Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for chili pepper

Real Name chili pepper   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 17:52
Total Comments 57 (Suspect)
User ID 17226

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Duke Nukem Whenever
85. Graphics are a big deal to me May 30, 2003, 02:57 chili pepper

not the only thing, but I wouldn't play a game that's hard on the eyes. Video games should be challenging AND look good. Its just no fun playing a game that looks like crap. (Have you seen those 3 screenshots of Deus Ex: Invisible War just released on Blues News? They look worse than the first game. Ugliest game I ever seen! Seriously, they look like levels from Quake 1! If I want a deep story, I read a book! If you're looking for Tolstoy's War and Peace, you're not going to find it in a video game. Go read the book.)

Fortunatley, after all this time DNF still holds up in the looks department going by those old screenshots. Will they ever finish it is another question.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: To make a Duke sequel May 29, 2003, 20:06 chili pepper

Hahahaha. Carmack is the man, the rocket man that is!

47. Re: To make a Duke sequel May 29, 2003, 19:19 chili pepper

I don't know why they were whining about Half-Life. You don't have to be the best to sell well. As long as you have a solid game it would have sold well despite having to compete with Half-Life. A ton of other FPS games have done just that.

Certainly Duke has a very lucrative niche all by itself. No one else has done a comedy/action-type game like Duke Nukem, so essentially they aren't competing with ANYBODY. the funny thing is, no one cares much about fancy technical features on a game like Duke Nukem. As long as you had Duke being his normal bad-ass, sh*t-talking self with some decent graphics it would have sold by the boatload. 3DR just threw away a huge jackpot. Like throwing away a winning lottery ticket. Too late now. They'll be lucky to break even after DNF ships.

42. To make a Duke sequel May 29, 2003, 18:44 chili pepper

All you need are some nice graphics, plenty of humor and a decent storyline. How freaking hard can that be? This isn't freaking rocket science. What have they been doing all this time? Building a rocket to the moon?

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Preview
81. No subject May 29, 2003, 11:56 chili pepper

To the idiots who persist in comparing Deus Ex it to Half-Life.

snip of a pcn interview with the producer of deus ex:

pcn: what main category does deus ex fit into? could it be considered an FPS like unreal, half-life, etc?

producer: to make a long story short, deus ex is a role=playing game (RPG) with some FPS elements. in terms of being a full-blown fps, i don't think there's much basis for comparison. there may be some overlap obviously but they are really two very different styles of game-play, the RPG and the FPS. In the end, I would consider it a rather pointless exercise to compare to the two.

interviewer: like comparing aples and oranges?

producer: yes, exactly.

-------------

As I've been saying all along, there is no basis for comparison whatsoever. The maker of Deus Ex said so themselves. Here's an idea for you geniuses: if you want something to compare Deus Ex, go compare it to OTHER RPG games! Hey, what a novel idea. now you can stop wasting people's time with pointless comparisons. But of course, you won't. Comparing apples to oranges seems to be a pointless hobby of many Deus Ex players.

76. No subject May 29, 2003, 03:09 chili pepper

As an RPG game, Deus Ex may have its merits (I couldn't tell you what those merits are since I'm not a fan of RPG games). I don't have endless hours of spare time on my hands to go wandering around in darkened levels made with dim lighting searching for lost keys in the near-dark(not good for the eyes). Some people may enjoy that kind of game, personally I do not. The video games I like to play are multi-player sports and FPS games. Where you jump in for a few minutes, kick some butt, and you're done with it. I don't have large amounts of time to spare for something like Deus Ex or any kind of time-consuming game for that matter. But that's just me!

50. No subject May 28, 2003, 17:24 chili pepper

if anyone is still considering getting Deus Ex, I would suggest trying the demo first. Picture what it would be like to play in a huge cardboard box and you'll understand what the level design is like in Deus Ex. They must have used trained monkeys to design the levels. Very low production value throughout. Try the demo and you'll see what I mean. This game is a joke!

PS: What kind of gay-ass name is Deus Ex anyway?

46. No subject May 28, 2003, 16:58 chili pepper

rajajujuman,

keep talking, little troll monkey!

43. Re: Bad comparison May 28, 2003, 16:54 chili pepper

It is a terrible analogy.

"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."

That can certainly be said for the makers of Deus Ex. Just because you can tack on some crappy multiplayer support, doesn't mean you should. They should have left out multiplayer completely. If the single-player is good enough on its own, why would they need to tack on some half-baked non-functional multi-player support?

Throw in a crappy broken feature (and not even try to fix it later) trying to make a quick buck by fooling customers into buying it. Last I checked that was considered a deceptive marketing practice.

And gimme a break people act like Ddeus Ex is some of Shakespeare play but in reality it is no more complex than the plot of a Saturday morning cartoon as are most video games. Hugely overrated there.

edit: typo

This comment was edited on May 28, 16:55.

40. Bad comparison May 28, 2003, 16:19 chili pepper

Your analogy is no good. Schindler's List wasn't made to make you laugh. However, DX DID have multiplayer support in it. Therefore, it is fair to criticize the multiplayer, which everyone can agree sucked balls. If you're going to do something, do it right, or don't do it at all!

38. Stupid little monkey May 28, 2003, 16:13 chili pepper

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk. Stupid little monkey.

34. Re: ROGUE WAS THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME May 28, 2003, 15:56 chili pepper

The only thing sadder than an ignorant little troll is one who thinks he isn't.

32. Re: Half-Life vs. Deus Ex May 28, 2003, 15:46 chili pepper

if you enjoyed Deus Ex, fine. Personally, I did not. Unlike these morons who bash HL2 without even playing it, I HAVE played Deus Ex. And personally I think it sucked big time.

I don't care for the single-player aspect in either game. I didn't enjoy the single-player in Half-Life that much, but I thought it was worse in Deus Ex. At least half-life had much more interesting level design and graphics not to mention far better enemy AI. At least the enemies gave you a challenge in HL while the Deus Ex enemies just stand around like statues.

The multi-player aspect is much more interesting to me and clearly Half-Life wipes the floor with Deus Ex in that department. On a good day you might find a Deus Ex server with 3 other people on it which gives you an idea of how great the online game is for that game. In other words, play it once or twice then throw it away (I got Deus Ex for $5 at CompUsa so no big loss). But hey, maybe thats your type of game but its not mine, everybody has different tastes.

Edit- typo

This comment was edited on May 28, 15:50.

25. Re: forgive me I have sinned May 28, 2003, 15:21 chili pepper

rajajujaman,

keep talking like the clueless little monkey that you are.

24. Re: Half-Life vs. Deus Ex May 28, 2003, 15:19 chili pepper

it seems the idiots who love to bad-mouth half-Life 2 a game still in development that they haven't even played are the ones going apeshit.

20. Re: Half-Life vs. Deus Ex May 28, 2003, 14:58 chili pepper

Who gives a shit WHAT his damn name is??

Only hardcore geeks concern themselves with such minor crap. You call THAT the BIGGEST problem with Half-Life that people addressed him as MR instead of DR?? Who the fuck cares? Its just a game not a god damn documnetary for christ sake! If that's the only bad thing Half-life has going for it than damn its an even better game than I thought!

rajajujaman,

And yes, RETARD, Deus Ex uses the UNREAL NOT Quake engine.

WhAt zoo did you ESCAPE FROM?? Get back in your cage little monkey!

14. Half-Life vs. Deus Ex May 28, 2003, 14:09 chili pepper

I played Deus Ex -- the dullest gaming experience I ever had.

The levels are extremely flat and boxy. Even the much older Quake 2 levels looked more detailed and organic. The controls and inventory system are god-awful as well. Deus Ex isn't even classified as an action game, it is much more of an RPG than anything. By the snail's pace of the game, Deus Ex plays more like a turn-based RPG than a real-time ACTION shooter.

Half-Life is the most popular game on the internet. But I don't know a single person that plays Deus Ex on-line. Multiplayer wasn't even originally supported in Deus Ex. It was later tacked on with a patch as an afterthought.

How anyone could compare Deus Ex to Half-Life is beyond me. Anyone who says Half-Life has key-hunt style gameplay must be on drugs because there is absolutely none of it in the game. However, Deus Ex was filled with key-hunt style missions from what I recall. If you like slow RPG style gameplay, then I guess Deus Ex/Deus Ex 2 is your kind of game. In no way can it be compared to the Half-Life games.

This comment was edited on May 28, 14:12.

57 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo