Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 13123 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 4, 2014, 12:57 Prez

@Rigs - I don't have a problem with you having issues with the game's portrayal of violence or having an opinion about it; what I want to know is do you think the game can inspire mass murders or other violent behavior? Based on what?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2014, 12:51 Prez

Carlin is so right! I miss his brilliant cynicism.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 4, 2014, 11:47 Prez

No, lack of competition.

Which, one could argue, is driven by greed. With a healthy dose of corruption.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 4, 2014, 11:06 Prez

Of course a game cannot inspire mass murders. Everyone has been on a few just-for-the-fun-of-it murder sprees in a Grand Theft Auto game. It's just a game.

As a video game, it is totally free from influencing anyone, in any way.

The author is being sarcastic, but I would point out that "influencing someone in any way" and "inspiring mass murders" are not the same.

- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2014, 11:01 Prez

BobBob wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 10:57:
Voting here in California is pointless, especially if you are moderate or lean right.

Think how moderates and liberals feel in Texas!!

In truth I feel all voting is pointless. All of the bad shit that happened under Obama would have happened under Romney or McCain.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Red Faction Guerilla Open Beta Drops GFWL & DX10
9. Re: Red Faction Guerilla Open Beta Drops GFWL & DX10 Nov 4, 2014, 10:58 Prez

Ludomancer wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 10:54:
I absolutely love this game. It killed me when Volition announced they weren't going to bother continuing with the franchise.

Why are they spending time and effort on this now? Especially if they dropped the franchise? It's awesome but confusing.

One could hope they are planning on resurrecting the franchise but I doubt it. I think it's because it's a cool thing to do.

- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2014, 10:49 Prez

I am so glad that election day is here. That means it will almost be over and everyone can go back to ignoring politics.

As far as the Dems go, yeah they are going to take their lumps but the Republicans will never win the White House until they starting putting forth more moderate candidates who believe in compromise.

Beware the Blue Wall!

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Red Faction Guerilla Open Beta Drops GFWL & DX10
6. Re: Red Faction Guerilla Open Beta Drops GFWL & DX10 Nov 4, 2014, 10:28 Prez

I loved the singleplayer in Red Faction Guerrilla. I was so disappointed that the follow-up Red Faction was nothing like 'Guerrilla' that I never tried it. I would love to see another one done in the same manner of Red Faction Guerrilla but I doubt it will ever happen unless someone does a kickstarter to buy the rights and engine and maybe does an Early Access or something.

Isn't this like a really, really old game?

I had to chuckle a bit when I read that someone thinks a game from 2009 is "really, really old", but I guess games DO age in dog years.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition
72. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 4, 2014, 10:19 Prez

Prez, why are people who disagree with you trolling psychos who love to argue yet - presumably - you are not?

Because of the obvious fact that I don't claim that everyone who disagrees with me is a trolling psycho? I have been discussing this with Beamer and others since the beginning. The "love to argue" comment was a joke. But when people start getting emotionally invested to the point that they obsessively use me as an example in a massive wall of text multiple times (deliberately misrepresenting my point), that indicates an unhealthy level of metal instability in my mind. Any other thinly veiled attacks you want to make?

- Mahatma Gandhi

71. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 4, 2014, 10:10 Prez

In the interest of avoiding pissing off people who are sick of this issue and don't want to see it discussed in an unrelated thread, my answer is deliberately concise and in secret text. I will NOT be discussing it any further in this thread.

What unethical has polygon done?

The thread details instances in which Patricia Hernandez of Kotaku and Ben Kuchera of Polygon have published articles in which they had a conflict of interest. In the previously mentioned piece by Totillo, he affirmed Kotaku’s dedication to a standard of ethics, claiming that,

My standard has long been this: reporters who are in any way close to people they might report on should recuse themselves

Grabbing that single line of the article, reddit user F1renze accused Patricia Hernandez of publishing articles featuring her friend’s games.

Ben Kuchera’s fault, according to the same reddit user, is that he published an article on Zoe Quinn without acknowledging that he support her Patreon campaign, giving her money to develop games on a monthly basis. F1renze suggested that this was in direct opposition to the Polygon Code of Ethics which says:

Unless specifically on a writer’s profile page, Polygon staffers do not cover companies (1) in which they have a financial investment, (2) that have employed them previously or (3) employ the writer’s spouse, partner or someone else with whom the writer has a close relationship.

Both accusations have resulted in the target publications making statements. However, before we delve into the “is it ethical or not” question, let’s take a moment to look at the point of video game publications, basic journalism ethics, and the outcome these decisions might have within the gaming community.
Source

This is the biggest example. Their lack of balanced coverage by not providing counterpoint at all to the accusations of sexism and misogyny claims by Quinn and Sarkeesian because of their agenda is another.

Evidence has mounted that gaming journalists from key publications like Kotaku, Ars Technica and Polygon have been colluding with one another to control industry-wide news coverage, adding further credence to the widespread belief that biased agenda-pushing is running rampant in the field.

Source

The last is a simple accusation and only based on circumstantial evidence, but in light of their lack of ethics in being pro-Quinn and Pro-Sarkeesian and the rather suspicious nature of all the editorials from all of the leading media outlets including theirs I don't have a hard time believing that they were involved in collusion. Not evidence, but you asked about accusations, and this in my mind heavily implicates them.

All of that said, I have been reading gaming news for a long time and just about every gaming publication has behaved in contravention of their stated policies one time or another, so I am inherently doubtful everything that they say they adhere to. I am not a trusting person though - I would doubt myself were I not with me 24 hours a day.

EDIT: LOL - I can't figure out how to put the URL's in secret text!

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Nov 4, 2014, 09:25 Prez

If performance royalties were paid, then it would make composers and artists’ lives a lot easier as many developers do not realise that composers have to pay to constantly build and upgrade their studios, create samples, pay engineers, use musicians and so on.”

If they want better royalties, they are going to need to get a little more heavy handed than just asking nicely I think.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Nov 4, 2014, 09:18 Prez

Verno wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 08:33:
Prez wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 03:42:
What is "G2A"? I want WatchDogs for 8 bucks!!!

One of those dubious keysites that often resells out of region keys. Success rate on those varies and you really need to pay attention to activation instructions. Not sure if uPlay is easier in this regard than Steam though.

Oh. I guess I'll just skip it then and wait. Thanks.

- Mahatma Gandhi

68. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 4, 2014, 09:13 Prez

nin wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 07:43:
Prez wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 03:37:
Ignoring trolling psychos and getting back to Call of Duty

You guys apparently took the bait...notice how things were peaceful until he showed up?

I must be off my game lately - I keep getting baited like that. It's a rough time actually so I hope I can be forgiven.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Nov 4, 2014, 03:42 Prez

What is "G2A"? I want WatchDogs for 8 bucks!!!  

- Mahatma Gandhi

62. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 4, 2014, 03:37 Prez

Ignoring trolling psychos and getting back to Call of Duty, I watched a video about the single player and it looks pretty cool. Not '60 bucks for 5 hours' cool, but I can wait until it is cheaper.

On a side note, I find it amusing that I keep seeing "Coop for 1-4 players" as a bullet point feature. Shouldn't it be for 2-4 players? "I'm not playing Single player, I'm playing one-player coop!"

- Mahatma Gandhi

61. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 4, 2014, 03:29 Prez

Bah, the condescending prick will just bash you for giving credit to GG regardless.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

59. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 4, 2014, 03:10 Prez

You can belittle all you like, Beremot, but given the gaming press' distinct lack of integrity - and Polygon in particular - I am going to default to thinking everything they claim is bullshit until proven otherwise. Of course, if you weren't so emotionally invested you wouldn't come off sounding like an unhinged loon but that's for you to deal with. I hear Prozac works. I don't need a wall of condescending text to say it either.

Edit: Obviously you missed it, but even your noble hero incarnate Beamer admitted calling it out is new for them. That wasn't happening before GG and I doubt they were following their stated policy (that I admitted from the beginning existed so quit crying) before then, and I don't really give a shit if you agree or not. You might want to quit sucking his ass long enough to get your stuff straight.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2014, 03:20.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Reveal
79. Re: Star Citizen FPS Reveal Nov 3, 2014, 16:24 Prez

q [CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 22:24:
Disagree strongly. Just a couple examples: Look at Obsidian with Pillars of Eternity or InXile with Wasteland 2 or Torment Tides of Numenera.

Did those devs go to every frickin' trade show to show off their games? Did they constantly have "exciting reveals" and module releases and demos and commercials? Fuck no.

theyarecomingfor you wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 22:24:

Those were games made with a fraction of the budget and a fraction of the fan involvement. I backed Wasteland 2 and it's enjoyable enough but it's absurd to equate it in anyway to Star Citizen, which is a game of an entirely different scale and fidelity.

What he said.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 3, 2014, 16:19 Prez

Frags4Fun wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 14:38:
Prez wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 14:23:
Of course completely computer-driven cars means hackers being able to directly cause someone's death. A whole new method of assassination might spring up!

Hacking and taking over control of modern cars is already possible.

Damn. There goes my plan for a new line of work!

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 3, 2014, 14:23 Prez

Of course completely computer-driven cars means hackers being able to directly cause someone's death. A whole new method of assassination might spring up!  

- Mahatma Gandhi

13123 Comments. 657 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo