Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kevin

Real Name Kevin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname |RaptoR|
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 257542
Description Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev
Homepage http://www.generallystupid.com
Signed On May 22, 2003, 22:47
Total Comments 263 (Amateur)
User ID 17169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > XCOM 2 Troubleshooting
22. Re: XCOM 2 Troubleshooting Feb 11, 2016, 22:24 |RaptoR|

Creston wrote on Feb 11, 2016, 21:38:
1badmf wrote on Feb 11, 2016, 18:02:
why is that even a thing? like, i don't... i can't even... caps lock?!? really?

I'm honestly not sure what people are talking about. I tried it, and the loading times are exactly as long as they were before (ie, insanely long.)

The only thing it seems to do (I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like it is) is that it's auto-interrupting some of the small cutscenes and advancing you that way. (so it interrupts the cutscenes of the avenger flying over, and your squad rappelling down.)

I have no idea why -- that's something 2k would need to answer -- but it DEFINITELY speeds up load times.

As far as I can tell, so long as you have:

1 - loaded the avenger at least once and,
2 - loaded a mission once

Every time you return from a mission to the avenger for the duration of your session, pressing CAPS LOCK during the load sequence in the drop ship, it'll pause for 1-2 seconds and then immediately trigger the continue button.

Normally, it will sit there for 30-45 seconds showing the stats and the crew before it pops continue.

Pretty weird shit. Saw it on reddit, tried it, and about died when it fucking worked

Playing: League of Legends, Xcom 2, Heroes of the Storm
Xbox Live: Heinekev
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > XCOM 2 Troubleshooting
6. Re: XCOM 2 Troubleshooting Feb 11, 2016, 14:30 |RaptoR|

My performance was pretty terrible until I switched from MSAA down to FXAA. Slight dip in quality, but INSANE performance increase.

Also, hitting capslock while in the sky ranger to speed up load times is hilarious -- AND it works.

Either way, this is one of my favorite games of all time already. Loving it so much

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2016, 15:29 |RaptoR|

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 11:00:
Totally stoked for XCOM2, the hype is real.

Can't wait. Preload complete!

I just finished Xcom Enemy Unknown for the first time last night. Shocked I almost missed out on such a fantastic series. Taking heavies to the sky with Archangel Armor and dropping rockets has got to be one of the most satisfying things.

Also, medics with Archangel to get to your rooftop snipers that catch the unfortunate round or two.

Longest workday EVER

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2016, 13:50 |RaptoR|

Hey Blue, you have an advertisement that makes browsing your site on an iPhone impossible. About 3 seconds after hitting your front page, it pops up a dialogue and then immediately redirects to some shady looking page:

http://i.imgur.com/I8X3dm0.png

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2016, 17:52 |RaptoR|

NKD wrote on Jan 17, 2016, 16:33:
Seattle Carolina game was tough to watch in the first half but really exciting in the second. Was worried it was going to be a snoozer shutout.

The only really bad part about the game was Cam Newton waffling between tantrum throwing and being a smug douchebag. The best part was one of his tantrums accidentally getting caught on audio.

"I CANT KEEP MY FUCKING COOL..." -Cam Newton (Link for anyone who missed it.)

It's pretty clear he was told to keep it together earlier by the coach and his response was "I can't keep my fucking cool when ..." and he turns to reference something happening out on the field.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Matchmaking Changes
10. Re: Heroes of the Storm Matchmaking Changes Jan 14, 2016, 22:19 |RaptoR|

I do enjoy Heroes a good bit when I am playing with my friends. It's atrocious when you queue solo or with a partner, though, and mostly because of matchmaking.

I have a love/hate relationship with the objective based gameplay. It's a great way to shake up the typical competitive MOBA gameplay, but the maps are in DIRE need of a proper balancing/tuning. Or at the very least, matchmaking needs to look at the team compositions and fit them to a map that is appropriate.

And unlike most other MOBAs, by the time you are max level you are still getting matched up with people who don't understand the fundamentals -- no lane soaking for xp, taking 3 into a lane and leaving the other 2 to manage 3 lanes on their own, etc. It's like the go-to game for casual soccer dads, which is okay if that's what you are... but having previous MOBA experience just leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth about the whole thing. It's frustrating just how fucking bad some of the players can be even at max level with a metric ton of experience under their belt.

The matchmaking, though. It's so bad. SO BAD.

Beyond pairing up 5-man teams against 5 solo queue people (who are promptly rolled), matchmaking fucking sucks at pairing champs together properly. It'll put together a team with an Abathur, Nova, and Cho'Gall and then drop them on a map with 3 lanes. No coverage, experience falls behind because you don't have folks in lanes, and there's not a god damned thing you can do about it except wait out the loss.

For those that don't play, experience is earned through player kills and by being near minions when they die (soaking). Champs like Nova are stealth assassins that are best suited to floating between lanes applying pressure and keeping the enemy team honest. Abathur is an augment champ that doesn't have a traditional presence in a lane (typically he stays in base/behind walls). He spawns little siege minions and can attach to a friendly champion/minion to provide a boost and some extra attacks. He's great in a traditional team, but puts extra pressure on the team early on because they'll be 2v1 in a lane. Cho'Gall is a single champ played by two people... so you're immediately down another body/champ when you get a Cho.

So when you get a chogall with an abathur and a nova, you're basically fucked. You'll have one dude in a lane hoping for the best, a nova that doesn't know how to adapt to the lack of lane presence, and a cho'gall that's filling their diaper somewhere because he is hard to play properly.

And it's not just the ones I named -- swap nova with zeratul/any other jungling stealth assassin and the problem is incredibly common. It doesn't help that stealth assassins are some of the most fun classes to play.

There's no ability to surrender, either.

HOTS has SO MUCH potential to be great. Just doesn't deliver, though.

News Comments > Overwatch Beta Hiatus
10. Re: Overwatch Beta Hiatus Dec 4, 2015, 13:27 |RaptoR|

Bub wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 06:34:
Not in beta, cause to me this just looks like Unreal Tournament in HD, a twitchy fast paced get creamed by 12 year olds kind of game.

Let me guess, it is designed from the ground up to be played with a game controller.

The game incorporates gameplay that feels like Unreal Tournament but also introduces a matchup meta similar to League of Legends in some respects.

Once the game starts, each teams makeup plays an important part to how the game will flow. If you're a heavy DPS team getting beasted by a tanky/support team, you need to change up the champion selection. Just like league of legends, counter picking the enemy team plays a significant part in the overall strategy for winning. You can change while dead

BTW, it didn't feel that it was built for a controller, but I can see where it would translate well. I'd hate to play Blackwidow or Pharah with a controller, though.

News Comments > Overwatch Beta Hiatus
3. Re: Overwatch Beta Hiatus Dec 4, 2015, 02:24 |RaptoR|

I played during the stress test weekend and I have been dying to play it again ever since. Not sure why, but I loved it and I played multiple roles. To me, it has a little bit of an unreal tournament feel to it and I dig that  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2015, 03:22 |RaptoR|

Cutter wrote on Nov 28, 2015, 16:04:
Dacron wrote on Nov 28, 2015, 15:33:
Cutter wrote on Nov 28, 2015, 14:46:
Dacron wrote on Nov 28, 2015, 13:57:
Cutter wrote on Nov 28, 2015, 12:29:
Your life is going to McDonalds everyday until you die? Jesus that's sad.

Still better than being an angry, judgmental troll online.

What an empty, pitiful existence you lead.

Still better than being an angry, judgmental troll online.

When life has you down, you just go online to insult to increase your confidence! Thankfully it's amusing for us. Dunno how one stays that angry all the time.

I'm actually happy most of the time. I just get angry with idiots...like you. I don't suffer fools lightly. You're the one starting shit so that makes you the troll. Of course, you're too fucking stupid to grasp even that simple fact, no surprise there. Clowns like you always start trouble, than accuse other people of being the problem. You're just beyond pathetic. Dunno how you manage to keep going on day to day with such a sad, meaningless existence.

Damn, this guy doesn't even realize he's an angry, negative person. That's the real tragedy here

News Comments > The Crew: Wild Run Released
3. Re: The Crew: Wild Run Released Nov 18, 2015, 00:27 |RaptoR|

ochentay4 wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 22:50:
xXStellarDadXx wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 20:08:
ummmm...the crew sucks and from what i hear this doesnt make it any better...
Well, I'm an avid and harsh gamer and I loved it. Played on the Xbone to death and want to buy the bundle digital as I sold the disc for quite amount of cash. I find it similar to Forza Horizon / NFS Rivals / Driveclub.

Does it have proper wheel support now or is it still an abortion trying to get high end wheels working?

News Comments > Paladins Closed Beta
12. removed Nov 17, 2015, 15:52 |RaptoR|

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 17, 2015, 19:18.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 9, 2015, 12:10 |RaptoR|

Today's list proves the leak was a fake. A disappointing fake.  

17. Re: Question about the Amazon link Oct 25, 2015, 01:20 |RaptoR|

Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 11:51:
Hey Blue,

Lately I keep forgetting to follow your banner to Amazon when I go buy something, and only ever remember after it's already been delivered.

I'm not sure if this is technically feasible or not, but is it possible for you to create an auto-forwarding page (to Amazon) off your own domain, that installs the cookie? So say there'd be a page called

www.bluesnews.com/amazonfwd

and if you go to that page, you automatically get taken to Amazon with that banner cookie in place?

I want to make sure you get some money off my amazon purchases, I just keep forgetting to go by here to click the link...

Just an idea.

Thanks!

+1

I didn't realize you had a sponsored link to Amazon. I do most of my shopping there.

News Comments > Battleborn Beta Invites
5. Re: Battleborn Beta Invites Oct 10, 2015, 18:28 |RaptoR|

harlock wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 15:56:
devs cant be arsed to properly fucking code shit anymore

just fucking download it already and fucking buy the hat DLC you sheep

Take a minute and go back through your post history. You are an angry person, and I hope some day you find someone who will love you

News Comments > The Crew: Wild Hunt Beta This Month
4. Re: The Crew: Wild Hunt Beta This Month Oct 5, 2015, 21:05 |RaptoR|

This game is so close to being one of those really awesome free roam racers... it's literally just wheel support away.

The current wheel support is TERRIBLE, on all platforms.

News Comments > Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers
26. Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 27, 2015, 16:40 |RaptoR|

InBlack wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 08:10:
|RaptoR| wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 22:30:

These are not coincidences.

No they are not. There is a reason why Cliff is so universally hated, and it's of his own very 'vocal' doing. Im so sick of arrogant developers deciding for themselves that the "PC master race" as you so eloquently put it is out to get them, steal their games, and take their women.

You know what? You treat us like assholes, you get the asshole treatment right back. Cliff's resume became toilet paper the minute he turned his back on the very people who made him and his company prosper.

There are a lot of developers out there who value and respect their customers and they get respect back in turn. Keep up the hostility though dude, Im sure it will take you places.... Brood

How is my post hostile? Because I'm calling out the toxic posting habits that have become common here?

15. Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 26, 2015, 22:30 |RaptoR|

Cutter wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 22:23:
|RaptoR| wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 21:08:
The hate runs thick on Bluesnews comment threads

Chalk that up to experience, son. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. While we love games - good ones at any rate - this is a very scummy industry in how they treat both customers and workers. The industry only has itself to blame for cultivating that sort of reaction.

Cutter, I work in the industry. I am well aware of the reality of things here.

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 21:27:
|RaptoR| wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 21:08:

Well he's made some of that bed.

Jazz Jackrabbit
Unreal
Unreal Tournament series
Gears of War series

Consulted/contributed to a ton of other projects, including Fat Princess.

Really hard to take issue with that resume.

I think the big thing that people constantly bring up are his comments on piracy and console exclusivity. I can see that being polarizing, I guess. As an industry veteran, I have a different perspective (because it has a direct and very real financial impact to myself personally). I respect both sides, but I think that the PC gamer crowd tends to ignore statistics and work off of gut instincts... but the numbers just don't support it.

Cliffs comments on piracy carry a significant amount of truth -- "PC master race" folks are adamant about denying it, but piracy is real on the PC and it very much so makes developers think twice about targeting the PC with a traditional model. Our multiplatform games utilize back-end analytics services to help us understand play styles and habits of our users so we can understand which modes are popular and which aren't. The data is anonymous, but it does allow us to very easily see legitimately licensed copies vs pirated copies and the numbers are absolutely staggering. Consoles and mobile have an incredibly low percentage, but PC? 80%+ of connected users are not using a genuine license. We don't rely on any DRM, either.

Why do you think DLC is so universally pushed nowadays?
Why do you think that subscription based games are mostly on the PC?

These are not coincidences.

Either way, Cliff's resume stands on its own, and I for one have been looking forward to a non-military shooter for a good while now. Can't wait to see what this brings to the table.

9. Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 26, 2015, 21:08 |RaptoR|

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials; WoW at 5.6M Subs
29. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials; WoW at 5.6M Subs Aug 5, 2015, 05:06 |RaptoR|

Luke wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 04:45:
NKD wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 00:06:
Rattlehead wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 18:51:
I don't know man, FFXIV last I heard 2 months ago had about 4 million active subscribers, and that number only went up since the expansion. Maybe people are leaving WoW for FFXIV?

It wasn't 4 million active subscribers, it was 4 million "registered accounts."

Like wow

In Jan 2014, World of Warcraft broke 100m registered accounts.

So no, not like WoW. Not in the slightest.

edit: source

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 22:21 |RaptoR|

WaltC wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 21:48:
Right now, PCs sell, month in and month out, as many consoles as the xBone & PS4 have shipped combined since their launch. I would not be surprised at all to see PC sales go through the roof beginning in August and for the rest of the year, building momentum as we move towards the Christmas holidays. There is a lot of pent-up demand on the PC side of the market, and the number of people building their own boxes will certainly increase as well.

Still, I'm surprised to see that Microsoft has not yet rectified its xBone mistakes by introducing a new model that is 100% compatible with the old (which is very easy to do since the current xBone is an x86 computer internally, albeit a rather skimpy one), and a new xBone that exceeds the PS4 in GPU/CPU horsepower and ram bandwidth! That's what the people who buy consoles want, and that's exactly why Microsoft is so far behind Sony in unit sales! Microsoft seems simply not to "get it" with the xBone, and that leaves me scratching my head in wonder and bafflement...! How could the company not understand what its console customers want? No point in being in that market if you aren't listening to your customers.

But anyway...people are better off buying PCs than buying either console, no doubt about that, so maybe it's a positive thing that Microsoft missed the console boat. With Windows 10 Microsoft demonstrated that it is capable of listening to its customers--but maybe they are finally coming around with respect to gaming on the PC--D3d12 itself is a strong indicator.

It isn't a one to one comparison. Easily 90% of PC sales are to businesses and enterprises. Not to consumers. Enterprises order pallets of laptops and workstations every MTBF cycle, which can be as low as 2-3 years. Pallets of machines. The consumer market is not doing well at all.

Some further reading from Chris Suh of Microsoft

Of those 90%, maybe 1% will play a game other than Solitaire in its lifetime and that's thanks to Steams accessibility.

Either way, those numbers only address pre-built machines and not the enthusiast build your own market.

And you're not addressing sales figures for software and attachment.

The console market beats the brakes off of the PC market in terms of software sales, even with Steam.

Source: I work in the gaming industry. I can also google.

BF4 - BF4 1.25 million for PC globally. 3.52 million for PS3 alone.
L4D - No sales numbers but L4D sold better on console than PC according to Gaben
GTA5 - GTA5 2 million in a month on PC, 12 million in 24 hours on Consoles
Evolve - 110k PC, 600k PS4, 360k XBone

PCs aren't going anywhere.
Consoles aren't going anywhere.
PC masterrace nerds will always hate console nerds.
Console nerds will always hate PC masterrace nerds.
Gaming will continue to suffer.

Such is life.

I'll chill on my couch and enjoy Forza on my Xbox One, Destiny on my PS4, and everything else on my PC... because I'm a gamer, and care more about gaming than I do which platform I swear allegiance.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2015, 22:32.

263 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo