Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve: Steam Good for Retail
17. Re: Valve: Steam Good for Retail May 10, 2011, 11:08 kanniballl

Creston wrote on May 10, 2011, 10:55:
Btw, what is all this "shipping" you people keep talking about?

/Amazon Prime FTW.
//Buys everything on Amazon now.

Creston

Well it still has the $75 annual fee, unless they introduced some way around that. I don't buy that much each year, so $75 has to be factored in.

Meanwhile, there is still the delay due to the delivery.

But I have to admit, Amazon Prime is a game changer for me. A bunch of people I know who had similar spending habits have started using Prime and getting their stuff online. My other opinions still hold true, but Prime does negate the cost a little.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Valve: Steam Good for Retail May 10, 2011, 10:51 kanniballl

Arithon wrote on May 10, 2011, 10:44:
I'd say more like "Bad retail is good for Steam".
Steam prices are generally high for new titles, but their "Sale weekends" are excellent.
The thing that makes me consider Steam, is the lack of need for DVD's and patching.

The consipiracy between distributors and retailers to make PC games worthless makes them the engineers of the past slowdown in PC game sales. High prices, stupid DRM, no value for money, no resale options because of DRM, has killed the second-hand market for PC games, so gamers (in multiplatform households) buy the console versions instead and resell to get their money back.

If DRM was removed from all PC games sold at retail and high-street retailers started taking PC games in part exchange, the PC games market would grow rapidly on the high-street.

Steam and similar services have caused PC gaming to flourish despite the retailers and distributors best efforts to kill it off.

Back in the 90s I had more avenues for buying PC games in Brick n Mortar stores. CompUSA, ComputerCity, EBGames, places "like" BestBuy, etc. They all carried loads of PC games

Now my Brick / Mortar choices for PC games are: BestBuy and EBGames/GameStop. And EB/GameStop's PC selection is usually humorously small, such as one 3' shelf.

So for PC games I tend to do Digital, BestBuy, or online ordering.

Other things though (books, *some* electronics, etc) I favor Brick n Mortar.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: Valve: Steam Good for Retail May 10, 2011, 10:40 kanniballl

Tom wrote on May 10, 2011, 10:34:
"People who use Amazon still go to bookstores."

Yeah, to browse, then I buy it from Amazon. Brick and mortar has too much overhead to compete with online operations.

I started to use Brick n Mortar stores more frequently a few years ago. Especially for books.

If widget is not available locally or is substantially cheaper (more than enough to offset the shipping) then I'll order it online.

But if I'm only saving a little online and a store within 30 minutes has the item, I'll just pick it up in the store. The convenience is just too much to pass up, plus sometimes after "shipping" your savings isn't exactly great online.

• No waiting for delivery, or paying the delivery fee.

• Returns become a little easier / faster.

• I can preview the item (TV, book, etc) and bring it home right there

• Depending on the store, I'm helping my local economy a little

• Books are the big one. I can read the first chapter at the store in a semi-decent setting, and if I like it just bring it home and continue reading it 30 minutes later. Great for a weekend, instead of waiting to get the book in the middle of the week insteadl.

Unless it's a book that's being released soon, like the next novel in a series. In which case I can usually get it faster ordering it online. But the Bookstore near me is often pretty good about getting new released on their proper date.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2011, 10:47.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    1. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2011, 10:16 kanniballl

What's the latest on the squirrels? Does your latest specialty-pole do something to prevent them from taking over the feeder?  
    -Fry, Futurama

11. Idiana slamming CGI May 9, 2011, 15:15 kanniballl

I kind of agree with the sentiment: I miss old-school special effects.

Some of them still look heller impressive and don't break your focus (oh that monster really isn't there). Explosions (with real fire), monsters, stunts, etc.

I'm more impressed with older stuff where they used good prosthetics, latex, glycerin, and strategic camera shots to make it look more menacing that it really was. Maybe your imagination had to work a little, but that was the best part.

Now it's all digital.

I'm not saying I don't like CGI... but I'm nostalgic for some of the old methods.

That all being said, Harrison Ford is blasting CGI, when as far as I can tell he's about to appear in a movie with heavy CGI?

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
    4. Re: 25 ways IT will morph in 25 years May 9, 2011, 15:05 kanniballl

Also I can't help but think of Star Trek IV after reading that list.

#4 = Talking to your computer
    #5 = Technology will be transparent

Just reading those 2 immediately zapped:

Hello computer
    and
    Transparent aluminum

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
    3. Re: 25 ways IT will morph in 25 years May 9, 2011, 15:03 kanniballl

Halo wrote on May 9, 2011, 14:30:
    My job didn't exit 25 years ago, I wonder what will happen in that aspect of IT?

Man I don't even know how to imagine what it's going to be like.

For everything else in life, 25 years hasn't changed much. The cars don't look that different, the towns look about the same, etc.

But IT... wow. 25 years ago was probably Cobol and/or mainframes.

Today: web development (C#, Java), 3D FPS games with insane graphics, etc. A mobile phone with constant access to the internet letting read news as it occurs, look, constant access to everything all of the time, lookup by photo, etc. Meanwhile my mid-range PC would stomp on anything from that era (save maybe WOPR).

25 years from now? No flippin' idea. Unless we hit a wall (like Moore's law) between now and then it could get insane.

This comment was edited on May 9, 2011, 15:09.

-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Was it alright to cut it down? May 9, 2011, 14:55 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on May 9, 2011, 13:34:
    kanniballl wrote on May 9, 2011, 11:29:
    Meanwhile, I know we had some people on our block that were big-time nature people. They apparently raised a big stink when a neighbor decided to get rid of 2 bushes on his property. I'm not saying 6' trees, but like 3' or 4' bushes up against his house.

I can't imagine there being a law which would allow them to prevent the removal of a 4' bush against someone else's home.

Oh there wasn't a law about the bushes, but the neighbors still wanted to stop him. Someone said they were considering protests and/or chaining themselves but I don't know if that was an exaggeration.

In any case they were quite upset about it. Something about them being special or whatever.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Valve on Episodes
    12. Re: Valve on Episodes May 9, 2011, 14:52 kanniballl

Thanks Gabe,

That's all well and good, but what about Half-Life? At least release something that finishes up some of the plot line that left off at the previous climax.

Disappearing into an explosion or the G-Man's realm is one thing. I would even accept the fact if the game ended right there.

But leaving it off where they did, they really should give us something. And then let Half-Life 4 (or whatever) pick up after that for a final show-down against the bad guys.

-Fry, Futurama

6. Was it alright to cut it down? May 9, 2011, 11:29 kanniballl

I know in my town cutting down trees is a real pain. I know you have to get a permit, and I *think* you also need someone to come out and see if they'll let you.

Meanwhile, I know we had some people on our block that were big-time nature people. They apparently raised a big stink when a neighbor decided to get rid of 2 bushes on his property. I'm not saying 6' trees, but like 3' or 4' bushes up against his house.

I think they said they would've tried to stop him.

-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Great April Fools Joke May 9, 2011, 08:23 kanniballl

Dev wrote on May 8, 2011, 13:04:
    Thats far from the stupidest thing I've seen out of them. And yes, they ARE that stupid. There's tons of stories of how news organizations fall for random fake blogs or report The Onion stories as real news. Or falsely report fake deaths. Tons of times I read a story and it has false or mistaken stuff in it that could be corrected with a 10 second google.
    I can honestly understand falling for a fake story or blog posting more than the video above. It's horrible when they do it, but still.

But, on live TV, to fall for an April Fool's joke that your iPhone and iPad can (after an app-install) let you smell or taste something virtually... and have her trying it on camera.

Wow.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
    3. Re: Sunday Safety Dance May 8, 2011, 23:01 kanniballl

ldonyo wrote on May 8, 2011, 17:30:
    Did Sony also find some way to magically erase all of the copies of their data that were made by others from the data they finally took down online? Are they sure that there is no other site hosting said data? A hollow gesture by a desperate company.

"Dude, you can't take something off the Internet.. that's like trying to take pee out of a swimming pool.
    - NewsRadio

I haven't been following the story THAT closely, but the data actually wound up on some site on the Internet? Or was it some black-hats/criminals/etc were holding onto them and planning to trade/user them?

You can't just "delete" something from the Internet. Mirrors, cache, people copying it... once it's there it's there for good.

I called in my credit cards and reported them stolen so I could get new numbers. I'm checking my Equifax.

It's annoying, but it's not the first time I've had to deal with this BS. The last time was my life insurance.

This comment was edited on May 8, 2011, 23:20.

-Fry, Futurama

7. Great April Fools Joke May 7, 2011, 21:52 kanniballl

Wow. Just Wow.

Please let that be fake.

Please don't let a flippin' news caster be THAT flippin' stupid. I'm not saying they have to be geniuses but if they can fall for that how the flip are we supposed to trust they aren't just repeating some guy's fake blog.

Wow

-Fry, Futurama

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2011, 10:03 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on May 6, 2011, 08:04:
    The Half Elf wrote on May 5, 2011, 20:24:
    Ok I don't get the WoW link in the Images, am I missing something or what?
    I don't know what it is you could be missing -- if you wear the correct items it's possible to make your female & male humans to look similar to Wonder Woman and Superman. What do you think you are seeing?

I think the Half Elf *MIGHT* be referring to the other images. Thinking that they're all part of a collection of familiar faces found within WoW instead of just that first linked image which is Superman and Wonder Woman.

Then again if you're not that into comics, it's not THAT obvious. Superman is more popular and a good chunk of him is covered up by Wonder Woman's arm and light. Meanwhile Wonder Woman isn't that popular / iconic and can easily be over-looked.

This comment was edited on May 6, 2011, 10:46.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
    1. Price Cut could double Wii Sales May 5, 2011, 15:12 kanniballl

I occasionaly watch "The Apprentice" way way back (not since) and one episode really bugged me.

The teams had to sell something: pick the product, the price, advertise it, and sell it. I think it was on a home shopping show. It was some nick-nack or every-day gadget for a small amount.

The losers lost by like something insanely small, like less than a dollar.

Trump tore into them that they should've raised the price another $0.05 or something because they priced it at 9.95 (or some other common price). He went on about how they were stupid and should've raise the price.

But if he's such a big business man, he should know what price effects sales. Both from the obvious standpoint of "can I afford it" but also from psychological standpoints. Only 9.95

Fine they would've made more for unit, but they would've had reduced sales. Breaking into the next 10x multiplier makes people change their mind.

Find they lost, but tearing into them for not raising the price to something uncommon was silly.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
    4. Re: Morning Metaverse May 5, 2011, 13:39 kanniballl

Prez wrote on May 5, 2011, 12:15:
    I would love it if FIOS was available in my area. As it is, given how remote my area is, I'm lucky I have even Comcast available.

We were one of the early Fios neighborhoods, we've had it for a while now.

One of the things I'm looking for in a new place is if it's also in a Fios neighborhood.

My only complaints with Fios was:

A) They signal was very anti-Tivo friendly. The picture would garble a lot on Tivo but not on DVR. Fios DVRs at launch had HORRID UI so I went Tivo. The DVR is nice now.

B) I'd hoped when they installed to do it a specific way (Coax from box for TV, Network cable from box to network/internet). But they didn't for us. They were helpful though and did run the coax where/how we wanted but didn't do the piece at the beginning.

C) Towards release we sometimes had really garbled signal (blocks/etc) for stretches, usually around primetime TV (8PM-11PM). So that stunk. But they eventually fixed it.

D) My mom had some billing issues. She returned some cable cards and boxes a after a year but they keep re-appearing on her bill. So every few months she has to call them and rectify it.

It sounds like a lot, but is only a drop in the bucket compared to our Comcast issues.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Sony's DCUO Make Good Plan
    18. Re: Sony's DCUO Make Good Plan May 5, 2011, 13:22 kanniballl

Prez wrote on May 5, 2011, 11:41:
    I took a similar route. I don't use credit; I use a bank card. I have a special account that is only used for online transactions; I only transfer money to it when I'm going to make a purchase.

Like you said, nothing short of abstaining from any online transactions whatsoever will keep you 100% safe, but it can't hurt to take some extra steps to mitigate the risk as much as possible.

Eh, my Life Insurance company got nailed a couple of years ago. They apparently got access to the real important identification info too (Social, DoB, etc).

I had never done anything with them online: sent them paper checks, faxed my signature, etc. Yet they still got nailed, fortunately Equifax and the others haven't noticed anything out-of-the-ordinary.

And abstaining at this point is useless, since SOE's issue showed that they had kept records back from 2007. So stopping now means your stuff is still floating around like pee in a swimming pool.

The earlier gift-card or travel-card idea works about as well as I'd trust. The Bank Card's an OK idea but it's one step closer to me than I'd like.

This comment was edited on May 5, 2011, 13:45.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Shrinkage Trailer
    4. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Shrinkage Trailer May 5, 2011, 12:04 kanniballl

Wildone wrote on May 5, 2011, 11:37:
    I can see where 10+ years of dev went. Nowhere..

I imagine that it wasn't the full 10+ years, they probably threw out a lot of stuff as time went on. Heck they probably had at least 1 complete restart-from-scratch.

Do you really think they've been holding onto and using the code they wrote back when this was in the Quake 1 / Quake 2 era?

New engine, graphics, new algorithms, etc. The models alone probably had to be redone many times as the tech allowed for more advanced models with higher poly-counts.

That all being said, the trailers don't really make up for the X years of hype the game had.

It's like if your parents told you since you were 8 that they had something really special planned for your 18th birthday... and you got psyched up about it.

But they didn't decide on what to do until you were 16 where they felt they would just buy you a $1,000 USD used car on your 18th.

Sure it was a nice gift, but was hardly worth the 10 years of thinking about it. In your mind you were probably thinking of Carribean cruise or somehow renting a Corvette to drive around a controlled environment for a day or something big. All due to the hype alone.

This comment was edited on May 5, 2011, 15:00.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Bad Day at Black Rock
    6. Re: Bad Day at Black Rock May 5, 2011, 11:59 kanniballl

HoSpanky wrote on May 5, 2011, 11:49:
    Split Second was an *ok* game. in single player the AI was heavily rubberbanded, so you would lose a race if you didn't save up and use an attack RIGHT at the end, as they other cars would WITHOUT FAIL scoot past you across the finish line at 30 mph faster than their cars are capable of.

I hate that in racing games.

I completely blow the competition away to the point that I'll be 1/2 lap ahead. And then somehow the AI will drive at super-sonic speeds threw buildings and catch up.

Granted I never played Split/Second and never had it to be as bad as HoSpanky states on my others. But just the AI cheating in general really irks me.

-Fry, Futurama

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2011, 11:49 kanniballl

I'm NOT a doctor / scientist / etc.

But the autism article summary sounds like a valid argument to me: it might not be increasing as much as it is just being caught more often.

Go back far enough and even clear diseases and conditions today were probably mis-diagnosed in the past.

Is it increasing? Perhaps

But since diagnosing autism isn't as objective as, say, a broken bone then increase be due to better observation / diagnosis.

This comment was edited on May 5, 2011, 11:55.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 33.
    < Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo