Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2010, 18:53 kanniballl

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 18:35:
Reikon wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 18:14:

And by the way, there are 3 common methods to write the date. Month/day/year, day/month/year, and year/month/day.

The most worthless one is year/month/day - why put the year first? Most instances you are 99% interested in the month/day, and the year just solidifies what you were looking at....

As a programmer, I use yyyy-mm-dd ALL of the time. Filenames, text file contents, etc. An alphabetical sort becomes a chronologic (or reverse chronologic) sort.

That being said, I tend to date my stuff dd-mon-yyyy. Partially because I spend a good chunk of my time in Oracle and partially because I have to send so many messages/memos to my Swiss co-workers it was just easier to adopt that method then trying to remember when to use what.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews Oct 7, 2010, 14:44 kanniballl

Bard wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 12:53:
I am not confident that all that much has changed in attitude on part of the developer - but hopefully this product will prove me wrong.

Well, in their defense this is the beta product. So you have to take bugs with a grain of salt.

On the other hand, I'm not familiar with their past work. From your post it sounds like they don't make incredibly stable products.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 13:25 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 13:07:
kanniballl wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 12:10:
In the car
That's a different story. When driving I like it to be a certain temperature.

The car is the worst for temperature. I've never owned a car that had an adequate climate control. It's either too hot, too cold or moving rapidly from one to the other. In winter I'm constantly playing with the settings as it gets too hot after a few minutes in the car but left off it becomes freezing in no time.

My old cars were like that.

My 2006 Cadillac works just right. I select the temperature I want and it works. I tend to set it to around 69/70 degrees F.

In the winter, that's more than warm enough to drive without a jacket.

In the summer, it's good enough for even the hot and humid days.

And on the "OMG ITS SO COLD!" mornings I have the seat heater. It tends to get TOO hot if I leave it on too long, but by the time that happens the climate control is about where I want it so I just turn that off.

Sometimes I'll nudge the climate control a little in either direction depending on what I'm wearing (heavy long sleeve vs short sleeve) but for the most part it's great.

But my older cars, yeh they worked like you described. Ice cold or sun hot... except my very first car which only pumped AC out the central vents and heat everywhere else (whether I wanted cold or hot).

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 12:10 kanniballl

At home
Personally I like it chilly in the fall/winter.

If I feel too cold then I can throw on a sweat shirt or use a blanket.

Personally I'd be OK with it being in the 60's in the house, but since I'm not the only one there the heat gets turned on.

In the car
That's a different story. When driving I like it to be a certain temperature.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > More Duke Nukem Forever Footage
9. Re: More Duke Nukem Forever Footage Oct 5, 2010, 12:04 kanniballl

On one hand, the whole 2-weapon limit makes sense. Really, how do you see a person running around with 8 or 9 weapons... especially when you have things like: RPG, chainsaw, various rifles, etc.

On the other hand, if this game is a throw-back to old classic gaming then the numerous weapons fills a nostalgic need.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > More Duke Nukem Forever Footage
8. Re: More Duke Nukem Forever Footage Oct 5, 2010, 12:00 kanniballl

Frijoles wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 11:37:
Ya know, the developers and publishers KNOW their videos are going to hit Youtube. They even said so in the last one. They should just fraps it and release an official version the same day of the demonstration.

Shakey cam requires imagination. The picture quality is lower, so something looking lame or choppy can be assumed to be the recorder. And your mind fills in the gaps about how it might look in person.

Release something official, and the imagination and uncertainty goes away. Something looks choppy / blocky / primitive and it's the game's fault. Even though it might still be in Alpha (or earlier) the forums would still fill with "OMG ITS TEH SUXOR" or "IT LOOKS LIKE THE 1998 ENGINE"

Plus unofficial viral videos probably get watched more than the official ones because some people think it's cool and anti-establishment.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Recycling Gadgets Oct 5, 2010, 08:49 kanniballl

Charlie_Six wrote on Oct 4, 2010, 23:00:
it's easy to recycle my electronics in my area. just walk down to the Goodwill Store, give 'em my stuff, and I'm done. They have some kind of recycling system setup.

Another thing, define recycling. Is re-use considered?

Is giving my older (but still decent) equipment to a friend considered recycling or destruction?

Is donating a PC recycling or destruction?

I guess in the end, those 2 routes could still end with the recipient deciding to trash the thing.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Recycling Gadgets Oct 5, 2010, 08:34 kanniballl

I'd also like to know what percent of Americans recycle *everything* they're supposed to. Not just enough to get away with town-mandated recycling. It's not going to be 100%.

Actually, I find that 39% number to be impressive. Think about it, besides legally mandated actions (pay your taxes) or things needed to live (food shopping), how many activities like this have almost 40% of Americans participating in it? I read somewhere that at the last election, that everyone was jazzed up about, only 58% of Americans voted and that was a huge turnout compared to previous years.

I recycle most of my Electronics. I let them sit around for years in a closet gathering dust. Eventually it becomes an annoyance so I wait until the town's regular electronics recycling drive to drop the stuff off.

Last time I dropped off a couple of old PCs that were at least 10 years old, an old broken joystick, some old Palm Pilot accessories, a rat's nest of cables, etc. I haven't accumulated that much stuff since then.

-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 14:13 kanniballl

My short reviews thus far

Boardwalk Empire - great. Will continue watching.

The Event - eh. Not bad, but not great either. I didn't enjoy the way they handled the flashbacks and it didn't really grab my attention except for the last 2 minutes. And oddly enough, that's NOT the event. I'll give it a shot, but I doubt I'll get into it.

Chuck - started out slow Monday but I started to love it about 7 minutes in. Still not as good as Season 1, but I'll continue watching.

Castle - good solid season opener. I will keep watching.

Hawaii 5-0 - Only got to catch the first bit, but liked what I saw. I'll give it a chance.

Outlaw - not bad. Jimmy Smitts is usually entertaining so I'll give it a shot, but it's nothing special. I could see it falling from favor.

House - sorry to say I'm getting bored with it. I'll finish it up tonight from my DVR but I don't think I'm gonna follow it that closely anymore. Shows really need to end after 3-4 seasons.

Law / Court shows - a bunch are starting up this year, way too many. I'll give Outlaw a chance but I'm gonna pass on the rest.

I'm looking forward to giving a shot to that new show with the guy from The Shield, something like a live action Incredibles. We'll see how that plays out.

-Fry, Futurama

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 12:31 kanniballl

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 12:10:
Ok guys Tech Question time...

We had a LOT of issues with Verizon DSL, especially in the first few months and then when we upgraded to 3 Mbit. Outages, poor performance, spotty connections, etc. We also had issues here and there, but initially it was horrible. And when we upgraded, for whatever reason our problems came back even though we didn't get any new hardware.

- Did you setup the whole DSL equipment, or was it left over from the owners?
- Are you renting the whole place, or 1/2 the house and are thus using their connection?

First I'd call the company and confirm that you really are signed up for the 5Mb connection and close enough to the CO for it. I know it used to be you had to be closer than X miles for any service, and Y miles for the higher-end service for DSL. I know you're only getting 100k now, but you should know if you're getting 14% performance or 2% performance.

Then I'd go through the motions of them remotely testing your connection and having someone drive out. Believe it or not, it can help. During our issues it was almost always something on their end (network) or some bad filters.

If this is something you setup, I'd try resetting the router (assuming you have one), re-enter the username/password, and try again. If you're using client software on your PC then maybe it's having an issue, try buying a router instead.

Otherwise, if this is the home-owner's equipment maybe their modem or router has some setting on it that's messing you up. Like a throttling, blocking, etc feature.

Maybe it's a REAL OLD modem that's on its last legs or cannot handle the 5Mbit connection.

Also, maybe the house you're renting has lousy phone lines or you got a bad DSL-filter.
  • Unplug ALL of the phones and ALL of the DSL-filters in the house

• Plug your DSL modem into different phone jacks in the house, starting at the one closest to the main phone line box

• With DSL there are just too many points of failure, at least back when I had it.
    - Bad filter(s)
    - Bad / noisy line
    - Bad / noisy phone
    - Issues on their network
    - Issues with their phone line: downed branches, bees, neighbors screwing something up, etc.
    - Bad DSL modem
    - Bad DSL router
    - Just a bit too far from CO
    - etc

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2010, 12:47.

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2010, 11:30 kanniballl

Our dog really does not like thunder storms and runs and hides, especially if it's very close.

But he's never tried the bathtub.

Under the desk, under the table, under various things in the basement, etc. When he was young and it was real bad he'd try to dig into the floor.

He seems to like something over his head besides the ceiling, even if it's just him sticking only his head under a bed or under a small table. So the bath tub probably doesn't even register as an option. Plus he also like to be in the vicinity of someone.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine had a couple of dogs that would want to go OUTSIDE during a thunder storm and the dogs were apparently very adamant about it. The best I can think of is the thunder shook his house so it made it louder/scarier than just hanging around outside.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Strange Quote of the Day
    36. Re: Strange Quote of the Day Sep 21, 2010, 10:58 kanniballl

Bhruic wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 09:41:
    Say what you want about who plays what games on what systems, but there's absolutely no way you can make a valid argument that FPSs are better on consoles than they are/were on PCs.

I'm not agreeing with the overall sentiment in the original link, but even your phrase is subjective.
    no way you can make a valid argument that FPSs are better on consoles

CAR_1 might be less prone to failure in the longer run (10+ years)

CAR_2 might have a better-performing engine and handles better at highway speeds but the model tends to have issues after 5 years.

CAR_3 has the highest safety rating of 3 by a large margin, with middle long-term quality and middle performance.

• Ask a person looking for something more reliable and hastle-free for the long haul, they might say CAR_1 is better.

• Ask someone interested in performance and/or driving the autobahn, they might say CAR_2 is better because they plan on replacing in 5-7 years anyway.

• Ask someone with a family, they'll say CAR_3 is better.

• Different folks, different strokes. Price, build-quality, performance, philosophies, conservative/liberal views, brand familiarity, packaging, etc all come into play.

Granted, there's also someone will begin their argument/description with "Well, you can't say one is better than the other" but for brevity most people just say BLA is better.

Though I don't agree with the sentiment, some might say a game is *better* if it:
  • Is played by more people, accessible to more people instead of elite gamers with high-end rigs

• It has fewer bugs, glitches, crashes

• It has a more uniform performance / experience

• Shorter learning curve (joysticks + 10 buttons vs mouse + over 20 buttons)

• No install, tech requirements, etc. Just insert disk.

• Someone else might say a game is *better* if:
  • It can be played on multiple platforms

• More precise control method

• Easy to make custom content (maps, etc)

• Tweakable

• Can get better performance with better kit.

• Slightly cheaper

• This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2010, 11:18.

-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2010, 15:28 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Sep 20, 2010, 15:24:
    ABC also cancelled "Defying Gravity" which is a show I REALLY liked a lot.

I don't know man, I really wanted to like that show but they tried way too hard with the Grey's Anatomy in Space bullshit drama. I guess I wanted more sci-fi and the sci-fi in that show took a back seat to some very poorly written drama in my opinion.

The last couple of unaired episodes actually did go forward with the sci fi element. It made me very angry when the last aired episoded climaxed with them about to learn the the fsck was going on... and then ABC decided not to air anymore. At least once they came out on DVD I bought the missing eps on iTunes (since I refuse to download from torrents).

But yeh, they did try too hard with the the whole Grey's Anatomy IN SPACE (hear Pigs IN SPACE) with a little Lost thrown in for good measure. But I was able to look past it and focus on the parts I liked.

-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2010, 14:49 kanniballl

I actually enjoyed Flash Forward. I don't think it was "OMGTHEBESTSHOWEVER" but it was pretty good.

The premise was decent. They threw a few curve balls. And Lost's "Charlie" played a great character on the show, and got to stretch his acting chops a little.

That being said I'm not surprised it was canceled. ABC also cancelled "Defying Gravity" which is a show I REALLY liked a lot.

I'm looking forward to "The Event" if for no other reason than it has me curious. Between the tears and "making of" clips I have a general idea of what's going on in the premiere, but I imagine it's going to be one of those "you'll find out next season" type of scenarios.

I shaking my head at the "Chuck" commercial about it, Morgan asks "What is the Event" and Chuck flashes and says "it's awesome." BOOOOO The Lost line in the early Chuck episode was funny, but this was lame.

-Fry, Futurama

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2010, 15:27 kanniballl

Longswd wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 15:18:
    Never even heard of Five Guys. How can you be #1 and not have any stores in my part of California?

They have a presence in NJ, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're in NY as well. Even if it's not in California, a NY presence makes it large. Besides, they're probably just taking the *average* score for each place, and not giving any weight to the number of customers the place has.

5 Guys is... alright. I think they're a little better than what I remember other fast food places, but in the end it's the same "feeling" having one from there vs McD or BK.

I don't frequent fast food places often, maybe once or twice per year. I'd rather drive a little further out and get take out from a restaurant, you don't even need to go far to get a decent burger. Then again I do eat a lot of pizza, which some might call fast food.

That being said, home grilled is usually the best... and the next is waiting at a good steak house.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > StarCraft II Authentication Fix Coming
    9. Re: StarCraft II Authentication Fix Coming Sep 9, 2010, 14:52 kanniballl

Tumbler wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 13:01:
    It's been pretty quite quiet regarding this game since launch. I was expecting people to be talking about how much they love it and how much they play it.

From the outside it seems like people are begrudgingly happy with it.
    "Yeah it's a great game...BUT..." That kind of thing.

I enjoyed it a lot... but I'm just a casual single-player gamer now.

I'm sure if I was younger and either in a college dorm or went to LAN parties I'd be enjoying myself quite a bit. But I'm long in the tooth now and can't stand playing online.

I knew that going in, and it's why I'm not a huge gamer anymore. If most of the fun is playing online then there's little incentive for me to play.

It's one of my favorite PC games for the last year or so. And I enjoyed it a lot more than Supreme Commander / C&C4, C&C Red Alert, etc.

-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 7, 2010, 17:38 kanniballl

When my dog was a pup he'd eat or attack bugs that he saw on the ground, but that stopped fairly quickly.

Honestly, I'd probably have a melt-down if I saw that spider in my house. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm afraid of them, and though the picture doesn't really show the size/scale, if it's as big as I'm picturing I'd flip out.

I'd want to kill it, but I'd need to find a medieval gauntlet or welder's glove to even come close to feeling safe about it.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Back to the Future Details
    13. Re: Back to the Future Details Sep 2, 2010, 15:52 kanniballl

bhcompy wrote on Sep 2, 2010, 13:13:
    Ghostbusters really isn't that quotable. All time great adventurish-comedy with very memorable scenes? Yes. Quotable? Not much past Gozer related stuff.

Back to the Future, on the otherhand, is fairly quotable.

Really? Way back I recall seeing a bunch of t-shirt with Ghost Busters quotes.

Maybe it's just me, but off the top of my head I can think of..

Don't mess with me man, I'm a scientist.

Dogs and cats, living together... mass hysteria

Someone saw a cockroach up on twelve.
    That's gotta be some cockroach.
    Bite your head off, man.

I blame myself
    So do I

Get her!

Why worry? Each one of us is carrying an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back.

And that's without going to imdb.

Back to the Future was great (one of my favorites) and I enjoyed the sequels more than Ghost Busters 2.

But I don't recall that many throw-away phrases, except for Biff's goofs and a few catch phrases like "Great Scott" and "heavy."

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2010, 15:58.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Back to the Future Details
    2. Re: Back to the Future Details Sep 2, 2010, 13:06 kanniballl

At first glance it sounds rediculous, it's a fairly old IP and games based on movies are usually an automatic fail.

Then again the recent Ghost Busters game was alright, and it was great hearing the original cast again. That IP is probably even older.

As far as which one is a bigger part of our film culture, I don't know. Ghost Busters wins out in terms of best quotes, but both are popular and memorable.

-Fry, Futurama

15. Re: Big Dreams, Slim Odds: The Lottery Economy Aug 30, 2010, 16:09 kanniballl

PHJF wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 16:01:
    Who cares about all those shitty shows, Sunny is finally coming back shortly.

Defintely.

I was a real late comer to the show. I heard about it and thought someone said Danny Davito was on it but I don't watch that station often so I never bothered.

I caught some rerun one day and I was hooked. I think my first episode was when the gang was being held hostage and the bar, and Frank (Danny Davito) went "Die Hard" for the episode. The slow motion "climax" towards the end almost made me spit out my drink.

It's a great comedy, nothing cerebral but way better than most of the other sitcoms out there.

Still, Better off Ted was my favorite. Poor show

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 38.
    < Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo