Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for famished

Real Name famished   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname famished
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 21, 2003, 12:11
Total Comments 704 (Apprentice)
User ID 17145

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM 3 Add-on & Xbox Dated?
28. Re: Why not say... Feb 9, 2005, 17:23  famished 

"But the way you literally had to fire blindly and hope you killed the enemy was so damn cool. The other one was when i got the chainsaw. "

Why is it that the chainsaw sounds in D3 were more lame than those in Doom? I remember in the orginal when you took out something with it, the sound would wind out like the saw was under stress. In D3, it just gave the same sound all the time.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 17:24.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tycoon City: New York Announced
2. Re: wowwwww Feb 9, 2005, 17:12  famished 

"or then again..I could play this on a P150 "

Sounds like "Software Tycoon" to me.

News Comments > DOOM 3 Add-on & Xbox Dated?
27. Re: Why not say... Feb 9, 2005, 14:51  famished 

" 'When it's fun' instead of 'When it's done'."

Lol

News Comments > 3D Gamers and IGN/GameSpy
45. Re: Wow Feb 9, 2005, 14:49  famished 

"Here is to hoping though IGN does not make 3DGamers suck, as it has always been my favorite site for downloading! "

Really? No offense, but most of the time I go there I get a server capacity error. Maybe it's my time zone here in Europe that lines up with some unusually high bandwidth hotspots in the States?

News Comments > PC Narc & Powerdrome Revealed
3. Re: ~sighs~ Feb 9, 2005, 08:00  famished 

I naively thought this was the original coin-op NARC. That game rocked.

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Date?
36. Re: V Feb 9, 2005, 07:53  famished 

"No need to be sarcastic or snippy just because you're in a bad mood. "

Well, it is the blues forums after all. Wasn't it founded on sarcasm?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
33. Re: Ads Feb 7, 2005, 14:59  famished 

"Do men hit women because they are women abusers, or because physically striking a woman, or anyone for that matter, stops them from controlling the man?"

Because they don't express themselves before it's too late perhaps? Or they cannot control their tempers? It's cowardly under all circumstances, no matter how much of a witch the woman is.

News Comments > Game Movies
28. Re: Laughs Feb 7, 2005, 14:52  famished 

"Sentence fragments! B minus!

Oops. "

You registered just for that? Not bad...

Edit: Spelling

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 14:53.

News Comments > Game Movies
24. Re: Laughs Feb 7, 2005, 07:47  famished 

Bolten? Bolton. Maybe it's Dubya in disguise? Adding more fuel.

Speaking of which, never start a sentence with "and".

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 07:50.

News Comments > Far Cry Patch
78. Re: That's a load of shit Feb 2, 2005, 05:41  famished 

"Show me a game where you can decide not to do things and still progress and I'll show you a game that doesn't pull you around on a leash. "

Morrowind. You can cruise around and gain skill (ie progress) without even having to worry about the main quest. However to "progress" through the main quest you need to go where the designers send you.

But this is all semantics. Though Deus Ex provided a few paths to reach point B, that is much more non-linear than what HL2 provided. I do understand that this way Valve could put 100% effort into a cinematic experience for the player, rather than spreading themselves too thin by providing options. But to be honest, I think this style will slowly change in the future as it seems a lot of people are asking for choices these days. Could be wrong, but that's my guess.

By the way Scottish, you're already a guru - is there some rank beyond that, that you are striving for
This comment was edited on Feb 2, 05:44.

65. Re: That's a load of shit Feb 1, 2005, 17:21  famished 

Which makes me wonder - will it ever lead to FPS games being designed more like open ended RPG's or reaching some sort of middle ground? I guess time will tell.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 17:22.

62. Re: JosephBlowski Feb 1, 2005, 14:45  famished 

"After time, you would just get used to being in that rotten shithole, but at first you'd jump anytime you heard an explosion like a little panzy. So would any one of us here."

You can say that again.

61. Re: No subject Feb 1, 2005, 14:39  famished 

Beamer - Beaner? Are you 2 related?

"You can't have that without it being linear. There's no real way to convey a deep story if the player can miss a great deal. "

This I can agree with totally. Maybe that is why HL2 is ok for someone else to watch over your shoulder as you play? Whereas something like Far Cry or even more open ended role playing games (to me) are more fun and immersive to play, but dead boring for another person to watch.

19. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2005, 16:39  famished 

"I thought one of the patches added a quicksave? "

They did add it but it was never supported like they said shortly after release. It was a "use it at your own risk" feature. From what I have heard from some it broke some levels or scripts depending on where it was used. A lot of others never had problems (that they saw at least), I just didn't want to take the risk.

16. No subject Jan 31, 2005, 15:16  famished 

Generally, although it had some insanely stupid parts, I prefered Far Cry overall.

Half Life 2, though superbly presented, seemed nothing more than an arcade game ported to the pc. Even though it will soon be the other way around. The design is perfectly linear for an arcade shooter. It wouldn't surprise me if they added a countdown for when you reach the ever present physics puzzles. Speaking of which, they were so setup as to be purely unrealistic.

Freedom to make choices (ie. interactivity) is what games are all about. Half Life didn't have this IMO. I think merging the 2 design styles would be incredibly difficult though. If they spend a lot of time getting one area of scripted stuff to look good, you don't even know if the player will see it. With the rising costs of development, this could be too expensive for what it's worth to the player.

I agree on the balance of Half Life though. If Far Cry had quick saves and a better ending (after getting through the terribly hard ending you are presented with a "boss" that you shoot once to trigger the last cutscene) it would have been game of the year.

Boy that was badly written...

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
30. Re: Source vs Doom Jan 31, 2005, 08:11  famished 

Whoever wrote this doesn't know what he is talking about.

99. Re: No subject Jan 29, 2005, 09:53  famished 

I wonder if Joe is like a descendant of Ernst Hiemer or something? Maybe he sat on his lap while being read Der Giftpilz as a boy?

97. Images of the Day Jan 29, 2005, 09:26  famished 

So much for global warming.

News Comments > DRIV3R PC Details
4. Re: No subject Jan 28, 2005, 07:18  famished 

Witha 1.8 out of 10 too. That has to hurt. Hopefully this does devs and publishers some good. Never to repeat it again.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=432509

News Comments > SÖLDNER: Marine Corps (& WINGS) Status
4. Re: Ze game iz dead Jim! Jan 28, 2005, 07:08  famished 

I feel sorry for the developers. I could guarentee that the developers never would have wanted this to go out in the state that it was in. My guess is that the publishers pushed it out the door... and they paid the price for it too. Unfortunately so did the devs.

704 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo