Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 12917 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Oct 30, 2014, 12:32 Prez

And, still, it amuses me that people keep pointing out all the women and minorities in Gamergate as evidence that it isn't just white men and therefore not racist or misogynist, yet the same people use #notmyshield. They're literally trotting out non-white people as shields!

Doesn't the existence of women (and there are more than just a few) actually prove that it isn't just men? And from what I've seen, the overall movement (the non-sensationalist part that the media ignores but makes up the vast majority of the movement) is in no way misogynist or racist.

And for the record I have never even mentioned "Not My Shield", nor do I intend to.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Oct 30, 2014, 12:23 Prez

UHD wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 12:16:
ASeven wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 12:07:
One more real feminist writes in defense of GamerGate.

"Real feminists agree with me."

I don't know if she is actually a feminist, but she makes an interesting point:

...With few exceptions, GamerGate has been portrayed as a group of aggrieved white straight males who don’t want women, gays, and minorities on their turf—even though female, gay, transgender, and minority gamers are among the movement’s most passionate supporters.

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 12:20:

However, it's entertaining to think that many of the people that flipped out over someone trying to censor Colbert for saying something they didn't like are now emailing sponsors trying to censor Gawker and Gamasutra for saying things they didn't like.

I don't believe in trying to censor anyone myself, but I would point out that feminists were doing this long before Gamergate ever existed.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc., etc.
56. Re: etc., etc. Oct 30, 2014, 02:25 Prez

How exactly do you prove someone's not part of GamerGate? There's no GamerGate ID cards or litmus test. I can tweet something like "I demand ethics in video game journalism #gamergate" and suddenly I'm associated.

I didn't ask for proof. I was just making the point that it seems dubious to automatically assume some mouthbreathing basement dweller who decides it's fun to threaten women anonymously is a part of the Gamergate movement. I certainly would not appreciate being lumped in with a group just because I make a statement that may run parallel to their mantra. I find that insulting, just as I do when I get labeled a liberal because I think corporations need to be more regulated, or a conservative because I think people should be allowed to keep more of what they earn.

- Mahatma Gandhi

53. Re: etc., etc. Oct 29, 2014, 20:50 Prez

I suppose someone reading this and other threads that I've posted in would label me as a GG member or supporter given my stance, but I'm really not. I am an individual with his own opinion who above all is interested in fairness. I have spoken out when women have been victimized by slander, threats, and exposure of personal info and I am speaking out now because I see the GG side now being grossly misrepresented and unfairly treated. I've said before I never liked movements of any kind because it is so easy for them to become co-opted by anyone with a personal agenda and an axe to grind, but that doesn't mean I think they shouldn't be treated fairly. At least Blue is posting articles from both sides of the isle although the overall it seems like it would be hard to do so given how the press has largely written off the movement as misogynist in nature.

What I want to know is how everyone is so sure the people making the threats have anything to do with GG or even are aware of its existence. Reading some of the more offensive and over-the-top claims by militant feminists in the media is more than enough to get someone's ire up, affiliations be damned. The way Is see it if some random unhinged loon sees an Ana Sarkeesian video and takes to Twitter to threaten her that doesn't automatically put him in the GG camp.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Crusader: No Remorse Free on Origin
33. Re: Crusader: No Remorse Free on Origin Oct 29, 2014, 20:15 Prez

Awesome game. I must have played it 2 dozen times.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: etc., etc. Oct 29, 2014, 02:05 Prez

Squirmer wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 02:01:
You can't claim victories on behalf of "Gamergate" (like getting companies to pull advertizing) but then disavow any responsibility for abuse done in the name of the movement. Gamergate has chosen a distributed model (or rather, has deliberately chosen to not form any organization or established leadership structures which would make them accountable for anything), so they have to own up to the practices that emerge from the model they've chosen, otherwise it means nothing.

If the abuse is coming from a bunch of dickheads on the internet, then the victories are also coming from a bunch of dickheads on the internet. So I guess that's all Gamergate is.

This whole line of thinking is so wrong-headed I honestly don't even know where to start. So before Gamergate became a thing Twitter was never used for harassment? Do you guys even think about this stuff before you type it?

- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: etc., etc. Oct 29, 2014, 02:01 Prez

The violent macho power fantasy will no longer define what gaming is all about.

This woman has serious issues. The "violent macho power fantasy"? When has that ever defined what gaming is about? What a warped view of things she has. Even more worrisome is how many people share in this warped view. What is wrong with you people?

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com?
9. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com? Oct 27, 2014, 20:26 Prez

TangledThorns wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 20:13:
Some games are just too damn old to play. Sorry, it's really hard to go back to dated graphics.

Same here. I'm not a graphics whore but those games are so old as to be jarring in their ugliness. Remakes are in order.

- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: etc., etc. Oct 27, 2014, 20:24 Prez

In order for them to ruin the game it would have had to have been good in the first place. Only 2 of the games on that list weren't crap. And a small cameo by a lousy voice actor doesn't ruin a 100+ hour RPG.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
12. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 27, 2014, 14:03 Prez

I'm more apt to back an early access project since it provides something you can see in action (and actually play if you pay). That goes a long way in assuring gamers that it isn't a scam. It doesn't guarantee that it won't be a scam obviously, but it is a better bet than a vision and a video which is all KS usually provides in the beginning.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Oct 27, 2014, 13:52 Prez

It. Is. About. Ethics. Newsweek spun the data to suit their narrative.

Posting this AGAIN.

Kelly Rued · Founder and Creative Director at Black Love Interactive LLC
Having worked with social media and web analytics for several years, I'm a little underwhelmed with your data analysis. Hopefully the report you got from Brandwatch was much more detailed than the summary in this article.

Why is there no timeline to contextualize the relationship of gamergate tweets to media coverage of these people/brands? For example, I would expect discussions of Brianna Wu to spike following her press junket where she alleged her harassers were representative members of gamergate. Since those allegations portrayed the entire movement as hateful harassers, they led to intense discussion of Wu among the thousands of innocent gamers she implicated as a hate group. If analyzing social media mentions for a business client, I'm sure Brandwatch would correlate the data to media campaigns and press mentions in other channels to give some idea of what events triggered these conversations. Without context, it's much harder to understand or speculate why some people were discussed more than others.

People like Grayson and Totilo did not do mainstream press interviews accusing gamergate of being a terrorist/hate group attacking women in games. Maybe that's why they did not generate nearly as much discussion as some of the developers you had Brandwatch look for (we can't really speculate though because you have not presented enough data to make a reasonable claim either way).

Had you really been interested in measuring gamergate's mentions of games press, you might have filtered for Arthur Chu, Ben Kuchera, Sam Biddle, Polygon, Gawker, etc. than a relative unknown like Grayson.

Also you could have filtered for relevant male game developers, like Phil Fish, or filtered for mentions of more famous and influential women developers (Robin Hunicke, Kim Swift, Brenda Romero, Sheri Graner Ray, etc.) who have not publicly accused gamergate of misogyny, harassment, and death threats (which is not to suggest these other women in games don't also feel that gamergate is a hate group, but just that they have not engaged gamergate on Twitter the way Zoe Quinn, Brianna Wu, Anita Sarkeesian, and Leigh Alexander have). Instead you only filtered for women in the games industry who have been very vocal in their condemnations of gamergate. If gamergate was specifically mentioning women developers mainly because they are women, then we would surely see more famous and influential women developers receiving as much or more gamergate mentions than a relative unknown like Zoe Quinn.

According to Kathy Sierra's Koolaid Point theory, the more famous and influential a woman is, the more she will attract misogynistic harassment and hate so surely we could draw some conclusions about gamergate from analyzing how they often gamergate mentions a few industry-leading, award-winning women developers, some with decades in the business and dozens of published titles. It would at least help us speculate how much of gamergate mentioning women developers is based on a woman simply existing in the game industry, and how much might be related to women condemning and antagonizing gamergaters.

I also wonder if your data is accurate because the brevity of tweets encourages shortened names and gamergaters often use nicknames including cryptic acronyms like ZQ and LW (there are so many snarky terms referring to Zoe Quinn that her mentions may have been much higher than reported here). But from the data presented, who knows.

So yeah, you've got a couple of bar graphs, some aggregate mentions, uncontextualized sentiment analysis, and they're tied neatly together with foregone conclusions. Maybe consider contacting a social scientist instead of relying on a brand monitoring company to correctly analyze a consumer revolt.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc.
45. Re: etc. Oct 27, 2014, 13:29 Prez

Leigh Alexander directly provoked and attacked the movement - of course they are going to talk about her. And she has done some pretty unethical stuff, so I disagree with you about her there too. She is a despicable shit really. Her deleted tweets say a whole lot about her lack of character and integrity.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc.
41. Re: etc. Oct 27, 2014, 10:34 Prez

People keep pointing out that pro-GG isn't talking about ethics but honestly, how can they when they are constantly required to debunk the deliberate misrepresentation of their cause over and over again. Admittedly any large movement starts to resemble a multi-headed beast once it becomes large enough, but from what I've seen GG people have done a respectable job of staying on message when they aren't being attacked by activists with a vested interest in branding them as all sorts of horrible things.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2014, 07:02 Prez

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 01:36:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 15:07:
Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 14:13:
Here's a thought on unwashed jeans: Imagine oral sex with someone who hasn't washed their jeans in a year.

/Thread.

Don't be a scumbag, wash your pants.

That only applies if you're going commando. Most people wear undies.

I used to only wash my jeans every 2 or 3 wears unless I've gone hiking or it was summer or something. They just don't get dirty in a single wear otherwise.

Because underwear is impermeable to bacteria and sweat, right?

I change my underwear after four days. You get four wears out each pair - after the first day turn them around. The next day, wear them inside out. On the fourth day, it's inside out AND backwards. Prez is my name, Hygiene is my game!!!!

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc.
37. Re: etc. Oct 27, 2014, 06:50 Prez

I totally agree with TotalBiscuit's plea to just argue using facts and try to get the emotion out of it, but I think it's gone too far at this point. People have gotten seriously emotionally invested and people have gotten seriously emotionally hurt. It's not that easy to just back off and try to be objective now.

Many of us are doing just that on both sides. Moderate opinions, viewpoints, and actions never get the press though. I've had plenty of calm debates with people (men and women from both sides of the issue) as I suspect many people have. The press needs the "MOST EXTREME!!!" examples to get clicks. They need to illustrate "FANATICAL EXTREMISM!!!" to get the most interest. Their stories must be laden with "OMG OVER-THE-TOP SENSATIONALISM!!!!!"HELLYEAH"!!. And if they can't find enough of that going on, they'll spin the data to suit as in the Newsweek article. The rest of us, yeah we get frustrated at what passes as "news" and "journalism" on this and other issues, but what can you do?

Oh, and feel free to use the Unreal Tournament announcer voice in your head when reading parts in bold italics. It makes it more "WICKED SICK AWESOME!!!!!!!!

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc.
32. Re: etc. Oct 26, 2014, 22:48 Prez

Prez wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 22:27:
Beamer wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 21:05:
As I linked to yesterday, the word count on that forum had over 2000 hits for "feminist" and not even 600 for "ethics."

Not about ethics.

Wall

I give up.

No I don't. Here is a rebuttal of the Newsweek conclusions drawn about the social media data taken from Twitter discussions concerning GG. It is long, but excellent.

Kelly Rued · Founder and Creative Director at Black Love Interactive LLC
Having worked with social media and web analytics for several years, I'm a little underwhelmed with your data analysis. Hopefully the report you got from Brandwatch was much more detailed than the summary in this article.

Why is there no timeline to contextualize the relationship of gamergate tweets to media coverage of these people/brands? For example, I would expect discussions of Brianna Wu to spike following her press junket where she alleged her harassers were representative members of gamergate. Since those allegations portrayed the entire movement as hateful harassers, they led to intense discussion of Wu among the thousands of innocent gamers she implicated as a hate group. If analyzing social media mentions for a business client, I'm sure Brandwatch would correlate the data to media campaigns and press mentions in other channels to give some idea of what events triggered these conversations. Without context, it's much harder to understand or speculate why some people were discussed more than others.

People like Grayson and Totilo did not do mainstream press interviews accusing gamergate of being a terrorist/hate group attacking women in games. Maybe that's why they did not generate nearly as much discussion as some of the developers you had Brandwatch look for (we can't really speculate though because you have not presented enough data to make a reasonable claim either way).

Had you really been interested in measuring gamergate's mentions of games press, you might have filtered for Arthur Chu, Ben Kuchera, Sam Biddle, Polygon, Gawker, etc. than a relative unknown like Grayson.

Also you could have filtered for relevant male game developers, like Phil Fish, or filtered for mentions of more famous and influential women developers (Robin Hunicke, Kim Swift, Brenda Romero, Sheri Graner Ray, etc.) who have not publicly accused gamergate of misogyny, harassment, and death threats (which is not to suggest these other women in games don't also feel that gamergate is a hate group, but just that they have not engaged gamergate on Twitter the way Zoe Quinn, Brianna Wu, Anita Sarkeesian, and Leigh Alexander have). Instead you only filtered for women in the games industry who have been very vocal in their condemnations of gamergate. If gamergate was specifically mentioning women developers mainly because they are women, then we would surely see more famous and influential women developers receiving as much or more gamergate mentions than a relative unknown like Zoe Quinn.

According to Kathy Sierra's Koolaid Point theory, the more famous and influential a woman is, the more she will attract misogynistic harassment and hate so surely we could draw some conclusions about gamergate from analyzing how they often gamergate mentions a few industry-leading, award-winning women developers, some with decades in the business and dozens of published titles. It would at least help us speculate how much of gamergate mentioning women developers is based on a woman simply existing in the game industry, and how much might be related to women condemning and antagonizing gamergaters.

I also wonder if your data is accurate because the brevity of tweets encourages shortened names and gamergaters often use nicknames including cryptic acronyms like ZQ and LW (there are so many snarky terms referring to Zoe Quinn that her mentions may have been much higher than reported here). But from the data presented, who knows.

So yeah, you've got a couple of bar graphs, some aggregate mentions, uncontextualized sentiment analysis, and they're tied neatly together with foregone conclusions. Maybe consider contacting a social scientist instead of relying on a brand monitoring company to correctly analyze a consumer revolt.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2014, 23:10.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc.
31. Re: etc. Oct 26, 2014, 22:27 Prez

Beamer wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 21:05:
As I linked to yesterday, the word count on that forum had over 2000 hits for "feminist" and not even 600 for "ethics."

Not about ethics.

Wall

I give up.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
42. Re: Breitbart Oct 26, 2014, 00:28 Prez

Well said Flatline. Completely agree.

Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2014, 15:34:

But how much of the discussion is about ethics? 10%? 20%?

How in the world could I know that? Or could you based on hanging out on freaking Twitter and Reddit???

How much of the attacking is aimed at the media?

Quite a lot from what I've seen. But again, I don't hang out on internet cesspools. The question is why do you?

How much of anything even discusses the media, other than complaining about "SJWs" and editorials?

I know I've explained this many times, but here it is again. The complete lack of journalistic ethics as it relates to feminist extremism in gaming, some of which editors have at least in part owned up to concerning Zoe Quinn, is what started Gamergate to begin with. The SJW's are largely IN THE MEDIA. They are not reporting on the games industry as is their responsibility; they are activists pushing their agenda, ignoring all dissenting opinions. That is a LACK OF ETHICS. Feminism is the narrative pushed by the corrupt media that many are against; there is no way to discuss the lack of the gaming media's integrity without discussing their extremist feminist agenda. I know you don't agree but I wish you would stop deliberately misrepresenting this.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2014, 00:36.

- Mahatma Gandhi

148. Re: etc., etc. Oct 25, 2014, 18:50 Prez

Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2014, 15:32:

Google "define misogyny":
mi·sog·y·ny
noun
noun: misogyny
dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women.

Note "ingrained prejudice."

"Hatred" is an extreme simplification. Even wifebeaters love women. But they still beat them. They're still misogynists. But they'll deny it all day long because they love women.

No, that's not true. Wife beaters are bullies who pick on weaker people. They would just as likely beat their child or someone else weaker than them; sex has nothing to do with it. Again, you are using the word too liberally.

So who is it about journalism to?

I already explained that in the other thread. *SNIP*

Prez wrote on Oct 25, 2014, 15:04:
Gamergate started as a response to the marked lack of journalistic ethics when reporting on the advancing agenda of notable feminists while ignoring all counterpoint. These concepts - ethics and feminism- are not mutually exclusive as they are irrevocably tied together in this case. In short it is about both. To say otherwise is being disingenuous.

- Mahatma Gandhi

141. Re: etc., etc. Oct 25, 2014, 15:16 Prez

Just because Breitbart is slanted doesn't mean the information is bad. Generally you'll only see one side presented. For a counterpoint, you could always go to MSNBC...  

- Mahatma Gandhi

12917 Comments. 646 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo