Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 12283 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA Unleaks GTA5 PC Comment - New Trailers Released
4. Re: NVIDIA Unleaks GTA5 PC Comment - New Trailers Released Aug 14, 2013, 10:02 Prez

Fucking Nvidia! Fucking Rockstar! Fucking Bluesnews! (Not really mad at the third one, but these things seem better in triplicate.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PAYDAY 2
15. Re: Ships Ahoy - PAYDAY 2 Aug 13, 2013, 12:37 Prez

Morality policing aside, as far as the game goes, the beta felt great to play. The shooting feels tighter than in the first, the audio is excellent, and the graphics look spiffier. Even though no one is going to mistake a tweaked Source engine for Unreal 4, devs are still managing to get the most out of the source engine, which considering its age is remarkable.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 13, 2013, 12:13 Prez

It was Clapper who dissembled in front of a Congressional committee when he was questioned directly by NSA critic Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) back in 2011. Wyden asked if "any kind of data at all" was being collected on millions of Americans. "No sir," said Clapper at the time.

Don't people who testify in front of Congressional committees do so under oath? I guess this guy didn't, because otherwise he would be in prison for lying under oath.

If 8 years (2 terms) is good enough for the President of the United States it should be good enough for Congress/House of Representatives. Term limits prevents 2 things from occuring: entrenchment of politicians and stagnation of ideas from old thinking. These positions were designed to be civil service , not careers. It's time we started treating them like this.

This would fix SO many problems, but it just isn't going to happen. It would take Congress passing a law or Amendment that would essentially put themselves out of work, which is never going to happen. Otherwise, if 3/5ths of the states vote to make it a Constitutional Amendment (something that the Constitution provides for but has never happened in our history), it could be done, bit good luck getting that off the ground.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2013, 12:18.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PAYDAY 2
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - PAYDAY 2 Aug 13, 2013, 12:09 Prez

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 11:40:
Why is it people enjoy playing a thug? I think you need a warped personality to write a game like that and to play it.

Better in a completely fake and unrealistic videogame than in real life.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 12, 2013, 22:24 Prez

Shadowrun hasn't hit its stride yet. Wait until a bunch of campaigns start releasing for it. Right now it's pretty obvious the devs built an editor and just threw a campaign into it so fans would have something to play while the community builds the content, so I wouldn't recommend it just yet.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 12, 2013, 10:59 Prez

CBS blackout triggers surge in piracy

Shocking! Who could have predicted such a thing?? Rolleyes

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2013, 01:11 Prez

Breaking Bad is awesome. One of the best shows I've ever seen. It is a bit depressing, seeing Walter descend further and further into darkness, but it's also fascinating and entertaining. A tale well told for sure.  

News Comments > Steam Greenlights 15 More Games
4. Re: Steam Greenlights 15 More Games Aug 10, 2013, 15:37 Prez

Really looking forward to Satellite Reign.  

News Comments > $1MM Saints Row IV Super Dangerous Wad Wad Edition
31. Re: $1MM Saints Row IV Super Dangerous Wad Wad Edition Aug 9, 2013, 18:09 Prez

El Pit wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 12:56:
Prez wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 12:55:
Most awesome promotion EVAR!!!

I knew it! Don't do it, Prez!

Oh there's no stopping me. I've managed to find $1.83 in my couch cushions and also have earned $2.50 by whoring myself out to all the women in my area (at $5 a pop - it's complicated). Quick - somebody do the math to see how far I have to go!

News Comments > $1MM Saints Row IV Super Dangerous Wad Wad Edition
20. Re: $1MM Saints Row IV Super Dangerous Wad Wad Edition Aug 9, 2013, 12:55 Prez

Most awesome promotion EVAR!!!  

96. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2013, 12:22 Prez

Yeah no worries guys. I thought the tone was getting a bit contentious ("hostile" was too strong a word really) but it was a good discussion. As always I'll digest what I've learned in it and see if my stance needs adjustment.

When I was in college a few years ago I was tasked by my Geology professor to write a thesis to support my stance that global warming wasn't happening. The catch was that I could not use any interpretive sources - I could only look at the raw data and research methods used in that data. Not only did the exercise teach me that I was wrong, it taught me to not trust sources that claim to interpret the data objectively for you (Fox News, John Cook) when you can look at it yourself. I found that while the findings were impressively thorough, I questioned how they arrived at their conclusions.

For example, to demonstratively prove something is having an effect, typically scientific methods require two sets of test groups. When doctors are trying to figure out what the effects of a drug are, they have two groups of equal composition to observe - one is given the drug and one isn't. This can reliably prove which effects are drug related and which are likely coincidental. With Climatology, unfortunately scientists are unable to make that comparison. There was no real data that I could find that would show how much climate change would have occurred over the same period of time if humans were not present. True, data exists that shows that recent warming is accelerated over the rate of warming that began around100,000 to 150,000 years ago at the end of the last ice age. However data also shows that rate of warming is not constant due to a myriad of factors, telling me that accelerated warming alone is not definitive proof of an exacerbated warming effected by humans. To be clear, this does not disprove a single thing scientists are claiming; it merely in my mind calls into question whether the lion's share of the warming we are seeing is really humanity's fault.

Hopefully that one example sheds some light how I came to doubt some of things others take as foregone conclusion, and why it's not as easy as just posting some links.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2013, 12:49.

News Comments > Valve Closes SF Satellite Office
1. Re: Valve Closes SF Satellite Office Aug 8, 2013, 20:49 Prez

Valve was super cool about it and is letting us continue to work on our game and is also giving us the office.

Hey, here have an office! Nice.

News Comments > Payday 2 Profitable Already; New Trailer
19. Re: Payday 2 Profitable Already; New Trailer Aug 8, 2013, 14:48 Prez

I plan on getting it on release regardless. I really enjoyed Payday and still enjoy a round or three every now and again.  

91. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 14:17 Prez

I did a really bad job of explaining this but one of the points I tried to make was that it has been the gross exaggeration of impending catastrophes (the commercials in the 70's of a future where kids need to put on space suits to play outside because of the damage we did to the globe and Al Gore's claim that the earth only had about 10 years before it became unliveable...that he made in 2005 - things better start hurrying up!- just to name 2) that has caused people to doubt science in this area just as much, maybe even more, than conservative media.

I mean how many people actually watch/listen to hacks like Beck and Hannity? I contend that many, many more are skeptical about climatology than consume that garbage, meaning there are more reasons for why so many people are ignoring climate science than just what the article is saying. I say it's due in large part to a "boy who cried wolf" syndrome with alarmist predictions that don't come true. Al Gore aside, I don't claim that leftist spin is anywhere near what the right wing spin is, because it obviously isn't.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2013, 14:45.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
26. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2013, 14:08 Prez

Kitkoan wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 12:44:
Prez wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 11:45:
now that I am a mature adult

Mature... right... Rolleyes

You forgot the I added after "mature".

News Comments > Payday 2 Profitable Already; New Trailer
16. Re: Payday 2 Profitable Already; New Trailer Aug 8, 2013, 11:58 Prez

Well, now those who are inclined to wait to buy games on a sale have one less reason to feel guilty about it in this case. Every sale from here on in is gravy!  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 8, 2013, 11:45 Prez

I'll be a man an admit I did this once. I posted a negative review of a game (can't remember which one) years ago just to spite a guy being a complete douche on one forum who said the game was getting iuniversally great reviews from users. I was very detailed in my fakery though, and if I do say so myself I did an excellent job! Yes, I do feel bad for my dishonesty now that I am a mature adult .  

89. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 11:35 Prez

I think people are just asking you to provide some sources and whatnot for your opinions by the way. I know I'm curious to see what you're basing this stuff on.

Again, while I understand the desire for clarification, I am apparently an outlier in my beliefs here so I see very little to be gained by laying out my case here in what amounts to hostile territory. Especially considering how lengthy and time-consuming endeavor it would be! (Yeah, I'm lazy) With an educational equivalent of a 2 year nuclear physics degree from the USN I have just enough of a scientific background to understand the scientific methods used in data collection and analysis but not anything beyond that, so I am not going to be changing anyone's mind with my expertise, that's for sure.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2013, 11:41.

85. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 09:31 Prez

@ Sepharo -

I appreciate you actually taking the time to read and digest what I was trying to say. As for the ensuing posts not jiving with what my previous points seemed to be saying I would say that the limitations of the web forum debate (walls of text shot back and forth with little chance of clarification on the bits that may seem confusing or contradictory to the reader) and my own limitations in communicating my points (it all sounds so salient and concise in my head! ;)) are the main culprits I think.

Hopefully if I give one example of what I consider spinning the data you'll at least start to understand where I am coming from. There's a number going around (and frankly I am surprised it didn't come up in this debate) that there is a 97% consensus among scientists that the rapid warming and the increase in extreme weather occurrences over the last few decades is due to man-made global warming. Presumably someone reading that would be convinced of the overwhelming consensus among the earth's greatest minds and be impressed enough to be willing to do (and agree to) anything to stop or even reverse the effects no matter how debillitating to their current way of life. The problem is that that is a gross misrepresentation of the facts.

When I first read that number I was ready to "throw my lot in" so to speak with those who want to take drastic steps to save the environment. I mean, how selfish does someone have to be to continue to live however they want if it means the planet might die because of it, right? Then I read more on the survey that led to this "consensus". Things started to smell a little fishy. The questions on the survey did not at all reflect what the many climatologists supposedly agreed on according to the findings! The question asked was more along the lines of "Is it your scientific opinion that humans are responsible for at least some level of global warming?", which is a far cry from what they were trying to claim was the consensus - that the severe effect mankind was having on climate constituted a crisis and demanded immediate and drastic measures to counteract.

I could go on with several more, but suffice it to say that what is being presented isn't always what is being claimed by scientists. To be clear, I love science and have the utmost respect for science and scientists - apologies if I gave a different impression. But after being drug along like a fool so many times with disinformation in my life, I have developed a keen (maybe even an unhealthy) skepticism about everything I am told. That's all that is behind it. No underlying whacko conservative agendas here, I promise!

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2013, 09:42.

79. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 22:42 Prez

Sepharo wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 20:51:
Prez wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 16:07:
Sounds like conservative media got to you Prez.

Nope. Don't watch or listen to it, and don't listen to people who do. You are flatly incorrect about the amount of empirical data that is presented as is from what I have seen. It is a political issue, which means that all too often the truth is skewed depending on who is talking. Your bias has blinded you to objectivism.

The bottom line is that the evidence is strongly in favor of the conclusion that the earth is indeed warming. But those who claim that it also proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is a man-made phenomenon (with many supposed "scientists" among them) are spinsters - there is far from overwhelming evidence of that. The jury is still out on that as far as I am concerned.

But where do you get this stuff if you're totally disconnected from media? Are you doing your own research? Can I see what you've published?

I know that sounds antagonistic but I just don't get your approach. How can you claim that you avoid the "it's not man-made" spinning but then claim that scientists who point towards man-made global warming are themselves spinning. Says who? Says what research?

I admit I haven't read the article yet but that headline seems to be describing you.

I was in the middle of typing a response but decided it isn't worth continuing this. What I wrote so far stands on its own well enough. Especially since the tone is turning full on hostile.

12283 Comments. 615 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo