Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 12673 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Sep 8, 2014, 21:52 Prez

In a way I am really glad this whole goofy 'Gamergate' thing came about. It's funny as hell seeing the SJW's get mad and type some really face-palm stupid stuff out of frustration - endless entertainment!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
7. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 8, 2014, 21:44 Prez

Romero is such an eminently unlikeable guy it's easy to forget he developed some of the best FPS levels in gaming history.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Sep 8, 2014, 21:41 Prez

Very cool sale/promotion. I really want Kerbal Space Program but I am waiting for the full release.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 8, 2014, 20:41 Prez

Well, I would prefer an Android phone, but with a free year of Prime it feels like Amazon is paying me 100 bucks to take their phone. So, I might get one, but being a smartphone newb, I need to know - can Google Play apps be sideloaded onto the device?  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Sep 8, 2014, 20:32 Prez

Maxis on the future of Sims: "If Sims 4 isn't successful, there won't be a Sims 5"

Makes me feel like I am accomplishing something positive by ignoring Sims 4 and its inevitable cavalcade of downloadable content!

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 20:16 Prez

The Escapist article is a good one, and though I take issue with a few points, I actually applaud them for it. It doesn't, however, make up for the fact that they themselves were instrumental in creating this whole shitstorm with their heretofore glaring lack of any journalism standards.
Our editor-in-chief, Greg Tito, having reviewed the facts at hand, concluded we ourselves have been imperfect in maintaining journalistic standards. A particularly problematic article, the one which generated his review, was about the alleged harassment of an indie developer by a forum community which denied the allegations but was itself victimized as a result of them. The article failed to cite the harassment as alleged, failed to give the forum community an opportunity present its point of view, and did not verify the claims or secure other sources. Mr. Tito has personally updated the article and spoken to all our editors about the importance of adhering to standards that will prevent such bad incidents from happening again. We, as a team, apologize for this error, both to our readers and to the forum community that suffered as a result. I, personally, apologize for this error, as well.

What they don't acknowledge is the obvious - that the lack of disclosure of these points was calculated and deliberate because they had an agenda. A simple oversight is forgivable; intentionally neglecting to point out very important facts that could serve to weaken your agenda is just slimy.

They want to be journalists? They want the gaming community to consider them journalists? It's going to take more than a fancy editorial and a listing of standards that should have gone without saying in the first place - it's going to take a basic understanding of what journalism means and an ongoing dedication to maintaining the standards involved therein. On a basic level, they need to understand that journalism and activism are two separate things. They can't be both - a journalist presents information as it exists in its entirety before giving their opinion (which is always ancillary to the facts if it is given at all) while an activist advances an agenda through a distinct bias towards what it is they are championing. I personally detest this retarded quest Ana Sarkeesian has undertaken for whatever deranged reason she has, but at least it has been obvious all along that she was a crusading activist. Up until now on the the gaming press, especially The Escapist, has been proclaiming themselves to be journalists while engaging in every bit as much activism as Quinn and Sarkeesian - and fooling many along the way - making them sleazy as well as wrong.

One nice editorial is not worth much to me.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2014, 17:50 Prez

Cutter wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 17:38:
Yeah, well his gold digging wife obviously doesn't seem to mind a shot to the chops. Now that's he unemployed I'm sure she'll be leaving in short order. And let's not forget, that broad was shoving and hitting him. No, it doesn't mean it's right for him to knock her out, just that no one should be hitting anyone to begin with. She's screaming at him and hitting him outside the elevator, then carries on in a confined space...not very good idea at the best of times, nevermind that your fiance is likely a 'roid monkey to boot. Sooner or later something's going to give.

Everyone always forgets the simple fact that women don't always act like the delicate little flowers the crusaders make them out to be. Dude went way too far by punching a woman he could have subdued easily, but damn, that women was being a total moron - it's really hard for me to feel that sorry for her.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
63. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 17:11 Prez

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 17:09:

And like any good gamer I also had a huge stack of gaming mags .. but I had to throw them away ;/////

My wife wishes to hell I would too. Half a closet's worth of space wasted...

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
59. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 17:05 Prez

Quboid wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 16:34:
Prez wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 15:10:
Quboid wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 15:04:
None of those are RPS. It was phrased badly but "gamers are over" wasn't attacking gaming culture, it was attacking bullying and bigotry in gaming. Nothing has proven their point more than the response, including the failure of people like you to see the difference between gaming and these behaviours.

I'm sorry but that's a bunch of crap. People ticked off by the gaming media's painting of gamers with such a broad brush is not proving the gaming media's point. Not a single one of us disgusted with how low gaming media has sunk in attacking its own market has any problem whatsoever recognizing the difference between bad behavior and gaming. That is such garbage I can't believe you would ever claim it.

Not people who are ticked off, people who are building blacklists based on conspiracy theories and playing six degrees of separation. People who are harassing the families of so-called journalists. People who have in turn prompted this response from RPS. There are people doing this and they are calling themselves gamers and believe they are doing these things in gaming's name. These people are absolutely treating bullying as a part of gaming culture.

Maybe so (and that's a bit different from your original point) but the vast majority of gamers over 13, and virtually everyone here, recognize this segment of "gamers" as assholes.

- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2014, 16:14 Prez

Verno wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 15:59:
Dude if I hated every team that has employed someone morally reprehensible in the NFL then there wouldn't be any teams to root for. I respect your opinion, as a lifetime dog owner I get it but I've followed the Jets for like 30 years and this one thing isn't going to ruin that. For a long time I wasn't even following the NFL itself, just keeping up with what was going on with the Jets.

Now if they would just start rewarding loyalty with performance

No it's cool; just needed to get that off my chest.

EDIT: FWIW I had been a Jets fan since 1975.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2014, 16:30.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
50. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 16:09 Prez

jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 15:44:
Prez wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 14:49:
True enough I guess, but consider that PC Gamer, Computer Gaming Magazine, Computer Gaming World and other print mags were able to put out enjoyable magazines for years (I have stacks of old ones I can't bring myself to throw out) without resorting to "Waaah, Misogyny!" and "You gamers suck!" at all. Things are far worse now that online gaming media is the order of the day; maybe people expect gaming media to be about, ya know, GAMES!

1. CGW did put out an article castigating the racism inherent in the original Shadow Warrior.

2. Longer lead times allowed print magazines to ignore flareups or handle them more indirectly than today's instant communication world.

3. There was less transparency than today, so if a dev was banging a jounalist, you'd have no idea.

4. Mags like CGW had journalistic integrity rules in place like: we only review finished games, not reviewer previews, etc.

1) Yep I remember. And I think CGM published an editorial lambasting a racist mod made for Doom I think it was. 2 or 3 articles does not a crusade make. They said their piece and moved on. More importantly, they didnt purposely offend their readers by calling them too stupid to "get it" if they didn't see the big deal.

2) The smart person would handle flare-ups the same way instead of poorly thought out, rash knee-jerk reactions.

3) There's no transparency today either; there are just more avenues for whistleblowers to bring the truth to the masses. I don't know, maybe sometimes ignorance IS bliss.

4) Hey, I thought we were disagreeing here?

- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2014, 15:39 Prez

Verno wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 09:58:
Also obligatory GO JETS

Can't go with you on that anymore. Any team that hires that subhuman asshole Vick is on my hate list. And if anyone tries saying he paid his debt to society consider yourself e-slapped. His debt was never to society; it is to the animals he tortured and murdered with glee.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Arkham Knight 2 in June
4. Re: Arkham Knight 2 in June Sep 8, 2014, 15:33 Prez

Oh I get it.

Wait, are you mocking me?

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Arkham Knight 2 in June
2. Re: Arkham Knight 2 in June Sep 8, 2014, 15:27 Prez

Arkham Knight 2? Was there an Arkham Knight 1 that I missed?  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 15:10 Prez

Quboid wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 15:04:
None of those are RPS. It was phrased badly but "gamers are over" wasn't attacking gaming culture, it was attacking bullying and bigotry in gaming. Nothing has proven their point more than the response, including the failure of people like you to see the difference between gaming and these behaviours.

I'm sorry but that's a bunch of crap. People ticked off by the gaming media's painting of gamers with such a broad brush is not proving the gaming media's point. Not a single one of us disgusted with how low gaming media has sunk in attacking its own market has any problem whatsoever recognizing the difference between bad behavior and gaming. That is such garbage I can't believe you would ever claim it.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 14:49 Prez

Beamer wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 14:09:
garrywong wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 14:04:
Wouldn't it be nice if, from the ashes of this shit, out comes something that is actually, real games journalism? Some people stand up and say "we are going to show them what real journalism is about"? Is there even any room for journalism within the games industry? Does journalism exist within any other entertainment media?

It will never, ever happen. Because there are only two things to write about in games:
1) PR. 99% of news comes directly from the studios themselves. There isn't much reporting to do here
2) Editorials, including reviews. Still, not much room to do anything here, either

I don't get why people are convinced that covering games, a consumer product, is somehow comparable to covering developments in the Middle East. Gaming news is screenshots, release dates, previews, reviews, and editorials. There isn't really much else to be said about something that someone wants you to buy. No one with a journalism degree wants to do this because it doesn't use the same skills. Journalists have to go out there and find information. Game sites are parsing through information coming from studios. And that's the only place the information can come from. It isn't like a reporter can go out there and find information about Half Life 3 on his own - that has to come from Valve.

True enough I guess, but consider that PC Gamer, Computer Gaming Magazine, Computer Gaming World and other print mags were able to put out enjoyable magazines for years (I have stacks of old ones I can't bring myself to throw out) without resorting to "Waaah, Misogyny!" and "You gamers suck!" at all. Things are far worse now that online gaming media is the order of the day; maybe people expect gaming media to be about, ya know, GAMES!

- Mahatma Gandhi

General Discussion > Amazon Orders
13. Re: Amazon Orders Sep 8, 2014, 10:32 Prez

Well I bought about $50 of mp3's through the link provided. Hopefully it shows up.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 10:16 Prez

Verno wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 09:56:
Videogames are absolutely for everybody but RPS isn't for me anymore. Sorry John but too much non-gaming silliness.

Exactly what I was going to say. Nothing but self-promoting drama queens at RPS.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Sep 8, 2014, 01:56 Prez

harlock wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 20:57:
i wonder if they realize the possibility of an assertively rebellious anti-anti-exploitation backlash, just to spite all the do-gooders and give the rabid anti-anti crowd something to rally around, like a badge of honor..

im expecting it will put duke nukem and postal to shame..

we shall see

Personally I'd love to see another Duke Nukem game with his usual over-the-top,crass womanizing ratcheted up a few more notches. We could sit back and watch the media's collective head explode, Scanners style!

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2014, 01:53 Prez

I played State of Decay for at least a hundred hours - it scratched a certain itch for me I guess. It was really a great game imo.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

12673 Comments. 634 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo