Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 5247 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
33. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 17:58 HorrorScope

Mac wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 16:42:
descender wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 16:13:
Believe it or not, there are a LOT of games on Steam that don't actually use ANY DRM to run. This list is basically every game available on Steam (probably outdated though) that doesn't use the Steam CEG or a third party DRM like uPlay/etc.

"Believe it or not", but Steam is DRM!

They can remotely rescind your license to play a game you have bought at any time!

As the person was stating not all Steam bought games are reliant on Steam. Another name I'll throw out there is D:OS. I can uninstall Steam, revoke my Steamanship and it will still run when I click it's executable.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Win10 Gamer Primer
33. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 17:42 HorrorScope

WaltC wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 14:30:
Win10 is more backwards-compatible with games than Win7, believe it or not. It's also much better/faster all the way around. If you have peripherals that can run under Win7/8, chances are excellent those drivers will continue to work in Win10 even if you don't own hardware made by reputable OEMs who supply timely driver updates...;)

I've been running it for most of the last year, and have been using it exclusively for the last couple of months (nuked my 8.1 installation)--I have no games that won't run; and I have no hardware that won't run. Grabbing this free update is a no-brainer...!

The desktop is the default and the start-menu is back--you can have tiles on your desktop or not have them--it's your choice. Metro is dead (unless you like Metro, in which case you can call some of it up again.) Best thing I've seen Microsoft do. Ever. And by gosh, it's free (so long as you had enough sense to buy Win7 or Win8 from Microsoft, that is.) Even if you are still holding XP/Vista in your cold, dead fingers, Win10 is worth the price of admission.

This is the only advice I'd give, however: if you don't already own a retail license to a qualifying Windows upgrade OS, then buy a retail license to Windows 10 because the retail license follows you, not your hardware--a retail license survives hardware upgrades like motherboard & cpu swaps, an OEM license does not. A retail license for Win10 is good for pretty much the rest of your life, or until they stop making x86 personal computers entirely (whichever comes first)...!

No reason I can think of for anyone not to get on this bandwagon--it's going to mean that at some point within the next 12 months the only Windows market that will exist to any degree will be the Windows 10 market--and what a boon for software that's going to be! It's going to make software development much easier, etc. I think we are seeing the beginning of a "golden age" of software, not to put too fine a point on it...

That is perhaps the rosey-ist comments I've seen on Windows 10, the ending was the cherry "golden age". Win 7 to me will be the landmark where 8 and 10 are built on that success. Improvements, sure? But 7 settled the "rebooting of a frozen computer daily (or worse) down to near nil" and that was a major step forward for pc's. Being in the job I have that alone has saved me 100's of hours per year and a lot of stress. Until I have a perfect picture of Win 10 Upgrades (forced and/or paid), I have to be somewhat pessimistic, as an O/S in general I'm sure it's good, it's enhanced Win 7. The Xbox part, yes we'll bitch about it, but as said we can simply not use it, done and done.

32. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 17:37 HorrorScope

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 15:35:
There will be PC games that are built to support that in the near future.

How many not supported with $$$ from MS? Because you have two issues to just do it alone... Once bitten, twice shy. And we have an established standard in Steam. I think it is a long road ahead or general non-paid developers to support this and Steam. I won't even say good luck because honestly I don't need it, they blew it years and years ago and I don't really have any faith in them doing it right and beneficial to us now.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 22, 2015, 13:39 HorrorScope

Good news for them if all they did were phones, they'd still be the richest, everything else is to keep family members employed.

Love how sales up 30+% but analysts had set it higher, so it was a disappointment and yep stock price drops. Over 30% more, man people are greedy.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 22, 2015, 13:35 HorrorScope

My ebay policy, only buy from there that you cannot buy at any other place period and make sure you really really want it.  

23. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 13:33 HorrorScope

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 13:22:
So I guess Microsoft's dedication to PC gaming is an xbox app in windows 10.
Just fucking great. What's next? DX12 requires the power of the cloud?

Yes, they refuse to accept reality.

24. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 13:25 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 12:18:
G2A is your friend. I bought my copy - GoG verstion - for $38 CDN, they're selling for 18 Pounds on G2A right now - again the GoG version. Steam wants $60 CDN atm and they can kiss my ass.

Cutter if you don't mind send me over a link there to what an American can buy and use. I assume if it is the GOG version this is the DRM less version, so any funny region locking shouldn't be an issue, correct? At that price, I have 3 sales.

I do see a key for the english version for $10.93, will that allow me to download from GOG the DRM free version?

Thanks.

23. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 13:21 HorrorScope

Flatline wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 12:04:

That's the thing. He *does* want to buy it now. And he can buy it dirt cheap from GOG directly or spend full price on Steam.

What I find odd is both sites want $60.

19. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 12:21 HorrorScope

InBlack wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 09:14:
Here is my guide to optimal use of Windows 10 for gamers:

- Do. Not. Install.

There you go. Simple really. Wait for DX12 capable games people, there really is no need to upgrade at this moment you will only have issues (like with every new Windows release)

Well I'd add once you like what you see dive in and if you are coming up on the year, make a judgement call if you haven't already. Also first poster, yes, things they boast for many will be things we won't be using. Always good for a laugh.

Still want more complete details on things like forced updates and long-term costs.

11. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 11:32 HorrorScope

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 11:05:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 09:16:
I really want to grab this game but it's 50 / $78 on Steam, which is pathetic (new AAA games are usually 30-35 / $47-55).
Publishers are getting greedy.

So you drop 500$ on star citizen which is a barely playable game with almost no content.

You bitch about 50 british pound game that's fucking amazing and people are sinking hundreds of hours into and saying it's probably the most complete game they've ever played.

Your logic is baffling.

Well now he has to make it back up, so there can be a logical slant to it. I'd wait for a sale at this point, since well it has already had one. There will be a patch most likely to fix some things 1.07 broke.

News Comments > KOTOR 2 Patched; OS X & Linux Support Added
21. Re: KOTOR 2 Patched; OS X & Linux Support Added Jul 21, 2015, 21:23 HorrorScope

Sepharo wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 19:45:
Anyone know if a KOTOR 3 is in the works... Because activity like this seems to suggest that.

It allows this surprise to make a lot more sense.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Trailer
3. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Jul 21, 2015, 19:28 HorrorScope

aiyoung wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 19:22:
Unfortunately, this is not a new trailer.

This trailer first appeared on June 9th, 2014 on the offical hellogames youtube account.

Well then, no thanks DSOGaming.

News Comments > KOTOR 2 Patched; OS X & Linux Support Added
6. Re: KOTOR 2 Patched; OS X & Linux Support Added Jul 21, 2015, 19:27 HorrorScope

Wonder if any bug fixes and interested in what kind of mods will show up in the Workshop.  

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Jul 21, 2015, 19:21 HorrorScope

Axis wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 17:39:
Shihon is 100% right, liberals are so completely lost among their own brainwashing it's silly.

My brainwashing has led me to this. We all are different, we cannot all just be the same, attempting to do that is constant war. We are better off not paying attention to these things (guilty as charged) and just focus on ourselves and living a nice little life.

I see most of the conflict today is around of being different, a large group of whites feel their opinion or beliefs aren't being respected and want to fight back. But listening to that it seems they won't be happy until white and christian. But even if that fantasy happened, as humans we will always find differences amongst ourselves and build walls there. The issue is respecting people are different whatever it is. You can still be white in the US, you can still be christian. You can still get a job. You can still find peace if you allow it.

Families of the same color and creed can and many times have plenty of dysfunction, so this harmony isn't race or creed related it is individuals accepting and chilling.

Like the above role reversal, our far right christians are as bat shitty crazy as a radical muslims. Both sides can kiss my ass, if God has a big enough problem, come set us straight, stop with people speaking indirectly for you.

Hmmm... time for a Facebook poster. Picture of Trump. Words, "I hope a lot of my Facebook Republican friends are voting for Donald Trump. Because you sound a lot like him every day."

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2015, 19:35.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Jul 21, 2015, 19:05 HorrorScope

My family on facebook, I know the Dems vs Repubs of them all. The Dems don't post as often, they post a lot less politically. Repubs are all over the basic bitches non stop. Their depth of thought on the subjects seems shallow. A quick thought many seem reasonable, but these issues cannot be answered correctly on shooting from the hip and are far from as duh and easy as they think they are. They also have imo a dark under-tone to them. If they were actually acted upon as simply as stated, it would be ugly.

Bonus Thought:
If a country invaded the USA to hunt down a group of people that took harbor in the US whom did back things back in their country. And while hunting them down, created splash damage of where innocent Americans were killed. Beheadings of these invaders would be the easy way out to what some Americans would do to them. I just love how we act when we see a foreigner do savage things, as if the tables were turned we wouldn't go to that level to defend or seek revenge on those wronging us.

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2015, 00:27.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 20, 2015, 17:42 HorrorScope

Is there a link with the footage? The tweet makes it all in favor of the police. Was the footage from the offices cameras or something else? What is interesting is the office cameras (when they aren't mysteriously off)are proving that the officers story, like a witness isn't very reliable. Think of all of history how many innocents were robbed by police recollection/framing. I hate having a camera everywhere, but there is no going back now, I LOVE that the Authorities as being recorded and seen as in enough cases now, liars where we cannot take their word for it in court.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2015, 17:31 HorrorScope

dj LiTh wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 15:11:
Currently have about 2 dozen tabs open in chrome and none are over 80megs, you can check with chrome's task manager...I'm willing to bet some of you guys have some giant hogs as extensions running. As for firefox, i do like it but the single error taking down the entire browser is just a no go for me. I'm sure its gotten better but its ridiculously frustrating when you lose 50+ tabs when your working on something.

I won't say it never happens, I use Cyberfox and if it hangs, again not very often, it usually comes back. If it were to crash, it will comeback with all the sites asking if I want to reload. I also use Bookmark All, I press a Star Icon anytime I want and it will save by date/time in a folder under bookmarks all the sites I have open, good for a crash or more importantly a historical bookmark of good sites if I need them in the future.

I can have anywhere from 6 to 30 sites opened at once, typically run pc on and browser on for weeks if not months. Just giving a little insight where things are today, obviously don't care what any one uses.

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month
50. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 14:33 HorrorScope

Parias wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 14:31:
I actually see it as a more important distintion; the fact that you're a person "inside" of a ship rather than just an arbitrary camera stuck to some cockpit position. By extension this means you can get up from your chair at any time and interact with the ship's interior, perform repairs, partake in boarding actions, etc, all seamlessly. That's what they're going for.

And it is hard to deny that this isn't cool.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2015, 12:53 HorrorScope

Axis wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 10:35:
I've not found any reason to choose anything other than Firefox with noscript for the last 10 years or so.

And speed? That's pretty funny... apparently Microsoft is still developing for 1990s.

Yep. And Firefox, 64 bit derivative, I've accepted it will eat up 2.5 gigs of ram if I keep open with as many windows as I may have open at once, 25 or so. But that is why you have the ram, right?

NoScript and Adblock and then some UI niceties. Keeps system clean.

That said, not in favor of the Flash block change, there are a lot a lot of sites still using it. A lot.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC
42. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC Jul 20, 2015, 11:06 HorrorScope

Reading responses at various forums this seems to be quite a buggy patch, not only for PC but for consoles to, esp PS4.  

5247 Comments. 263 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo