Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 12835 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Tomb Raider "Exceeded Profit Expectations"
27. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 15:59 Prez

...as if they invested heavily and only achieved average sales then it can be deemed a disappointment.

I'm not an industry expert or a development guru but I still feel qualified to say that if the numbers that Tomb Raider has pulled in are a disappointment or can be considered "average" I'm pretty sure that either:

A. They invested WAY TOO HEAVILY. I mean if 6 million sales can be even remotely disappointing...

B. Their expectations were so ridiculously unrealistic that they'd be better off listening to a Magic 8-Ball than the projections of in-house "experts".

Don't get me wrong; I get the point that publisher expectations and developer expectations may not always line up, but for anyone to publicly complain that millions of sales in the first few weeks is somehow disappointing comes across as painfully clueless, thus the overall reaction.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 12:38 Prez

Jivaro wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 09:49:
Then again, I have a beef with origin stories in general. I am the guy who keeps wondering how many times we have to see Peter Parker get bit buy the radioactive spider.

No kidding. It's almost like movie producers decided that they can do this "fan fiction" thing that's so popular on the internets so all of them want to make their own version of everything popular. Enough already!**

**Except for the Terminator reboot. The way I see it after the terribly written Terminator Salvation a reboot is the only way we are ever going to get another Terminator movie that has the potential to not suck. :-)

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 12:32 Prez

The two face of Square Enix. Which one speaks the truth? Which one is the mask, and which one is the real? Bah, who cares - they just sound clueless.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2014, 01:14 Prez

Finally Blizzard has started making good decisions with Diablo 3. Now I am a little more hopeful that there will be a true offline singleplayer experience.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > MS Planning DirectX 12
90. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 23:26 Prez

I wonder, is it the same folks coming down on windows phone as being insignificant and about to die, the same group that defends Linux as a strong alternative?

For the record I was saying that I hope it would one day become an alternative, not saying that it is currently.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > MS Planning DirectX 12
73. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 17:23 Prez

What I am interested in is an API that works on Linux. Does OpenGL do that? If so, screw DirectX. Given how Valve has made a push towards Linux AND how much clout they have in the industry, I'm hoping 2014 is the year where the majority of games made can run on Linux too. I am very very intent on shedding mhyself of all things Microsoft.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth
20. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 13:08 Prez

From the reviews they obviously took full advantage of the license. I am SOO getting this!

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2014, 19:22.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Mar 4, 2014, 08:40 Prez

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 02:47:
at a cost of around $10,000 per dev-month

I'm sorry, what? Devs cost 10K per fucking month???

It's a confusing statement. Could it mean that the game's averaged cost of development per month was $10,000?

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2014, 15:51 Prez

Rumor: New Matrix Film Trilogy in the Works.

I hope this is true. I really liked the Matrix trilogy myself. I actually never got why so many people thought the plot became impenetrable in the second movie with the architect and his jazz - it made sense to me. I didn't care for the ending too much, but it wasn't Mass Effect 3 bad.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. New U.S. tax bill singles out video game studios for tax hike Feb 27, 2014, 10:12 Prez

Were it to become law, the R&D credit will exclude companies that make violent video games.

Of course the loopholes that mega corporations swimming in billions of dollars of profits and billionaires take advantage of will remain unaffected.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > X Rebirth Patch & Future Plans
18. Re: X Rebirth Patch & Future Plans Feb 26, 2014, 11:52 Prez

nin wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 11:50:
Cutter wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 11:43:
nin wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 09:38:
They should name a patch "Creston's Disappointment".

The industry should adopt the Creston standard for QAing products. It will be like what they're doing with Starbound, 'Furious Creston', 'Enranged Creston', 'Amazed Creston', etc.

I second this!!!

Creston's lament!, Creston's scorn!, etc, etc...

I am liking this idea!!

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > THIEF Reviews
129. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 26, 2014, 10:06 Prez

Post 124 - "Enjoying it so far, don't see what the fuss was all about."

Post 123 - "This game is straight GARBAGE! You have been warned."

Post 114 - "I've been playing it a bit tonight and your experience mirrors my own. I just don't see what all the bitching was about. I truly don't. These horrible glaring flaws people talked about in the reviews are orders of magnitude less dire than they led us to believe. They are barely worthy of mention."

Ahh the dichotomy of opinions. I love you internet!

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > X Rebirth Patch & Future Plans
6. Re: X Rebirth Patch & Future Plans Feb 26, 2014, 10:03 Prez

I'm assuming that the patch notes on removing forced landings on stations refers to fixing the issue with not being able to see what is being traded on each station without landing. That was a huge complaint I heard repeatedly from people. Hey at least they are making the effort.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling
11. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 20:45 Prez

Fletch wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 20:26:
GameAnger wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 19:31:
Compare this to leveling an entire character to 90, I like the idea.

Isn't leveling a character supposed to be the fun/point of the game?

Exactly what my first thought was. But then I remembered that people play MMO' s for different reasons than we play single player games. If you are playing with friends it's a drag for everyone involved to play together with characters of vastly different levels.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
39. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 25, 2014, 18:54 Prez

I couldn't hope to give a better answer than Scottish Martial Arts, but in general I found the breakdown of political affiliation in the military largely mirrors what you find in the general populace. A lot depends on where the people at your command are from; your young guys from Alabama and Mississippi are going to lean right; inner city minorities will tend to lean left. These aren't hard and fast rules though. You really learn the intricacies of different people's viewpoints and value systems when you are forced into close quarters as I was in the submarine force. You learn to appreciate and even celebrate differences as it makes the otherwise unbearably stagnant and oppressively dull existence while underway a little less so by spicing things up. At any rate I can definitively say that it makes it painfully apparent that nothing is as cut and dried and black and white as how Axis interprets the world.

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2014, 19:01.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > PC Deus Ex: The Fall Next Month
18. Re: PC Deus Ex: The Fall Next Month Feb 25, 2014, 12:35 Prez

J wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 10:03:
I never asked for sloppy seconds!

Some of us are happy just to get any at all!

Wait, are we talking games here?

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2014, 09:16 Prez

I have a friend at work who comes to me with his computer needs since I'm the closest thing to a computer geek he knows. Yesterday he brought me his brand new laptop and said in an exasperated tone "Please take this thing and put Windows 7 on it. I just can't use windows 8 anymore. It is AWFUL." He is a low tech, lite PC user. This is the exact type of person that Windows 8 was supposed to appeal to, and he can't get away from it fast enough.

I am leaning towards leaving Windows 8 on it and just installing Classic Shell; I suspect that is the far easier solution.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > PC Deus Ex: The Fall Next Month
4. Re: PC Deus Ex: The Fall Next Month Feb 25, 2014, 09:11 Prez

Well, I'll at least try it. But I really want a Human Revolution sequel. I thought that game was great. I can't wait to dive into the new edition next week during my off time.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

71. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 24, 2014, 18:36 Prez

harlock wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 17:11:
Quboid wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 16:27:
I didn't really get the "bury head in sand" thing either. Did anyone? For some reason you seem to think that respecting the opinion of a particular critic is akin to burying one's head in the sand - is that right?

no thats not it

if you dont want to understand it, you wont.. plain and simple - and thats another aspect ImOof the same thing.. which makes it all so tidy

if you want the game to be good, its going to affect your judgment.. if you want to be critical, that will affect your judgment

if you want to gloss over things, that will affect your judgment.. if you want to see clearly, that will affect your judgment

hopefully you have a better picture by now, if not, go ahead and blame yourself

How the hell did I not peg you for Space Captain earlier? This makes this your... what, 3rd alter ego since being banned? I thought you were too good for this place?

- Mahatma Gandhi

44. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 24, 2014, 15:30 Prez

harlock wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 13:34:
NKD wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 13:25:
TotalBiscuit seemed to like it a lot. Good enough for me.

shouldnt "good enough for you" be based on how much you like it? whats stopping anyone from playing this game? adequate peer pressure?

at the same time it doesnt mean people who dont like it are going away, or dont exist, or arent capable of forming opinions either

"gonna bury my head in the sand, because, damnit, i wanna" .. heh ok go for it - but make sure to tell everyone before you do

Jesus, how about some perspective? Some people have reviewers that they know have tastes closely aligned with their own. Total Biscuit tends to be over critical if anything in my experience; for him to say he likes a game is usually a good indication that it may be worth trying out for me. I have no idea where the whole "bury my head in the sand" comment came from - it makes no sense in the context of the discussion.

- Mahatma Gandhi

12835 Comments. 642 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo