Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 12611 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Free DLC
12. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Free DLC Sep 16, 2014, 15:52 Prez

Very cool. A very successful kickstarter story.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
114. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 16, 2014, 15:50 Prez

Beamer wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 17:44:
Prez wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 17:29:
For the record Cutter said this is one of the most idiotic business moves he has ever seen by a company (paraphrasing), and I am inclined to agree. This is beyond ridiculous - it's just obscenely and surreally absurd. He also made mention of "Ballmer Junior" making the same retarded decisions as his "daddy".

Facebook paid about $32 per active user of Whatsapp, a product with 0 revenue.
Microsoft paid about $50 per active user of Minecraft, a product with significant revenue.

There are a few big differences:
1) One is a messaging platform, and those tend to be longer lived than games
2) The other has a more affluent userbase, meaning it's more willing to invest money

Microsoft claims this deal will pay for itself by the end of 2015. I don't doubt that much. Minecraft made $350 million last year, and from what I understand the bulk of that was made later in the year and came from server rentals. On top of this, Minecraft revenue has grown each year.
And Mojang has made no attempt to monetize.

I know that "monetization" is a dirty word, but frankly, there's so much room here. I installed Minecraft again on Saturday and looked for mods. If you google "minecraft mods" you get dozens of hits, but most of the pages look like they'll install viruses. The programs you have to download have installers that look like viruses, and they download from sites that try to install their own downloader that is almost definitely a virus.

Basically, I'm assuming any casual Minecraft fan has tons of viruses.

But look at Valve. Seriously, look hard at Valve. They are making money hand over fist selling mods for 3 games. They also have free mods for those games. The community is making enormous money selling these mods. I rarely hear loud complaints about these sales, usually people just seem to enjoy it. It's fostered a big community. Hell, I actually know a guy here that worked at a major studio on a major series discussed here regularly that quit his job and moved across the country because he realized he could more than double his income selling DOTA2 stuff.

This would be great for Minecraft. A consolidated storefront with no worry about viruses, making it easier to find and load mods, and still with the majority of things being free, but not everything.
If Minecraft brought in $350 last year, it isn't hard to imagine a mod marketplace similar to the Hat Marketplace could triple that, is it?

We'll see if it's stupid. Frankly, I don't think we'll truly know that it was. Either this is a huge success, or Microsoft fucks it up. But the price wouldn't be stupid if they fuck it up, it's their management.

I get all that, I really do. I guess it's just the number itself - 2.5 BILLION dollars - that just seems surreally absurd to me for a digital boxy sandbox toy. If the brand has legs it may prove to be a sound investment but if it is a fad soon to be on the wane (as I suspect), MS may be screwed.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Borderlands Replaces GameSpy With Steamworks
6. Re: Borderlands Replaces GameSpy With Steamworks Sep 16, 2014, 15:45 Prez

Cool. I love Steam and love Borderlands, so it works for me!  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Uncensored L4D2 Released for AU
6. Re: Uncensored L4D2 Released for AU Sep 15, 2014, 18:00 Prez

Well that didn't take long...  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
85. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 17:29 Prez

For the record Cutter said this is one of the most idiotic business moves he has ever seen by a company (paraphrasing), and I am inclined to agree. This is beyond ridiculous - it's just obscenely and surreally absurd. He also made mention of "Ballmer Junior" making the same retarded decisions as his "daddy".  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > MS to Reveal $2.5B Mojang Deal Tomorrow?
26. Re: MS to Reveal $2.5B Mojang Deal Tomorrow? Sep 14, 2014, 13:54 Prez

The absurdity of this is almost more than I can wrap my head around.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > MS Working on Xbox Streaming to Browsers?
25. Re: MS Working on Xbox Streaming to Browsers? Sep 14, 2014, 00:28 Prez

jdreyer wrote on Sep 13, 2014, 23:07:
Sounds like M$ is going to announce their acquisition of Mojang for $2.5B on Monday.

The absurdity of that is almost beyond comprehension.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > MS Working on Xbox Streaming to Browsers?
22. Re: MS Working on Xbox Streaming to Browsers? Sep 13, 2014, 20:41 Prez

It seems Microsoft will do anything to avoid making actual PC games again. Rather than streaming console games on a PC, I would prefer them releasing some actual PC games. Good ones preferably.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > PC GTA5 in January
75. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 13, 2014, 04:41 Prez

Right or wrong, the console game will usually be released before the PC version for the simple reason that most publishers feel console sales will be leeched by gamers instead pirating the PC version. Given the choice between no PC version or a late PC version, I'll take the late option.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Fable Anniversary
19. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Fable Anniversary Sep 13, 2014, 03:04 Prez

J wrote on Sep 13, 2014, 02:21:
TotalBiscuit has a new video up about it. He's not impressed.

I watched it and found out that the "modding support" they did in favor of mouse control does not involve adding new weapons, items, quests, or areas. That's way lame. Like "Night Court in its 5th season" lame.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus
53. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus Sep 13, 2014, 02:38 Prez

Is there any way to completely avoid PvP (not just in "safe zones") in this game or is it strictly Multiplayer/MMO?  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > PC GTA5 in January
69. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 12, 2014, 20:38 Prez

I'll be glad to wait the extra two months if it means I won't have to deal with a terribly unoptimized PC port like GTA IV was.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
100. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2014, 18:06 Prez

Verno wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 09:33:
This is why its so difficult to take any feminism in gaming movement seriously. I can't sympathize with the issues when you're faking them and engaging in extremely dishonest behavior. It calls into question whether theres even a problem in the first place or if that is also a product of imagination. I certainly don't see rampant sexism in my gaming circles so to speak.

These people just seem to want attention, money and people to just accept their agendas blindly. Sorry but not happening, the veil has been pulled back.

It is kind of depressing how many dishonest editorials and all of the browbeating we've been subjected to put into this kind of context.

Which is why people have said people like Quin and Saekeesian hurt the cause of fighting sexism in games more than they help it. They have only done women gamers a disservice.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Transverse Funding Reworked
13. Re: Transverse Funding Reworked Sep 12, 2014, 14:31 Prez

I don't know, even with this reworking, it just seems they are setting themselves up for a major embarassment.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Nears; New Trailer
9. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Nears; New Trailer Sep 11, 2014, 23:25 Prez

The first game was very immersive and did a great job filling a very underserved niche of capital spaceship commander (Space Wolves and Nexus were the last two games I played in the genre and I like them both a lot). I liked it despite it being (understandably) rough around the edges.

Looking forward to the second.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Out of the Blue
58. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2014, 23:13 Prez

And yet, despite considering all the possibilities they come out with a two game suspension.

I guess what I am wondering is why is the NFL and not Baltimore law enforcement (assuming the incident happened in the city where he plays) responsible for rendering punishment? Domestic assault is a crime - he should have been arrested. The two game suspension would have been more palatable had he spent a few months in prison on top of that.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Star Trek: Alien Domain Announced
18. Re: Star Trek: Alien Domain Announced Sep 11, 2014, 23:09 Prez

A browser-based MMO? Oh "squee", I am hardly able to contain my considerable excitement. I may have to lay down for a spell.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Star Citizen DFM Patch Imminent
51. Re: Star Citizen DFM Patch Imminent Sep 11, 2014, 23:04 Prez

I have a friend who calls me from Florida who only just found about Star Citizen in the last few months. When he calls all he ever wants to talk about is Star Citizen. He was on a long government assignment where he had no time for gaming news and had a shit internet connection, so yeah, he was in fact essentially living under a rock. Now that he found it he's like a 12 year-old boy who found his very own life size Transformer in his back yard (Like Shea LaBeouf!). He bought in at the highest tier, created his own fleet and keeps pestering me to "hurry up and buy the game so we can play when it comes out". I just don't have the heart to tell him at the rate it's progressing he and I will be in a geriatric home before it ships.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Dying Light Early
12. Re: Dying Light Early Sep 11, 2014, 22:41 Prez

As someone who loved Dead Island and Riptide (though I'd be lying if I said if I wasn't expecting more from the latter), I am equally excited about Dying Light. It needs to have some pretty major advancements though; it can't just be Dead Island 1.2 (Assuming Riptide was DI 1.1 of course).  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
90. Re: Op Ed Sep 11, 2014, 22:38 Prez

A gross guy who has rarely mentioned video games before, and when he has he's mentioned gamers with disdain, jumps in on this and people applaud him because he agrees with them...
I'm sure that you have been around enough to know that this isnt a new phenomenon, nor is it isolated just the gaming culture. It is common in virtually everything that sees sides with conflicting viewpoints. For someone as intelligent as you, I'm confused as to why you are getting caught up in it. I don't support this guy at all, but he isn't the end-all be-all of my opposition to the extreme feminist agenda in gaming culture. He isn't even a blip on my radar.

As an aside, seeing as how Ana Sarkeesian is on record as saying she had no interest in videogames and never played them until she took her crusade to gaming it could be said people on her side were suckered in on the same phenomenon.

*EDITED because I forgot to properly quote.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2014, 23:16.

- Mahatma Gandhi

12611 Comments. 631 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo