Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > RIFT Sells Nearly 1 Million
26. Re: RIFT Sells Nearly 1 Million Jun 8, 2011, 17:00 kanniballl

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 16:15:
I'd still be playing a ton of Rift had it not been for our guild merging with another guild, in what was a hostile takeover really.

Sorry, I haven't played rift and my MMO experience is limited to CoH, CO, and DCUO...

How exactly is there a hostile take-over of a guild?

Did they sneak some people into your rosters, wipe out your shared bank, and say "join us if you ever want to see that gold again?" Did they surround you with superior numbers and threaten to loot your corpses? Did they bribe so many of your members to switch to their's that your guild shrank too much?

I'm half-serious, though my suggestions are in jest. How exactly does a hostile guild takeover happen?

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Consoles Lead Skyrim Development
45. Re: Consoles Lead Skyrim Development Jun 8, 2011, 16:56 kanniballl

Blue wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 16:50:
So this shouldn't be reported? Or should the headline be: "Voldemort Leads Skyrim Development"?

I agree with Blue: multi-platform stuff should be reported. After all, PCs are typically one of the platforms.

The stance of "multi-plat == no report" is like a medical Cancer journal not talking about the HPV virus's links to cancer, because it's an STD. Umm yeh, but it's also about cancer.

I'll be honest, I don't even care if some console-exclusive stuff is reported... though I'd prefer only the bigger console stuff (like the big franchise stuff). I'm not particularly elitist as I game on both PC and console, but I guess around here that makes me a pariah.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2011, 14:55 kanniballl

RoboNerd wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 14:49:
The only photo I saw showed the cuttlefish mimicing a physical object in the tank next to him. The mimic a picture claim is mentioned in the article, but I say with out a picture it didn't happen.

Click the "Next" links you'll see more pics

One of them moves his arms to align with the stripes on the wall. I guess that is as close to "mimicking a picture" as it comes in the article, I was expecting them to to mimic pictures... like of Mickey Mouse of something.

The rest were trying to blend in with the environment. Most of them just showed they're resourceful but one or two were impressive.

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2011, 12:01 kanniballl

Yeh, from Jersey so in the same boat as Blue.

For those in the South-West US that think we're whining, recall that we have to take humidity into account (though nothing Florida-level). That's the only thing I like about CA, dry Heat for the win. (Not that I think the average Blues reader would mock us).

I asked the family to make sure they take precautions for the dog since he's home alone and the A/C may/may-not be doing anything during the day by default yet.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2011, 12:35.

-Fry, Futurama

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2011, 23:54 kanniballl

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 23:14:
So driving 300 miles didn't really save you any money did it?......

Those are the breaks. I consider my time precious and would rather not waste it driving around.

However I'm lucky, I work maybe 1 mile away from a BestBuy which is usually well stocked. So I can pick something up during lunch or after work without an issue.

For other places, I try to batch things together like bundle errands together so I only have to make 1 trip to some place 10-15 miles out.

I tend to use the BestBuy (or something similar) if:
- The item is large
- The item has a high chance of return
- I want something now instead of a few days
- The price difference isn't that much lower than Amazon/NewEgg/etc

-Fry, Futurama

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2011, 16:44 kanniballl

Beamer wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 16:25:
I separate thoughts with spaces. Simply hitting enter once is not enough because it often looks like the same paragraph. The multiples are for very separate thoughts or, alternatively, edits.

I'm the same way, whether it's emails at work or posting online.

1 blank line between paragraphs, since it's easier to read. I know someone that has no blank lines, after some point it's a pain to read a mixture of technical info and business rules when it's a 1+ page paragraph.

Then an extra blank line on top of that if I'm jumping to another topic. And in cases where there's a sig I'll pad some blank lines at the end.

On a side note, congrats Blue on the purchase.

-

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 2011, 16:50.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Star Trek E3 Trailer
9. Re: Star Trek E3 Trailer Jun 7, 2011, 15:03 kanniballl

OK, I'll admit... the classic Trek had a lot of fist fights and the occasional phaser battles. And while most of Star Trek TNG's action was with ships. The the rest had varying degrees of action (DS9, Voyager, Enterprise).

And the recent Star Trek reboot had a lot of action.

But even the recent Star Trek reboot wasn't "Doom... with phasers" or "Army of Two... with phasers."

At least with Elite Force you were some poor schmuck aboard Voyager, and I could by it.

But since when did Kirk and Spock run around like a couple of Space Marines. "

Spock: Jim, I believe the vernacular is "deez nutz in your mouth, beyotch"
Kirk: Pound it
<fist bump>

Really?

-

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 2011, 15:10.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Dungeon Siege III Demo
17. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 7, 2011, 12:11 kanniballl

Darks wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 11:58:

Krovven,

you about as idiotic as they come, so youíre telling me itís ok to turn your pc into a console just so you can play split screen games? Seriously take a hammer and destroy your pc, you would do it more justice then basterdizing it. If you live for nothing more then split screen they you bought the wrong hardware.

Why not?

While I've never played a split-screen game on the PC + Couch setup...

Playing on the couch with with a gamepad is fun, relaxing, and casual. I sit at a computer desk 40 hours a week and welcome doing something else if possible.

Usually a good PC can pump out HD-ratio 720 or 1080 content smoother and better than the console. I imagine it can also do split-screen with fewer quality/performance sacrifices.

You might not get the precision of a mouse+keyboard with the gamepad, but it's not too bad. And if you're playing against someone else using the same setup then there's no loss.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 7, 2011, 12:03 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 12:01:
I don't want a multitude of PS3 ports, I have a PS3 for that. Buying first gen handhelds is a suckers bet - the second gen always comes with drastically increased battery life, reduced prices and an actual library of games to play.

And yet the original Gameboy is my favorite hand-held unit... ever. Even with its monochrome-green screen.

But I agree, 1st gen for anything (especially handheld) is not a great bet.

-Fry, Futurama

4. Fox News / Tina Fey Jun 7, 2011, 10:45 kanniballl

Wow. Just wow.

Part of me hopes that's a fake, not that I actually like or trust Fox news but I'd hope they weren't so stupid.

I mean, did the art guy just do an image Google for Palin and pick one?

-Fry, Futurama

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2011, 10:32 kanniballl

I picked up an LG 23" the other day from Best Buy. It was on sale but still slightly more expensive than New Egg.

But my brother and one of my friends had an issue with a busted monitor coming in from New Egg and Amazon respectively. Since then I try to buy that kind of stuff in a store because it's less hassle to return.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Michael J. Fox Goes Back to Back to the Future
13. Re: Michael J. Fox Goes Back to Back to the Future Jun 6, 2011, 08:35 kanniballl

Wolfen wrote on Jun 5, 2011, 19:35:

Well. Back is the verb, future is the subject. Future is a point of reference for the person/s making the statement "Back to the Future". So... we can say, their ultimate goal is to go back to the future. Which, in the end of the trilogy was the outcome. They all went back to the future.

Odd / confusing titles are eye-catching. They make a casual reader at least want to read the first 2 sentences to figure out what's going on.

Things like puns, or things that look like spelling mistakes but are actually playing on a person's name sounding like a word, etc.

A nice WTF moment get's someone interest quicker than a semi-interesting story.

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2011, 09:44.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Star Trek Announced
8. Re: Star Trek Announced Jun 3, 2011, 13:32 kanniballl

Wildone wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:06:
the movie was fun, looked amazing but ultimately so shallow, I can barely watch it again. Nero had no fucking real reason to go on his rampage because what, his wife died? Get over it son..

Well the novelization (or maybe the comic) expanded on it more. Besides the fact that the entire Romulan civ got wiped out... there was other stuff going on.

In the end, the Romulan leadership betrayed their people and he felt betrayed by Spock.

-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: JJ Abrams Jun 1, 2011, 15:36 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 15:22:
I'm looking forward to it, but my bet (based on the trademark secrecy) is it's JJ's version of ET, especially with Spielberg on board.

The one thing that caught my attention was the re-use of the old Cocoon theme for one of the trailers.

I'm "curious" about it, but I'll wait until the reviews are in.

The trailers are a little vagu, so I don't know if it's a kid-type movie like ET or something darker. The mention of missing (presumed dead) dogs leads me to believe it's a little darker than ET. But I've only seen one-and-a-half trailers so maybe that's why I'm confused.

-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: JJ Abrams Jun 1, 2011, 15:33 kanniballl

Blue wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 15:01:

I use the NSFW tag for links that have audible bad language. Your work filter is to block things they don't want you reading, which I don't think is the same intent. There's nothing NSFW about the Abrams article, but Nerve has their own sexy personals section and other content that probably earn the site a spot on that filter.

Thanks blue, it was my suspicion.

I guess my place changed something recently. It used to be I never had a problem with any of the daily postings (without an NSFW tag).

Now I get a couple a week, so they must've added a whole bunch of domains to their black-list.

-Fry, Futurama

4. JJ Abrams Jun 1, 2011, 14:36 kanniballl

Either Blue has to do a better job at flagging some articles as possible NSFW or my filter at work got a lot more strict. Lately articles are being blocked, I imagine because the domain is known for showing riske ads. Today's was the JJ Abrams article.

I think a lot of the "big" directors are a little over-rated, or at least ride on the coat-tails of their older stuff.

JJ Abrams probably lost a lot a respect from viewers over the ending to Lost. I liked it, but a lot of people hated it and probably hold it against him personally.

He's only "directed" a handful of stuff, most of the rest is writing and producing. In general, stuff he was involved in that I liked:

• Star Trek (the reboot)

• Fringe

• Lost

• Alias (the first few seasons)

• Forever Young

• Felicity (back in the day I thought it was... OK)

• Undercovers was... OK. Not great.

• Is he "awesome?" Eh

Is he OK? Sure

I guess my only real problem with him is he acts like he has ADD, he'll get jazzed up about a TV show and then leave to work on something else after 1-2 seasons. Then the show changes while in the hands of someone else. Alias became a bit convoluted after he handed over the reigns.

Right now Fringe is still my favorite show on TV and I'm looking forward to the next Star Trek film.

Super 8? I'll wait and see. Heck I never even saw Cloverfield, save for a few minutes when it was on TV the other day.

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Smartphone May 31, 2011, 15:31 kanniballl

Quboid wrote on May 31, 2011, 10:35:
    Do you have a smartphone Blue? I was idly wonder what your thoughts on them, and on gaming on them, are.

I don't know about Blue, but...

I've used both iPhones and Google-Android phones.

Both are excellent smart phones, and both do different things better than the other.

iPhone
    The iPhone has a more "finished" UI. For example, selecting numbers/months/web-selections has a nice feel on the iPhone, like flipping through a rolodex. While Google has an up/down arrow, kind of old-school selection. The Calendar is nicer on the iPhone. Etc.

The app-store has some more polished apps on there. I'm less afraid of picking up some spy-app or fake bank-app on there as they try to review "some" of the stuff that goes there.

It integrates well with iTunes, and doesn't take too much setting up to integrate with GMail, Google Voice, etc.

All in all, it's a very solid phone.

Google
    Voice Integration is "Da Bomb." Want to send a text-message, the Google phones will transcribe your voice pretty darn well. Pretty much and text-field is a voice-transcribable field.

More open, and more apps on the app store. It's a double-edged sword, it's more open about what you can do or install, but there's no review so be careful.

Animated desktop wallpaper, it's a nice touch.

Widgets are great. Granted you probably don't want a ton of them, but it's nice to get a quick look at the weather and top news, or disable certain radios on the phone, without having to jump into an app.

Google Voice is more native. iPhone's GVoice is an app that can run in the background if you remember, but Google Voice is built into the Android. Get a text, call, whatever and you know about it. Meanwhile you can set the PHONE to make all outgoing calls through GVoice (or all International calls, or prompt you each time).

For gaming, I've only done some stuff: angry birds, an asteroid-type game, etc. They're alright, but they tend to drain the battery fast so I wouldn't play for too long unless you have a charger nearby.

Which one do I like more? It's a tough call. I have an older Nexus One lying around that I sometimes swap to, but the battery is toast so I can't use it long.

Depending on what I want to do, sometimes I prefer one phone over the other. I normally use the iPhone, but if I think I'm going to do a lot of texting or what-not I prefer Google. It's really like a "what kind of mood am I in" type of question.

This comment was edited on May 31, 2011, 16:41.

-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Italian Seismologists Charged With Manslaughter for Not Predicting 2009 Quake May 29, 2011, 15:38 kanniballl

jimnms wrote on May 29, 2011, 13:13:
    Wow, fucking unbelievable. What's next, charging cops for crimes they weren't able to prevent?

That is IN...SANE.

There is one up-side for me though. For once, for ONCE, it's not a story about someone in the US having a complete lack of scientific understanding.

If "Government Officials" means the equivalent of a local sheriff/mayor/etc that's one thing... I guess all countries have little places where the people are either ignorant or want to make a political name for themselves.

But if this is their big government... then wow.

-Fry, Futurama

6. Satellite images of Joplin May 27, 2011, 14:54 kanniballl

Wow, that's devastating. I feel bad for those people.

It would be nice though if the "past" map was newer or if the "after" image covered more area. IE, was the area as green before hand or was it already somewhat brown due to drought?

Even still, that has to suck. That pic goes from thriving suburban community to war zone.

This comment was edited on May 27, 2011, 15:15.

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2011, 11:43 kanniballl

I only saw part of a Tornado funnel once at a distance.

I took my brother camping one time, since I was a Boy Scout for a while and was seeing if he'd be interested. The thing was a disaster: bears, heat, hiking in the heat when he wasn't prepared for, etc.

The icing on the cake: Tornado.

The park rangers came to us and warned us, shortly later the wind picked up enough to wreck tents and everything while we waited in the cars/suvs.

And in the distance I could see part of the tornado moving parallel to us. It was far enough away to not be immediately dangerous, though it's a good thing it didn't change direction.

Needless to say, my brother's first-camping-experience didn't pan out well.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 30.
    < Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo