Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 17:58 kanniballl

Also, apparently it's only a quasi-prequel. I thought I recall seeing a quote from Ridley that they weren't going with a full-on prequel that completely ties in. More conceptual, almost like a reboot.

Also, from what I heard... there isn't that much that can't be explained with just a little imagination to close the gaps between A and B

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 14:59 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 13:34:
SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 12:19:
I rarely, if ever, here the argument where people asked for more to be cut out from a source material in order to make the movie shorter.
Yes, I would agree with you on that. However, I have seen certainly many dozens, possibly 100s of lengthened versions of various films. "Director's Cuts", "Unrated" versions, "Extended" versions -- and I'd have to say the overall effect is that I have great respect for the art of film editing. It is extremely rare for these longer versions to be better. Much more often, they are worse -- sometimes much worse.

Well, define source material.

True, I can't think of any novel->film adaptations where I wished they cut something out. Then again I rarely see a great novel adaptation that stands out in memory.

But there HAVE been movies where I wish they hadn't added as much and thus removed bits entirely.
  • Spider-man 3 - Too many villains, seemed to drag on. I could have done without as much Osborn
  • Dark Knight - Seemed a bit long, while I liked TwoFace the movie could have done without him
  • etc

• Honestly, Jackson could do a very loyal film in his 2.5hour format or whatever... and could DEFINITELY do a loyal treatment in 2 x 2.5hour fims .

But 3 films? Really?

The book is great, but it isn't THAT long.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 14:53 kanniballl

Bodolza wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 12:53:
    Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 11:16:
    Turning "The Hobbit" into a trilogy is silly at best.

They're pulling from the Appendices and Silmarillion as well. There's plenty of material there. Some of those stories could be movies in themselves.

Like Agent, I also heard that they were NOT pulling from there. But I may be mistaken. I also heard a rumor that they're going to add some new scenes so that Liv Tyler's Arwen appears (and some other characters).

So... even though the Hobbit is a good book and probably one of the first long books you read as a child...

Splitting it into 3 movies is a bit much unless they're adding a whole lot of content. Like a 30-minute flashback showing the dragon take over the mountain. Or each movie starts with a 30-minute bit taking place at the end of the trilogy with Bilbo narrating the events (or someone reading his journal).

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
    12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 23:45 kanniballl

I'm not apologizing for them, though the bit in the article talking about uploading your VOICE to Apple servers... how is that shocking. Google did that since DAY ONE with their Android phones. For a while now, places have been handling the voice->text translation on a server and just sending you back the text.

The bit with the names/contacts... it gets a little fuzzy. On one hand, it makes SOME sense. Voice recognition is bad enough with first names, and with last names it's a cluster ####. My last name is the (phonetic) combination of 3 english words so voice->text often records it as WORD WORD WORD instead of LastName. Train it enough, a FIRST LASTNAME said together will know to write it that way instead FIRST WORD WORD WORD.

That being said... the obvious privacy concerns are there. It's possible they'll have the world's largest "who-knows-who" tree available. And who knows what that means.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
    29. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 10:07 kanniballl

I find it best to have a decent desktop, and a basic/cheap laptop

If I go with the desktop-replacement laptop: my desk becomes a mess. More cables on the desk, the laptop taking up desk real-estate. Having to unplug everything when I want to leave. It runs hot. If I want a true replacement, it's costly for something slower than a desktop. Etc

So I tend to like a solid desktop to do most of my work: database work, development, gaming, etc. Something fast with big screens (or multi screens).

Then have a basic laptop on-hand for when I need to do something mobile (which isn't THAT often). And to be honest, a LOT of my casual mobile stuff gets taken care of by my iPad. So I don't even use my laptop that much anymore.

If you're just a casual PC user then a laptop is probably fine by itself. But if you spend a lot of your time at your desk and need something hefty, and need to use your desk for REAL work, then the desktop is usually a better way to go.

-

-Fry, Futurama

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2012, 10:40 kanniballl

Hoop wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 16:54:
    Two years with no caffeine in November.
    Could not start the day without a coffee & drank on average seven cups a day.
    Blue you inspired me to qive it a go as back then you posted a lot of how you had quit & the positive results you were experiencing.
    I raise my lemon & ginger tea to you, cheers.
    Coffee

Define "no caffeine"

For example:
  • Chocolate has small doses of caffeine.
  • Some teas have caffeine
  • Some medications have caffeine

• Either way: whether you're just cutting back on Coffee+Tea+Chocolate, OR really really removing all/most caffeine from your diet... POWER TO YOU

I cut out all tea + coffee + soda some years back, and went a REALLY long time without. Then one morning had 2 of those cans of cold Esspresso from Starbucks and had major palpitations. Since then I have maybe 1-2 sodas per week just to keep my system used to it.

So... if you're going to fall off the wagon... don't do what I did (hitting the esspresso). That sucked and was scary.

-

-Fry, Futurama

25. Re: Hobbit Jul 26, 2012, 11:46 kanniballl

OK, here's what puzzles me.

In the previous "Rings" trilogy, they used trickery for the whole size-thing. Like a table/bench was actually a really weird shape so from the camera's perspective it LOOKED like a tall guy was sitting next to a hobbit... when it fact it was at an angle and just "shaped" to cancel out the shrinkage-at-a-distant so Frodo was sitting further from the camera. So instead of a rectangle bench... more like a triangle/rhombus thing. And if you looked at it from a slightly different angle, it looked really weird.

Or two people standing in a field and talking together... one is actually stand closer to the camera than the other, and they're both staring at nothing.

So... wouldn't stuff like that wreak HAVOC with a 3D camera? As I imagine they're still doing the think where they're filming through two lenses Xinches apart. Wouldn't all of that trickery look weird if you were a few inches (or whatever) from where you were supposed to be?

-Fry, Futurama

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 15:29 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 15:12:
    Speaking of MCD, I didn't see it publicized much, but he had a heart attack a few weeks ago and is still recovering. Sounds like he was lucky, in that his girlfriend found him and performed CPR.

Yeh, it was on CNN's front page for a while under the little "Entertainment" portlet/section. And it made the TV news by me.

But all-in-all, not a lot of mention.

-Fry, Futurama

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 14:57 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 14:21:
    Normally a stern warning will get teens to stop dicking around with the cellphones too, although that just may be my Barry White voice ;)

Dude, some little preppy guy was on the phone a couple years ago. Some huge guy that looked like Michael Clarke Duncan's older + bigger + meaner brother approached him to stop. Seriously, a BIG dude who either played Pro Football or was secretly "Power Man / Luke Cage" from Marvel Comics did NOT look happy even though he was trying to be polite-yet-intimidating.

And they guy started giving him hell saying he would talk if he wanted to. Of course, the resulting argument was making more noise than his phone call. The guy looked like he could snap the talker in two, and yet he STILL refused and continued to talk more later. And no, the talker wasn't with friends or a girl and trying to show off... he was just a jerk.

Some people.

-Fry, Futurama

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 14:48 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 14:21:
    Man it sounds like you guys have really shitty theaters in your area. Ours has a pretty strict policy about disruptive behavior and cellphones, I've seen them toss people over stuff that barely registered in my periphery. I'd suggest seeing if theres a drive-in theater around, those are usually a pretty good compromise. Normally a stern warning will get teens to stop dicking around with the cellphones too, although that just may be my Barry White voice

I agree that seeing a comedy is great in a theater, it's fun to laugh with a crowd.

For the rest though, in MY experience:

- NJ has 1 active drive-in, and it's over 2hours from where I live. So THAT'S out. The rest all closed down.

- Staff or management NEVER intervenes. I've even seen people leave to complain to them only to come back and say they won't do anything. This is at 3 theaters in 3 completely different towns.

- I imagine if they did intervene with a crying baby, the parents would go ballistic about "unfair treatment of new mothers" and blablabla. Don't get me wrong: if a mother has to breast-feed or something in public then they should be able to (and NO, I don't find it hot) I get annoyed at people that freak out and ask the woman to leave, said people should "grow up." But a screaming baby in a theater for a rated R movie? At late night? Seriously?

- People messing with the cellphones in an ANNOYING manner... mostly adults. Kids might use them, but they're smart enough to turn the sound off so MAYBE I see a glow in my peripheral vision. Chances are they're filming it anyway. Adults (like 25-35yo), let it ring, answer the phone, talk on the phone, etc. They also get VERY hostile when people approach to ask them to be quiet.

- People talking too much... the elderly, and certain young-kids. BUT it's gotten better.

- I'm happy to say I haven't seen a stupid laser pointer in maybe 3-5 years.

- Kicking my seat doesn't happen much anymore, save for someone bumping it on the way to the restroom.

-

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2012, 14:57.

-Fry, Futurama

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 14:00 kanniballl

Topevoli wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 13:48:
    I personally don't get the hype about this movie.. The last batman movie was good, not great, but I think Heath Ledger's acting propelled it to another level.. Had he not died I doubt it would have been half as popular as it turned out to be.

So what is the hook for this movie? I don't really see a reason to see if before its out on DVD/Bluray unless your a die hard movie goer.

As for "the hook" for this movie... it's the last of a 3-part-trilogy. The next Batman movie is going to be a reboot. So, it would be nice to see how this trilogy ends. Plus: Anne Hatheway in a cat suit... can't complain about seeing that sooner than later

I wasn't a huge fan of the last movie either... it was GOOD but not my favorite.

As much drama as the whole Dent / TwoFace thing added, it just seemed to drag the movie on an unnecessary 20-30 minutes at the end. The Joker should have been enough and they could have added a final scene where Harvey goes mad when he/we see his face for the first time. The bits prior to that were good though (prior to the accident).

I'm not a huge fan of theaters anymore either and would rather watch on my TV + BluRay/iTunes. In case you haven't guessed from my posts since Friday... babies crying in the theater is a real anger-trigger for me. Add in the sick people, talkers, cellphones, etc and I REALLY have to want to see that movie NOW to visit the theater.

That being said, I've noticed people handling the cellphone/talking/seat-kicking thing a lot better. The last time talking was a problem for me was "Inception" and that was due to an old couple. And cellphones have been surprisingly better over the last year.

But people fighting back the Flu or something and deciding they want to infect 100+ people because they can't wait a week to see a movie... I sill experience that.

-

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2012, 14:14.

-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 11:44 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 11:33:
    Yakubs wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 11:13:
    That's bullshit. An excuse that studio suits would use to cover their asses.

You honestly don't think there's even a possibility it might have an impact? Don't get me wrong, I think there's several reasons (long runtime, people wanting to avoid massive crowds, etc) but to say it's just total bullshit from studio execs seems like a stretch.

I agree, there's a solid chance this factored into things. I'm not saying a majority of people decided to skip it to be safe... but you figure if even 10% of families decided to wait... that's probably a big difference right there (since each family might be 2-4 people). Add another another x% of couples and singles that decided to skip, and it all adds up.

Throw in the various talking heads saying "fears of copycats are abound" and maybe some people decide to stay in the that weekend. Throw in the fact that some people took the news hard, making it difficult to enjoy a movie with so much death behind it and thus decided to skip.

As for saying the Exec's are "all heart" because they're donating to the families even though it's not their fault... 10-to-1 says that's mostly for PR. It makes them look good in general, while taking the heat off of them if people decide to blame them (violent film, part of the problem, etc).

-

-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 11:36 kanniballl

Fortunately, I haven't at least been HEARING on the TV people blaming video games. Then again maybe "he who shall not be named" is blasting them online, but I've been too busy to look for news about it.

Interestingly enough, I was hearing conspiracy theories on the radio about how this ties into the whole UN thing going on and that the psycho was really just a patsy... but even though the guy was serious I was just laughing out loud on the drive home.

• The gun control thing is obviously #1 on every loud-mouth's list

• I've heard some references to violent TV + Films, as well as referencing Batman film directly.

• Blaming the parents came up for a bit

• And the non-stop footage of them trying to disarm the guy's apartment and get inside was almost on constantly during THAT period

• Still, among it all... I'm STILL annoyed at the parents bringing their 3month old kid to the midnight premiere of one of the most anticipated films of the summer.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Penny Arcade Adventures New Episode & Free DLC Plans
    9. Re: Penny Arcade Adventures New Episode & Free DLC Plans Jul 24, 2012, 10:23 kanniballl

I played the first one and was amused. I might not have enjoyed it as much had I not been a big Penny Arcade fan since I'm not the biggest fan of jRPG. But even still, the story and jokes were fun and didn't require you to be into PA to laugh or whatever.

I haven't played the 2nd or 3rd ones yet though. I might try them at some point in the future though.

-

-Fry, Futurama

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 15:43 kanniballl

jimnms wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 15:13:
    I made it through the sale storm with little damage done to my bank account. Most of the sales were games I already had, had no interest in or I knew I wouldn't play any time soon and would go on sale again later (possibly cheaper).

I was pretty close to buying Driver: San Francisco. But I bailed at the last minute. My machine is clean (for now) and didn't want any Ubi crud-ware on there.

Plus, I don't know how much the Youtube videos "sold me" on the car-switching mechanic. As a bunch of people were saying "Quantum Leap + Driver/GTA"

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
    12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 15:37 kanniballl

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 15:14:
    Quite frankly we have enough power these days that developers can pull off pretty much anything they want in terms of game design. Oh sure VISUALS can always be improved, but in terms of scale I can't see much more being made possible without going into absurd levels of detail.

Meh. I can see them making larger maps that take advantage of caching to RAM or whatever better. Even if "better" == more RAM to play with.

People complain a fair amount about either "rail" maps or "too long a load time" Advanced enough rigs would move alone the curve nicer.

But really, beyond visuals + maps + load time I can't see game design improving that much with new hardware. Unless better game-AI is only really suffering because we haven't hit enough CPU speed (but I doubt that). Or something really insane comes along like Kinect+VR

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
    7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 14:36 kanniballl

I can at least partially understand some of Ubi's complaint.

Honestly, if a real cool IP is coming out and something I'm incredibly interested in... I WOULD like it to at least look good. I know GFX aren't everything... but I'd prefer some nicer graphics than not. Looking back at my past PC gaming, such an interesting IP release might get me to upgrade my rig.

Heck, even just a continuation of an IP that's been sitting on the shelf for a while like DeusEx prior to the 3rd game. I wanted it to look good so I picked up it on PC.

That being said: I'm NOT going to skip an interesting IP just because the XBox360 is 7 years old. If it's interesting, I'll consider and/or buy it.

If it's interesting, or the reviews or solid, it's not going to matter.

If it's not interesting... and IF I bought the console near release (which is rare) then I might buy an extra "trash" game just so I have more than 1 game to play on it. But I usually buy consoles a year after release.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
    4. Comcast Prepping 305 Mbps Tier Jul 21, 2012, 11:52 kanniballl

Seriously? Verizon FIOS announces and releases 300Mbps, so Comcast announces 305 Mbps ?

I imagine so they can prevent Verizon from saying they're the fastest.

Then again, Verizon would STILL be the fastest because FIOS often delivers the speeds promised AND higher, while Comcast rarely hits their mark.

Queue Verizon announce 310Mpbs Tier in 3...2...

-

-Fry, Futurama

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2012, 11:31 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 21, 2012, 08:25:
    I'm not saying it will or should go this way legally, but on some level the shooter is clearly insane. No same person purposely goes to a movie and kills a dozen people and wounds dozens more. Given that, I don't see how it can be used properly as an example for or against anything.

One can make that argument about ANY killer then... there's obviously something "wrong" with a person that would kill someone for little-to-no reason. Or pedophiles for that matter. Or really, just about any violent crime that wasn't to "get away" with something else (robbery, etc). Having a mental issue or abnormal behavior doesn't immediately give you the legal insanity defense.

I believe the measuring stick is: if the person knew what was going on, and understood the immediate consequences of his actions (dead people, injured people, etc), and was based in reality (not hallucinating / thinking he was shooting Zombies / etc).

• If he honestly thought he was saving the world from Pod People an was doing the world a favor... then he'd skate on insanity.
  • If he thought it was a message from god, then he could probably skate.
  • If he was mentally handicapped and was convinced "this would make him cool" then he'd skate, but the people that forced his hand wouldn't.

• If it just wanted to kill them to make sure "The Avengers" stayed the number 1 summer flick... then as demented as that is, I don't think it's grounds for insanity.

If he just wanted to make a name for himself as a large-count spree killer, then it wouldn't be grounds.

I'm not saying he WAS legally sane... just that doing something the public would think is crazy doesn't necessarily mean the suspect is legally insane.

-

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2012, 11:48.

-Fry, Futurama

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2012, 15:42 kanniballl

Jivaro wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 15:30:
    The 3 month old infant was checked into the hospital because of the tear gas inhalation, an obvious and intelligent precautionary measure.

As to what a 3 month infant was doing in a movie theater, I guess some new parents don't have a clue what loud noise does to the developing ear drum. Seeing as every comment section on every article in the country is pointing it out, my guess is they do now. Thankfully, the baby was not shot so they get to make proper use of that info.

Yeh, I figured the injuries were either (A) gas-related or (B) from the parents fleeing with him. Like bruises / cuts as they bumped into people running for their lives. Heck, tear gas really messes up people... an infant... dang.

But ignoring today's travesty...

A) You're going to damage your kid's ears

B) Exposing him to lord knows what kind of viruses and such. Seriously, a packed theater is horrible... people coughing / sneezing / etc. Not to mention the layer of food on the ground attracting bacteria.

C) You're going to opening night (or close to it) for a film that people are eager to see + hear. Only now they have to hear a crying baby. Something that psychologists say is one of the most jarring noises we experience... it's like a primal level of annoyance. So, good job ruining the experience for 100+ people.

D) From a psychological level, I'd rather not take my chances by bringing my kid to watch a dark movie with lots of violence. Sure, it probably does nothing, but at that young an age I wouldn't want to risk it. Adolescent... maybe, less-than-six-months... heck no.

Just bad parenting if you ask me. You had a kid, that means you probably won't be able to do everything you used to as a bachelor or as some newly-weds.

That being said, hopefully it's nothing serious and the kid can have a semi-decent life.

-

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2012, 15:48.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 4.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo