Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nathan J

Real Name Nathan J   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Domgrief
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.wangalliance.org/
Signed On May 23, 2003, 10:36
Total Comments 176 (Novice)
User ID 17172

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Sims 2 Support Ending
4. Re: Sims 2 Support Ending Jul 16, 2014, 10:24 Domgrief

Upgrading customers to the "complete edition" for free is a really nice gesture.

I'd love to see that done more often for games after their DLC and support lifespan has ended - it's really frustrating when you see the "complete edition" for a game on sale for cheaper than you can pick up a couple of pieces of DLC for a game which you bought and loved years ago.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2014, 01:29 Domgrief

Thanks for the Dealzon link Blue! That saved me an extra couple of dollars compared to the voucher on GMG itself.

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 21:33:
Well finally broke down and rebought FFVII/VIII even though I own it on PC-CD, sadly the CD's are starting to get kinda worn and they're not getting picked up on readers very well anymore. And ripping/swapping them is just a pain in the ass.

I remember fighting with FMV decoders and Nvidia fixes to get FFVII running a while ago - I also sprung for the updated versions and am looking forward to some hassle-free nostalgia.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Apr 9, 2014, 00:33 Domgrief

Jerykk wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 00:04:
Cutter wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 19:43:
Exactly right. Wait for the bargain bin. And do not buy TT games before they're finished.

I don't really understand this logic. If you think it's a very good game, why wait until it hits the bargain bin?

I think it's less about the bargain bin (though I'm sure all of us enjoy a good discount), and more about maximising enjoyment.

I certainly enjoy binging on a season of TV more than I enjoy waiting 4 weeks between instalments during the middle of a normal TV season. The same is true for games, and TT are at a point where they sometimes take months between releases. That's long enough to forget the plot.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Mar 28, 2014, 08:05 Domgrief

Acleacius wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 20:12:
Just ooc, a US buyer can buy it then play on US servers or are there even servers? I read somewhere, there is only one megatype server.

Unsure about the multiple servers, but GetGamesGo's TESO page says:

Q. If I Pre-Order TESO from GetGamesGo what region/server keycode will I receive?
A. There is no region or server locking in place so you will be fine to play on any server.

TESO is only USD$105 (before discount) for Australians on GMG - love regional pricing!

News Comments > Molyneux: Indie Revival "Won't Last"
64. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 26, 2014, 07:36 Domgrief

InBlack wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 04:48:
Julio wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 19:59:
If you believe they actually walked on the moon.

Oh Christ. Moon hoaxers are even worse than climate change deniers...

Research indicates that in some cases they're the same people anyway!

</threadhijack>

News Comments > Molyneux: Indie Revival "Won't Last"
59. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 25, 2014, 22:44 Domgrief

So it looks like the crux of Molyneux's argument is "we're not all going to be indies for the next 5 years."

Um, thank you, Captain Obvious?

Of course publishers are going to try and cash in on successful studios, and some developers will be prepared to trade their creative freedom for a share of the money.

"Manufactured" or not, we'll probably get some games that we enjoy in the process. Meanwhile, there'll be a million other indies who didn't sign with publishers.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Mar 18, 2014, 20:01 Domgrief

Space HoRSE $24.95

Ooh, that was on my "I wouldn't pay full price, but I'll pick that up one day when it's on special" list.

... when it was released 11 years ago. Sorry guys, but too little, too late.

News Comments > PopCap Layoffs
14. Re: PopCap Layoffs Mar 14, 2014, 00:46 Domgrief

I lost interest in PopCap when they stopped building new IP, and started doubling down on Bejeweled and PvZ and making it available for every new iThing on the market. Which seems to be around 2009 sometime.  

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Mar 4, 2014, 09:37 Domgrief

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 02:47:
at a cost of around $10,000 per dev-month

I'm sorry, what? Devs cost 10K per fucking month???

At a guess, that's 5K per dev month, plus 401(k), plus insurance, plus facilities, plus project management, plus middle management, plus management. Hell, they probably include testers and the back-office team.

It sounds like this $10,000 figure was something Raven threw around as a gross generalisation of how much it costs them as a company to make a game, and if so, it's quite plausible.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Feb 26, 2014, 21:10 Domgrief

Acleacius wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 20:46:
It is! Wondering how we will know about individual sales, only by checking the listing in the Specials tab everyday?

Seems like the specials tab will be the most authoritative list, but you might want to consider extending your wishlist.

Theoretically you get notified about sales for anything on your wishlist - that's always seemed a bit hit-and-miss to me - but quickly clicking on your wishlist every now and again (especially on a weekend) is a great way to check if anything you care about is on special.

That said, Steam changes pretty rapidly, maybe we'll see a Channel for discount announcements it in the Steam Headlines/News section before too long.

News Comments > Meet the Flockers
3. Re: Meet the Flockers Feb 26, 2014, 21:02 Domgrief

ViRGE wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 20:44:
"This is the most important game we've worked on in over a decade,"

And you couldn't be bothered to think of an original title?

I think they left "original" back in 1995.

News Comments > Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released
15. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 19:57 Domgrief

Seventyfive wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:44:
Is Civ 5 any good? I stopped playing a few Civ's ago when my tank got destroyed by archers. Kind of thought that was some real bullshit.

The first expansion made some significant changes to unit health, so that fighting a dramatically weaker unit is likely to cause it to take 1-2% damage instead of 10%+. So that particular problem isn't as as bad as previous Civ games.

Overall the combat is balanced - if your cavalry are surrounded by pikemen or your city is being harried by a lone unit of archers, you can safely predict the outcome.

I've never been particularly fond of battles which involved more than one of air, land, or sea at the same time, but I'm not sure if that's because it's not balanced or I just suck at it.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jan 9, 2014, 17:39 Domgrief

Anyone who picked up the last Frozenbyte bundle - almost 3 years ago now - might be pleased to hear that their promised game, Splot, is not complete vapourware.  

News Comments > Steam Machines Announcement
48. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 09:45 Domgrief

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 09:21:
BitWraith wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 08:48:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 06:20:
Half-Life 2 was not the reason Steam took off.

Keep telling yourself that one.

I'm sure it was a factor but you don't think Counter-Strike had a bigger impact? It was the most played online game for years running after the WON retirement and probably lead to millions of Steam installs.

I'm actually not having any luck finding user counts over time with my google-fu, but that's a really interesting thing to ponder.

Based on the "years of service" badges in my friends list, the same number of friends signed up for Steam in the 12 months preceding HL2's release than in the 12 months after it.

Combined, though, they only make up about 1/3 of my friends list - the rest have mostly been users since 2008.

I'd say the biggest factor in Steam "taking off" was in the past few years when it's become weird for a game not to be available on Steam on launch day, no doubt assisted by word of mouth from the old school users.

I'm sure worldwide ADSL adoption hasn't hurt, either.

News Comments > Steam Machines Announcement
43. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 08:32 Domgrief

Steam Machines offer console gamers something that would blow their UUDDLRLRBA minds - competitive pricing.

Valve might be the most dominant player in the digital distribution market, but it's not the only player, and it seems to have a much more agile relationship with publishers regarding sales and discounts. AAA titles stand a chance of being picked up at a significant discount to their Sony/Microsoft equivalents, even pre-orders.

A couple of people have posited that people might not buy this if it was for sale in Best Buy next to a PS4 and an XBOne, but there's still a really good value proposition.
Maybe not one that's terribly exciting for the powers that be at Best Buy.
I think a bigger problem than the sticker price is the launch line-up. If the potential buyer doesn't have a gaming rig to run Game Streaming, the current list of titles isn't exactly jaw-dropping, though Valve does promise to reveal more "AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014".

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up
19. Re: Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up Jan 5, 2014, 22:12 Domgrief

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 19:14:
The people it upsets are the people that want to abuse it.

My wife's PC is sitting about 2 metres from mine.

The new feature is more restrictive than the old days of "insert disc 1" (where our only real limitation was on playing play the same game at the same time), which is a bit of a shame.

That said, Valve should still be commended on actually taking steps to give us more freedom.

News Comments > December Steam Survey
8. Re: December Steam Survey Jan 5, 2014, 19:41 Domgrief

Dev wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 17:03:
Domgrief wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 11:54:
Almost 20% of surveyed machines are Russian? That surprised me.
Steam makes it much more convenient, and valve has proven there's a market there.

What actually surprises me is that a PC with a decent internet connection is affordable for the average Russian, though clearly this isn't new news.

Having a successful Russian market is one thing, but from those numbers it looks like per-capita penetration of the Steam platform into Russia is on par with, or higher than, the US.

News Comments > December Steam Survey
1. Re: December Steam Survey Jan 5, 2014, 11:54 Domgrief

Almost 20% of surveyed machines are Russian? That surprised me.

That data would be interesting to navigate with some analytics software.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2013, 00:09 Domgrief

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 21:30:
Nope... How many times must it be explained that these Top 10 lists are based on weekly revenue flowing through Steam?

Probably about once for everyone who visits the comments of a "Steam Top 10" post here, then wonders how it all works. I certainly can't see it documented anywhere except in forum footnotes, and that's for Valve's "Top Sellers" list and may not be exactly the same as whichever report Blue is looking at.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
26. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 15, 2013, 21:02 Domgrief

If backers got steam keys to play the beta, maybe Valve's report shows all key registrations/activations, and not just transactions through the Steam storefront.

Though if that was true, there'd be a spike every time a steam-key-in-a-box AAA title (activision, zenimax, etc.) was released to brick-and-mortar stores.

176 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo