Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 5606 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Rock Band VR Announced
3. Re: Rock Band VR Announced Dec 4, 2015, 20:51 HorrorScope

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 20:30:
with a first-person perspective of your guitar, which incongruously (or authentically) has plastic controller buttons.

Ugh, lol, I guess they did that because some people actually look down at the buttons... There are only five of them, it's not that hard to navigate by touch!

Ah, well, I've long since moved on to Rocksmith.

LOL how about because you'll feel like you are on-stage. By doing this you won't be able to look at your actual hand.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Trailer; Arena Commander Free Demo
34. Re: Star Citizen Trailer; Arena Commander Free Demo Dec 4, 2015, 17:56 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 17:05:
Oh really? You do realize that you are accusing Christ Roberts Himself of "mediocre trolling" then, right?
Because it was Christ Roberts Himself the Almighty who blurted out

Ahh, he's being accused by many on levels much greater than trolling.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues
43. Re: Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues Dec 4, 2015, 13:45 HorrorScope

PHJF wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 10:27:
4K + max settings isn't currently a feasible goal. nvidia Pascal purportedly launching in Q2 2016 has a good chance of changing that. Until then, 4K is just a buzzword. And don't forget Oculus is about to release; I'd much rather see adoption and support for VR tech than another pretty arbitrary resolution jump.

Si!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2015, 13:32 HorrorScope

Guy did good making it to 48. To be a rocker I reckon you have to have a tormented soul.  

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Patch Status
16. Re: Just Cause 3 Patch Status Dec 3, 2015, 18:27 HorrorScope

This game forevermore will have a low "mixed" steam score due to release day.  

News Comments > GOG.com Winter Sale
31. Re: GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 3, 2015, 18:23 HorrorScope

Jivaro wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 10:42:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 17:00:
Jivaro wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 14:46:
So far all I picked up was Outlaws and Shadow Warrior 2013. 2.39 for Outlaws is great and 3.99 for Shadow Warrior is worth it.

You know what made these games great in a GOG way? When there wasn't anything else to play. There were years you'd only get a small handful of games you'd want and like, that is where length mattered. Outlaws is great if there wasn't anything else good out there now. In my world, there is more good out there than time. Would I rather play a newer game like Hand of Fate? or AAA? AA? or Indy? All these games, to me today are better than Outlaws all things considered.

See..I agree that there is more good games than time, I disagree on where Outlaws (and other games like it) fits into that though. It's a subjective thing though. It sounds like I spend much more of my gaming time on older games than you do. I have a backlog too, but only because of my gaming habits. I play my older games over again frequently, I just finished HoMM 3 again for example. I play sports games on my console throughout the accompanying sports season, so right now I am setting aside time for Madden and NBA2K. I play a MMO, which everyone knows eats time. When I buy a game like Skyrim, which Steam says I have put over 600 hours into, anything I buy during that time is going to inevitably go in the backlog. I own Witcher 3 and haven't even gotten to it yet. The result is that I don't buy a lot of new games anymore. Even when I do, I am only happy with them about 33% of the time. So many of them are just soulless despite their technological superiority. I could have not bought Fallout 4 or Battlefront and the only thing that would be different is that I wouldn't be as disappointed as I am in both titles. As for today's indy development...I have played very few truly indy games that I connected with. I have tried, but there just hasn't been much that impressed or entertained me.

Now, I could bitch about how the industry is horrible today or that the mainstream has ruined gaming or blah blah blah....or I could just recognize that everything changes and if I liked the older games more than the newer games maybe that's what I should be spending my time on. So that's what I do. Turns out I am a happier gamer that way.

Right, but reading that I'd play Witcher 3 over Outlaws again. That said, I say it in general to the audience, I don't see a shortage of games that I need to go back and play old games nor stay too long in a new one.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
49. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 3, 2015, 18:19 HorrorScope

Peter M. Smith wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 14:21:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 11:23:
That is not uncommon. So why update from a system I can have run for a year without rebooting. To one I now have issues with, even if it is just a couple. Zero > A Couple?

How are you running your system for a year without rebooting? Are you actively ignoring updates?

Yes. If it works what update I'm I needing?

46. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 3, 2015, 11:39 HorrorScope

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 11:36:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 11:10:

File Histroy - I use Search Everything, I assume it is somewhat similar but something tells me Search Everything blows File History away still. MS artificially slows certain tasks down. No factor.

It's a backup system which creates a versioned timeline of all of your files. It's like version control but for your user files as a whole rather than just git or svn repositories. It's very easy to use too: just put a cheap NAS on your home network and point File History to the NAS drive. If you tend to work on particular files over an extended period of time, it allows you to refer back to earlier revisions, see how things changed over time, etc. It doesn't support branches sadly, but the bottom line is that it takes backups from being a necessary evil to guard against drive failure, to also being a version control system for your work integrated directly into the file system.

Thanks for explanation. I won't argue if someone has specific needs like this. We do know there are apps for that as well, but if you are needing version control in your O/S you have unique needs vs the general populace.

43. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 3, 2015, 11:32 HorrorScope

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 10:32:
PHJF wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 10:11:
With Mission Control, I effectively have different workflow modes, and when I've reached the limit of what I can do in one "mode", I switch "modes", i.e. desktops, to continue the task in the adjacent "mode"

I doubt the average employee is going to so much as think of this concept let alone utilize it.

Almost certainly true. But if you do approach computer use that way, then Windows 7 is feeling pretty old these days, which is my larger point. For many, perhaps most, use cases Windows 7 is fine. If you've been keeping track of, learning to use, and have incorporated into your work, the features of newer OSes however, Windows 7 doesn't feel like something you can go back to.

I won't argue some could have reasons why 10 is better I doubt many will argue some could. I wouldn't be assuming we are talking about our unique pc situations at work, but our needs at home. That said, some still could have valid reasons for 10, but dollars to donuts I bet the majority of us and what we do 7 is (trumps voice) phenomenal!

41. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 3, 2015, 11:26 HorrorScope

InBlack wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 05:50:
Not going to climb on the Windows X hate train, but the truth is that for PC gaming there is currently no better or more reliable OS than Windows 7.

Wake me up when DirectX12 surfaces and is actually supported in games and then we can talk more.

Right, its simple. It isn't hate what we are talking about, general use and stability is. The hate is from the privacy side, right or wrong. I like to somewhat assume when we talk at BN's, we are talking about our home gaming units or in general home units with a moderate range of flexibility needed.

40. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 3, 2015, 11:23 HorrorScope

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Dec 3, 2015, 00:23:
I've been having quite a bit of stability issues since updating to windows 10, I really wish I hadn't at this point.

That is not uncommon. So why update from a system I can have run for a year without rebooting. To one I now have issues with, even if it is just a couple. Zero > A Couple?

39. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 3, 2015, 11:14 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 22:31:
@SMA: OK, fair enough. There are some good points in favor of Win 10 in a professional, corporate environment but no real "killer argument" as far as I can tell, especially not for home use (remember we're on a gaming site here Wink ).

Personally, for me, the user experience has simply not been very convincing. I have only upgraded my laptop and none of my desktops to Win 10 so far and I use the laptop rarely.
I upgraded in September (no clean install but no straight upgrade either... I used that reset option which is supposed to pretty much equal a clean install) and did not turn it on since then.

So I booted it up today to install that big Win 10 November update. First, this took several hours (usual MS crap where the update hangs at 0% for half an hour before even starting!), and secondly produced a couple error messages that simply sucked ass... like the drivers for my HP AiO printer could not be installed, unknown error, try again later. Ummm. OK. Very helpful.

Next I installed the latest nVidia drivers and contrary to my desktop it forced me to reboot (I never have to reboot on Win 7 even with a clean install). Reboot and.... !!!bingo!!!... error message from Win 10 that the installation could not be completed because new hardware detection was in process (dafuq?). Had to reboot again and then could finally access the nVidia control panel. Final score: Win 7 zero reboots, Win 10 two reboots.

Then by accident I noticed that the November update had also re-enabled hibernation against my will so I had to manually disable it again to get rid of the hiberfil.sys bloat crap.

And then when all updates FINALLY had completed, I was so fed up with all this shit that I decided to shut down Windows 10... BUT NOT SO FAST!
Instead of shutting down, Win 10 hung on the shutdown screen saying something like "updating Win 10 settings, do not turn off your computer" for about an hour before I closed the lid and called it a day.

I don't know about anyone else here but that's what I call a seriously underwhelming user experience.

Yep and that is real. That is a new reality with forced updates and an O/S that is heavily based around updates. Perhaps they need to invest in ways to make it more seemless. So when we are told Win10 is the last Windows. Someone in RD will come up with a tech where they can update on the fly without rebooting etc. And then it will be, well here is the new Forever Windows, promise last one. And then another breakthrough. They probably won't be able to pull off the no more windows and with Balmer questioning the revenue side of this tactic now...

38. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 3, 2015, 11:10 HorrorScope

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 20:46:
Except for minor features like the new Task Manager, File History, a smaller installation footprint, a desktop manager, etc. Windows 10 has its issues, and its not my primary OS, but pretending that Windows 7 is anything but horribly dated at this point is kind of laughable. If all you care about is being able to launch games, then Win7 still does the job,

Task Manager while nice, I don't live in it, Win7's ok and I could download more tools if needed. No factor.

File Histroy - I use Search Everything, I assume it is somewhat similar but something tells me Search Everything blows File History away still. MS artificially slows certain tasks down. No factor.

Smaller Install Footprint - While nice, I have more room than ever. One side of the industry gives us more, while another is trying to shrink. That is a fine trend, but this size difference is a NO FACTOR for me.

Desktop Manager - Not sure what it is overall, possibly a nice feature but I would have to be struggling with my current desktop. I'm not, perhaps the Win 8 guys are. lol No Factor.

I do more than games, I have reliability and speed with Win 7, I would assume really the same with 8 and 10. It is very incremental improvements now at this point. I'll wait the year and see, but really I've heard more real-world problems with 10 than I did with 8. 8 you needed to install Classic Shell (2 minutes later) done. But even then it was a small upgrade for many from 7 to 8. Just sticking with old reliable I reckon and I doubt I'm being lapped by anyone.

36. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 3, 2015, 11:03 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 20:33:
Windows 7 --> Windows 10 = downgrade, not upgrade. The only thing that Win 10 has going for it compared to Win 7 is DirectX 12. In everything else it is worse, buggier and shittier.

8 is even better. IMO that is trying to be masked by too many. Win10's cheese not ready.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 3, 2015, 10:59 HorrorScope

LOL at the Balmer article, he's right. He's just like us now, the same questions and problems, but he has inner connections as well. Sure he comes across butt hurt, but he's right to.  

26. Re: GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 2, 2015, 17:00 HorrorScope

Jivaro wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 14:46:
So far all I picked up was Outlaws and Shadow Warrior 2013. 2.39 for Outlaws is great and 3.99 for Shadow Warrior is worth it.

You know what made these games great in a GOG way? When there wasn't anything else to play. There were years you'd only get a small handful of games you'd want and like, that is where length mattered. Outlaws is great if there wasn't anything else good out there now. In my world, there is more good out there than time. Would I rather play a newer game like Hand of Fate? or AAA? AA? or Indy? All these games, to me today are better than Outlaws all things considered.

25. Re: GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 2, 2015, 16:55 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 12:44:
And yeah, if you haven't got Witcher 3 yet - you're nuts - you can wait until the next expansion drops in February. That's what I'm waiting for before commencing a new playthrough.

Thanks for tip... I got in on steam last week for $30, but also got DAI, gifted FO4... Cities... on and on right. I'm doing DAI now, really fun game, the large mass area is really nice that Bioware will be in that realm now. I wanted to do Witcher 3 after DAI so I can enjoy both that way :), now I'll wait for update.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues
35. Re: Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues Dec 2, 2015, 12:08 HorrorScope

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 06:00:
That's useless advice if you're gaming at 1600p or 4K, which is substantially more demanding than 1080p. There is no single card that can run games well at 1600p or 4K. Even with my dual-GTX 970 setup I still get framerate drops in games like Crysis 3 and Far Cry 4 - single GPU performance is poor, even with a GTX 980 Ti.

When did Bluesnews become the home of mediocrity? I thought PC gamers demanded the best, not shitty console ports.

PS - I hope DX12 makes multi-GPU support more mainstream, as it is supposed to support non-matched cards by different manufacturers and pool their resources.

First I'm far from against someone wanting SLI and pushing it. But I think a lot of us live in a price/performance world. Performance measures everything and compatibility and ease are part of that. I think we'd all love SLI if SLI worked like two - Voodoo 2's together, everything worked and everything got a boost, no special drivers. Now I understand the tech today that isn't possible. It's more complicated and that there is the word, that word starts deteriorating the performance part of the equation for most.

The higher resolution settings, the higher game settings, a lot of that can be compromised without giving up a ton visual for most. Screenshots are harder to tell the difference with these settings and to me that means it is even more trivial when the game is in motion and I'm focused on the task and not the absolute last details of the gfx.

I take raw FPS over absolute top notch visuals, law of diminishing returns, that said today with flat-screens 60 fps satisfies me. So yes, there is a %'age of PC gamers that go all out, bleeding edge, max everything or bust. But to me that isn't the definition of a pc gamer. Your assumption was more relevant when the bumps were huge visual gains, but it just isn't that anymore, we've moved focus. I want good looks, frames and controls. That is PC gaming to me. The basics are checked, rest gravy. Even med settings at 1080p satisfy the eye candy whore in me almost always.

So yes, I lean for simple and reliable, not saying anyone else has to, but I doubt I'm alone. The last 5 years I focused as much time on wattage, heat and noise, those are very nice to have when you are satisfied with what I mentioned prior. Areas of concerns change.

To me the next big chance of change is the next big thing which we hope is VR. That is different and fresh. Perhaps we will get V1 and it will be good, but we will all know that things will also get better there to and we'll anxiously await for them, like we used to back in the day for better procs and vc's. That once again can push us all forward faster needing the raw power. But then someday that will hit a place where most of us will be satisfied and then we'll go into more refined needs. I think many of us today in a mature product are in more refined areas, but also want headache free operation. Who wouldn't?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 10:33 HorrorScope

I just want to know how they are going to reason this with dogs? Let alone rgulations, wind and about 100 other things.

This imo is how Amazon plays the media the fool and I love it. They rarely advertise with any station, but the stations talk about drones, which is an advert for Amazon. Free advert and they don't even see it.

News Comments > Pre-Steam Sale Prices Raised?
63. Re: Pre-Steam Sale Prices Raised? Nov 28, 2015, 14:11 HorrorScope

deqer wrote on Nov 28, 2015, 13:42:
Don't care what any of you say. That's illegal, and it's illegal in my city too.

Call the cops.

I was listening to a heart felt ThanksG story this AM, it was how a ex-cop and a person he put away for 10 years are now friends. The short of it, the cop was part of a sting operation that was exposed, where his precinct would plant drugs on people (surprise in this case the dude was black) and charge them with possession and put them away. The cop ended up behind bars and came clean with what happened. The framed non-criminal served 4 years until this was settled and forgave the cop and they work together now.

Car Dealer Tycoon used to sell for retail less than it did during a steam sale.

Yes for a lawful good person that wants a steal of a deal this is unacceptable.

5606 Comments. 281 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo