Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 12860 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 03:03 Prez

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 02:53:
Glad I didn't stay up for the 2nd Monday night game - geez. Score indicates a boring game, as well as Fitzgerald not doing squat for me.

I only caught the box scores. Were the Lions that good or were the Giants that bad?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Another Diablo III Season Exploit
3. Re: Another Diablo III Season Exploit Sep 9, 2014, 03:01 Prez

I'm confused by the term "Season". I don't play Diablo 3 and reading the Battlenet forums is not enlightening me, so out of curiosity I have to ask: What exactly is going on during this "Season" in Diablo 3? Is it simply a competition to see who can gain the most experience in a certain period of time? If so, I can see the problem with using exploits and cheats to level up faster.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 02:40 Prez

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 22:37:
Really Prez? Wow.

Ray Rice's reaction says it all, knocks out a woman with a punch, and doesn't react at all. Just stands there and looks at her body. I'm guessing it wasn't the first time.

Her behavior was awful. That is undeniable. The fact that Rice's behavior was even more awful doesn't change that. Why that deserves the exclamation "wow" is beyond me. Rice's punishment for his action is just, but nothing being said about her violence towards him sends the wrong message. When the only take-away from this is that hitting women is bad (which it is obviously, but I fall in the category of thinking all violence with few exceptions is bad), I feel the need to point out the bad behavior that goes unnoticed for a little balance I guess. Hitting anyone out of anger is bad, but apparently she gets a pass for continuously hitting him simply because she happens to lack the ability to cause him serious harm. If you get "She deserved it!" out of that it is because of you interpreting what I said through your own personal bias, not because it is true. I don't believe that at all. I would just like people to be consistent - violence is wrong regardless of who the perpetrator of it is.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2014, 02:52.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2014, 02:16 Prez

Squirmer wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 01:53:
But there's a flipside to that: if you consider yourself part of a community/culture, you must concede that you help to shape it in some small way. And that supports Alexander's argument that people have a responsibility to address problems. In the end, the only people that really have a right to complain are those who genuinely believe there are no problems in gaming culture.

You are right. One has to consider, however, that the reason sexism has become as large an issue as it currently is in gaming has far less to do with how rampant it is and far more to do with extremely wrong-headed arguments by crusading activists and extremlely disingenuous reporting on the part of the media. In short, the media that is complaining that the gaming community isn't taking sexism seriously and is calling the community sexist and misogynist has created the issue themselves!

Ana Sarkeesian uses woefully inadequate examples of supposed sexism and is not only is not called out for the factual errors, but is heralded as a champion. Those who question her point's veracity are ridiculed and silenced. Zoe Quin brings forth trumped up charges of sexism and harassment that didn't happen and nothing she says is vetted by the media, no explanation by the accused is ever sought and an innocent entity is slandered in the process. Antagonistically insulting and moralizing editorials are written by a press with zero moral authority, gaining the community's ire. The media sensationalizes every example of the random jerk leaving a hateful message to make it sound like much more than the vocal minority. No, that sexism and misogyny are the face of the gaming culture is the fault of the gaming press, not the gaming culture itself. THIS is why many of us despise the gaming press - they have the gall to attack us for an issue they created.

So yes you are right, it is the gaming community's responsibility to fix its own issues. However, the issue the gaming community is trying to fix is not the one the gaming press keeps harping about - the gaming community is trying to fix the shamefully corrupt and woefully inadequate gaming media.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2014, 02:28.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2014, 01:30 Prez

Well said PropheT!

Leigh Alexander's piece wasn't the worst thing I've read, but it was ill-advised (the title alone was especially provactive). As PropheT said, it helped foster the 'Us vs. Them' mentality of gaming journalism. It helped nothing and only fanned the flames. Being hyper-moralistic and acting superior to the community as if you are above it rather than part of it is going to piss off a huge segment of that community 100 times out of 100. Pretending that people only didn't like it because they are sexist neandrathals or indifferent to sexism is disingenuous to say the least.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
21. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2014, 21:58 Prez

Bungie Warns Destiny Day-One Reviews Might Not Tell the Whole Story.

Why not? As long as the review copies go out early enough and the reviewers spend enough time with the game to see all the content, they are as useful as any review. If the game is buggy and crashes a lot at release, that's not the reviewer's fault - ship a working product and it's a moot point. Easier said than done I know.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 8, 2014, 21:55 Prez

Facebook-surfing driver rear-ends car at 85 mph, kills elderly woman.

Ugh - that's awful. I bet that driver doesn't find Facebook all that important any more in light of the guilt they must be feeling.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Sep 8, 2014, 21:52 Prez

In a way I am really glad this whole goofy 'Gamergate' thing came about. It's funny as hell seeing the SJW's get mad and type some really face-palm stupid stuff out of frustration - endless entertainment!  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Interviews
7. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 8, 2014, 21:44 Prez

Romero is such an eminently unlikeable guy it's easy to forget he developed some of the best FPS levels in gaming history.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Sep 8, 2014, 21:41 Prez

Very cool sale/promotion. I really want Kerbal Space Program but I am waiting for the full release.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 8, 2014, 20:41 Prez

Well, I would prefer an Android phone, but with a free year of Prime it feels like Amazon is paying me 100 bucks to take their phone. So, I might get one, but being a smartphone newb, I need to know - can Google Play apps be sideloaded onto the device?  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Sep 8, 2014, 20:32 Prez

Maxis on the future of Sims: "If Sims 4 isn't successful, there won't be a Sims 5"

Makes me feel like I am accomplishing something positive by ignoring Sims 4 and its inevitable cavalcade of downloadable content!

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 20:16 Prez

The Escapist article is a good one, and though I take issue with a few points, I actually applaud them for it. It doesn't, however, make up for the fact that they themselves were instrumental in creating this whole shitstorm with their heretofore glaring lack of any journalism standards.
Our editor-in-chief, Greg Tito, having reviewed the facts at hand, concluded we ourselves have been imperfect in maintaining journalistic standards. A particularly problematic article, the one which generated his review, was about the alleged harassment of an indie developer by a forum community which denied the allegations but was itself victimized as a result of them. The article failed to cite the harassment as alleged, failed to give the forum community an opportunity present its point of view, and did not verify the claims or secure other sources. Mr. Tito has personally updated the article and spoken to all our editors about the importance of adhering to standards that will prevent such bad incidents from happening again. We, as a team, apologize for this error, both to our readers and to the forum community that suffered as a result. I, personally, apologize for this error, as well.

What they don't acknowledge is the obvious - that the lack of disclosure of these points was calculated and deliberate because they had an agenda. A simple oversight is forgivable; intentionally neglecting to point out very important facts that could serve to weaken your agenda is just slimy.

They want to be journalists? They want the gaming community to consider them journalists? It's going to take more than a fancy editorial and a listing of standards that should have gone without saying in the first place - it's going to take a basic understanding of what journalism means and an ongoing dedication to maintaining the standards involved therein. On a basic level, they need to understand that journalism and activism are two separate things. They can't be both - a journalist presents information as it exists in its entirety before giving their opinion (which is always ancillary to the facts if it is given at all) while an activist advances an agenda through a distinct bias towards what it is they are championing. I personally detest this retarded quest Ana Sarkeesian has undertaken for whatever deranged reason she has, but at least it has been obvious all along that she was a crusading activist. Up until now on the the gaming press, especially The Escapist, has been proclaiming themselves to be journalists while engaging in every bit as much activism as Quinn and Sarkeesian - and fooling many along the way - making them sleazy as well as wrong.

One nice editorial is not worth much to me.

- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2014, 17:50 Prez

Cutter wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 17:38:
Yeah, well his gold digging wife obviously doesn't seem to mind a shot to the chops. Now that's he unemployed I'm sure she'll be leaving in short order. And let's not forget, that broad was shoving and hitting him. No, it doesn't mean it's right for him to knock her out, just that no one should be hitting anyone to begin with. She's screaming at him and hitting him outside the elevator, then carries on in a confined space...not very good idea at the best of times, nevermind that your fiance is likely a 'roid monkey to boot. Sooner or later something's going to give.

Everyone always forgets the simple fact that women don't always act like the delicate little flowers the crusaders make them out to be. Dude went way too far by punching a woman he could have subdued easily, but damn, that women was being a total moron - it's really hard for me to feel that sorry for her.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
63. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 17:11 Prez

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 17:09:

And like any good gamer I also had a huge stack of gaming mags .. but I had to throw them away ;/////

My wife wishes to hell I would too. Half a closet's worth of space wasted...

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
59. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 17:05 Prez

Quboid wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 16:34:
Prez wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 15:10:
Quboid wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 15:04:
None of those are RPS. It was phrased badly but "gamers are over" wasn't attacking gaming culture, it was attacking bullying and bigotry in gaming. Nothing has proven their point more than the response, including the failure of people like you to see the difference between gaming and these behaviours.

I'm sorry but that's a bunch of crap. People ticked off by the gaming media's painting of gamers with such a broad brush is not proving the gaming media's point. Not a single one of us disgusted with how low gaming media has sunk in attacking its own market has any problem whatsoever recognizing the difference between bad behavior and gaming. That is such garbage I can't believe you would ever claim it.

Not people who are ticked off, people who are building blacklists based on conspiracy theories and playing six degrees of separation. People who are harassing the families of so-called journalists. People who have in turn prompted this response from RPS. There are people doing this and they are calling themselves gamers and believe they are doing these things in gaming's name. These people are absolutely treating bullying as a part of gaming culture.

Maybe so (and that's a bit different from your original point) but the vast majority of gamers over 13, and virtually everyone here, recognize this segment of "gamers" as assholes.

- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2014, 16:14 Prez

Verno wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 15:59:
Dude if I hated every team that has employed someone morally reprehensible in the NFL then there wouldn't be any teams to root for. I respect your opinion, as a lifetime dog owner I get it but I've followed the Jets for like 30 years and this one thing isn't going to ruin that. For a long time I wasn't even following the NFL itself, just keeping up with what was going on with the Jets.

Now if they would just start rewarding loyalty with performance

No it's cool; just needed to get that off my chest.

EDIT: FWIW I had been a Jets fan since 1975.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2014, 16:30.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
50. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 16:09 Prez

jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 15:44:
Prez wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 14:49:
True enough I guess, but consider that PC Gamer, Computer Gaming Magazine, Computer Gaming World and other print mags were able to put out enjoyable magazines for years (I have stacks of old ones I can't bring myself to throw out) without resorting to "Waaah, Misogyny!" and "You gamers suck!" at all. Things are far worse now that online gaming media is the order of the day; maybe people expect gaming media to be about, ya know, GAMES!

1. CGW did put out an article castigating the racism inherent in the original Shadow Warrior.

2. Longer lead times allowed print magazines to ignore flareups or handle them more indirectly than today's instant communication world.

3. There was less transparency than today, so if a dev was banging a jounalist, you'd have no idea.

4. Mags like CGW had journalistic integrity rules in place like: we only review finished games, not reviewer previews, etc.

1) Yep I remember. And I think CGM published an editorial lambasting a racist mod made for Doom I think it was. 2 or 3 articles does not a crusade make. They said their piece and moved on. More importantly, they didnt purposely offend their readers by calling them too stupid to "get it" if they didn't see the big deal.

2) The smart person would handle flare-ups the same way instead of poorly thought out, rash knee-jerk reactions.

3) There's no transparency today either; there are just more avenues for whistleblowers to bring the truth to the masses. I don't know, maybe sometimes ignorance IS bliss.

4) Hey, I thought we were disagreeing here?

- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2014, 15:39 Prez

Verno wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 09:58:
Also obligatory GO JETS

Can't go with you on that anymore. Any team that hires that subhuman asshole Vick is on my hate list. And if anyone tries saying he paid his debt to society consider yourself e-slapped. His debt was never to society; it is to the animals he tortured and murdered with glee.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Arkham Knight 2 in June
4. Re: Arkham Knight 2 in June Sep 8, 2014, 15:33 Prez

Oh I get it.

Wait, are you mocking me?

- Mahatma Gandhi

12860 Comments. 643 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo