Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kevin

Real Name Kevin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname |RaptoR|
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 257542
Description Playing: League of Legends, Saints Row 4 (Xbox One), Destiny (PS4)
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev
Homepage http://www.generallystupid.com
Signed On May 22, 2003, 22:47
Total Comments 244 (Novice)
User ID 17169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 22:21 |RaptoR|

WaltC wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 21:48:
Right now, PCs sell, month in and month out, as many consoles as the xBone & PS4 have shipped combined since their launch. I would not be surprised at all to see PC sales go through the roof beginning in August and for the rest of the year, building momentum as we move towards the Christmas holidays. There is a lot of pent-up demand on the PC side of the market, and the number of people building their own boxes will certainly increase as well.

Still, I'm surprised to see that Microsoft has not yet rectified its xBone mistakes by introducing a new model that is 100% compatible with the old (which is very easy to do since the current xBone is an x86 computer internally, albeit a rather skimpy one), and a new xBone that exceeds the PS4 in GPU/CPU horsepower and ram bandwidth! That's what the people who buy consoles want, and that's exactly why Microsoft is so far behind Sony in unit sales! Microsoft seems simply not to "get it" with the xBone, and that leaves me scratching my head in wonder and bafflement...! How could the company not understand what its console customers want? No point in being in that market if you aren't listening to your customers.

But anyway...people are better off buying PCs than buying either console, no doubt about that, so maybe it's a positive thing that Microsoft missed the console boat. With Windows 10 Microsoft demonstrated that it is capable of listening to its customers--but maybe they are finally coming around with respect to gaming on the PC--D3d12 itself is a strong indicator.

It isn't a one to one comparison. Easily 90% of PC sales are to businesses and enterprises. Not to consumers. Enterprises order pallets of laptops and workstations every MTBF cycle, which can be as low as 2-3 years. Pallets of machines. The consumer market is not doing well at all.

Some further reading from Chris Suh of Microsoft

Of those 90%, maybe 1% will play a game other than Solitaire in its lifetime and that's thanks to Steams accessibility.

Either way, those numbers only address pre-built machines and not the enthusiast build your own market.

And you're not addressing sales figures for software and attachment.

The console market beats the brakes off of the PC market in terms of software sales, even with Steam.

Source: I work in the gaming industry. I can also google.

BF4 - BF4 1.25 million for PC globally. 3.52 million for PS3 alone.
L4D - No sales numbers but L4D sold better on console than PC according to Gaben
GTA5 - GTA5 2 million in a month on PC, 12 million in 24 hours on Consoles
Evolve - 110k PC, 600k PS4, 360k XBone

PCs aren't going anywhere.
Consoles aren't going anywhere.
PC masterrace nerds will always hate console nerds.
Console nerds will always hate PC masterrace nerds.
Gaming will continue to suffer.

Such is life.

I'll chill on my couch and enjoy Forza on my Xbox One, Destiny on my PS4, and everything else on my PC... because I'm a gamer, and care more about gaming than I do which platform I swear allegiance.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2015, 22:32.

Playing: League of Legends, Saints Row 4 (Xbox One), Destiny (PS4)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered
32. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 6, 2015, 21:48 |RaptoR|

Basically, if you don't know anything about tech, and you don't want to know anything about tech, you buy an Apple product...;) So, at cocktail parties you can chime into to techie discussions and say, "I've goat a Mac," or "I've got an iPad," which is your price for admission to the immediate social grouping...;) In Apple-oriented groups, knowledge beyond that point is not required.

Everything you've said applies to Windows/PC folks as well. "I've got this Dell and it does everything I need. It's got McAfee for my securities and I can look at cats on the internets with Google Chrome. By the way, I use Google Chrome because I read on ZDNet that it's more secure than Internet Explorer. Microsoft can't do anything right, amirite?"

This fantasy that cocktail parties involve people pretending to care about PC vs Mac is rich, btw. Don't know what parties you're attending...

Here's why I choose Apple hardware as a senior technology professional that's been doing this shit far too long:

1 - Build quality.
2 - BSD roots. dig, SSH, tcpdump, screen, NFS, etc.
3 - SSH server/VNC server built in.
4 - iCloud integration
5 - crashes are localized and don't drop the entire system
6 - network features are WAY more robust than what's available in Windows
7 - Python and Ruby preinstalled -- and WORKING
8 - Powerful and free IDE
9 - Stability

If I need Windows, I'll install it in VMware Fusion. Right now, my only holdback to the Windows world is Visio and the server toolkit

Where do you get this feeling of superiority? Explain it to me. Is it a cost vs performance thing? Distance for the dollar or some such neckbeard bullshit?

You'll spend $599 on a video card but fuck that coffee shop hipster who just spent $1500 on an ultraportable laptop that has no viable Windows peer. He's an asshole who bought it for status and wouldn't know REAL technology if it punched in the face, right!?

Never mind the fact that the coffee shop hipster swilling an overpriced $3 cup of drip may in fact be a senior technology professional taking care of a client emergency in a location that has stable wifi (and that hipster understands that Starbucks is among the few that allow IPSEC NAT traversal). We can't assume that the same guy who would spend $3 on coffee might actually know a thing or two about technology and which conveniently located public establishments have solid internet access, because that's just absurd.

Do you really fret over $3 cups of coffee? I remember when I had to nitpick over $3 expenses. It was when I worked the produce counter at Houchens to have after-school fun money. If that describes you, then sure I can understand why you don't like Apple products.

iOS? Lol...;) The answer is "get yourself a computer" and join the grown-up world and you'll have all of the choice you could want in everything, browsers, software, hardware (unless you buy a Mac, but that's another story.) IMO, anyone who restricts his web browsing to a friggin' cell-phone deserves all the "Safari" he's gonna' get...;)
Ugh!

Your point above is about iOS. I agree with you there. It's a toy, useful for browsing reddit on the shitter or reading an e-book on the patio. But an iPhone is a fun toy to have in my pocket that gets email, directions, and doesn't look like a Japanese space-brick primed to go to deep orbit of Eridaneus IV. Btw, in your grown up world (I'm assuming your grown up decision is Android, right?), you lack universal full device encryption support so really, it's not a grown up world at all but rather a toy that can't be trusted with sensitive data.

That aside, I generally agree with you that iOS is a toy... but then you go and drag the Mac into it.

So, really? Safari, Firefox, and Chrome all work beautifully under OS X. I have an easier time getting WebEx working on a Mac than I ever had on any Windows machine. What are you doing in a web browser nowadays that requires you use a Windows version of anything?

Productivity tools. Office for Mac is strong. SharePoint integration is 100%. Outlook 2014 is now equivalent to the Windows client. Developing .NET apps? I can make that work, or I can install a VM with Visual Studio.

My only complaint is that OmniGraffle does a good job trying to duplicate Visio, but it's not there yet.

BUT BUT BUT GAEMS DONT WRK AHAHAHAHA LOOSER
Rolleyes

I get it. It's cool to hate Apple.

But you're a fucking retard if you think the only people buying Mac hardware are coffee house hipsters more concerned about their Tumblr than holding a respectable job.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered
27. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 6, 2015, 04:27 |RaptoR|

I feel like a lot of you forgot that when this game came out initially, it was so bad that they took it offline and remade it. They know they're already on eggshells with the player base, so it doesn't surprise me that they have a quick response to (yet another) quality issue.

News Comments > Battlezone (1998) Remake Plans
12. Re: Battlezone (1998) Remake Plans Jun 29, 2015, 19:44 |RaptoR|

DangerDog wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 19:02:
But if it looks anything like that VR battlezone "thing" ... ugh!

Wildone wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:13:
And gamers will still bitch about it..just watch.

News Comments > Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel
30. Re: Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel Jun 11, 2015, 20:10 |RaptoR|

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 19:13:
|RaptoR| wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 13:53:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 13:22:
Was looking to buy Project Cars until I found out my wheel wasnt supported on the PS4. All because Logitech would not put the effort in to make it work with the new console. So they can take their G29 and shove it up their ass. I'm buying the competitions wheel, who worked with Sony so their old wheels worked on the PS4.

Curious -- who are you referring to?

Also, Project Cars doesn't use the system drivers for wheels. That's why you can use the Fanatec CSR on the PS4 -- Project Cars has a custom driver built into the game specifically for it. They may add support for the logitech legacy wheels at a later date.

Both Fanatec and Thrustmaster legacy wheels are supported on the PS4. AFAIK the issue is not with SMS, so it's Sony or Logitec, and seeing as two legacy wheel brands are supported logic would dictate the culprit is Logitec. The going theory was that Logitec was getting out of the peripheral wheel game... then this announcement. Only conclusion I can draw is forced obsolescence by Logitec to force people to buy the new wheel, fuck them... and they lose out because I would have upgraded eventually to get the new features.

Fanatec is definitely NOT supported on the PS4. Not sure about the Thrustmaster, but I'd imagine it's the same. The new challenge/handshake protocol requires a specific, sony sourced chip, so I doubt that Thrustmaster found a solution that no one else has.

The Fanatec website claims that PS4 is supported ONLY because of Project Cars. There is NO native support for Fanatec wheels on the PS4.

I have $2500 worth of Fanatec equipment chilling in my living room and a conversation with Fanatec support backing up that claim

25. Re: Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel Jun 11, 2015, 13:53 |RaptoR|

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 13:22:
Was looking to buy Project Cars until I found out my wheel wasnt supported on the PS4. All because Logitech would not put the effort in to make it work with the new console. So they can take their G29 and shove it up their ass. I'm buying the competitions wheel, who worked with Sony so their old wheels worked on the PS4.

Curious -- who are you referring to?

Also, Project Cars doesn't use the system drivers for wheels. That's why you can use the Fanatec CSR on the PS4 -- Project Cars has a custom driver built into the game specifically for it. They may add support for the logitech legacy wheels at a later date.

24. Re: Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel Jun 11, 2015, 13:51 |RaptoR|

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 11:50:
Better wheel and pedals, comparable price.

Two things:

1 - You can't actually buy Fanatec's next-gen wheel without an invitation code. As someone who has spent $2500 with Fanatec and still hasn't received a fucking invitation, this is disgusting.

2 - The comparable XBone/PC wheel will run you: $1,079.00 USD without a shifter.

So not comparable price, at all.

However, Fanatec quality is best in class. Once you finally get past all of the bullshit, terrible customer service, and widespread unavailability of their products, you'll find yourself with the best wheel you can buy without a car attached.

I am CRAZY about Fanatecs products, but the reality of getting a Fanatec wheel for either the PS4 or Xbox One before 2016 is very very slim.

I'm going to be buying the Logitech wheel until I can get my hands on a Fanatec V2 base.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
1. Re: Morning Screenshots Jun 9, 2015, 14:58 |RaptoR|

Oh man. Space Hulk looks so good. Please be good. Please

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2015, 14:04 |RaptoR|

HoTS has been a blast, but the amount of players with absolutely NO idea what's going on is pretty high. I think 3/4 matches will have a clueless player in them -- either a Nova that lanes, a Li Li that doesn't teamfight, an Illidan with no damage done... etc.

I think the Battle.net playerbase is mostly house dads who aren't interested in the competition. A lot of testers from HoTS come directly from the World of Warcraft playerbase

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
3. Re: Sunday Safety Dance May 17, 2015, 23:15 |RaptoR|

Google is much worse than Apple or Microsoft... MUCH worse  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation May 12, 2015, 22:27 |RaptoR|

That guitar hero live setlist blows  

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Trailer
20. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Trailer Feb 14, 2015, 02:25 |RaptoR|

bigspender wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 17:52:
The Emperor commands you to mute the sound in this trailer, and instead listen to the music from this trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFHKIFDjk9I while watching the Deathwing trailer.

PURGE THE ALIEN SCUM!

Man, Space Marine was a fun game. I should play through it again sometime soon

News Comments > NVIDIA Evolve Drivers
10. Re: NVIDIA Evolve Drivers Feb 11, 2015, 01:55 |RaptoR|

mellis wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 18:24:
It's odd, but the monster artwork in Evolve looks like it was lifted straight from Shiny's Giants: Citizen Kabuto

Compare Evolve to Giants: Citizen Kabuto - uncanny?

Uncanny? I mean, they're both big monsters with lots of teeth I suppose.

But outside of that, no

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2015, 18:42 |RaptoR|

Dachande wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 11:37:
I never eaten any spicy food until I moved from the UK to the USA, Mexican food is now my favorite. I never understand people that eat mild spicy food when you have the option to eat the core from the sun. It hurts like hell but at least you know you're alive, for a few minutes anyway.

Great name choice

News Comments > Warhammer: End Times Vermintide Announced
6. Re: Warhammer: End Times Vermintide Announced Feb 5, 2015, 14:09 |RaptoR|

InBlack wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 09:48:
Kind of off-topic but is there any news on that WH40K Space Hulk shooter in development that was announced some time back? I find WH fantasy rather boring, while the 40K 'verse is all kinds of cool.

Same!

However, under Morning Previews today, Blue posted an article about the new spacehulk:

http://www.gamewatcher.com/previews/space-hulk-deathwing-preview/12142

From the article:

I imagine that co-op will be the main draw with Deathwing – the game’s got a very distinct Left 4 Dead vibe going on, as the hordes of genestealers become ever more aggressive and numerous the further you head into the bowels of the ship.

here's hoping it's not a dud!

News Comments > Blizzard Rumors: "Low Expectations" for Heroes of the Storm?
26. Re: Blizzard Rumors: Jan 30, 2015, 21:06 |RaptoR|

Xero wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 11:08:
Heroes of the Storm? Fun game but yeah, the idea of paying for unlockables and basically skins doesn't sound appealing to me. Especially at Bliz rates.

I also think their Overwatch game looks dull, and they should of just stuck to one of their current IPs and just continue with what works best.

Heroes of the Storm, on its own, is a pretty good game. But compared to the genre juggernauts (League of Legends, DOTA2, and to a lesser extent Smite), it doesn't bring enough to the table to really attract people from those titles.

At best, they will get the incumbent WoW house dads simply because it's familiar and a demographic they have close ties to.

Overwatch, on the other hand, looks awesome to me. It's one of my most anticipated games. I wish they'd share more about it. I love the art style, and I've been starved for a non-military shooter for a while.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Writer Leaves Gearbox
10. Re: Borderlands 2 Writer Leaves Gearbox Jan 30, 2015, 20:54 |RaptoR|

I have a ridiculous amount of time invested in Borderlands 2, but I think I may be the only one on the planet that really preferred the first game to it.

If they're going to recapture the spark, I hope it's to recapture from the first iteration, not the second.

But I'll be playing BL3 regardless, and by no means am I insinuating that BL2 was bad -- just not as good as the first in my opinion

News Comments > Free League of Legends Soundtrack
7. Re: Free League of Legends Soundtrack Jan 29, 2015, 03:50 |RaptoR|

You know what, I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. Just re-read your post history, and I pretty much agree universally on your recent posts -- especially Titanfall.

My bad.

4. Re: Free League of Legends Soundtrack Jan 28, 2015, 21:52 |RaptoR|

Slick wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 21:24:
what bullshit, of course they give this away for free now only so they can charge for it later. but of course it's ArenaNet, so it's to be expected. I bet they strip the BGM out of future titles only to sell as DLC. fuck LoL, they're the most evil fuckers in the industry.

1 - the music is not from the game, but inspired by the game.
2 - league of legends is not made by or even associated with arena net
3 - leagues free to play model is the example the rest of the industry should follow
4 - you are retarded and this post, along with your post history, provide ample proof

1. Re: Free League of Legends Soundtrack Jan 28, 2015, 18:22 |RaptoR|

Blue, League isn't an ArenaNet title (you're thinking Guild Wars). It's Riot Games and PVP.net  

244 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo