Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Stephen Mocretni

Real Name Stephen Mocretni   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stemo
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 25, 2003, 23:14
Total Comments 20 (Suspect)
User ID 17204

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Quake 4 Update
14. Q2-Q4 Apr 15, 2005, 23:06 Stemo

Are we finally going to learn the fate of Bitterman?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Now, now, Blue Apr 14, 2005, 21:55 Stemo

You have to remember that with Xbox 1, all the games were only running at 640x480. With such low resolution, 64MB WAS good enough (with a few compromises) to run most PC games from 2001-2004. With this second machine, they not only have to take into account the much more complex graphics engines in games over the next few years, but they are also moving up to 1024x768 as the minimum resolution. 256MB would be the absolute bare minimum amount of system RAM that they could get away with, and that would become the limiting factor of the machine within 18 months. Putting 512MB in there is reasonable, and even a little conservative.

News Comments > Game Movies
1. Ack! Apr 23, 2004, 13:53 Stemo

You Are Empty looks awesome...

...right up until you see the character models.

News Comments > Spector of a New Tomb Raider?
21. Re: Hmm... Feb 29, 2004, 14:21 Stemo

DX:IW was designed for the XBox.

Newsflash: It runs even worse on the Xbox than it does on the PC. If DX:IW were designed specifically for the Xbox, it would be a lot smoother. The problem is that it was designed to hit a middle target. It should've been made for one platform and then ported to the other. That way, each platform gets its needs addressed. Creating a single game that works on two different platforms just results in too many compromises. EVERYBODY loses with multiplatform games.

News Comments > Warner Bros. Haul in Hall
11. No subject Jan 14, 2004, 19:28 Stemo

The new entity's mandate is to not only grow the strong business partnerships already in place in the gaming industry, but also to identify and establish new business opportunities and partnerships.

Notice, they don't actually say anything about wanting to make great games that gamers would like. This is why Hollywood needs to stay the f@ck out of the games industry. They see it merely as a new profit stream.

News Comments > Ed Fries Flees MS
6. Re: No subject Jan 14, 2004, 00:17 Stemo

No, the rhyme didn't escape me.
I just expect more from Blues than the same "Micro$oft is teh SaTaN! HaHA, Th3Y CaNT k33p EmPloYEEZ!" that is so prevalent elsewhere.

News Comments > Ed Fries Flees MS
1. No subject Jan 13, 2004, 23:25 Stemo

"Flees"?
That's a headline I'd expect to see at a website like Slashdot, not Blues.
I'm assuming Fries wanted to be the next Gabe Newell. He wants to make games instead of approve them. His duties at Microsoft didn't include that type of work, so he left. I find it troubling (although completely expected) that all the gaming news websites are trying to insinuate some kind of grand controversy surrounding the situation.

News Comments > Demo Open Letter
37. No subject Dec 16, 2003, 15:31 Stemo

This is all Hollywood's fault.

News Comments > Black Day at Black Isle
18. No subject Nov 8, 2003, 03:54 Stemo

And the downward spiral for Interplay continues.
I just hope that when the company does finally go bankrupt they sell their intellectual property to a trustworthy publisher. Activision or Microsoft, maybe (certainly not EA or Atari).
-
As for Sawyer's departure, I suspect that Interplay was forcing design criteria upon Black Isle. They probably insisted that Fallout 3 be an omni-platform game with the PS2 as the lead platform.

News Comments > FireStarter Gold - WinXP/2K Only
18. Re: artist Nov 6, 2003, 14:36 Stemo

No, the graphics aren't stylized. They're just bad.
It looks like Requiem meets Chasm (you might have to look those two up ;)).
Seriously, anyone who is considering this game should wait for a demo first or at least try to find that slightly older gameplay video.

News Comments > FireStarter Gold - WinXP/2K Only
5. No subject Nov 6, 2003, 11:24 Stemo

The in-game video I saw a few months ago was horribly ugly. I guess that's why the 'official' trailer they released two days ago had all the gameplay portions stylized with extra filters (solarized, negative, etc.). I guess they just couldn't get this game to look the way they wanted. Or else the publisher forced them to ship it early.
I still want to play it, though.

News Comments > Dear Diary
3. . Sep 6, 2003, 00:34 Stemo

Even if he's using that custom definition, his argument still fails, since Shogo quite nicely fits that criteria and beat XIII to market by more than 4 years.
And, for a more modern example, Halo is also story-driven, yet completely action based.

News Comments > The Phantom Menace?
43. No subject Jul 11, 2003, 08:54 Stemo

AJ,
You shouldn't be surprised that you're being met with such hostile resistance. You lost any hope of credibility in this thread when you said in your first post "All recently made consoles are exactly the same as each other."
-
As far as the Phantom goes, I tend to agree with the company. It WILL be completely hackproof. Nobody will ever be able to pirate a single game for it. Why? Because nobody will actually own one...

News Comments > More on Contract JACK
9. Re: $$$$$ Jul 1, 2003, 15:28 Stemo

Well, I didn't mean that to be taken the wrong way. I like Canadians (or, more accurately, I don't actively dislike them). But I hate Ubi Soft. And their behavior seems to stem from the arrogance that is all too common among french canadians. Maybe Montreal will be the next city taken down by SARS...

News Comments > More on Contract JACK
2. $$$$$ Jul 1, 2003, 13:50 Stemo

Anybody else remember when $14.99 was standard expansion pack price? Ubi Soft is the inventor of the $30 expansion pack. They came up with the bright idea back when they charged $29.99 for the Eagle Watch expansion for Rainbow Six which consisted of five maps.
Thanks for nothing, you french canadian bastards...

News Comments > Blizzard Departures
16. Hmmm Jul 1, 2003, 02:31 Stemo

I see two possibilities here.
1. These guys truly were sick of Vivendi, and they didn't want to be gobbled up by another "media company" who might put them to work making educational software.
2. Some major publisher (EA?) decided that Vivendi was asking way too much for the games unit, so they made some quiet overtures to these guys to steal them away.

News Comments > Shadow Vault Unveiled
25. No subject Jun 8, 2003, 22:39 Stemo

If Mayhem has been working on this for the past two years, then what the heck happened to Neverend? At least that game looked innovative.

News Comments > Halo PC Details
28. No subject Jun 5, 2003, 14:36 Stemo

I consider myself a tandem gamer. I own an Xbox, but I've also kept myself on the high-end of the PC hardware scale (I think most Xbox owners are probably the same). If I were rating it, I'd say that Halo is the best FPS I've ever played, just barely edging out Half-Life. And that's only the single player portion. The 'out of the box' multiplayer easily bests most PC games. And once the mod community gets involved, I think it will become the most popular engine to work with (until Source arrives).

News Comments > Sunday Cinema
10. More May 26, 2003, 03:18 Stemo

I meant to mention in my first post why I made the comparison between the two games.
Both STALKER and Xenus have team members that worked together on the game Venom a few years ago. I think they actually started working from the same code base for both games. If not, then certainly the same engine philosophy. It's interesting to see how they've diverged.
I intend to pick up both games.

News Comments > Sunday Cinema
2. No subject May 25, 2003, 19:26 Stemo

Xenus - STALKER's crazy uncle.
Both games are from Russian developers. Both games have detailed outdoor environments. Both games feature usable vehicles. They differ somewhat in implementation. Xenus is more RPG, less action in a no-load, supersized world. STALKER is slightly more action, less rpg in a highly detailed world.
I've been following Xenus for a while. The diversity of gameplay looks wonderful. Very refreshing for a PC game.
This was the second best E3 trailer I've seen.
I agree with you, though, LS. It looks like they recorded the vid at too low a framerate.

20 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo