, all on one team or dived up.

This game got so confused when you went past two players, one on each team. It reminded me about the part in the movie Funny Farm where the wife reads the novel and in the first few pages reads several flashbacks, flashforwards and what she believed was a falshsideways. I'd sometime be on the "other" team controlling someone else, oops. And one time I was the pitcher and the batter at the same time! Funny as hell, pissed me off though to, we were planning on a summer league using this. Total ass broken.

News Comments > Game Reviews
19. Re: Game Reviews Mar 11, 2014, 14:11 HorrorScope

robdot wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 14:04:
While pc gamers are constantly raving about the resurgence of pc gaming, i tried to buy the stick of truth today but could not find one. No one carrys software anymore. Wal mart, meijers, and two gamestops , didnt have one, for pc. I live in a city of 30000 people and there is nowhere to actually buy this game for pc.

I can assure you the resurgence didn't happen at Retail Brick and Mortar. There in fact the PC Died a horrible death, but from the ashes...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2014, 13:44 HorrorScope

Blue wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 13:18:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 12:15:
Water is a very fast renewable resource. And if you live in the city it is collected, treated and reused faster yet. Love the scare tactic of "using too much water", it all gets back out of you and reused through the eco system. Exception is drought area's but most of the population of the US do not live in a drought area. But even those places if it's a city, it is controlled via water management.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/ - Note the "L"s in the dry areas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drought_in_the_United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%932012_Southern_United_States_drought
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012-2013_North_American_drought

And notice that most of that isn't where the majoirty of the population is. The west and soutwest is a lot more open nothing than anything else.

And in places like CA where population is higher, it has always been low in rain when it's good and it's been working for 100 years. When you live in the west this is constant. But some of the best farming in the world happens there. Notice that large central area of California in an exceptional drought, it takes extreme extreme drought to have an effect like this year, but at best when it's good it stall falls well within drought of your first link. But the modern miracles of science and irrigation water goes a long way. It's better growing because it's all controlled. In the summer April-Sept even when rain is at normal... there is ZERO rain during this time, ZERO. So farmers know exactly what the weather will be like for the entire growing season. Sunny all day with controlled irrigation. Large bountiful harvests because it's like growing in your house, totally predictable. Back East, weather is unpredictable, too much or too little rain, not as irrigated.

So that's the farmers take. This year has been tighter for sure and it's showing signs. But I don't see nothing that won't bounce back, you have random extremes in yearly weather. This winter was a very odd one country wide.

But moving on to people in the cities, it has been discussed some, a couple locations have talked conservatism, talked about sprinkler schedules. I'm not sure why people were watering the lawn in the winter when grass becomes dormant. But even in the worst we've seen in quite a while, it's been surprisingly lite talk about conservatism as a whole, with shades of "we might have to start provisioning if it doesn't get better", that was all 3 weeks ago as rain has finally started kicking in. But take out this year... and there has been zero talk of sizable water issues. So I wouldn't base "American's use too much water" based on one year in CA. (Only speaking of CA)

But in my town, it's all water management, it all goes to the sewer, back to the plant and back out. We also import our bottled water from Jersey. So we replenish that way. lol But the mayor has not put out any provisioning at all. So if it is that bad, why is it not happening? Because science.

This doesn't mean there aren't spots in the country that are exceptions to this. But I'm in a very dry area and we make it work without much a sweat.

Edit: Looking at the next post that shows Folsom lake. That is one lake that if you take that as a basis it looks really bad. But again that lake can look bad and things can still be fine. It was low last summer for sure, but there were no reported issues of short water supply in full. Then having a very dry winter, the lake looks even worse and it is affecting some area's, but looking at that lake without living here you would think we were in dire straights, that just isn't the case. That lake is man-made and without researching it's history, to me seems like it can vary wildly and not be an overall barometer for the regions water table. Lake Beryessa while down (they all are) is still enjoyed by recreation and fisherman alike, there aren't many lakes in CA. The mountain ranges also play a huge part in the whole area's water table, which means we get a lot more mileage out of 1" water than a place without mountains.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2014, 13:57.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
22. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 13:26 HorrorScope

Panickd wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 12:55:
EA is already talking up how the Titanfall sequel probably won't be an Xbox One exclusive because they thought Microsoft was just going to stomp Sony in the Next Gen beauty pageant and that didn't happen. So that right there tells you how "absolutely essential" the cloud is to the game.

It because their "cloud" means Company Owned Server needed for MP gaming. Which is totally nothing new.

35. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 13:10 HorrorScope

panbient wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 11:28:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 23:40:
Can't speak for the Mexican's. But then I hope those not making 100K are getting profit sharing then. 50k avg? Then we can bring in all the extra cost beyond salaries.

Man I WISH I had managed to work in whatever magical dreamland of development you envision. The average is closer to $30-40k / year. Especially for unproven / fresh talent. Which is EASY to find when there are so many people desperate for legitimate 'industry experience'.

Really though... 100k / year as an average for a video game developer? WOW... just wow.

Then let me help you out then, it's a bigger wow being exploited. Stop making games and get into business development. If you know what you are doing you'll soon be at 100K and going north routinely. You will work in a better environment, more security and all that comes with a better job. The only "crunch time" (generally) is go live, being on-deck to make sure things go smoothly. I say this, because that is my story.

That is also how I raised my boys, "they want to make games", fine get good enough to do that and you can then easily fall back to business development and make more and have a real quality of life. If you then want to make a game, start something small and indy once you are all settled in.

To anyone. If you can program games and you are American and you are well under a 100K you are being exploited. You have engineer type qualities and bean counters above you that can work word and excel (whoopi) making more $$$ than you and can't do "Hello World" to save their lives. Stop being exploited, only exception is if it is your first gig and you want to get some experience. Get 3 years in, bounce jobs (preferred to move to biz dev) a few times to get some nice bumps in pay.

This reply is based on my life.

Being a developer for $15 an hour... Joke. Bad Joke.

It is nice to be reminded I live in Dreamland, quite a few people here with me to.

If you can make games... and you are making $15 an hour. Be like Gary, he has now made two games at more than 30 million in revenue each. If you can make games why settle for money a waitress can make more at? You have a mad skill. You are skilled labor.

34. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 12:59 HorrorScope

loomy wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 00:44:
you idiot fucks who criticize this game

there has never been a game doing this crazy combination of things

you're expected to shut up and wait, not hate.

Those that sound negative to you are living under the adage "If it sounds to good to be true it usually is". If that's hate so be it, prove us wrong. We want to be proven wrong. We win by being wrong. We only seen the signs if we are proven right.

3018 Comments. 151 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo