Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 18, 2011, 13:37 kanniballl

Tumbler wrote on May 18, 2011, 12:21:
This is going to be an ongoing issue for Sony. I never believed they could "fix" this quickly and I suspect that this isn't a simple "fix" scenario. They are going to need to invest heavily in better infrastructure that can log and track intruders. PSN always felt thrown together and what we've seen suggests that is the case. Good Luck Sony. Maybe next year will be "The year of the PS3"

To be fair, it wasn't something like an unpatched service or open port.

It was pure stupidity.

• To verify your identity and reset your password: supply us with your PSN ID and your birthday

• Umm, weren't those two of the pieces of information that were stolen? And sitting in various lists on the Internet?

• Face palm

•  
    "Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama
    Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
    1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 18, 2011, 08:44 kanniballl

I'm not sure how I feel about the BMW thing.

I'm all for a little bit of assistance here and there, but a system that will throw your brakes is a bit much.

On my new car I have a blind-spot detector, if there's a car to my side that's not right-up-front with me a little light goes on.

I don't rely on it too much, but it's a nice little feature to have I guess just in case I ever make the mistake of changing lanes without a full glance.

But from personal experience it's not perfect, I occasionally get false-positives and I think once it said it was clear when it looked like it wasn't perfectly clear in my side-view-mirror.

Meanwhile devices like this can cause more harm than good. If a less-than-average driver starts using these devices, they might rely on them too much instead of old-fashion logic+looking. And since technology like this is never perfect, the person might crash into something.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
    8. Re: Evening Metaverse May 18, 2011, 08:38 kanniballl

zirik wrote on May 18, 2011, 08:18:
    only time will tell what tiered internet service will do to netflix and other streaming service. my friend who has verizon FIOS gets terrible streaming with netflix. at the same time hulu and youtube videos run fine. i think throttling is already being implemented by internet providers.

That's strange, I've had Verizon FIOS for years now since we were an early neighborhood.

I don't have a problem with it, and the quality comes in quite high.

I watch a lot, but maybe once every 1-2 weeks I'll encounter a hiccup like the quality of a stream jacking way down. But after either restarting my browser or my PC it goes back to normal. Sometimes just selecting a different movie would fix it.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    28. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2011, 20:20 kanniballl

PHJF wrote on May 17, 2011, 19:08:
    I tried to watch Dollhouse but can't make it five minutes without exploding into a rage characterized by repeated, brutal attempts to smash Eliza Dushku's face in. She's like Hayden Christensen, except with a vagina.

Personally I think the other actives stole the show: Victor and Sierra. The guy who played Victor in particular did a great job with the various roles. Some of the other supporting cast (like Topher) were also great.

Eliza wasn't bad, but wasn't incredibly great either.

-Fry, Futurama

20. Re: Fox Debuts Terra Nova Full May 17, 2011, 13:48 kanniballl

Verno wrote on May 17, 2011, 13:40:
    mag wrote on May 17, 2011, 13:32:
    Why would anyone even bother to start watching a story-arc-heavy sci-fi show on Fox? I give it six episodes before it's axed.

I don't know, Fringe has been on for awhile now and the better part of 2 seasons have pretty arc heavy. If you can last a season on Fox then you tend to last awhile. Fox is pretty harsh with their new shows in general though for sure.

Fox tried to learn their lesson in terms of Sci Fi.

• They gave Dollhouse a second season even though the ratings were mediocre at best, probably because they didn't want another FireFly / Whedon cluster-bomb. I loved Dollhouse but if the ratings were as low as I read then I'm not surprised

• They gave Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles a second season.

• Fox is still notorious for cancelling shows early, but they're probably hoping for another "Fringe" event (pun). A sci fi show delivered by a big name director/writer.

Between Firefly and Family Guy, I'm sure the execs try to take more than 3 seconds before deciding to cancel a show... but it's probably still only 5 seconds now.

-Fry, Futurama

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2011, 16:18 kanniballl

There are a few sci fi shows coming out, though nothing from the StarGate or StarTrek franchises and I don't think anything in space.

There's that new TNT series "Falling Skies" coming out soon, with aliens invading Earth and the humans trying to fight back. Noah Wyle stars, I guess it's kind of a long drawn-out War of the Worlds type of thing.

There's that new Steven Spielberg series "Terra Nova" about people from out future setting up a colony in the past (Dinosaur era).

"Eureka" and "Warehouse 13" are coming back soon.

A couple of super-hero shows are coming up: "Alphas" and "Three Inches" that are similar to Heroes / X-Men / the series of Painkiller Jain / etc. If you consider them sci fi.

But have no fear, SyFy still has Face Off, Marcel's Quantum Kitchen, and loads of wrestling. What's not to li... wait WTF?

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > SOE MMOGs Back Online
    13. Re: SOE MMOGs Back Online May 16, 2011, 15:45 kanniballl

-EDIT-

Please ignore, I misread Darks's comment.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2011, 15:51.

-Fry, Futurama

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2011, 14:19 kanniballl

Prez wrote on May 16, 2011, 12:05:
    Syfy defends canceling 'Stargate Universe'.

I hate that this show was canceled, and yet I never watched a single episode. Why? Because I'm tired of getting into shows only to see them canceled without any closure. I was devastated when Firefly was canceled; it killed me to say goodbye to Cameron in "Terminator". I never watched a single episode of BSG until the entire 4-year run was completed! Network TV is the worst way to get your entertainment it seems.

I have taken a chance and started watching 'Dexter' even though the story is still going on (in its 4th season I think). I'm really liking it so far, but I fully expect now that I'm into it the show will be unceremoniously canned.

To be fair, Stargate Universe and Battlestar Galactica weren't Network TV. They were cable TV, a different animal. And Dexter is premium cable.

Other than that technicality, I agree with your overall sentiment. It's sometimes worth waiting a couple of seasons before you get into a show via Netflix or reruns. But even then you wind up with a failed finale.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > SOE MMOGs Back Online
    1. Re: SOE MMOGs Back Online May 16, 2011, 11:12 kanniballl

Yeh, DC Universe Online was back up the other evening.

After going cold turkey for a while I don't know if I'm going to get back into it. I think I'll wait until the next content-update, though that will probably be something small and from a holiday.

-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 15, 2011, 23:36 kanniballl

Alamar wrote on May 15, 2011, 23:22:
    kanniballl wrote on May 15, 2011, 19:35:
    I kind of feel bad for the reporter. I wonder if he broke something so they couldn't continue at all?

On the other hand, sometimes reporters need to learn the lesson of not interfering with the story.

I feel sorry for the fool that told him to step back, but didn't tell him WHERE to stand...

-Alamar

Well, I think "don't stand in the pool of water" is kind of a given.

It's not like he didn't know there was a large pool of water and a device he shouldn't bump into or stand on. Knowing he was close, he should've looked down.

It looks like there was a little of a language barrier, though my impression was the guy said "good" or something when he got to a certain spot and started the machine. But then the reporter kept walking backwards.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2011, 08:18.

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 15, 2011, 21:58 kanniballl

Dang that motor cycle driver was luck. It looks like he'd stopped towards the end by the time everything wound up in front of him.

Those racers are jerks too. I've only seen racers once or twice, 2 guys zipping through traffic @ 100+ between cars after eachother.

Flying around at those speeds, any mis-step is going to cause something massive.

-Fry, Futurama

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 15, 2011, 19:35 kanniballl

I kind of feel bad for the reporter. I wonder if he broke something so they couldn't continue at all?

On the other hand, sometimes reporters need to learn the lesson of not interfering with the story.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
    1. Re: Morning Consolidation May 13, 2011, 11:27 kanniballl

The DCUO rewards are a little weak: some helmets and 30 Marks of Distinction.

The cheapest T2 armor is 40 marks for a "back" piece (cape, wings, etc). The next is 45 (gloves, belt, boots).

So Lifers, with their extra 10, can afford a back piece. Whoopee.

Sure, 30 or 40 mmarks will probably put some people "over the top" to buy something if they already started gathering them. But still, they should've made it 45 for regular and 55 for lifers.

Meanwhile the masks aren't that great, the "Batman" one reminds me too much of "NiteOwl" from the film of the Watchmen

This comment was edited on May 13, 2011, 11:52.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > AvP Sequel Downplayed
    23. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 13, 2011, 08:32 kanniballl

The last one I recall playing was Aliens vs Predator 2 on the PC. it was a while ago.

I recall enjoying the single-player campaign. They did a good job at capturing the spooky/scary feeling at times... more-so if you played in a room with the lights off. Some of the human missions were down-right creepy towards the beginning.

The story wasn't horrid either, while I'm typically not a fan of toggling between different factions I thought it did an alright job at telling the story.

I don't remember that much about gameplay though; just bits and pieces like the net gun, some of the alien moves/attacks, and the visual modes. Oh and the Smart Gun.

-Fry, Futurama

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2011, 12:07 kanniballl

I've been fairly luck with unsafe drivers lately... until Monday.

I was driving to work, and an older man (of a specific nationality) was on his cellphone. He saw me, I know that because he looked at me before going.

My car hand't moved, I was in traffic on the long/main road of a T-intersection. He approached the T with cell-phone in hand, looked at me, slowed down, and then GAVE IT GAS. Not "oh I hit the wrong pedal" acceleration but steady and deliberate.

There was no space in front / behind / to the side of me. I just happened to be watching him just before he started to accelerate so I had time to lay on the horn to give him enough time to stop.

Very close to my new car.

Kicker was, he started cursing at me. Stop sign, cellphone, my car sitting there un-moved, and still he blamed me.

Normally I try not to block anything (even driveways) but had little choice this the guy in front of me stopped short.

This comment was edited on May 11, 2011, 12:19.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > RIFT Free Trial
    18. Re: RIFT Free Trial May 11, 2011, 10:48 kanniballl

PropheT wrote on May 11, 2011, 01:33:
    The shadows aren't particularly noticeable, so it's not much of a sacrifice for the extra speed...I'm not even sure it's necessary anymore.

I almost always turn off shadows in just about every game I play (where possible).

The performance boost tends to be nice, and I'll be honest... I don't really notice them.

I'd rather have the game run slightly smoother, or turn up another setting in its place.

-Fry, Futurama

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2011, 08:46 kanniballl

Creston wrote on May 10, 2011, 14:33:
    Can squirrels climb a completely smooth steel pole? Because I don't think they can.

I was wondering the same thing.

Perhaps the pole needs to be wide enough so the squirrel can't "hug" the thing and climb that way... assuming they have enough upper-arm strength to "hug" hard enough to overcome the slick metal.

But as you said trees cause a problem: they'll perform various acrobatics to get to things so it would need to be far enough away that such an attempt would be deadly.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Valve: Steam Good for Retail
    36. Re: Valve: Steam Good for Retail May 10, 2011, 15:20 kanniballl

Wikidd wrote on May 10, 2011, 14:45:
    descender wrote on May 10, 2011, 10:21:
    Probably because they aren't subscriptions.

You've never actually read the Steam Subscriber Agreement, have you?

I'll be super nice and save you some effort:
    1. REGISTRATION AND ACTIVATION.

Steam is an online service ("Steam") offered by Valve Corporation ("Valve").

You become a subscriber of Steam ("Subscriber") by installing the Steam client software and completing the Steam registration. Additionally, as a Subscriber you may obtain access to certain services, software and content ("Subscriptions") available to Subscribers. Conclusion of this contract between Valve and you takes place as soon as you access the Steam service after accepting this Agreement.
    [emphasis added]

Well, the optimist can take that to mean games don't fall under subscriber-based software or services. Like maybe they are in a class entirely different from games (like chat stuff or challenge/bade/collections).

But I can't think of any services or software outside of games, and my examples above don't really work. So it probably means games.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Valve: Steam Good for Retail
    34. Re: Valve: Steam Good for Retail May 10, 2011, 14:40 kanniballl

Creston wrote on May 10, 2011, 14:25:

You can't do that, Ray. :p

You can't add the 20 bucks in credit to the game you got it with, then ALSO add the 10 bucks of credit you got from a previous game. Either you see it as a discount on your current game, or as a discount on your next game. Otherwise you're counting it twice.

Haha!

Creston

Yeh, you have to be consistent.

If you're counting rebate from the previous game towards this game... then you have to count the rebate from this game to the next game.

Either that, or you forgot about the Crysis rebate and never factored it to anything and treated it like found money for this game.

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2011, 11:22 kanniballl

Rockn-Roll wrote on May 10, 2011, 11:15:
    Repeat after me, "There is no such thing as a squirrel-proof bird feeder." I've pencilled into my bird book sightings of the common bushy-tailed flightless bird. It's so common that the other birds just ignore them unless the squirrels start hopping around.

Oh I know, and Blue appears to know as well.

But it's still fun reading about his efforts in the war against squirrels, or (another way) how he's aiding in the evolution / advancement of squirrel brains.

Sometimes I get the impression we'll read how they've learned fractal geometry to solve the latest-and-gratest "squirrel proof" feeders.

Millennium from now, when Squirrels are the dominant species, they'll have entire museums dedicated to man's "training devices" And they'll probably have a little plaque dedicated to "The Blue One"

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 32.
    < Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo