Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nathan J

Real Name Nathan J   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Domgrief
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.wangalliance.org/
Signed On May 23, 2003, 10:36
Total Comments 189 (Novice)
User ID 17172

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 25, 2014, 03:49 Domgrief

So they took the art resources from an existing game, shoehorned them into an SDK provided by a gambling software company, and dubbed it "pushing the envelope"?

It looks more like a desperate attempt to monetise.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Nov 1, 2014, 10:53 Domgrief

Why Final Fantasy is Trying So Hard...

HuffPo is suggesting that the FF guys are spending so much time on hair because it makes the game look good and will therefore sell more... and then support this argument by talking about how much effort they put into hair for "The Spirits Within", which was a complete flop.

News Comments > Crusader: No Remorse Free on Origin
36. Re: Crusader: No Remorse Free on Origin Oct 30, 2014, 10:12 Domgrief

jdreyer wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 19:40:
Task wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 15:35:
Is this some sort of anti-establishment/corporatism game? Sounds right up my alley.

Yeah, shocking that EA would be offering it for free and tacitly encouraging people to play it.

EA have given their blessing to worse...

News Comments > Toybox Turbos Announced for Next Month
4. Re: Toybox Turbos Announced for Next Month Oct 25, 2014, 10:25 Domgrief

Sacrifice wrote on Oct 25, 2014, 07:47:
I'm going to keep an open mind. It reminds me of Micro Machines. They were a great series of racing games.

That'd be the "fondly remembered miniature racing titles" referred to in the press release. It's kind of depressing that lawyers are so sensitive that they skirt around mentioning it by name.

Edit: ... and ironic that they'd pander to lawyers by not mentioning Micro Machines, while using a title that couldn't be more obviously derivative.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 23, 2014, 15:52 Domgrief

It's good to see that Microsoft is ditching the Nokia brand with its patchy history of terrible mobile phones, and cashing in on Microsoft's respectable history with the devices.

Wait a minute...

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Flashback Released
3. Re: Jagged Alliance: Flashback Released Oct 22, 2014, 03:57 Domgrief

Dmitri_M wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 02:25:
I still like the mechanics. The voice acting is still perfect.

Some of the cast was great, but I wouldn't go as far as "perfect" - Ira's "She is evil. A driven bitch." is the worst piece of voice acting I've ever heard.

News Comments > Counter-Strike Nexon: Zombies Launches
3. Re: Counter-Strike Nexon: Zombies Launches Oct 8, 2014, 04:39 Domgrief

ItBurn wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 00:42:
Wow. I know some people prefer the original CS, but this is the Half-life 1 engine and it looks shittier than most Hl1 mods...

And developed by Nexon, the competitive gaming powerhouse that brought us games we know and love like ... Maple Story.

Just goes to show that you can build microtransactions into any game.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Oct 7, 2014, 14:22 Domgrief

Silicon Avatar wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 13:59:
Why do we even have video game journalists anymore?

Surely I can't be the only person who doesn't like getting their game reviews from YouTube videos. I'd much rather skim a couple of badly written reviews than sit through a Let's Play.

Also, good journalism is a form of entertainment in its own right. I might have initially become attached to Blue's due to the excellently curated content, but that's not why I look forward to reading it each morning.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Oct 7, 2014, 10:30 Domgrief

Disney Infinity seemed kind of fun while I was playing through what I assume is the tutorial - it's got a light-hearted approach to the characters which reminds me a lot of the LEGO games - but the price of unlocking a couple of characters in their store more than I'd pay for a AAA game these days.

If that's normal for consoles, I'm glad I'm a PC gamer.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 6, 2014, 11:23 Domgrief

(Full disclosure: Our firm represented the defendant in this case.)

That explains why the article is so absurdly one-sided. The author is trying extremely hard to insinuate that the ruling is more wide-reaching than it necessarily is.

News Comments > New AMD Catalyst Drivers
12. Re: New AMD Catalyst Drivers Sep 30, 2014, 21:26 Domgrief

Both the CCC and the Raptr/AMD client sent me to download pages for two different (older) versions of Catalyst.

Three downloads later, I *think* I'm finally on 14.9...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2014, 10:16 Domgrief

Pronunciation can be regional - we were a bit surprised to see Nissan advertised in Canada as nee-sahn (here in Australia the ads use a much sharper ni-sen) - but if the official FAQ says "sash-er-ee" then they might have the right of it.  

News Comments > Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced
14. Re: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced Sep 1, 2014, 02:45 Domgrief

Cutter wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 18:48:
Problem is I *still* remember these games backwards and forwards. And while they were great I have no desire to go back to them. Why don't they pony up some more dough and make some new CPRGs ala PE, W2, DoS, Shadowrun, et al? I'd be far more interested in that then these old games being updated a bit.

I think the larger problem with these remakes is that, no matter how much you polish the engine, AD&D 2.5 still feels 20 years old. Most people who know what THAC0 means are probably grandparents by now.

It's nice to be able to go through and replay these games, but these Enhanced Editions really seem focused on bringing the game from "unplayable" to "tolerable". And they do a fine job of that, but it's hard to get excited about.

News Comments > Sims 2 Support Ending
4. Re: Sims 2 Support Ending Jul 16, 2014, 10:24 Domgrief

Upgrading customers to the "complete edition" for free is a really nice gesture.

I'd love to see that done more often for games after their DLC and support lifespan has ended - it's really frustrating when you see the "complete edition" for a game on sale for cheaper than you can pick up a couple of pieces of DLC for a game which you bought and loved years ago.

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2014, 01:29 Domgrief

Thanks for the Dealzon link Blue! That saved me an extra couple of dollars compared to the voucher on GMG itself.

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 21:33:
Well finally broke down and rebought FFVII/VIII even though I own it on PC-CD, sadly the CD's are starting to get kinda worn and they're not getting picked up on readers very well anymore. And ripping/swapping them is just a pain in the ass.

I remember fighting with FMV decoders and Nvidia fixes to get FFVII running a while ago - I also sprung for the updated versions and am looking forward to some hassle-free nostalgia.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Apr 9, 2014, 00:33 Domgrief

Jerykk wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 00:04:
Cutter wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 19:43:
Exactly right. Wait for the bargain bin. And do not buy TT games before they're finished.

I don't really understand this logic. If you think it's a very good game, why wait until it hits the bargain bin?

I think it's less about the bargain bin (though I'm sure all of us enjoy a good discount), and more about maximising enjoyment.

I certainly enjoy binging on a season of TV more than I enjoy waiting 4 weeks between instalments during the middle of a normal TV season. The same is true for games, and TT are at a point where they sometimes take months between releases. That's long enough to forget the plot.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Mar 28, 2014, 08:05 Domgrief

Acleacius wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 20:12:
Just ooc, a US buyer can buy it then play on US servers or are there even servers? I read somewhere, there is only one megatype server.

Unsure about the multiple servers, but GetGamesGo's TESO page says:

Q. If I Pre-Order TESO from GetGamesGo what region/server keycode will I receive?
A. There is no region or server locking in place so you will be fine to play on any server.

TESO is only USD$105 (before discount) for Australians on GMG - love regional pricing!

News Comments > Molyneux: Indie Revival "Won't Last"
64. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 26, 2014, 07:36 Domgrief

InBlack wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 04:48:
Julio wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 19:59:
If you believe they actually walked on the moon.

Oh Christ. Moon hoaxers are even worse than climate change deniers...

Research indicates that in some cases they're the same people anyway!

</threadhijack>

News Comments > Molyneux: Indie Revival "Won't Last"
59. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 25, 2014, 22:44 Domgrief

So it looks like the crux of Molyneux's argument is "we're not all going to be indies for the next 5 years."

Um, thank you, Captain Obvious?

Of course publishers are going to try and cash in on successful studios, and some developers will be prepared to trade their creative freedom for a share of the money.

"Manufactured" or not, we'll probably get some games that we enjoy in the process. Meanwhile, there'll be a million other indies who didn't sign with publishers.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Mar 18, 2014, 20:01 Domgrief

Space HoRSE $24.95

Ooh, that was on my "I wouldn't pay full price, but I'll pick that up one day when it's on special" list.

... when it was released 11 years ago. Sorry guys, but too little, too late.

189 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo