Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 13057 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
46. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 15:24 Prez

Wow - that is REALLY disappointing. I am SO glad I didn't back this. They have lost their way - they are supposedly making a spiritual successor to a game that did not force players to be online and still managed to be one of the defining moments of PC gaming.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds
5. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds Nov 15, 2014, 13:04 Prez

There was just no reason to rush this. They of course decided it had to be out in time for Xmas but it clearly wasn't worth it. Gamers buy games year round; look at how badly this is hurting their reputation. Was it worth it Ubisoft?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
25. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2014, 16:19 Prez

Scale is a magic word for so many cloud-based companies and services, but Beats and Spotify operate differently. Their margins don’t improve as they get larger. If Spotify bought the rights to songs for a flat rate, then every subscriber it adds would mean free money for the company. But that isn’t what it does. Instead, it spends a fixed proportion of its total revenue on royalties. So if Spotify doubles its subscriber base, it doubles the amount of money it pays out. It may be that Spotify will gain some power over the royalties it pays once it has a critical mass of customers, but right now, many people think it can never get ahead of its costs.

The worst-case scenario for Spotify isn’t losing to Apple. It’s discovering that its prize is insolvency. According to a report published by Generator Research last November, the current business model for streaming music is “inherently unprofitable.” Andrew Sheehy, the main author of the report, concluded: “Our analysis is that no current music subscription service—including marquee brands like Pandora, Spotify, and Rhapsody—can ever be profitable, even if they execute perfectly.”

Excerpt from Businessweek article in May 2014

That doesn't sound like Spotify is shafting artists while its makers go on lavish vacations in the Caribbean. It sopunds like the model is just broken altogether.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change "Any Time Soon"; DX10 Support Unlikely
33. Re: Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change Nov 14, 2014, 16:12 Prez

Yeah, 8GB is small potatoes these days. But if 8GB is required, then wouldn't it stand to reason that the "recommended" specs be around double that? Going on normal "required" vs. "recommended" ratios anyway.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Things IT people never say Nov 14, 2014, 15:57 Prez

My only wish is that they just not cap the framerate on the PC version. We are just going to remove the cap anyway via a tweak or fix anyway.

A personal anectodote about IT - throught the years of being here I've been able to determine who is or has been in IT here, and you guys are pretty smart. So why is it the IT department at my place are some of the most incompetent buffoons I've ever worked with? After 14 years I have lost count of the number of times they have done just facepalmingly stupid things that have made my job more difficult, and in October of this year they performed their best trick of stupidity yet by losing 100% of the data on the plant intranet LAN servers (despite it supposedly being automatically backed up every night) due to "a hardware failure". All of the hundreds of thousands of spare parts catalogued in SAP? GONE. Tens of thousands of archived work orders? GONE. 2 decades worth of job instructions on work procedures for intricately complicated and vital maintenance jobs? GONE. 8-years worth of NFPA and OSHA-mandated records of critical electrical power distribution maintenance and testing (that I performed and for which I am responsible)? Fucking GONE! Way to go IT Department! Jolly good show! Clap

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
21. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 14, 2014, 15:29 Prez

If no one was hurt by their actions, I don't really care what people do in their private lives (or even public lives) if they put out a good product. I still like Billy Bob Thorton, Mel Gibson and George Clooney movies even though I don't like them much as people. The claim that some of her hate speech "contributed to a suicide" as the article claims is worrisome, but without knowing the particulars of the exchange I can't count that as "hurting someone".

- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2014, 12:33 Prez

Doesn't licensing eat up all of that money? I think that streaming music is a great way for fans to find new bands and artists - I spend a lot of time shopping for mp3's and in a great many user reviews that I read a recurring theme is "I heard this band on Rhapsody/Pandora/Spotify/etc and came here immediately to buy the album..." It's hard to put a dollar value on that. Granted Taylor Swift doesn't need that kind of exposure, so it holds little value for her, but for hard rock and metal bands that get virtually no radio play it is great exposure. I found my new favorite metal band, Allegaeon that way. Most exciting metal band in years.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2014, 11:02 Prez

Verno wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 10:54:
Prez wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 10:24:
Taylor swift has made "Less than $500,000 across hundreds of millions of plays."

The poor thing. She's probably starving. Maybe we should start a fundraiser.

If shes that poorly compensated, how well can anyone else be doing? I don't know shit about Taylor Swift other than she seems to mega popular but it seems like these companies aren't being fair about how revenue is split.

If what I've heard about the streaming audio business is true if they paid anybody any more than what they are currently they would basically be paying to stay in business. It doesn't seem to be a very sustainable business model unless Spotify is somehow different.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change "Any Time Soon"; DX10 Support Unlikely
7. Re: Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change Nov 14, 2014, 10:51 Prez

Xero wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 10:45:
"We are creating this game with the PC gamer in mind."

Not a bad idea considering they are funding your entire development.

They probably meant to say "We are creating this game with God's own PC in mind."

- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2014, 10:48 Prez

I see her point from a business standpoint. But seriously, a 'campaign'? Does she feel that the lack of proper compensation for her music really something I should feel bad about when considering that if she never made another dime in her life she would still have more money than her childresn's children can spend? just take your music off Spotify and be done with it. That was my point.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Warlords of Draenor DDoSed
4. Re: Warlords of Draenor DDoSed Nov 14, 2014, 10:31 Prez

Maybe it's just a case of them shrinking their bandwidth for the game faster than their player base is shrinking.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Grass Simulator Early Access
5. Re: Grass Simulator Early Access Nov 14, 2014, 10:29 Prez

Is this supposed to be clever or something?  

- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2014, 10:24 Prez

Taylor swift has made "Less than $500,000 across hundreds of millions of plays."

The poor thing. She's probably starving. Maybe we should start a fundraiser.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Nov 13, 2014, 20:56 Prez

Buggy releases are inexcusable but I still think Ubi is due some credit for releasing the PC version of games concurrently with the console versions.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Dead Bug Live Blog
33. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Dead Bug Live Blog Nov 13, 2014, 18:19 Prez

Beamer wrote on Nov 13, 2014:

Dude, that's definitely taking the bait.
I typed that about two seconds after waking up and kind of immediately regretted it (I hadn't fully waken up, thanks smartphones for letting me go to Blues immediately after turning off the alarm), but TotalBiscuit's endless waffling over whether he's a journalist that needs ethics or everyone else needs ethics and he doesn't (why else would he start claiming he isn't a journalist when he always said he was) kind of bugs me.

I took your bait so I guess that makes you a good troll!

Seriously though, I am a big fan of his. I think his waffling stems from the fact that his youtube channel is supported by a large gaming media entity, so he feels the need to tell people that he isn't a truly independent reviewer in the interest of full disclosure, but he still wants us to know that is far from being a true gaming journalist i.e. one who goes on trips paid for by big game publishers and gets invited to lavish trade show parties and the like.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Dead Bug Live Blog
28. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Dead Bug Live Blog Nov 13, 2014, 17:39 Prez

Beamer wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 11:10:
How can TB review a game if he has begun adamantly arguing he isn't a journalist?
Where is his code of ethics so we know he wasn't paid by EA to badmouth Ubi?

/s

I didn't miss your qualifier, and I normally don't presume to speak for an entire community, but I feel compelled to respond regardless. Total Biscuit/Total Halibut (same guy) is so respected BECAUSE he isn't considered a journalist. He and Mac (of "Worth-a-buy" fame/infamy) are, by and large, viewed by gamers as their peers, and as such their reviews are taken more as "User Reviews". Taking into account that TB is part of larger journalistic entity on YouTube his videos are still unapologetically independent and beholden to no one. Even when we disagree with him we pretty much feel it's because of differences in tastes, standards, tolerance, etc and not because he was paid off by someone. The same with Mac's reviews but he is more comedic value for some because of his epic meltdowns and rants. :-)

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2014, 17:45.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 12, 2014, 21:09 Prez

I wonder if by "pausing" ATT is actually just taking its toys and going home because of what Obama said yesterday.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2014, 20:34 Prez

20k is nothing. And that's only the very old and very young.

I am dreading another one like the 1918 Spanish Influenza that effectively ended WW1. It killed healthy and strong young men the most. Oh wait, no I'm not - I'm totally unhealthy and old so I would be safe. Never mind.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2014, 19:59 Prez

Verno wrote on Nov 12, 2014, 13:30:
There are no known Ebola cases in the U.S.

Hopefully this will finally put an end to discussions about unnecessary and economically damaging mass quarantines. The media fear mongering of this whole situation was absurd.

I liked Stephen Colbert's coining it "EbolaPalooza".

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Game Reviews
13. Re: Game Reviews Nov 12, 2014, 19:51 Prez

Beamer wrote on Nov 12, 2014, 11:09:
Only two kinds of embargoes bother me:

1) This one, which goes beyond launch. They should absolutely end when the game is on sale

2) Worse, the "can't publish until the day before unless the score is an 85." That not only spams with reviews of people that like games (and no game should be liked by everyone), but it gives someone that was thinking of giving, say, an 80 incentive to just give it 5 more points so that his review gets traffic

Agreed. I'd actually like to see all of the major game publications agreed to hold their reviews back until they bought the game themselves and played through it. That would be journalist collusion I could get behind. Other than that, beyond decrying the practice the game publications really have no recourse here.

- Mahatma Gandhi

13057 Comments. 653 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo