Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 13115 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
128. Re: etc., etc. Oct 25, 2014, 02:11 Prez

I disagree with your definition of misogyny Beamer. Every major dictionary I can find (at least a dozen) defines it simply as either 1) a hatred of women or 2) a feeling of superiority to women. Games are not misogynistic; I don't buy the Wikipedia pop culture definition you provide because it is not what misogyny is.

Objectification of women is not necessarily misogyny; you are abusing the definition. Sexist maybe, but not misogynist. Can the things you describe be symptomatic of misogyny? Yes, but they alone are not proof that misogyny exists. There are no misogynist games that I am aware of; you need to stop redefining the word.

By your all-encompassing definition I can equally make the claim that games are misandrist. Men are objectified by hookers and strippers as nothing but cash dispensers, and the depiction of men as sex-starved Neanderthals is quite denigrating. Are the three leads in GTA 5 anything but denigrating depictions of men? Alas, you can't just redefine a word to suit your argument.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2014, 02:19.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer
7. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer Oct 24, 2014, 23:51 Prez

Amazing!!!!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Hardland Early Access
3. Re: Hardland Early Access Oct 24, 2014, 23:46 Prez

I agree it was a bad choice of comparison, but it does look neat. The graphics have a nice bit of charm to them.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 24, 2014, 20:52 Prez

People might be willing to put up with a locked down ecosystem on a tablet like with the Amazon Kindle Fire (there are 3 in my household and we love them) but a smartphone without access to the massive and massively popular Google apps library? Bad, bad idea.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

106. Re: etc., etc. Oct 24, 2014, 18:15 Prez

The threats and harassment need to stop. The trouble is how do you stop it? If one of these morons making threats is actually caught and charged with making terroristic threats I think that would be a good start. Make an example of the little shit and send a message to the other mouth-breathers doing it. I despise the militant feminist movement in gaming but with each threat and doxxing I am becoming less and less sympathetic to Gamergate. With each threat and incident of harassment the gaming community is being made to look worse and worse, and (even more troubling) it is serving to validate the message of militant feminists like Sarkeesian and the gaming press.

What pisses me off is that considering how much data the government collects on people I would think it ought to be a cinch to find out who is doing the threatening and harassment and hang the fuckers up by their shoe strings. Why is this not happening?

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
9. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 24, 2014, 17:22 Prez

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 16:18:
UHD wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 14:54:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 13:49:
- System Shock (Need license? Spiritual successor okay?)

Bioshock was billed as a spiritual successor; what are you looking for exactly?

Outer space. Technology.

Shodan or GTFO insect!

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released
31. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 24, 2014, 17:17 Prez

I was really impressed by the Total Biscuit video actually. Like Civ 5, I expect this game to really come into its own with expansions, so with that in mind I will wait before buying.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Arma III Free Weekend
15. Re: Arma III Free Weekend Oct 24, 2014, 03:33 Prez

I will always fondly remember Operation Flashpoint as the game that introduced me to real modern warfare, AND as the most tense singleplayer experience I ever had. That mission when you are alone sneaking through the woods behind enemy lines had me literally sweating it was so intense. I rememeber it came out at the same time that Ghost Recon did, and while everyone was quick to call that one the superior game I jsut kept playing OpFlash. I've dabbled with the Arma games off and on since. I love the design - there still isn't anything else like the Arma games out there.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Interviews
41. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 24, 2014, 03:25 Prez

InBlack wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 03:06:
I hate men and misandrists, almost as much as I hate women and misogynists.

Well at least you are consistent and fair.

- Mahatma Gandhi

63. Re: etc., etc. Oct 24, 2014, 02:59 Prez

I like Mad Max and I hate political discussions (though as the guy in Beamer's video pointed out EVERYTHING is about politics) so I didn't respond to the Hillary conspiracy. It seems like the same far right paranoia that my wife subscribes to, so I am used to kind of ignoring it in the name of harmony.

Now if he ever gets as bad as RollinThunder... Stunned

Some other problems I see are really bad reasoning based more on emotion than actual facts, and the hair-trigger need to go ballistic on people who don't agree with the speaker.

Despite what you think I feel about Anita Sarkeesian I was a little annoyed at her videos but otherwise largely indifferent. I agreed with her sentiment - that there are tropes with women in videogames - but only in the same way that there are tropes in RPG's like convenient amnesia and in shooters like the "take all of the players weapons away" level and the like. I just couldn't go with her on any of her examples or the conclusions she drew from them though because they were all so wrong and taken completely out of context. Dishonestly so. That was the extent of my feelings on the matter. It was only when the media began taking her cause as their own to forcefully make games conform to a prohibitively narrow extremist standard that I started pointing out how wrong she is. She became the face of their indidious agenda. I really have nothing personal against her and was content just to agree to disagree until that happened.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2014, 03:16.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 23, 2014, 22:33 Prez

Facebook reveals all. Poor Jets.

If you blow the map up several orders of magnitude you see a tiny green dot for the Jets. That's Verno. Biggrin

- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: etc., etc. Oct 23, 2014, 22:19 Prez

Beamer wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 19:50:
It's looking at gamergate as an example of narrative. The inflammatory part, which he says mostly in passing, is that gamergate is the reaction of a majority to the introduction of the minority voice to culture as a whole, and that it isn't limited to video games.

And while that may part of Gamergate (though who can say for sure? So many assumptions...) it isn't why I oppose the militant feminist movement, perpetuated by a media grossly lacking in integrity and ethics, in gaming. I love when games (and people) come along and challenge the status quo and present exciting new ideas. To say that gamers by and large are happy with the status quo is very disingenuous considering how they are always looking for new expericences and the vast mjority don't care if their favorite game has princesses needing rescuing or strong badass female characters -they just want an awesome gaming experince. Present them with something new, and if it is good they embrace it. If it sucks, they ignore it or trash it. So many people are over-thinking this; gamers are decent people by and large and are okay with new things. Stop trying to say that opposition to militant feminism in gaming is because of a basic 'boy's club' paradigm, because it is BS. That has NOTHING to do with it. Minority voices have always been welcome in gaming since I have been a gamer. It is the condescending activist voice who demands that an entire culture be changed to suit their dubious standards (and alternate viewpoints be damned) that gamers by and large are against.

- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: etc., etc. Oct 23, 2014, 22:01 Prez

But for the first time maybe in my life, on that Saturday afternoon, I walked towards that pair of gamers and I didn’t smile. I didn’t say hello. In fact, I crossed the street so I wouldn’t walk by them. Because after all the years of gamer love and inclusiveness, something had changed in me. A small voice of doubt in my brain now suspected that those guys and I might not be comrades after all. That they might not greet me with reflected friendliness, but contempt.

This section really bothered me. It's like saying that some black guys held up a gas station so now I'm afraid of black people. It seemed so ignorant. But in the context of the whole editorial it becomes apparent that she is not happy at herself for having this reaction, and indeed seems to know it is the wrong attitiude to have. It seems almost like she is thinking out loud, lamenting the change in her attitiude that should not have happened.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Evening Interviews
12. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 21:45 Prez

Honestly the negative attitudes about John Riccitiello largely come from gamers who know basically zero about business or what a CEO even does.

I can't speak for the majority of gamers but the reason I disliked him as CEO is because of how bad the entire company was under him. If it was just the odd bad game from EA there would be little to criticize him for; under his reign EA was notorious for treating paying customers like dirt and consistently ruining great franchises and great studios. That is a direct reflection of who was at the helm at that time imo.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Oct 23, 2014, 14:17 Prez

A 7.9 is a perfectly respectable score. It would not at all deter me from buying a game I was interested in. I'm more inclined to read a review when the score is around 7.5 to 8 anyway.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 13:12 Prez

It says in the article that she figured out the identity of one of the people making threats. She should have contacted the US authorities immediately.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 13:03 Prez

Cutter wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 11:32:
Good thing I lack empathy and don't care about this trumped up bullshit. Hrm, think I'll go have a slice of dolphin served between two puppies for lunch.

LOL!!!

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 23, 2014, 02:05 Prez

Gamers complained that Battlefield 4 crashed, froze, or wouldn't even start.

Whiners.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc.
20. Re: Adobe Oct 22, 2014, 20:34 Prez

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 15:48:
I also very much like that Ars links to a "refute" against the accusation of inethical behavior, and said "refute" is simply an editorial by one guy (an employee of Ars) who is on the GameJournoPro (or what the fuck ever) saying "it's not all of us just deciding what to write on!"

That is what struck me as well. Funny they didn't post "recently rebutted Anna Sarkeesian" videos with a link to Thunderfoot's video editorial. Ars' coverage of this issue has been so slanted that I'm surprised their words stay on the screen.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Dropping GFWL for Steam
26. Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Dropping GFWL for Steam Oct 22, 2014, 08:01 Prez

DaHauns wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 07:22:
Prez wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 16:24:
I bought it for $7.50 on a sale a while back, and I regret it. I barely got past the tutorial. Absolutely brutal, punishing game. I know there are people who will say things like "it really isn't that hard" but don't listen to them. It is ridiculous. I am glad there are people out there who enjoy it but unless you possess nearly inhuman reflexes, skill, and patience this masochistic game will only bring you pain.

Well...I'm going out on a limb here - did you try to beat that first BIIIG Boss, Asylum Demon? Yeah, me too. Until I realized that you don't need to - and aren't even supposed to on your first try.

Oh yeah, I spent a good hour trying to kill him the first go round before I figured out you were supposed to run past him, do some stuff, then jump on his back. That second part took another hour, until I wasn't sure that I wasn't supposed to run past him again! When I finally did kill him, the realization set in that it just took me 2 and a half hours to play through what amounts to the tutorial. UGH!!!!

When I got to that island I made the mistake of attacking the dude there, who just kept killing me and killing me. I'd spawn, and BAM! he'd be on me and I'd be dead. I tried apologizing but he wouldn't have it. I finally restarted, got all the way back there, then got my ass handed to me several dozen times by skeletons. I finally just quit, humbled and discouraged.

- Mahatma Gandhi

13115 Comments. 656 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo