Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 12447 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
153. Re: Internet abandons the US Oct 16, 2013, 11:25 Prez

But then again I still hold the belief that anyone can make something of themselves if they really want to. I get the feeling alot of others don't feel that way.

I feel that way; always have. But that is not to say that those people shouldn't be given a helping hand when they hit a rough patch as good, hard-working people often do.

What non issues? If you don't think Obamacare is going to add to the debt you're a fucking moron.

He already stated that he expects it to and even if it means higher taxes he considers it worth the increase because it's something he believes in. Are you reading what he is writing or just skimming?

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2013, 11:32.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2013, 10:54 Prez

Hudson the puppy gets 'blade runner' artificial paw after being abandoned on railroad tracks and having his leg amputated.

That dog is gorgeous - he looks identical to a rescue we have at the shelter named Bravo. He too was a sad case - I hope I never run across the assholes who abandoned him and left him to die, for both of our sakes.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

145. Re: Internet abandons the US Oct 16, 2013, 10:41 Prez

I think military spending should be higher than hand outs. Is that a good enough example for you?

But why? Rather than having a list of who gets more and who gets less, how about we determine what each area actually needs in terms of resources and capital then pay them accordingly. If their needs to be a heirarchy of importance of what gets cut first if the money runs out before everyone is paid, then so be it. But it seems laughably simplistic to flatly say "Whatever public welfare gets in federal money defense needs to exceed it!"

I hate deadbeats who do nothing but get fat on the public dole as much as you but, despite your constant derision of "hand-outs", the fact of the matter is that most good people will need some kind of help some time in their life. How can we be called a "civilized nation" if we don't see that they get the help they need to get back on their feet?

I don't get upset about said deadbeats like you do (as evidenced by the constant harping on it) because it is a relatively small number of Americans who do so.

From Statistical Information and Demographics derived from the latest national census:

If you use those who are supported by Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)--best described as a federal largess to indigent families with dependent children--as stated by the Dept. of Health the data suggests 1.7% of the total population that derive over 50% of their income from Welfare supports.

The number stated that receive any portion of their support from from welfare assistance--including food stamps--it is 29,900,000 or roughly 8% of the total population in the United States.

This breaks down to:

39% white 11,661,000 of 29,900,000 recipients

38% black 11,362,000 of 29,900,000

17% Hispanic 5,083,000 of 29,900,000

That's only 8% of Americans according the the data. And many of those people work but have jobs that pay too little to support themselves - hardly deadbeats.

That leaves the stated 1.7% of Americans who basically live off of Federal Welfare. That's less than 2% for heaven's sake. It's too many to be sure, but in the big scheme of things, with all the problems we have in the US, is it worth the amount of ranting and screaming people do when it is less than 2% of Americans doing it? That conceivably means 98% of Americans are NOT doing it and are trying to eek out an honest living. It's really a matte rof perspective for me. My annoyance about an issue is commensurate with the size of the issue as much as anything else, and for me it's just not worth getting all bent out of shape over.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2013, 10:50.

- Mahatma Gandhi

108. Re: Internet abandons the US Oct 15, 2013, 14:45 Prez

Your brand of divisive politics just turns people away and shit like that is a big part of the reason why the GOP is stagnating.

Exactly. The far right's biggest enemy isn't the far left or moderate left; it's the far right itself. They themselves continue to weaken the Republican party (which still is my party according to the State of Tennessee but I sure am not proud of it) by continually coming across as narrow-minded and extreme, and in doing so, alienate the more moderate portion of their base to the extent that they no longer even want to be associated with the word "Republican" (The condescending term Rino Republican comes to mind). What we are coming to is that the fringe right will be the only wing of the Republican party left and it will continue to shrink further into irrelevance. Contrast that with the Democrat party which has progressives, liberals, moderates, conservatives, libertarians, etc. and continues to win elections.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Announced for 64-bit PCs
9. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Announced for 64-bit PCs Oct 15, 2013, 13:04 Prez

Woohoo - It's about time!!! Been waiting for this announcement forever.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
12. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 15, 2013, 12:13 Prez

qsto wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 11:58:
No love for Outlast?

Haven't tried it yet.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 15, 2013, 10:23 Prez

I'd say either Amnesia or Clive Barker's Undying (if you can still find a copy and get it working on Windows 7)  

- Mahatma Gandhi

99. Re: Internet abandons the US Oct 15, 2013, 08:49 Prez

I also find it hilarious that the folks on the left who always argue the liberal view in these threads on BN always claim they're not liberal, you do it, beamer does it, you're both full of shit and it's obvious.

Still with the labels? Why not argue the point itself made by the individual, not the "typical liberal" or "typical conservative" point that he or she may not have even made? People can come to similar viewpoints by way of vastly different thought processes. We really need to get past the labels and other means by which we try to discredit a person before even hearing and understanding what they are saying. Otherwise what is the point of these threads at all?

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2013, 08:54.

- Mahatma Gandhi

69. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 14, 2013, 20:26 Prez

I'm a little surprised to see Blue link to such a politically charged topic as "Obamacare", but hey, it's his site.

I have deliberately remained mostly ignorant on the ACA so I could see for myself what it entailed instead of having someone else explain their version of the truth of it to me. Honestly, from what I've seen so far my reaction is one of "THIS is what the fuss is all about?" I assumed when the talking heads were calling it socialized medicine that it would mean free health care for those without jobs wholly subsidized by those of us with jobs. Instead it sounds like just any other plan from any other insurance company only with the Federal Government as the administrator. "But Prez, it's forcing companies to provide its full-time employees with healthcare!" To which I say, "And...? That's a bad thing how exactly?" Uninsured people are one of the things that drives the cost of healthcare for everyone - imagine if there were fewer uninsured people!

You can say that the government mandating things to corporations is anti-capitalist and that may be so, but before government regulation of corporations started factory workers who died at their machines from being over-worked and under- nourished were simply pushed out of the way to make room for a live worker to work the machine. Ah the good ole early 1900's, dontcha miss 'em? Corporations have repeatedly shown that often the only way they will do the right thing is if they are made to. So while I am pro-Capitalist in the general sense, the need for government mandates and regulation is obvious to me. Enron and Worldcom anyone?

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2013, 20:40.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 13, 2013, 21:14 Prez

nin wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 17:57:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 16:02:
Also, Papers Please is $6 on sale on Steam right now.

I'm broke, but I'm still grabbing that one...

Careful! Spending money you don't have without a proper budget in place can cause a nin household shutdown! That would be terrible! Look at how bad things are with the government shutdown! Oh wait; there's virtually no difference whatsoever! In that case carry on!

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Console Emulation Through Steam
14. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 13, 2013, 16:43 Prez

Emulation is piracy because everyone just pirates their ROMs.

EXTREMELY faulty logic.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Thief Gameplay Trailer
45. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 12, 2013, 17:28 Prez

Wub! Wub! (whatever that means) Wub! Wub!

LOL!

- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2013, 17:26 Prez

When it comes to fast food I have one rule pretty much: if it tastes good, I eat it. Depending on how healthy or unhealthy it is I'll moderate it accordingly, but I love me some McNuggets drenched in sweet and sour sauce (Hmm, why is my arm tingling? ). Surely the two unnamed fast food outfits are McDonalds and Wendy's, since they are the two big ones that sell them.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2013, 14:55 Prez

jdreyer wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 14:49:
Arizona solar plant achieves six hours after sun goes down.

I've been reading about concentrated solar power (CSP) for about a decade, and think it's a key component if future energy production since it allows solar created energy to be used at night. Glad to read that this one is operating successfully.

The SW US could produce most of the electricity for the entire US using a combination of PV and CSP. High voltage DC only loses 5% of it's power over 1000 miles, so the distance isn't really a concern.

It's neat technology, but egads, if 3 square miles is needed to produce only 280 Megawatts what size facility would be needed to power a city the size of New York? The number of mirrors/panels and the acreage to put them on would be HUGE.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Steam Controller Demonstration Video
17. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 11, 2013, 17:28 Prez

Maybe I'm easy to impress, but that video impressed me. Honestly though it's really going to come down to a hands-on test for everyone to really understand how close to a m+k setup this controller is. A video can't really convey enough.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Space Hulk: Space Wolves Plans
5. Re: Space Hulk: Space Wolves Plans Oct 11, 2013, 15:11 Prez

Despite the lukewarm reviews this received I am still interested in it. The developers have been working hard to make it better since release so that's good.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 11, 2013, 12:32 Prez

What Creston said. This isn't Rockstar's first rodeo - when it comes to licensing music you have to figure they are going to have their ducks in a row. I'd be surprised if this didn't get thrown out.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Space Rangers HD Next Week
8. Re: Oct 10, 2013, 13:04 Prez

skyguy wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 12:43:
Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 11:02:
I could have sworn they released an updated version like a year or so ago? With more missions, more adventures, etc.

Space Rangers 2: reboot was released a few years ago.

Space Rangers 2 is a sequel to the first; it surpassed the original but the first still has its charm. SR2 Reboot added all that stuff to the sequel. To my knowledge there has never been an update to the original prior to this one.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Space Rangers HD Next Week
1. Re: Space Rangers HD Next Week Oct 10, 2013, 10:05 Prez

AWESOME! One of my favorite games ever!  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 10, 2013, 06:19 Prez

Beyond the nostalgia factor (and maybe there's a bit of "retro cool" involved), I can't imagine why anyone would want to use vinyl records over cd's. They were such a pain!  

- Mahatma Gandhi

12447 Comments. 623 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo