Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 5153 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds
14. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 14, 2015, 20:27 HorrorScope

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 20:25:
Any idea how much he donated?

$250

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 14, 2015, 20:22 HorrorScope

WaltC wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 12:17:
It's not the OS...it's the Internet itself that's a never-ending string of security concerns...;)

True! And the O/S does nothing to help out.

News Comments > Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds
7. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 14, 2015, 19:45 HorrorScope

Yep saw that one coming. Ole Derek Smart fucking up a Chris Roberts joint. This is internet gold.  

News Comments > Op Ed
80. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 14, 2015, 19:42 HorrorScope

Luke wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 18:11:
Well i hope they won't refund a shit , them maybe and just maybe people can learn NOT to fund any games out there , shitty way to overpay for games Clown

Like EA to, I think all games stand on their own merits. So if this crashes and burns, it may have some weight overall but if the right project with the right group and right cost happens, I would do it. There have been good KS and EA games and without either we wouldn't have had them AND AND these are games no one would make anymore that we still want, they are not corporate fed console games. So I'm not narrow enough not to see a bigger picture.

So we can be a bit upset about one part of it, but there is also a lot of good that has come of it to.

There were signs and the longer it went on if you were still funneling $$$'s into this, there were a lot more signs. I just assume every dollar thrown at this game was extra $$$ a person has after bills. Everyone will survive. You'll waste many many 1000's in your life-time.

News Comments > Op Ed
78. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 19:32 HorrorScope

Tumbler wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 16:31:
But is it technically possible to merge Elite and call of duty so it's one "game" assuming you had 64gb of ram to use?

Why would I need 64 gigs? If we were to merge two 3 gig games, what doesn't that equate to 6 gigs needed? And that is doing it as sloppily as possible, zero code assets being used for both.

It's funny were starting to now discuss things at this level. It is doable, can he do it? Long shot. But it's doable.

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2015, 19:44.

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 12:36 HorrorScope

PHJF wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 12:28:
Hate to break it to you, but 38 Studios collapsing surprised exactly no one outside Rhode Island.

Well I'm not sure we even cared or knew prior. One day post here, 38 closing. Their one game was out, the other in development. It wasn't crowd funded, so to me that is just another out of business deal. That is was a State Funding a good part of that, no big to gamers in general. It was a big collapse, but a much different path or care if this were to fail.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 14, 2015, 10:43 HorrorScope

nin wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 09:16:
Mozilla's Firefox now blocks Flash by default.

And nothing of value was lost...

I personally rather it not. If I live in fear from a vulnerability, then I'd live in constant fear.

"The news comes after a seemingly never-ending string of security concerns about the once popular software"

The f'in O/S is a seemingly never-ending string of security concerns.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 14, 2015, 10:42 HorrorScope

Kxmode wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 10:40:
I sent CIG a very carefully crafted message containing plenty of video and written proof showing most (like 95%) of my $930 was made under false claims made by Chris himself. I can't imagine CIG denying such a claim; that would be completely unethical.

If serious, tell us how that works out for ya.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 10:39 HorrorScope

Who knew? That Star Citizen would bring a Chris Roberts vs Derek Smart battle. The only possible winner could be the person with a zero dollar pledge.

Next step... other customers catch on to the refund given, now want theirs. Incoming shit-storm.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 13, 2015, 20:46 HorrorScope

Certain companies just can charge whatever they want. What else is there to say?  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jul 12, 2015, 21:01 HorrorScope

harlock wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 20:10:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 14:29:
Perhaps there is a purpose for this.

beyond the obvious applications for VR, id imagine its possible to do funky optical tricks using the extra pixels, even if the eye cant detect them because that may be the point in the first place

VR, so are you saying that perhaps the device is 12K in resolution, but we'll run games on 1080P rez? Like I can run games in 720P on my 1080P monitor?

I was under the impression one of the improvement to the latest VR beta products to make it to consumer was the pixel fill density was going to be larger, meaning less space between pixels, aka a way to reduce screen door effect.

News Comments > Op Ed
58. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2015, 20:43 HorrorScope

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 16:33:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 14:21:
So player run servers are back in? I heard something like only Arena style fighting. The point is, if you own the server you own the rules at no cost, how easy or hard you make things will be up to you, but no money is involved. Will I be able to create a server for say 16 friends and have house rules and have a reasonably large area/planets etc to run around in?
As far as I'm aware the plan for private servers remains unchanged from the original pitch. You'll be able to run your own private servers but they won't have the depth of the PU, as that has a whole load of associated systems (economy simulator, matchmaking, organised events, dynamic AI, etc). They will be updated as new content comes out but after the PU. Private servers will also support modding, unlike the PU.

So based on what we know, yes you'll be able to have 16 friends on a server and have custom rules. You'll also have a large environment to play in.

Interesting, I've heard different, won't say either right or wrong and I have plenty of time I reckon to find out. I've heard is was scrapped and you can only do some small PVP arena battles on your own server.

EDIT: Ok I'm satisfied with this, it states we will have private servers and to me that is the feature I want in this "Hypothetical game" :). Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA95r5b6rEM

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2015, 20:48.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
14. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 12, 2015, 20:34 HorrorScope

Frijoles wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 19:58:
Vio wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 19:40:
How exactly are they going to make money when everyone is on windows 10...

Businesses still have to pay a shitload for the upgrade and support.

That could be true, so in their hearts they are just going to have business pay everyone's way where in the past everyone paid their way? Why only have the business dollars when you could have home user dollars as well? I like the thought of that, not so sure that is what will happen.

13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 12, 2015, 20:30 HorrorScope

DangerDog wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 17:47:
They keep talking about "Windows as a service" which sounds like they'll eventually charge a monthly fee to use it just like they have with xbox live.

This article is stating instead of a monthly it will be in the form of a 2-4 year charge cycle. The question would be will we be forced to upgrade or if not will the O/S shutdown?

12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 12, 2015, 20:29 HorrorScope

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 17:44:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 14:47:
IMO the news is additional but still murky details leaking of how Win 10 works in terms of cost. They sell 1 billion a month in Windows Licensing today.

Life of device isn't the meaning most were thinking (life of my current pc), you will probably be forced to pay for Windows 10 upgrades every 2-4 years that is their definition of life of device. Long enough that those waiting on getting Win 10 for free (first year) still won't see the first paid upgrade cycle.

So yes, the upgrade from Win7/8 to Win 10 is free, aka the draw, the forced upgrades at cost, the catch.
Microsoft has stated that Windows 10 won't be moving to a subscription model, so there won't be charges for updates. The 2-4 year lifecycle relates to accounting and was misconstrued by a very biased reporter. It's also worth noting that support typically only lasts for 2-4 years. For instance, Windows 8 support ends in 2016 - four years after release - but Windows 8.1 extends that support until 2018. Windows 10 will receive a major free update next year in the form of Redstone.

The reason Microsoft is releasing Windows 10 for free is to get people using the Windows Store, as it receives a 30% cut of all sales. It also unifies the userbase, as Microsoft has a major issue getting XP users to upgrade and faced the same problem with Windows 7. They'll still charge for new licences and businesses will still have to pay the megabucks for support contracts.

You talk about bias reporting, where has support in past MS O/S's only been 2-4 years? When is Win 7 Support going away, I heard rumors of 2020? 8, 2023. Is there even an official word? How about Vista? Where are you coming up with 2-4 being the norm? That isn't close to 2-4 years, more like 10.

Them not coming out an clearly laying out their plan, we have to be cautious. They make 1 billion in revenue per month from the O/S, giving it away for free forever make no business sense. You mention the store at 30%, well I can see that causing cloudiness, perhaps if it is as successful as they hope, perhaps free Win10 forever is possible. However that isn't a certain, perhaps if it isn't the success they hope they have the 2-4 upgrade cost plan in the wings in case, because they need revenue from this O/S, that we all have to agree with, correct?

I'm all for believing you, but since they can't just be clear cut to the public, you have to show some skepticism. I can't say if this article is bias or not, they have info that I do not, unsure at this point either way.

EDIT: I've reviewed the slides, I do not know where the author of the article comes up with 2-4 years as device life, unless he believe he has insider info on that. I did not see reference to those in the slides.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2015, 20:57.

3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 12, 2015, 14:47 HorrorScope

IMO the news is additional but still murky details leaking of how Win 10 works in terms of cost. They sell 1 billion a month in Windows Licensing today.

Life of device isn't the meaning most were thinking (life of my current pc), you will probably be forced to pay for Windows 10 upgrades every 2-4 years that is their definition of life of device. Long enough that those waiting on getting Win 10 for free (first year) still won't see the first paid upgrade cycle.

So yes, the upgrade from Win7/8 to Win 10 is free, aka the draw, the forced upgrades at cost, the catch.

The CFO promises Wall Street later this year, to make it crystal clear how this all works. They can't spell it out as is right now, or it would be the XBone announcement all over again and they know it.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jul 12, 2015, 14:29 HorrorScope

Quboid wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 12:54:
That's got to be pointlessly high PPI for handsets. I'm not sure how you'd get a decent framerate but at least it should look sharp in a headset.

Is there a chance there is a rethinking part to be done on our end?

We've been conditioned due to poor scaler performance usually, that you want to run your apps (PC) at the native resolution, as in many cases artifacts from bad scaling would appear otherwise.

However in higher rez worlds, lets say 4K even, what if your display is 4K and your application runs at 1080P, if the scaler doesn't leave any artifacts the frames performance would be based on 1080P and you would get better pixel fill density from the higher rez display. Perhaps there is a purpose for this.

News Comments > Op Ed
54. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2015, 14:21 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 13:34:
Again, to be fair, they never claimed people would be able to run server farms at home and mirror the entire PU. The player run servers are going to be like Freelancer for you and a "hundred or so" friends according to Christ Roberts. Here's a pretty recent video where he explains stuff.

Sure, you could just use the mod kit and player run servers and fly around in the best ships with the best upgrades all day long with a dozen of your best buddies but where's the fun in that?
I don't believe that private servers will really detract too much from the competitive PU environment where the "real game" happens.

So player run servers are back in? I heard something like only Arena style fighting. The point is, if you own the server you own the rules at no cost, how easy or hard you make things will be up to you, but no money is involved. Will I be able to create a server for say 16 friends and have house rules and have a reasonably large area/planets etc to run around in?

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC DLC Delay Confirmed
19. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC DLC Delay Confirmed Jul 12, 2015, 11:26 HorrorScope

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 07:30:
Having to edit config files just to get the game to run as it should is absolutely unacceptable.

I get your point, but being a PC Master Racer, tinkering is all part of it the good and bad, to me mostly good. So imo even though it was set this way to try and mask a crap port, editing a file to me as a pc gamer is totally ok. It is part of the line that that is drawn between console gamers and pc gamers.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
13. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 12, 2015, 11:21 HorrorScope

FWIW I buy cheaper shit than everything listed in this thread and am satisfied with the sound I get and I'm picky enough vs the average person still. My wife has no problem filling a room with music from her mobile phone speaker. I at least need the JBL BT speaker on and working.

I like trends though, it used to be big bulky headsets, then ear buds and now back to bulky.

There is nothing new here though, brand selling has always been huge in audio, build the hype and sell! Bill Joel "You get the same mileage with a cheap pair of speakers", funny thing I do like a robust sound but I've been a believer your ears auto-equalize in a minute or two and if your not simply just focused on sound quality, it's all good enough. Sort of like gfx, once you play the game and not sit there and just focus on assets, it's all good enough if you like the gameplay.

5153 Comments. 258 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo