Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 12678 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > South Park: The Stick of Truth Australian Censorship Explained
5. Re: South Park: The Stick of Truth Australian Censorship Explained Dec 18, 2013, 10:39 Prez

Trying to censor a Southpark game seems kinda pointless. After a while all the game would consist of is a title screen and closing credits!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay
105. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 18, 2013, 10:36 Prez

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 10:20:
Verno wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 10:05:
He's right though, you do seem to have an absurd hateboner for this game. I don't get the urgency either, if they rush it's just going to be a shitshow and everyone will say RAHHHH TOLD U SO. A delay is perfectly reasonable in the context and this stuff happens in the industry all the time, this isn't the 10th delay or something silly. For the record I have $0.00 invested in this game before someone says I'm trying to excuse Chris Roberts and co.
but but but he is just hating on it because he wants the game to succeed!!!

Ahh, I get it. The "negative reinforcement" motivational technique! Or would that be de-motivational?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay
92. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 18, 2013, 00:55 Prez

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 10:38:
not sure why you guys throw stones at them the first time they delay something.

I think that it's because the epic implosion of something so huge with so much money and such a big name involved would make for great reading, kind of like the soap opera that was "38 Studios", so they are hoping for failure.

Seriously though, I have my doubts about this game myself but I remain cautiously optimistic. It's not Chris Roberts' first rodeo; the man has delivered epic gaming experiences in the past. Aside from hoping this project will work out because I would love an epic space sim, I don't think the implications for future kickstarter projects will be good at all if this fails, so that gives me another reason to root for its success.

EDIT: And I think Blue is right; the way the say they are progressing faster and are delaying the earliest module in the same post is a bit jarring. While both are separate and unrelated, including both in the same post creates a bit of irony at least.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2013, 01:01.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Dec 17, 2013, 21:42 Prez

The World Finally Ends for Infamous Doomsday Preacher Harold Camping

Good riddance to a shameless charlatan.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > DayZ Early Access
51. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 17, 2013, 00:32 Prez

DangerDog wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 00:19:
I don't feel sorry for anyone who buys this, Valve shouldn't issue any refunds, period.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think people would want refunds? Is there something they are not being clear about on their store page?

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > On Sale
40. Re: On Sale Dec 17, 2013, 00:31 Prez

20 newest releases? Hell, Steam can get that many new titles in 3 days time. I watch the new release list religiously because I'm a total Steam whore so I should know. The new releases listing goes in bunches of ten up to 100 and even the hundredth game on that list only released 5 weeks ago. That's an average of 20 new games a week, so if you are looking only at the newest 20 you aren't getting a representative sample. Hell, even if you look at the top 100 you aren't getting much of a sample.

On a side note, Revelations didn't even have to go through Greenlight for whatever reason.

Really? Then I'd love to know what kind of standard Valve has for which games they allow themselves and which they leave up to the community because that game is ass, and far worse than many titles that Steam flat-out said "no" to prior to Greenlight.

- Mahatma Gandhi

49. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 17, 2013, 00:17 Prez

Two reasons that wouldn't fly. The available server(s) would likely be overloaded into uselessness with no purchasing barrier in place and I doubt Valve would be willing to foot the bandwidth bill for those free client distros w/o receiving compensation.

Well Valve allows free Demo downloads, and some of them are quite large. Not to mention people are downloading free 2 play games off of Steam now. And bandwidth? Surely it wouldn't be any worse than on Steam sale days when Steam just quits working for stretches of time because it's massively overloaded.

- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Into the Black Dec 16, 2013, 22:27 Prez

Asmo wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 22:19:
I can mention them both in one sentence...

"If they did a movie mashup of The Godfather and The Mask, it would still be more coherent and suck less than Avatar"

Okay, you got me!

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
20. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 16, 2013, 22:25 Prez

And a Federal judge rules today based on a preliminary cursory review that the spying program is "probably unconstitutional". He or some other Federal judge needs to take it further and put the Patriot Act under the same microscope. It is what opened this whole can of worms to begin with. It's also really the only reason people aren't frickin' going to jail for the rest of their lives and Obama isn't getting impeached right now over this unbelievable, blatantly unconstitutional over-reach of governmental power. We actually have a law that gives free reign to the Federal Government to violate the Constitution in the name of "security". I've never been more ashamed to say I am American than I am right now.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2013, 22:34.

- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Into the Black Dec 16, 2013, 22:10 Prez

Actually Avatar was a fine film for a big budget summer blockbuster, which are usually high on star power, style, and whizbang effects while low on plot, meaningful dialogue, and depth. But unless they remove the silly generalizing stereotypes, make the characters WAY more deep and interesting, actually write their own plot instead of "borrowing" from "Dances With Wolves" and "The Last Samurai", and actually write dialogue at higher than a 6th grade level, it is simply not fathomable that any Avatar movie could even be mentioned in the same sentence as "The Godfather". Sorry James, but that's just the way it is.

SlimRam wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 20:31:
Well I can see the obvious comparisons between the two films. I mean....well...both movies...had...uh...well...characters...um...doing things on film.

And there you go, plain as day

LMAO! That is great.

Quboid wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 20:22:

The plot was 1 dimensional, the characters were 1 dimensional and the dialogue was 1 dimensional. That makes it a 3D movie, right?

ROFLMAO!!! You guys are killing me! Lol_dies

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2013, 22:15.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Previews
28. Re: Morning Previews Dec 16, 2013, 22:04 Prez

Seriously though, this is not a valid excuse. They should get the fundamentals right first. An engaging, varied and interesting in-depth TB combat system should have been a priority. If you have to, then make the game world smaller. Remove some of the filler. Scale down on some parts. But you MUST get the basics right.

The combat system can be tweaked based on player feedback though. That is exactly what a beta is for, isn't it? From what I'm reading it isn't horrible; it just needs some work.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > On Sale
38. Re: On Sale Dec 16, 2013, 21:49 Prez

You can't assume that just because you have no interest in a game, nobody else does either.

Well gee thanks! I am not stupid you know. Dunce (Or maybe I am, just a little, but I don't stoop to making idiotic assumptions like the one you suggested - that's just insulting). But I vote shitty looking games down since that's is the way the service was intended by Valve from the beginning. I can't help it if someone else gets their panties in a twist about it. If more people did this it's possible we wouldn't see the torrent of samey, unexciting, and often just plain terrible games being dumped on Steam like we are right now. I would think any fan of quality games would agree; wading through tons of crap makes finding the quality games (platformers too) a chore. Even though I came in bitching about sidescrollers, I hate the torrent of craptastic F2P MMO's that is currently flooding Steam too. And even though I love FPS's and other types of first-person games, how in the hell did Revelations 2012 and Garry's Incident get on there? The universal consensus is that they are utter crap. Either people are up-voting EVERYTHING, or Valve is being disingenuous with Greenlight.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2013, 21:56.

- Mahatma Gandhi

42. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 21:37 Prez

A Rogue-like where ganking newbs is the raison d'etre? Count me out!

On the subject of early access, I hear what the naysayers are saying but personally I think it's a great thing. What would make it even better though is if the first 24 hours were free, so you could decide if the game is in a state you are willing to pay for now or would rather hold off until release (or just avoid it completely, if you decide it's not for you).

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2013, 22:16.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > On Sale
35. Re: On Sale Dec 16, 2013, 04:18 Prez

If you make the game you want to make and people enjoy it, what's the problem? People who don't like your games don't have to buy them.

There's no problem if that's what devs genuinely want to make. I didn't say I wanted ALL developers to do it. I said it would be nice to see A small developer (meaning "one") do it. Bethesda and Bioware don't make only RPG's because they lack the funding, manpower, or ability to do anything else. Lots of indies however only make sidescrollers (platformers!) because the DO lack those things. I'm positive you said this yourself in a past discussion.

I don't think that's entirely true. I think people vote for the games they are genuinely interested in seeing come to Steam. Granted, this interest may be relatively light but I don't think anyone votes for a game out of a sense of charity.

I've been lambasted in different threads both here and on Steam forums for down-voting games that don't interest me, so yeah, it happens. I got lectured about how my downvotes on games are potentially keeping games off of Steam that other people may want to see on there on this very site on more than one occasion. I don't care, mind you; I'm just pointing it out to illustrate that people do use the voting like a charity system.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > On Sale
33. Re: On Sale Dec 16, 2013, 01:35 Prez

You, Quinn and Burrito are the vocal minority in this particular case.

That may be so, but given the nature of the 2D platformer it is the easiest and cheapest to make, and by extension the easiest to be profitable with. Meaning theoretically even if the vast majority of users hate them, there really only has to be a small number of dedicated fans buying them to encourage the devs to keep making them. Which, again, is fine; there's room for everyone in the PC space. But I would like to see a small new developer make one or 2 successful 2D platfromers, then with their profits branch out into the more expensive and challenging types of games instead of continually pumping out more 2D platfromers. You said yourself the reason there are so many 2D sidescrollers is largely because of logistical reasons (finances, manpower, difficulty in engine creation, etc.), so hopefully more indie developers start taking some risks as they get profitable instead of playing it safe with the quick and easy. (With "easy" again being relative; I can't code worth a damn so even a 2D platformer wouldn't be easy for me).

I agree that there should definitely be some form of quality control, not just for indie games but for all games. The problem is that quality is often a subjective notion. Burrito may think Teslagrad is a generic piece of crap but for people who actually enjoy 2D puzzle platformers, it's a solid game (based on the reviews and forum feedback I've read).

Thats what the Greenlight thing was supposed to be for. Unfortunately people treat it like sort of a charity - basically up-voting everything because they want to help out all of the fledgling game makers. I often get criticized because I actually "thumbs down" on a lot of games., even though the question is pretty specific. It says "Would you buy this game if it were on Steam?" I answer truthfully; but from what I gather in forums most people don't. If a game looks like generic crap it ought to be voted down and NOT make it on Steam.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2013, 01:41.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > On Sale
31. Re: On Sale Dec 16, 2013, 00:53 Prez

The best solution is to simply admit that you don't like the perspective and leave it at that.

In fairness I don't know if this was necessarily directed at me, but in any case I'm pretty sure I have made it clear that I don't like 2D Sidescrollers in other threads. (And for the record, 2D sidescroller generally refers to 2D sidescrolling platformer, which may be general but it does have a set of inherent gameplay one expects to encounter when playing.) However, I also don't like MMO's or adventure games (though Walking Dead is an exception) but I can appreciate the nuances in them even so. In my opinion there just isn't a lot of room for much nuance in a 2d sidescrolling platformer because of the inherent restrictions of the perspective. A 2D sidescrolling stealth game like Mark of the Ninja honestly feels identical to a 2D action shooter like Shank to me. I played Terraria for many hours despite my dislike of 2D sidescrollers because I found it somewhat addicting, but I enjoyed it despite the annoyance inherent to a 2D sidescroller, not because of them. Point is, I am not a 2D sidescroller newbie - I have played many of them that are supposed to be from different genres.

That said, I don't want to put down someone else's tastes simply because they like something I don't. I was simply agreeing with Quinn and Burrito that it worries me that we are being flooded with samey 2D sidescrollers by the truckload on Steam. It was bad enough when everybody and their uncle felt the need to make a "Doom Clone" given how Doom exploded the popularity of the FPS. It's far worse with 2D sidescrollers because they are comparitively cheap and easy to make; like I said in my last post, without some sort of quality control you enbd up with just a massive deluge of indie games, a vast majority of them sidescrollers, with probably 98% of them utter crap by anyone's standards. I would be equally worried if every iteration of whatever crap some kid could pump out with "RPG-maker" ended up on Steam, and I love RPG's.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2013, 00:59.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > On Sale
27. Re: On Sale Dec 15, 2013, 22:00 Prez

Saturated market." 2D side scroller puzzle platformer has, what, a couple of hundred entries now on Steam that all behave exactly the same way? They all do their best to show you just how puzzly and platformy they are but...who cares? What makes your one title standout from the 1066 titles that are currently listed on Steam as indie games? The answer is...NOTHING! Oh, your wacky, off-beat "humor" in your ridiculously generic and samey game is supposed to? Sorry, I saw that in 492 other titles, too.

Despite being a bit harsh, I gotta agree with this. I'm not saying that sidescrollers are all bad, or that they shouldn't be on Steam, but when I look at screenshots and trailers of different games in other genres I can see differences that just aren't apparent in screns and vids of 2D sidescrollers. They all look like they are EXACTLY the same. Maybe not always in visuals, though they very often are basically clones of one another, but virtually every one seems like it relies on the exact same game mechanics. I can see a multitude of differences in looks and gameplay between Shadow Warrior and Sanctum even though they are both FPS's; and I can discern many differing mechanics between Grim Dawn and Path of Exile depsite that they are also in the same genre and have the same perspective. There is absolutely nothing ostensibly exciting or different about "2D Sidescroller of the Week #4697". I get the point that they are cheap and easy to make, but with the flood of them coming on Steam each week you have to wonder if there is any quality control whatsoever, or are they just dumping every piece of 8-bit crap that some guy dreaming of becoming the next Notch cobbles together in a weekend on there. Personally I'd prefer one or two new games a month to what we have now.

Obviously there will be games like Terraria (and presumably Starbound) that yield many rewards that simply cannot be shown in a screenshot or 30 second trailer (the old "Looks aren't everything" adage), but when they look so samey and so frickin' dull, I don't feel compelled at all to try and find the one that does actually have some innovation that amounts to more than a cutesy gimmick.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2013, 22:11.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2013, 21:35 Prez

LOL at Dallas. Tony "Oh NO!" Romo is up to his usual tricks. Nothing like consistency!

And China's on the moon. I wonder if Gil Scott Heron will do a song about it?

I'm actually wondering if I'm the only one hoping that China sends its rover to the coordinates of the US Lunar mission to take a pic of the flag left there by Armstrong's gang. It would put the whole "we didn't really land on the moon" conspiracy to rest at least.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2013, 21:42.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 15, 2013, 20:01 Prez

If I'm to get 50 or 60 hours gameplay (or more) out of a game - as I expect I will with Wastelands 2 - $60 is nothing to me. It's the 5 hour throwaway single player games like Call of Duty that I won't pay that much for. That's just a waste. It is extremely doubtful that 60 bucks will be the release price anyway. Look at Planetary Annihilation - in alpha it cost $90, in beta it's costing $60, and the release price is going to be at least 10 bucks less than that according to the devs.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2013, 20:08.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs
51. Re: MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs Dec 15, 2013, 06:48 Prez

Nighthawk wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 04:37:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 21:46:
I feel quite certain that it's not the developers who come up with the idea of adding microtransactions...

You could ask Bethesda, I can't think of any example prior to horse armour that would be considered uTX (u/µ is the sign for micro) before that.

IIRC the community response back then was overwhelming negative, so much so that it was the first and ONLY example of them using microtransactions with Oblivion. It even became a source for future self-mocking by Bethesda, and was in at least one April Fool's joke that I can remember. I wonder what has changed since then, as gamers buy the equivalent of horse armor by the truckload every day in all of their games nowadays.

- Mahatma Gandhi

12678 Comments. 634 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo