Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 13116 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Total War: ATTILA Announced
5. Re: Total War: ATTILA Announced Sep 25, 2014, 21:36 Prez

I LOVE the Total War series as much as anyone but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find this revelation a little disappointing...  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 25, 2014, 10:47 Prez

I find this article reprehensible. Hiding the names of the authors simply because they are female (melodramatic much?) is just another thinly veiled attack on gamers as misogynist neanderthals. I still tried reading the words of the supposed developers but I just couldn't take it anymore after the third one. Between making the whole thing about misogyny AGAIN when it is not, and spewing such melodrama as to belong on a daytime soap opera is too much for me to take. I call bullshit on this whole piece of tripe they are calling an article. I really need to learn to stop giving these classless unscrupulous fucks in the gaming press the clicks.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 24, 2014, 15:30 Prez

Here's hoping Chick beats his cancer. He's a great writer; I've always enjoyed his work.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2014, 15:27 Prez

The loss of Firefly is still painful to me.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Ancient Space Released
3. Re: Ancient Space Released Sep 24, 2014, 12:06 Prez

Looks fantastic for a budget game. Hopefully Strategy Informer reviews it soon.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG
60. Re: Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG Sep 24, 2014, 08:02 Prez

I don't know if Blizzard developers work on one project at a time or multiple projects at once, but imagine if you worked on a project every day for 7 years and then it just gets canceled and all that work was for nothing. That has got to be soul-crushing.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG
51. Re: Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG Sep 23, 2014, 23:44 Prez

Redmask wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 15:57:
Maybe they can get back to making some singleplayer games again.

Who am I kidding?

They could still maybe do more with Starcraft, but I think Blizzard has been playing it way too safe for way too long. Enough with the old franchises and milked-to-death MMO's - make something new and fresh. Unless being part of Activision has totally lobotomized them there should still be SOME creative genius left at Blizzard.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Steam Discovery Update
29. Re: Steam Discovery Update Sep 23, 2014, 05:27 Prez

Personally I like most of the changes, but I think the only way Steam can please everyone is by making the storefront (and the library and community pages too) customizeable by the user. This way everyone can set up their page the way they prefer.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions
41. Re: Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions Sep 23, 2014, 04:59 Prez

I'm not so quick to write off Early Access myself; there have been a number of success stories. For example, 'Shadowrun', 'Prison Architect', 'Planetary Annhilation', and 'Divinity Original Sin' all were on Early Access and are great games. 'Grim Dawn', 'Kerbal Space Program', and 'Sir You Are Being Hunted' are already awesome and they aren't even out of Early Access yet. The 'Long Dark' looks very interesting too.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
95. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2014, 21:39 Prez

Anyway, someone linked me to The Amazing Atheist's YouTube video today...

The only video I could find was the one where the Amazing Atheist got a guest (the "Investigamer") to speak on the subject. He didn't seem nearly as abrasive and controversial as the AA. He made a very good case actually. I especially like the point he makes about the hypocrisy of the gaming press buying into all of Sarkeesian's melarchy yet going out of their way to discredit the video by Christina Sommers, who utterly trounces Sarkeesian in credentials, experience, and education. She also happens to be a lifelong feminist.

Her lengthy experience and qualifications seem irrelevant to many commentators however, with controversial gaming outlets such as Kotaku and Polygon, who have been heavily involved in the recent GamerGate scandal, have dismissed the entire piece, slandering her as a conservative and anti-feminist for her dim opinion on industry personalities such as Anita Sarkeesian- whom she called out as unqualified ‘Hipsters’.

The reason behind this? It’s because the video was published by the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think tank whose members also include former members of the Bush administration. Now, let me make something crystal clear. Dr Sommers is not the AEI. They are just the folks that publish her videos onto YouTube. To balance things out, she also writes for ‘liberal’ publications such as Slate, TIME, and the Huffington Post. Putting the cherry on the cake, Dr Sommers is also a registered democrat. Remember what I said about slander? Yeah. The politicisation of sites like those owned by Gawker and Vox has become a real issue within the industry, and this unprofessional behaviour from the full time professionals is pretty damning proof.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2014, 21:51.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > PC GTA5 First-Person Support?
16. Re: PC GTA5 First-Person Support? Sep 22, 2014, 12:00 Prez

That would be SO awesome.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
87. Re: Op Ed Sep 21, 2014, 22:33 Prez

Beamer wrote on Sep 21, 2014, 16:45:
You were among the first here to decry "SJWs." You were never "willing to listen."

I have to disagree. I remember when Ana Sarkeesian videos started coming out he was not at all critical of them. Indeed (at the risk of putting words in his mouth) he seemed to accept some of what she was saying in principle. I am pretty sure he and I debated a bit about it in one of the threads.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans
51. Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 21, 2014, 22:28 Prez

Flatline wrote on Sep 21, 2014, 21:00:
Normally I'd agree with you but this is a "professional" game studio. You know, one that theoretically has experience with game budgets and shit. By banking on their pedigree, they're saying the're less of a risk, or could achieve more with less, than a more "amateur" effort.

There seemed to be less inherent risk in this project, so I don't fault anyone for getting in on the Early Access, but as they say in investing "past performance is NOT a guarantee of future results" - even the pros screw the pooch every so often as it seems they did here. Honestly I came very close to getting in on the early access for this because of the premise (reminded me of Startopia) and who was making it. I'm glad I waited.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 21, 2014, 21:45 Prez

So I guess Wasteland 3 is going to be in first person like Fallout 3 was? It better have Liam Neeson that's all I know!  

- Mahatma Gandhi

40. Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 21, 2014, 04:58 Prez

Do you? Where does it say on Steam that Early Access games have to be finished? No really, i want to know

No. How would they define "finished"? DayZ still isn't finished but it has sold a ton. I think in both kickstarter and Early Access the only obligation to "finish" the project is an ethical one. Double Fine "finished" Space Base DF-9 by labeling the last release 1.0. The community by and large disagrees that it is finished, but there isn't anything they can do except not back DF in the future.

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2014, 07:51.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
7. Re: Into the Black Sep 21, 2014, 01:30 Prez

Hahahahaha!!!! Newspapers? Hahahahaha!!! Want to charge??! HAHAHAHAHA!!! For ads?!?!!!!!?!!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
74. Re: Op Ed Sep 21, 2014, 01:23 Prez

...One side thinks the problems are in aggregate. The other side hears about the problems and thinks it means them as individuals...

What side do I fall on when I am against sexism but I don't see "problems" in what Sarkeesian is trying to crusade against? All I see is something that will fix itself on its own as the gaming industry matures.
... In this comparison are you really trying to say that the majority of games are hyperviolent / sexist? And you think people don't have a problem with movies being hyperviolent? There are groups that do but they're not being given any attention by the press industry covering films.

That's exactly how I see it too. Sarkeesian is being given way too much spotlight for making such a poor argument (not even close to the majority of games are violent or sexist). Hence, "Gamergate". It all ties in together.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 20, 2014, 22:51 Prez

Judge OKs serving legal papers via Facebook.

WHAT?!?! Shocked

- Mahatma Gandhi

32. Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 20, 2014, 22:37 Prez

Did you read the thread? This game was never on Kickstarter.

Woops. Actually I did in fact read everything; I just made the mistake of mixing up Early Access and Kickstarter. But honestly, if you transplant the words "early access" for "kickstarter", I still think everything I said applies. You are guaranteed NOTHING by buying into an Early Access project, just as in Kickstarter. The biggest difference is that Early Access provides backers with something to actually play instead of just a dream which is all that Kickstarter provides until release.

- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 20, 2014, 22:29 Prez

This is how kickstarter works - contributors are taking a risk, a calculated gamble that the dev will succeed in making the game they pitched in their design doc. The risk is that the game doesn't live up to its vision. Backers need to understand this, and that their only recourse is to be wiser about who they throw their money at in the future. So many people seem to not get this.

EDIT: This is not to say backers don't have a reason to be angry. On the contrary, according to the comparison of what was promnised and what was delivered, it seems they have every right to be pissed. This will end up costing Double Fine a lot more than the contributors in the long run. Their rep is going to take a huge hit over this.

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2014, 22:35.

- Mahatma Gandhi

13116 Comments. 656 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo