Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 4013 (Master)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
225. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 13:18 HorrorScope

Lord Tea wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 10:38:
Killcrit wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 08:07:
All this nonsense is solvable. It's simple. Don't fund kickstarters. It all goes back to the expression, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Alas, I have to agree. Apparently I was very lucky with the only two games I backed, Wasteland 2 and Battle Worlds: Kronos. Both delivered what they promised, and without DRM.

The E:D(RM) disaster definitely hurts the idea of crowdfunding.

I don't agree. Every person has their reasons why the do things. There are still a lot of people that are fine with this, their choice. And the game isn't made without it. So in their world they are getting something they wouldn't have and they are happy. So to say just don't do it, that's no good. I've played too many good games now through the process that it has a reason. The smart move is to research and don't spend something you can't afford. The End.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

160. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 21:41 HorrorScope

Eirikrautha wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 21:01:
Darn it! I was going to buy this at launch. Not happening now.

Oh, and for the "this-doesn't-affect-you shills," I'll speak slowly and use small words, so you'll be sure to understand:

See, it's my money. I decide what I purchase. I decide what "affects" me and what doesn't. So if I like the idea that a game doesn't require always-on internet, it doesn't matter if I have a T-1 or a string-and-cup for communication. If always-on is OK with me, I'll spend MY money. If I don't, I won't spend MY money.

You know if someone has that point it's a few. That really isn't the point. You are right and I doubt anyone gets in your way on what you decide either way. This doesn't change nothing for me, I didn't KS and I don't care about being online or not, because I'm not in Iran and if my inet is down, rarely, I have 250 other options for games let alone gasp something outside of gaming. My question about the game is what all is there to do? But that is me, you are you when it comes to the bottom line. We bitch because it was mentioned one way, people invested and to enough it is a big deal in connectivity and/or principal.

But you do with what you want with your money...

136. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 19:29 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 18:48:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 18:15:
Steam w/DRM has open a new golden age of PC gaming. So even with DRM, the service has flourished, giving us more for less. I prefer none, but if that means 50% of gaming goes away then if it isn't intrusive, I can deal with it, I have. Starforce and GFWL are the only one's I've ever really had to put some effort into because of problems and see the market weeds them out, working.

Steam also has an offline mode which doesn't require you to connect to the internet at all. I have gone months in offline mode. Very different from the E:D situation.

Right. I got off on a secondary conversation.

111. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 18:15 HorrorScope

Julio wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 18:03:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 17:17:
You have in your head that DRM anything is bad

So how is DRM good?

Sure, those that make products or services wouldn't do so without it.

Steam would have had a hard sell early on to get developers to use it if it were an open file sharing application.

But life isn't black or white like that. If it isn't good it must then be bad and vice versa. I just get it, both ends and sleep like a dead baby. So what I accept is something that doesn't cause a headache for me, business people have their reasons and offer their services with a set of conditions. If we want to be literal, EULA's have to drive some people up the wall because of what those state. I click right by them, aka don't sweat the small stuff. If something becomes an issue I'll put my time in that then and if a pattern, we'll have time then at Blue's to hammer the shit out of it.

Steam w/DRM has open a new golden age of PC gaming. So even with DRM, the service has flourished, giving us more for less. I prefer none, but if that means 50% of gaming goes away then if it isn't intrusive, I can deal with it, I have. Starforce and GFWL are the only one's I've ever really had to put some effort into because of problems and see the market weeds them out, working.

92. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 17:22 HorrorScope

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 17:05:
If you never played games during the 90's you probably wouldn't get why older gamers hate DRM so much.

Dude I started with the Atari 2600 first version. I started programming on an Atari 800 in the early 80's with PM graphics. There was no universal opinion of DRM then either, like we had some old-timers code.

I do know people liked to make computer clubs to copy games out the yang.

90. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 17:17 HorrorScope

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 17:05:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 17:00:
That doesn't fit why I use it.

And you are one of the ignorant bastards I'm talking about, steam has single handedly ruined things like level editing and game modification

WTF are you talking about? I do it all the time with Steam or how about this to... not all games go through Steam.

Here is my picture of you, you have something like autism, you are so focused on DRM, I can never focus on anything like you do, you live and breath it, it's a mission of sorts for you. You have in your head that DRM anything is bad, it's all worst case, even if it hasn't happened, it could and if it can happen then we must assume it will happen. There is no reasoning with you, because of your disease, which I don't hold it against you, it is who you are and we must be open to accept everyone. But you can't accept others have a differing opinion that they can list good things on what it has brought us.

You tried to in a couple paragraphs tell all those that use Steam, they have been wrong all along and have basically ruined gaming. Drama Queen much? It's going on many years now, I have more games, better games, less cost, because of Steam. Millions share my view, so we are wrong because we got more, better and for less. And we are wrong because a fictionally DRM Doomsday could happen and because it can, we should assume it will and thus we should run from it. Here let me Slippery Slope Doomsday you... we shouldn't play electronic games because someday electricity may not happen and since that could happen, we should assume it will and thus we shouldn't get ourselves wrapped in something we could lose. Since I don't have a personal electric company to supply my own power, then I rely on these companies that could go belly up and be stuck with my thumb up my butt.

Trees from forest dude. You can hate it, but you shouldn't tell us we are wrong for liking it, especially since big keys that do matter, more, better and for less have all happened using it.

BOO!

86. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 17:00 HorrorScope

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 16:54:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 14:46:
People are perfectly okay with Steam DRM but come out screaming with pitchforks when anyone else implements it.

Steam trojan horsed it's way to success on the back of half-life/CS let's remember, valve infected the game with that shit and since videogamers are not within a block or two of valve HQ they got away with it. Markets only work if the buyer and seller are within a few blocks of one another, otherwise corruption and nonsense expands.

Steam got the new generation of gamers and kids who were tech illiterate. People now use steam because they don't have a choice and the DRM hating gamers are outnumbered by the mouthbreathing masses but are still a sizable market (see: Good old games).

That doesn't fit why I use it.

It is very shallow to say that is all that Steam has done for gamers, add a layer of DRM to our games.

One I don't live in fear of DRM and because some do, it doesn't make us others wrong. Steam has made gaming cheaper and more accessible to me by far and I go all the way back. It wasn't a sellout to me using it, it's been a boon for me.

Going to a brick and mortar store and paying retail was zero picnic in my world.

I will not slippery slope DRM into some kind of world that has been painful for me to game in. It for me has been a non-issue with Steam. It doesn't live imo in the worst case scenario world you want to describe it does. Starforce... that was going to a bad place.

84. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 16:56 HorrorScope

What we continue to find is AAA's and Indies do not feel there is a market for a SP Space Fighting sim. I questioned it then and I question it now. There was always a fair market for it. These new one's slant online, so they still aren't quite what the request has been. There have been a couple other failed online space sims over the past 10.  

82. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 16:53 HorrorScope

ASeven wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 15:12:
Also, according to the forums, refunds are on a case-by-case basis, so refunds are NOT guaranteed.

So how does that work?

"I bought the game for single player offline that this game sold itself on and now it doesn't have it. I would like a refund."

Refunded.

"I bought the game for single player offline that this game sold itself on and now it doesn't have it. I would like a refund."

Denied.

Or is it the best story in under 400 words that gets the refund? What is the criteria for a refund. The reason people are asking is because of no SP Offline that was promised, refund please. It gets more complicated then that? How can one person get it with that and another person cannot? Yet another shit storm.

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Nov 16, 2014, 10:43 HorrorScope

JohnBirshire wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 10:15:
I have been playing RPG's for 30 years, crafting was non existent in 90% of them. Not sure I agree with that sentiment.

That said you don't have to do it, I did little. But I wouldn't poo poo the feature as many like doing it. Game could have been balanced better to needing to. Overall game was too easy, once you get the gist of it, Crowd Control was over-powering.

The article still misses the boat in many ways. There is plenty of skills and progression. Too much. There are reasons sometimes where being able to dabble in everything is too much of a good thing. To me all the different skills, you should be able to put one point in all, but only more than one point in 3. In the end you have characters with so many same skills, it's overpowering which goes back to the easy part.

Great game, still room for improvement. Whatever they do next with this engine as good as D:OS is, I expect the next one to be their BG2.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 16, 2014, 10:34 HorrorScope

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 05:03:
There is only 1 fatal flaw in your theory, for that to ever happen, you'd need someone at the TOP of MS that has an actual clue what is going on in gaming right now. That understands what steam is and does and that understands what developers would really like, and what customers would really like.

Right, I believe I allude to them missing the boat, but if they did realize this even today, which we know they won't, but if they did, could the ship still be turned this late? I'm saying it is possible theoretically, with a lot of crow eating for sure, but yeah pipe dream.

Instead of making 5-15% clear on all PC games as a MS Steam Type app, they get zero. Now they get the costs of running an entire HW gaming division. Paying millions for exclusives that they wouldn't have had to. They would have simply needed to have a dept run a solid game facilitating system and the servers to do so. Perhaps make a quality peripheral now and then. And turn a profit with it all.

Missed vision. There move was to stay PC, they failed with GFWL and gave up, that isn't how you do it. You make the shit right. Just sayin it could have been different, we could have had pretty much everyone in one gaming client basket. I can't blame ubi or ea or whoever that is a big dog not wanting to pay Steams costs, it I were in charge I'd probably come to the same conclusion. It needed to be an O/S-base type of marketplace.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2014, 10:40.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
10. Re: Saturday Consolidation Nov 15, 2014, 23:28 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2014, 21:57:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 15, 2014, 20:54:
Got a message from Sony yesterday. Black friday deal, 500 Gig PS4, GTA5, Last of Us $399.

If true, that's a pretty sweet deal. Sony's got to do something, as MS's current promotions are damn good.

Perhaps, but I can buy a better GTA5 soon for $50 and still save $350, tax and most likely another peripheral or two.

I'll just live life as if Last of Us doesn't exist.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Preloads
34. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Preloads Nov 15, 2014, 15:33 HorrorScope

Slick wrote on Nov 15, 2014, 12:27:
The heaps of gameplay videos aren't going to show me how it runs on my system though, and that's half the battle with pc gaming.

That is no battle if you have a decent rig and things like AC Unity, you get to see it and hear it on the feeds that it's a hog, so beware. I have to agree, there is plenty of vids these days to make the choice without having to pirate.

PC gaming is easy today.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 15, 2014, 13:54 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Nov 15, 2014, 13:04:
1badmf wrote on Nov 15, 2014, 12:42:
a small pat on the back to MS for being successful by actually making and selling products that help our society rather than printing money by raping the planet. but only a small one.

With all the high profile failures and missteps (XB1, Surface, Win 8) it's surprising they've risen this high. Must be nice having a near monopoly on PC OS and office productivity software.

Because all their money is in Biz Pc's. If only they created a Steam-like front themselves (that didn't suck GFWL) and ask for a much smaller cut so everyone would have jumped on. We'd have one interface and they would make plenty of cash off everyone's licensing, with no additional HW/Dept costs of XBox, pure profit vs money pit. You wonder if there is a way to still do it, now Gabe would sell fear saying "Walled garden, run to Linux, it's a trick", but really they don't have to trick the game here to make $. If Gabe could get the big publishers in Steam with a much more reasonable cut, that would help us all. There is really only one company that could do it, but they can't see forest from trees.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 15, 2014, 13:46 HorrorScope

It comes down to this with the o/s's. The only reason we like windows on our pc's is a business level features or our software catalog requires it today.

But when you take those two things out and go with new and fresh software, iOS and Android are way better because they don't have a shit load of legacy code that is required to keep compatibility and there level of business design isn't as deep. It runs faster.

Perhaps MS needs to start thinking of a new O/S and treat it like 32/64. Make a total new o/s from the ground up, but then have a few versions of windows that have both the old and new guts for compatibility and over time all new stuff is designed with the new guts and eventually the 30 year old core can be retired. Otherwise it seems they will just get further behind.

Domino's: Watch or phone, what's the difference. Can I call Robot with the watch, that is what Johnny wants to know.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds
9. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds Nov 15, 2014, 13:35 HorrorScope

I knew they shouldn't had used the Unity engine.

Now we know why Jade left the company.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Preloads
28. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Preloads Nov 15, 2014, 10:36 HorrorScope

1badmf wrote on Nov 15, 2014, 02:14:
early reviews are promising, in the B+/A- region.

That means nothing, DA2 right?

What is different is we know we have a massive world, their biggest world ever in any game they made. Huge plus.

Tactics are in. That was a big whine of DA2. Plus.

Those two alone were really imo the main complaints of DA2 and many loved DAO and I haven't seen any negatives this game has to DAO, just see more pluses.

So everything is pointing up, I still wait at least a few days, not sure how you guys get through so many games so fast. Guessing you play them a little and then jones for the next. I still have a hard time finishing what I have and still have a saturation of games.

I am very excited long term with Bioware using Frostbite, sorely needed.

News Comments > Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released
21. Re: Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released Nov 15, 2014, 10:25 HorrorScope

Now we need Scott Adams Adventures ported to the pc.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
22. Re: Things IT people never say Nov 14, 2014, 20:41 HorrorScope

Prez wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 15:57:
My only wish is that they just not cap the framerate on the PC version. We are just going to remove the cap anyway via a tweak or fix anyway.

Right. They don't need to cap it, we will if we choose to. Stop treating us like console gamers, we know the ropes.

News Comments > Grass Simulator Early Access
13. Re: Grass Simulator Early Access Nov 14, 2014, 16:04 HorrorScope

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 10:34:
Prez wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 10:29:
Is this supposed to be clever or something?
Have you watched the video? It will just make you even more confused. Guns and cows and disco lights?
Whatever these guys were smoking I need some!

There's some deep dimensional shit there, need grass for grass.

4013 Comments. 201 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo