Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Superman Jan 31, 2011, 08:55 kanniballl

I find Zack Snyder's comment a little funny:
In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time, and I am honored to be a part of his return to the big screen. I

So, are they just pretending "Superman Returns" didn't happen?

Though I guess "return to the big screen" can be interpreted as "making a comeback with a series of films, for the first time in 20-some years."

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Peter Jackson Surgery Delays Jan 28, 2011, 13:48 kanniballl

Blue wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 11:59:
mch wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 11:53:
kanniballl wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 11:50:

Archer is probably my favorite TV show of the 2000s. I've probably watched 2010's first season about 8 times already. I'm not exaggerating.

Probably The Wire or Breaking Bad for me

All three of those are probably in my top 10. But don't forget Deadwood and Mad Men.

The Wire is up there on mine.

Sadly I haven't seen Breaking Bad, Deadwood, or even much of Mad Men even though a bunch of people keep recommending I watch it.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

5. Re: Peter Jackson Surgery Delays Jan 28, 2011, 11:50 kanniballl

mch wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 11:25:
Missed Archer last night, so I can't wait to get home and watch the season's first episode. Great show.

Going to have Archer, Magicka and Dead Space 2 competing for my time tonight though!

Archer is probably my favorite TV show of the 2000s. I've probably watched 2010's first season about 8 times already. I'm not exaggerating.

I caught the Season 2 premiere. It was great, though time will only tell if they'll keep up with Season 1. However I was missing Kreiger and Cheryl/Carrol/Crytal.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Jan 28, 2011, 11:31 kanniballl

El Pit wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 00:18:
So, to play DC Universe Online, I need to turn my PC into a console? No, thanks.

You don't need to. Some of the posters on the forums say they're fine with the keyboard/mouse and like it more (for some reason). I guess left-click and right-click are the equivalent of the X and Y buttons. And the numbers on the keyboard represent that whole trigger/combo thing.

I'm fine with using a game pad on a PC. I would NOT want to for a FPS or RTS, but some games are fine.

Again, I'm not saying "OMG DCUO IS TEH WIN!"

I'm enjoying it a fair amount, though it's not one of my favorite games.

-Fry, Futurama

5. Re: Game Reviews Jan 27, 2011, 22:52 kanniballl

If you have something like the XBox 360 controller (which is similar to the PS3 controller) then it plays the same as the PS3. It mapped all of my XBox 360 controller automatically to the PS3 setup.
__Y
X___B
__A

Since I first learned how to play the game on the PS3 the learning curve was non-existant.

Hold down the left main trigger, then click the buttons A/B/X/Y for powers 1-4. Hold down the right main trigger, click A/B/X/Y for powers 5-6 and your 2 items.

WithOUT your triggers held...

X = melee skill
Y = ranged skill
A = jump, hold for flight
B = is interact
Small right-trigger = block.

etc

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2011, 11:33.

-Fry, Futurama

2. Re: 88%? DC Universe Online.... Jan 27, 2011, 14:43 kanniballl

That's why everyone recommends a gamepad for it. It plays quite well with one. Personally I love using the XBox 360 gamepad for it, it's one of my favorite pads out there.

One of the review sites last week also gave the game high marks, but I forget if it was for PC or PS3. Granted, some of the other ones have been mediocre.

I *like* it. I don't think it's god's gift or anything, and has a lot of short-comings. But I'm enjoying it.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DC Universe Online SOE's "Fastest Selling Game Ever"
20. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's "Fastest Selling Game Ever" Jan 24, 2011, 13:26 kanniballl

The way I see it is this...

If you're looking for a traditional (or semi-traditional) MMORPG with super heroes like City of Heroes or even Champions online... this isn't it.

If you're just looking for a MMO action game or hack-n-slash with super heroes (and DC ones at that) then it's fun.

Leveling is perhaps a bit too fast, but from what I've reading talking to some people online the end-game content is quite good. Much more expansive than CoH or CO. Meanwhile, CO had semi-fast leveling and NO end-game content.

Do I see myself playing for years and years and years? No

But I'm enjoying myself for now.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DC Universe Online SOE's "Fastest Selling Game Ever"
11. Re: DC Universe Online SOE's Jan 24, 2011, 11:37 kanniballl

JohnBirshire wrote on Jan 24, 2011, 11:28:
Completely unrelated question: Is naming like Champions, where you always get the name you want? Or is it like WoW, where everything you can think of is already taken?

Like Wow and City of Heroes: first-come, first-serve. At least for each server.

The game's still new enough though that not everything is taken. However I was surprised at which of mine were already taken, and it's not like they were dictionary words either.

I wonder how they're going to treat people that decide not to resubscribe. Will their names be held forever, or for X months (like CoH).

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DC Universe Online Patched
27. Re: DC Universe Online Patched Jan 24, 2011, 09:28 kanniballl

Theo wrote on Jan 24, 2011, 06:48:
nothing wrong with console ports if they are GOOD console ports; elitism's not cool when you cant understand the value of a good game because of the originating platform.

bad ports are bad, good ports are good. Simple.

Batman was one of the better games last year/last 2 years, and that was direct console port.

Agreed 100%

Though I am slowly playing more and more casual console games, I still hold onto my PC roots.

But even back when I was a die-hard PC gamer, I accepted that some games (such as platformers) were fun with a gamepad which is why I picked up a USB XBox 360 controller. Though this is the largest game I've decided to play with a gamepad.

Arkham was a great game, so was the Riddick game. Both play well on a controller and can make things a bit more casual. Other things like the Microsoft Prince of Persia games were also fun with their controllers.

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2011, 09:53.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DC Universe Online Patched
6. Re: DC Universe Online Patched Jan 23, 2011, 18:19 kanniballl

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I'm having more fun right now than I was at the beginning of Champions Online.

I won't bother posting a review here since I'm heading out for the night. But it's fun, more actiony than CoH or CO but still has the RPG element going on.

However, if you go with the PC version GET A GAMEPAD. Personally I like the XBox360 controller. It makes all of the difference in the world.

As to some people that have complained about customization, yeh it's nowhere near Champions Online in that area. But it's not as bad as some people make it out. You start out being able to select from only a sub-section of the costume pieces. As you collect items you can then switch (for free) your various pieces. And you can choose any "style" you've earned with your character, regaurdless of what style is assigned to your equipped armor/costume piece.

-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2011, 15:56 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Jan 19, 2011, 14:41:
There are just way too many jagoffs driving SUVs and trucks in bad weather like it's the freakin' Indy. They figure just because thye have 4x4 that somehow the laws of physics

I'm about to join the ranks of the Crossover drivers, aka small SUV owner. A few years ago I would've laughed at the thought, but I decided to get it.

I already drive extra careful with my real-wheel-drive car when the weather is cruddy, and that's not gonna change with my Edge. It may have AWD but I know what that truly means.

Too many people think AWD or 4WD means "Invincible" when it means anything but. Face it, the most you should expect out of an AWD vehicle is that it's harder to get stuck in the snow while parked in your driveway. Anything else is just gravy.

-Fry, Futurama

5. Re: true story Jan 19, 2011, 13:38 kanniballl

I'm not surprised at Disney, they're big fans of creating scarcity by removing/hiding their product.

The whole: "Act soon because by June this film is going back in the Disney vault until we decide we need more money" bit is a little annoying.

So I'm not surprised they're doing something sneaky with Tron until their magic crystal ball says to release it for maximum profit.

Granted I don't watch the classic Disney films anymore, though every now and then I'll sit through a few minutes of a Cable-airing for some of my childhood songs.

Except for some recent films like Finding Nemo or Wall-E. I still temporarily DVR them from time to time when I see them on the schedule.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2011, 13:43.

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2011, 11:16 kanniballl

I've mentioned a few times... my horrid long commute in the snow from a few years ago, seeing a LOT of accidents occur due to idiots. Nothing exotic like the other poster that said the guy almost did a nose-dive into traffic.

Last winter was different though. It was a snowy morning but it stopped around 8AM. There was only 1-2" of snow on the ground but underneath was slick.

I saw the immediate after-effect of a guy jamming on the brakes, going over the curb, and down a steep grassy/snow hill. At least 7 feet.

Fortunately he looked alright, his car was upright (but had one a 180) and was standing outside the car on the phone. Fortunately he missed landing in someone's yard but he was definitely stuck back there.

It was a strange visual. And I knew it just happened because it was still snowing and his brake-marks were still completely clean.

Meanwhile, I knew enough ahead of time to be going under the speed limit since the roads were slick under the snow.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2011, 12:26.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DC Universe Online Interview
5. Re: DC Universe Online Interview Jan 14, 2011, 14:27 kanniballl

I've barely gotten into the game yet, I've been too busy after work this week. I was hoping to play a lot on Wednesday but we only got 4-5 inches and I had to work.

It's lame / sad that PS3 players can't play with/against PC players... if for no other reason that the 2 platforms combined would keep the player-count high enough in a year to justify playing (and running the servers).

Instead, cutting them in half will speed up the recursive problem with MMOGs.
- Fewer people on servers
- Fewer people on servers cause less support, less reason to run servers
- Less support causes even fewer people on servers
- Go to step 1

Eventually it will just die out.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2011, 14:41.

-Fry, Futurama

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2011, 15:44 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Jan 13, 2011, 15:24:
I've never been a big fan of The Duke but the guy did some classic flicks that shouldn't be touched like True Grit.

If you're going to go see something on the big screen go see Tron. True Grit you can easily watch when it comes to dvd/ppv but Tron is worth seeing on the big screen for the visuals alone.

Tron sequel was the first 3D film I'd seen in theaters (besides the 10-minute things in Disney world as a kid).

I'd rather just watch it regularly. In my opinion there were only a handful of scenes that really benefit from the 3D. Plus I have a slight astigmatism so it takes me a little effort to get the 3D effect.

But I agree, it's full of incredible graphics and scenes that probably translate better in a high quality big screen (though a good home theater might be good enough). Admittedly the story is weak in a few little areas but it was still alright.

-Fry, Futurama

16. Re: Flowchart: What gaming platform is right for you? Jan 13, 2011, 14:49 kanniballl

Beamer wrote on Jan 13, 2011, 14:36:
Plus, maybe I'm missing something but I don't get the XBox = racist thing on the one from OotB. Was there a controversial game or something?

Remember how back in the day you'd join a CS server and it had some guy that just kept screaming racist crap until someone paid attention to him?
Remember how, when voice chat became part of the game, you realized that the guy doing that hadn't been through puberty yet?

All those guys now play Halo and MW on XBL.
Muting them is easy, but they'll be in a good chunk of the public servers of any popular FPS game.

Ah, that explains it.

I don't play on XBox Live much, and when I do I usually turn off the voice-chat thing so I can't hear anyone. Either because of insensitive comments, CONSTANT talking, or someone deciding to put the head-piece near a stereo so the match is swamped with "My Heart Will Go On" or something.

I didn't think of that when I read it, thought it was about a move MS made or a game that was released.

-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: Flowchart: What gaming platform is right for you? Jan 13, 2011, 14:20 kanniballl

Fion wrote on Jan 13, 2011, 13:22:
I like this one better.

http://www.hardestlevel.com/702315904/what-videogame-system-should-i-own-a-flowchart/

Yeh, funny and simple.

Plus, maybe I'm missing something but I don't get the XBox = racist thing on the one from OotB. Was there a controversial game or something?

-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: V Jan 13, 2011, 13:53 kanniballl

Pankin wrote on Jan 13, 2011, 13:40:
I was really hoping they gave V the Battlestar Galactica treatment, you know? Update it with adult-level drama, make it appropriately dark-themed, etc. But no. It didn't happen. It's still an 80s show.

A shame.

Well, the 1980s mini-series was quite DARK already... especially compared to Battlestar Galactica. Making it darker darker (for today's times) would probably force it to a 10PM timeslot or into the realm of cable TV. Meanwhile the original BSG was a family-friendly inoffensive show a few shades darker than the Barny the purple dinosaur.

That all being said, yeh it's not that special and is just a cliche us-vs-them series. In fact, I believe the original show went deeper than the remake since it delved into the whole Nazi thing and how quickly and happily America (and the rest of the world) fell into the routine of all of "that."

Honestly, if not for the fact that so many sci-fi vets were on the show I'd give up on it. So far, Season 2 is a dissapointment.

I'll give it a shot, perhaps they'll step up their game. After all, we're not swimming in sci-fi TV shows at the moment, especially with most of SyFy's shows on hiatus.

-Fry, Futurama

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2011, 10:09 kanniballl

Here in my section of NJ we only got about 5 or 6 inches; a far cry of the 7-12 they were originally predicting between Tuesday night + Wednesday morning (since my town usually gets the high-end of the scale).

So, no snow day for me.

Oh well, I'm still working from home. Though instead of benefitting from a delayed opening (10AM) that everyone else enjoyed I had to log on at the normal time to attend meetings.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 2011, 10:37.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DC Universe Online Trailer
20. Re: DC Universe Online Trailer Jan 12, 2011, 09:17 kanniballl

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 12, 2011, 05:47:
I'm prolly not going in today as I'm pretty sure the town that I work for will be closed, so I'll hopefully have some time to put into it today to get a better feel. Pretty much have the same first impressions as you do though.

Sigh

I was hoping to have a full-on snow day as well. Unfortunately it's looking like it's just a delayed opening, which doesn't mean anything for me because my boss setup teleconferences for this morning at normal business hours that I have to dial into.

So I gain nothing today

Had the snow continued like they were saying on Monday, with getting an additional couple of inches in the morning through 12-Noon I would've been in the clear.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 2011, 09:50.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo