Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2010, 11:38 kanniballl

nin wrote on Aug 9, 2010, 10:55:
The US and the UK are on completely different ends of the spectrum.
# In the UK, they have some great shows... but some of them are simply too short (both in season as well as years).

# In the US, we let our shows last *too* long... to the point of great shows becoming garbage.

That's an excellent point. I'm enjoying the UK version of Life On Mars right now...and if anyone hasn't seen Spaced yet, it's on dvd, and it's a riot.

I recommend "Jekyll"

I loved that show, but it was more of a mini-series. I think it was only 6 episodes.

The last couple of scenes were upsetting because they set it up for a second season but they never made any more.

I might give the UK "Life on Mars" another try, I enjoyed the US remake because I could relate (at least a LITTLE) with the 70's US era. My classic UK pop culture ends at Danger Mouse so I didn't know how well the UK throwback would resonate with me.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2010, 11:36 kanniballl

PHJF wrote on Aug 9, 2010, 11:15:
Entourage is the worst show I've ever seen, the male equivalent of Sex and the City.

I thought so to when I first tried watching it, I made the same comparison (though I only saw a handful of episodes of Sex in the City).

But one lazy afternoon I caught a mini Entourage marathon when nothing else was on and got hooked.

In the end, neither Entourage nor SitC are ground breaking... it's just a bunch of characters sitting around and bullsh*tting, which describes most sitcoms and the like.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2010, 10:53 kanniballl

I'm nor surprised Entourage is winding down. I'll admit, I didn't like the show at first but a mini-marathon got me hooked a couple of years ago. Jeremy Piven was just one of the reasons why I loved the show.

However I'm just not digging this season: either I'm bored with the whole concept or the season just isn't that great.

Besides, they've covered all of the main angles: Vince starting out, Vince getting big, Vince at the top, Vince bottoming out, Vince getting back.

Now they're on Vince going through unspecified personal issues: pills, depression, whatever. There isn't a lot of ground left to cover.

The US and the UK are on completely different ends of the spectrum.
  • In the UK, they have some great shows... but some of them are simply too short (both in season as well as years).

• In the US, we let our shows last *too* long... to the point of great shows becoming garbage.

• I think Entourage just went on too long.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
    1. Legal Jailbreaking: Is Apple worried? Aug 9, 2010, 10:21 kanniballl

Eh, it's legal but it's also legal for Apple to mess up jail broken phones if the user decides to update their OS or firmware. So until a court tells them otherwise, or someone high up at Apple decides to surrender, I'm sure it's going to be a back and forth between:
    - "Jail break" update to work with latest Apple update
    - Apple update, which also happens to break the "jail break"

Some of those apps and enhancements via the jail broken sites are pretty cool, but I wouldn't bother. One person I know had a lot of stability problems with his iPhone after installing a bunch of the cooler things.

He wasn't able to narrow down the instability problem to a specific item so he eventually rolled back to a plain vanilla iPhone.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2010, 10:45.

-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Top 10 RPGs of All Time Aug 9, 2010, 09:05 kanniballl

Fion wrote on Aug 8, 2010, 10:40:
    Who ever wrote this it's awfully clear his RPG experience begins and ends at the Playstation. I mean honestly.. Oblivion? REALLY!

Eh, for what it's worth he has 2 old-school console games on there... ChronoTrigger and some Earth thing I never heard of. The being said even I think there are some better candidates out there.

Personally I've never been THAT into RPG games. I enjoy (and prefer) games that have an RPG element to them (inventory, stats, NPCs, etc) and enjoy light RPG games (like some of the Zelda games) but I haven't played that many pure RPG games.

Then again, with a list based on pure opinion it's hard to find something on which everyone will agree.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
    8. Re: iPod 4th Gen Aug 8, 2010, 12:28 kanniballl

Sepharo wrote on Aug 8, 2010, 02:04:
    Oh forgot we need to specify that now... Just the straight up Motorola Droid (Milestone in Europe I think).

I'm not familiar with the battery life of Droid Incredible or Droid X or Droid 2.

Ah

Thanks

-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: iPod 4th Gen Aug 8, 2010, 01:49 kanniballl

Sepharo wrote on Aug 8, 2010, 01:12:

My battery will usually last me 2.5 days with lots of web browsing, the occasional photo, and incessant time checking and texting.
    I don't think I've ever drained a whole charge in 1 day even with heavy usage.

Which Droid are you using?

I'm reading a lot of reports of people saying that their Incredible only get 1/2 day charge, which worries me. I'm sure a bunch of those are exaggerations, but the number of complaints leads me to believe there's something to it.

While there are extended batteries for the Incredible, it makes a noticeable difference in thickness.

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: iPod 4th Gen Aug 8, 2010, 00:03 kanniballl

I really wish there was a good Android alternative on AT&T, specifically one of the HTCs. The Samsung looks alright, but I hear it's full of AT&T crap-ware.

I'm considering going to Verizon for the HTC Droid Incredible, but I hear its battery life sucks.

I liked the Nexus, but I cannot STAND the trackball... at least the Incredible has a track pad.

There are only 3 apps not currently out for Android that I really like:
    - What's On (awesome tv guide)
    - Chase Bank (official app)
    - AppleTV remote control

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Announced
    24. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 6, 2010, 03:12 kanniballl

PHJF wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 19:11:
    I hope Arkham City is actually, like, a city. I loved Island but I'd like them to flesh out the hub to more than just three little interconnected outdoor areas. Let me explore, dammit!

Eh, I don't want it TOO open-ended.

I tend to grow tired of very large sandbox games like GTA 3/4, Fallout 3, Oblivion, etc. I get really into it at the beginning, but after a while after branching out a little too much I get bored and never get far enough.

So I'm down for a large setting, but I don't want sandbox.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Game Reviews
    3. Re: Game Reviews Aug 2, 2010, 09:19 kanniballl

My brother picked it up the other day, got bored with it, and let me borrow it. It's... alright. I've played better FPS games but this one is still OK.

Maybe a rental for a weekend if you're bored and already beat StarCraft II.

The story is OK, as alright as most FPS games anyway. You're a US soldier investigating an old/abandoned Soviet-era base that's been abandoned for decades but showing energy readings. An EMP takes out your helicopter and both you and your friend are stranded. You're both contacting headquarters for orders on an Evac

VERY early on you jump back in time during another radiation spike and travel back in time... you save someone that was about to die (all-the-while someone is screaming to let him die). You immediately "jump" back and unbeknownst to you or your friend the timeline has changed... meaning no headquarters or Evac.

You spend the game trying to figure out what's going on, finding little messages you left for yourself the countless times you tried to put things right.

The TMD (time manipulator device) is gimicky and does a little more than HL2's gravity gun, but as stated the effects are a little too varied.
    - This enemy ages
    - This enemy slows down
    - This enemy turns into a blind mutant and kills anyone by sound (WTF)
    - This one explodes
    etc

The puzzles are... OK. As stated, a couple were alright but the rest were lame. They had the potential to do more with it.

The time-freeze field is pretty cool, it halts bullets and such making both a great cage for the enemy as well as a great transparent barrier to stop the bullets from striking you.

-Fry, Futurama

62. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2010, 22:25 kanniballl

Oh my god, I'm so sorry Blue.

My condolences.

-Fry, Futurama

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2010, 19:08 kanniballl

Ant wrote on Aug 1, 2010, 15:56:
    There was an absolute whalebeast on my third flight, and (s)he (I couldn't tell) had one seat. To the utter misery of the person next to her him/her/it. Which is really what that whole policy is about. If you're so big that you're going to be making the person next to you miserable, and the flight is full, they're gonna have to do something...

As for SW not flying where you're going, well, that's of course an issue. But they're growing like crazy, so it probably won't be too long before they will fly there.

Creston
    At a glance, I probably qualify as that kind of person you describe.

However I compensate. I take the aisle seat and lean to towards it, or if stuck in the window and practically lay against the wall.

Likewise I keep my arm on my side and don't even use their arm rest. So no part of me "spills" over to there. So while big, I try to make sure I don't encroach on the passenger. I'm sure that would still annoy someone.

Personally, if flying solo I wouldn't even *mind* buying two tickets if that meant for certain that I'd have an empty seat next to me. For US flights I can afford that no problem and would have more luxury than business class.

But I only fly for personal reasons once every-other year. For work I get seated in Business class which completely negates any issue, but I haven't flown for work in about 1.5 years.

The last time I looked SW didn't fly everywhere I wanted out of EWR (Newark), maybe things changed since then. I also really want to give Jet Blue a chance, but their coverage out of EWR is practically non-existent.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2010, 19:13.

-Fry, Futurama

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2010, 13:04 kanniballl

mag wrote on Aug 1, 2010, 10:53:
    Southwest is a pretty limited airline. They don't fly any route I've ever flown before.

From what I've heard from the last few years, SouthWest is also big on the whole "large passengers needing a 2nd seat or staying behind." This was way before the whole Kevin Smith thing.

Being a... very large guy that's a concern for me. Continental has never requested it from me and they go everywhere I want from the Newark airport. So I just use them.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > StarCraft II Overheating Bug
    13. Re: StarCraft II Overheating Bug Jul 30, 2010, 11:19 kanniballl

Paketep wrote on Jul 30, 2010, 11:12:

The game was no doubt rushed

Ka chiiiiiiiiiing

Not every developer is a Pro, toss them some slack.

-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: StarCraft II Overheating Bug Jul 30, 2010, 11:12 kanniballl

OK,

Any idea what the difference between these 2 numbers are?

Specifically, what does "glue" mean in this context?

-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: StarCraft II Overheating Bug Jul 30, 2010, 10:57 kanniballl

Jippy wrote on Jul 30, 2010, 10:52:
    Im guessing this has to do with refresh rate etc.. But can anyone explain wtf this means...

"Screens that are light on detail may make your system overheat if cooling is overall insufficient"

F**king had me stumped rofl

My guess...

If the screen is light on detail (not much going on, no units, etc)

Then the game or video card is going to try to render that scene as quickly as it can.

Meaning you might be getting 120FPS or 200FPS just rendering that moss-covered rock on the screen. And that's overloading / overheating something

Alternatively, if you have a LOT on the screen, your FPS might be something like 30FPS so no overload.

I always set the Vertical Sync option. Would this solve the issue?

Very weird. I'll set that config file option tonight.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2010, 11:09.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Game Reviews
    7. Re: Game Reviews Jul 30, 2010, 09:58 kanniballl

My loading times are fine. However, I installed the Digital-Download version on a Solid State hard drive so I'd *hope* the loading times would be fine.

A co-worker was saying that her big complaint is the load time on her old laptop, but didn't give any specs. Until I started reading this thread I thought maybe it was the laptop.

The game runs quite well, but I have a hefty rig (i7 quad 2.6, ATI HD5770, 4GB ram). It should be noted, SC2 only uses 2 cores, so quad-core users are overkill.

It automatically set up to run at my LCD's max res with just about every option set to highest (though I turned down the shadows). I'm not maxing out my FPS or anything, but it's more than smooth enough for an RTS (heck even for a slow-paced FPS).

I'm only a few missions into the single player campaign so far, and I like what I see. So far my favorite mission has been one that alternates between night and day: at night you're holding back the horde and during the day you're destroying them while they sleep.

The RP element is light, but nice. You can purchase upgrades for your units between missions, these are independent from the old armory/engineering upgrades. Example: Bunkers can house 6 units and increase the range of the occupants. Or FireBat attacks have 40% more AoE coverage.

You can also hire mercenaries and perform science research that buffs your units in a specific way.

So far so good. The cinematics are great, though so far it's mostly talking heads. But they're rendered incredibly and move the story along.

Since I'm probably only 10%-15% through the missions, I can't give it a real final score. But I'd say 8/10 or 9/10.

Then again, if I encountered the save-file loss or poor load times I might give it something lower.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2010, 10:27.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > etc.
    3. The saddest game cancellations of this generation - No Babylon 5 space sim? Jul 30, 2010, 08:39 kanniballl

I recall a huge reaction when the Babylon 5 space combat sim was cancelled. A lot of people were looking forward to that game because:

A) it was Babylon 5, which had a rabid following
    B) it seemed like a great space sim, something very lacking today.

Meanwhile I haven't even *heard* of most of the games mentioned on the list.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
    12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2010, 08:32 kanniballl

My brother brought home some free 3D glasses so I could watch Chuck and whatever else in 3D. I think it was on after the SuperBowl or something.

I did not enjoy it.

Firstly I have a slight astigmatism, so I actually have to focus just-right to make it out. And all of that for the occasional gimmick like an object flying at you.

Now, if it was real honest-to-goodness 3D like holograms and such then I would be psyched. But just the whole 3D glasses bit from the old days is not much of lure.

Things I would love to see / experience before I die but won't.

• Common mass-produced hologram projectors for games/films/whatever

• Truly sensory fooling virtual reality with decent visuals, touch feedback, etc.

• Man on mars

• Affordable civilian trips into space.

• Cool cybernetics

•  
    -Fry, Futurama

11. Re: NewEgg Perfects Wormhole Shipping Jul 29, 2010, 17:09 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jul 29, 2010, 16:48:
    I went with 2 day shipping on Starcraft 2 from Lamestop, and figured that'd mean I'd get it Wed or Thursday. Either through screwup or kindness, they gave upgraded it to overnight at no extra charge and I had it on Tuesday...kinda nice!

I have that beat

I ordered a new set of 4 snow tires + rims, mounted and balanced, this past winter for my car. It's a RWD car so I figured I needed the extra grip.

I ordered it around noon on one day with basic shipping from tire-rack.com.
  • I wasn't in a big hurry and 4 tires+rims is expensive enough already.

• They were delivered the next day, just dropped off at my garage door.

That was a shocker. My brother was asking I was planning on doing with the tires outside. I kept asking "WTF are you talking about?"

It really caught me off guard, I had to inspect them to make sure I didn't get someone else's by mistake, or that they accidentally charged me for overnight. Nope, it was all good.

Just in time for a big snow fall too

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 40.
    < Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo