Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 12493 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 30, 2014, 23:05 Prez

Wow this marketing ploy smacks of some serious desperation. Not sure why though; despite being second in sales to PS4 the XBone is still selling pretty well from what I read recently.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Jan 30, 2014, 22:56 Prez

Amalur:Reckoning by all accounts is actually a very good game with great gameplay and writing that is a step above usual game story quality. It's problem was that it really lacked its own identity (or any identity really) and it was way too ambitious for a fledgling studio's first game. With production excesses reaching into the realm of ridiculousness the game would have had to sell near-unprecedented numbers to make up the development costs. With a generic title and and fairly generic fantasy setting there was just no way it was going to generate enough excitement to do so.

Long story short: though it was the game that sunk 38studios it still is worth playing. At 6 bucks it's an easy recommendation.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Jan 30, 2014, 22:21 Prez

Still no Pandora Tomorrow? Hitman Contracts finally got its licensing squared away and is now on Steam; why can't the second Splinter Cell do the same? It's been in limbo forever.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4
49. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 20:25 Prez

For me 'Simcity 2013' (a.k.a 'Simvillage Online') was the last straw for me concerning EA. Until they have a pretty substantial turnaround the way Ubisoft did following their draconian and obnoxious "Always-Online 'cos ALL PC Gamers Are Thieves" phase they are dead to me.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4
30. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 14:26 Prez

Veterator wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 14:24:
EA takes lessons from a lot of things. They just never seem to remember them when it'd be useful.

How many times in the last 5 years has EA said they were learning or changing things to improve anything? Probably as many times as they've had a big public problem, and it just keeps happening.

When it hits them in their financials and investors start grumbling loudly enough as they have with BF4 I think maybe they'll be a little more proactive in taking these particular lessons to heart. Often the best lessons are the most painful ones.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 28, 2014, 04:56 Prez

The U.S. Crackdown on Hackers Is Our New War on Drugs.

So does that mean the stupid "War on Drugs" is over? I need a hit in the worst way...

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Steam Top 10
84. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2014, 17:36 Prez

Just to throw my two cents in - this debate is pretty much mirroring the ones about kickstarter projects, especially ones by studios that aren't immediately considered as needing the financial help that KS provides. But to my mind it isn't about what dev studios that are attached to publishers with deep pockets should or shouldn't need. With Kickstarter (and now with Early Access) the point is that the devs conceivably are making a game that they could not get a publisher to sign off on. I don't know the inner workings of Bohemia Interactive but I assume that despite the success of the DayZ mod they were unwilling to put forth the full amount of capital required for development of a standalone DayZ game. Before the advent of things like KS and Early Access that would have meant the fans would have been left with nothing but a discontinued mod. Now with the Early Acess program, there is still a way for devs with uncooperative or risk adverse publishers to get games out to gamers. Honestly in my opinion that one huge plus outweighs any and all potential negatives and risks inherent to KS and EA.

As far as the question about Ubisoft doing Early Access, allow me to offer a hypothetical: Let's say Ubisoft ships "Watchdogs" too early to make the holiday season and it releases as a broken, buggy mess. Tens of thousands of refunds are demanded by angry preorder customers and the game fails disastrously. Typically in years past the series would have ended there. But let's say that the dev team knows it still has the potential to make the great game the promising premise of Watchdogs could potentially provide and does an Early Access for Watchdogs 2. Sure people would complain that a studio inside Ubisoft shouldn't need EA, and many others would understandably stay far away (once bitten, twice shy and all that). But those of us who are willing to give the dev team another try at that great game that Watchdogs could potentially be have a chance to not only get another game, but help shape it's development so the same mistakes aren't made. To me that kind of scenario ought to be a gamer's dream come true. So yeah, I'd be okay with a Ubisoft Early Access. And I think many others would be too.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2014, 17:45.

- Mahatma Gandhi

48. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2014, 01:49 Prez

Instead of designing a game for a bunch of suits, you get to design a game for your actual customers. Are there risks? Sure. But customers are made well aware of these risks before they spend any money.

Exactly. This is what gamers by and large have been saying they want for as long as I can remember; now that it's happening gamers are still unhappy. It's no wonder gamers have the reputation for being notoriously hard to please!

Honestly though, I've heard some of the same people that complain about designed-by-committee games where greedy suits make all the decisions and customer feedback is ignored like in the case of the disastrous Diablo 3 also complain about the rise of kickstarter and Early Access games. What exactly, I wonder, would be the ideal environment for game development in the minds of these people?

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > SOE Boss: Next Game "Dedicated" to Star Wars Galaxies Fans
22. Re: SOE Boss: Next Game Jan 26, 2014, 23:25 Prez

Sleep wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 19:14:
Wildone wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 17:19:
Every-single-person-here-will buy it

Yup and the people hating the loudest will pre-order. Tis the waay of things.

The only way I'll play it is if I'm basically made to. I have an old Navy buddy who wanted to hang out with me online so he bought me Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic (both are pretty bad but ToR is a friggin' travesty). Mostly I hang out with him on weekends playing these horribly boring and repetitive games wishing we could hang at a bar together instead, but it's better than nothing I guess.

- Mahatma Gandhi

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 26, 2014, 21:25 Prez

On a different topic, they FINALLY released the last hitman game, one of my favorites. Hitman contracts.

Anyone know how they finally did it? My understanding was that some music licensing was holding them back?

I saw that too. I had heard only that they got the licensing issue with the music in question but not specifically how they did it. Might have just taken the music out or something like that.

If you're worried about Early Access games drawing the attention away from finished games, then I think the real issue is that the finished games are less interesting than the Early Access ones. If DayZ or Rust were finished, they'd still be topping the charts.

As much as I hate the very idea of a game like DayZ, I have to agree with Jerykk here. Apparently DayZ is exciting people way more than the products of the big publishers and more established indies.

And for the record I don't see anything wrong at all with asking for a refund on a bad game, unfinished or not. If they are charging for it, then they have some expectations to meet that a free beta would not.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2014, 21:33.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
21. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 25, 2014, 22:34 Prez

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 21:47:
The longer I observe politics the clearer I see that Republicans and Democratic partisans are the biggest hypocrites on the face of the earth.

This shit all got passed after 9/11 with bipartisan support. None of this stuff is new, we've known about it for a decade.

The mainstream Democrats are hypocrites because they now embrace all of these things that they used to attack the Bush administration for.

The mainstream Republicans are hypocrites because they thought these policies were fine as long as they were in charge of them, and now act like Obama got all of this stuff passed single handed, and in secret.

The truth is that when people were saying "9/11 changed everything." after those attacks, this is exactly what they were talking about. The time to stand against this sort of thing was in 2002, but back then most mainstream Partisans were calling anyone who questioned it "anti-American".

Yep. This is it in a nutshell.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2014, 21:48 Prez

My wife's best friend has a child with severe autism and she blames it on everything from vaccinations to gluten in food products. She swears she has reams of materials from alternative medicine doctors that proves vaccinations cause autism. I just kind of change the subject when she starts talking about how regular doctors are in kahoots with big pharm and the FDA in keeping it secret. I mean what can I say to someone who honestly believes that?  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
13. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 25, 2014, 19:36 Prez

Does anyone think that US Government spying on its own citizens wouldn't be going on if Romney had won the presidency? The politicians left and right have been drooling for the opportunity to do what they are doing right now for decades. If you are still thinking in terms of left and right you're missing the bigger picture imo. Talk is cheap, so the Republicans making noise about things means nothing. ALL of the Federal Government is the bad guy here. We don't have anyone on our side except people like Snowden who take real action at great risk to themselves and the few independent Federal judges who have weighed in so far.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2014, 19:43.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
10. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jan 25, 2014, 19:27 Prez

As much as I absolutely loathe Apple I have to admit that I feel that they are not at fault for the tracking of American citizens, the Federal Government is. And it is deplorable.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Jan 25, 2014, 01:45 Prez

I got The Bureau - XCOM at Get Games - www.getgamesgo.com - for 7 bucks today in case anyone is interested. I am intrigued enough by the premise to risk that much at least.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online and Thief Each Rated "M"
91. Re: why??? Jan 24, 2014, 21:25 Prez

Games are fun, gamers suck.

My version is "Singleplayer games are fun; Mulitplayer gamers suck.

EDIT - For the record there was some explicit sexual activity going on in Max Payne 3's brothel level that felt like it belonged there. It would be kind of weird to be going through a brothel in Panama and NOT see something like that. So yeah, sex has a place in games. And one even handled it correctly.

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2014, 21:43.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Resident Evil 4 SD & HD Comparison
23. Re: Resident Evil 4 SD & HD Comparison Jan 24, 2014, 21:22 Prez

The most important question to me is whether this game supports mouse aim. They've already confirmed that there's no mouse support in the inventory screen. I need to know if there's mouse support when I'm looking around and aiming.

Agreed. I really hope they add proper mouse support.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > 50 More Steam Greenlights
2. Re: 50 More Steam Greenlights Jan 21, 2014, 21:53 Prez

I thought they were done with Greenlight...  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Resident Evil 4 HD Next Month
11. Re: Resident Evil 4 HD Next Month Jan 21, 2014, 13:12 Prez

If all they do is fix the horrible controls I'll be happy. I never got to enjoy RE4 properly because the port was awful.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jan 21, 2014, 12:31 Prez

What a stupid article. Or more precisely, the point he is making is stupid. Hardcore fans want the game NOW and buy it on release at full price because the price is irrelevant. More casual or experimental players buy it on a sale. It really isn't rocket science. It certainly isn't "bad for gamers".

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2014, 15:04.

- Mahatma Gandhi

12493 Comments. 625 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo